John Banks vs Rodeos

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
xsfat

John Banks vs Rodeos

Postby xsfat » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:40 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10485237
Mayor calls for ban on 'unacceptable, undignified and cruel' rodeos - excerpts only
"This kind of behaviour is the thin edge of the wedge. I mean, we are as a society rightfully condemning of gratuitous violence of women and children but this is no more or less to these beautiful animals and someone needs to say it is wrong." The mayor said he had never been to a rodeo but had long fought against animal cruelty and was nearly arrested in Spain while fighting the promoters of bull fighting. He now wants to see tournaments banned in New Zealand.

"Teasing and distressing of these sentient animals for entertainment is unacceptable, undignified and wrong and if we look into our heart most people will agree with me. Someone has got to condemn what is wrong if we are to teach our children what is right. I hope those who witnessed the rodeo will give some thought to the cruelty the animals suffered for their pleasure," he said.

http://www.3news.co.nz/News/NationalNew ... fault.aspx
Auckland mayor condemns southern rodeo - excerpts only
A mayoral spat has erupted between Auckland and Christchurch, with John Banks attacking the Southern city for allowing a rodeo to go ahead. "[I can't believe] sophisticated leaders of that city would allow such barbaric exhibitionism at the expense of these beautiful animals to be paraded to people who are uneducated, uncouth, and bogans," says Banks.

Banks is a prominent opponent of rodeos and has banned them from being held in any Auckland City Council facilities. They are keen to take the rodeo to the Vector Arena in Auckland, saying Banks can not stop events being held on private property. "As long as I'm mayor of this city it won't happen, it wouldn't be entertained, it's not possible, it is bad, wrong, I condemn it so don't worry about it, it won't happen in Auckland," says Banks.

scott penk

Re: John Banks vs Rodeos

Postby scott penk » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:06 pm

hmm best thing ive heard about banks

he does have a bee in his bonnet about bogans tho

distilledwater

Re: John Banks vs Rodeos

Postby distilledwater » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:54 pm

yea to me this is a bit of a surprise.. i have never heard anything about him "fighting against animal cruelty"

any info anywhere about anything else he has done in this area?

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”