Advice for a training diet?

Share your recipes and great shopping spots with the rest of us.
the croc

Re: Advice for a training diet?

Postby the croc » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:15 pm

ruff wrote:Different eating regimes?

You must eat regularly, your body needs a constant supply of good food if you are even the slightest bit serious about your training.

Why is it that Punkas is full of people giving advice when the closet they have come to any real world experience is reading about it in a book?

Like I said, I'm no expert. No need to get on your high horse.

I just know that someone I know who does competition bodybuilding eats quite differently to another friend who used to do cross country at an international level. They're both trying to achieve pretty different results.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:42 pm

Why is it that Punkas is full of people giving advice when the closet they have come to any real world experience is reading about it in a book?

1) books are good. One of the pro's of being smart enough to read them.
2) punkas is full of people, and for every one that just makes up crap, theres probably two that know what theyre talking about.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Just stumbled across this blog.... some really cool advice about different vegan food groups in relation to training.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuse ... =352971310

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:50 am

Basic stuff I reckon is important ...

- Small regular meals (5-6 a day with mix of carbs, proteins, fats (avoid saturated))
- 10-20g of protein in meal/shake form directly after workout
- Drinking lots of water (muscles are made up of approx 80% water)

Worthwhile trying / reading up about...

- Creatine (Endurance/recovery) (add more reps.. add 10% more ruthless)
- Caffiene after workout (my mate lives by it ... reckons it cuts right down on muscle soreness, have to have quite a bit though apparently, big ass cup of coffee or a couple of no-dos)

My sis was having those sculp protein shakes for awhile, I reckon they'd be a pretty good one for you to look into, have loads of vitamins and overall good shit that would be woman specific. Unsure if they are vegan but you can sprinkle it on cereal n that if your worried about not having enough protein in your diet. Wouldn't get too obsessive about overloading everything with protein though, would just make for expensive protein filled piss haha

If you don't mind me asking, where abouts do you train kickboxing?

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:51 am

Awesome, cheers for that, will look into protein shakes and stuff for when I get close to tournament, how much of a difference does it make?..... I'm training at He Toa Sport in Petone, Lower Hutt. Really digging it there, reasonably small group of us and the opportunity to get time with a few different instructers.

garyasfulla

Postby garyasfulla » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:15 pm

In basic terms protein shakes will mainly help in muscle recovery, when you train you damage small tissue fibres, when you rest these then heal, hence making your muscles stronger and more ready to take the beating, protein shakes will mainly help with healing them.

Cool about He Toa, I used to train there before I got more into MMA so changed to a MMA club, you should talk to Dan about this kinda stuff, he should have good answers, also Steve, hes probably got some good advice too, I'm sure he'll turn you into a ruthless cunt in no time! haha

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Hahahah yeah Dan is a good cunt, he's been our main instructor, and really awesome, I havent actually talked to them about the vegan thing, cause I wasnt sure what their reactions would be, some people dont get that you can be a vegan sportsperson, and i get sick of the lectures, but I don't think they'll be like that. Steve has been kicking our asses last couple of weeks, which is good, cause i like training to the point of exhaustion, and its nice learning how to break peoples ribs 10 different ways! I've been a walking bruise between kickboxing and pole dancing classes (don't judge it's amazing upper body and core workout, and seems to compliment my boxing training).

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 am

Any Day Now wrote:pole dancing

:o *grins
haha nah i know a few girls that do it.

anyway, just wanted to say, dont bother with creatine, its not much good.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:16 pm

Ok sweet. Been thinking seriously about meal replacements/protein shakes...have been checking out prices on vegan essentials, but I'm guessing you can pick up powders at commonsense organics?

Pole fitness is fucking cool, I rip my body to shreds at kickboxing, so its awesome having a good session on a pole couple times a week to lengthen and stretch out all my muscles, and work on my arm strength.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm

I decided to cut out protein boosters just by eating cereals that have high amounts of protein, cheaper/easier.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro

Huey
fairy gymnast

Postby Huey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Most valuable exercises for strength and mass gains:

deadlift
squat
bench
shoulder press (barbell or db)
bent over barbell rows
dips
pull ups

(not all on the same day of course)

Compound barbell/dumbbell exercises + weighted body weight exercises is the way to go. I avoid all machines and isolation exercises are done after the compound lifts if I can be bothered.

I'm pretty shit at eating properly though (most of the time).
Because he's the hero Punkas deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Mi amore
Don't you know
My love I want you so
Sugar
You make my soul complete
Rapture tastes so sweet

Huey
fairy gymnast

Postby Huey » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:14 pm

ruff wrote:Lots of water to - currently at about 5 - 6 litres a day but this isn't quite enough. Im still retaining a little so I need to up that another 2 litres or so. When Im pissing every half hour I know Im getting enough.

WAT?

That sounds like a full time job.
Because he's the hero Punkas deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Mi amore
Don't you know
My love I want you so
Sugar
Rapture tastes so sweet

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Most valuable exercises for strength and mass gains:

deadlift
squat
bench
shoulder press (barbell or db)
bent over barbell rows
dips
pull ups

agreed on most of those.
Also, if you have a good gradient hill nearby, rep hill-sprints are pretty mint, one of the best things you can do, because it uses almost all your muscle groups, and makes your body produce some good shit.

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 pm

Creatine is a wonder-drug. Unless you're in the small minority of people it seems to dud on, it's absolutely amazing. It's cheap as chips now too.

niXon

Postby niXon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Imo people who take creatine look bloated and lose definition due to the extra water retention. Does help squeeze out an extra rep or two though.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:32 pm

From what I can gather creatine isnt vegan anyways?

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:38 pm

niXon wrote:Imo people who take creatine look bloated and lose definition due to the extra water retention. Does help squeeze out an extra rep or two though.

It doesn't just help, it pretty much does exactly what its marketing campaign says it'll do. If you're looking to up your lifts there's nothing as powerful for how much it costs.

But it isn't vegan so I guess it's irrelevant.

Huey
fairy gymnast

Postby Huey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 pm

I don't like the fact that it puts more pressure on the kidneys to retain water. When I took it I always felt uneasy taking it after I've been binge drinking because the alcohol dehydrates the body. After a few weeks I figured the creatine was unnecessary anyway and stopped taking it. Keen to give it another whirl though.

definition is much more about body fat %.

http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?imgur ... G%26um%3D1

Mi amore
Don't you know
My love I want you so
Sugar
Rapture tastes so sweet

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:16 pm

I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:29 pm

Huey wrote:I don't like the fact that it puts more pressure on the kidneys to retain water. When I took it I always felt uneasy taking it after I've been binge drinking because the alcohol dehydrates the body. After a few weeks I figured the creatine was unnecessary anyway and stopped taking it.

totally agree with this.

it always made me feel fucked, and did shit all besides.

in small doses it maybe works maybe slightly tho.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

Ventoux

Postby Ventoux » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 pm

Get Kre-Alkalyn then. Doesn't cause bloating/water retention as it's pH neutral. Heaps of cyclists/endurance athletes use it for that reason.

But not vegan so yeah, irrelevant.

Huey
fairy gymnast

Postby Huey » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Rob Anybody wrote:totally agree with this.

it always made me feel fucked, and did shit all besides.

in small doses it maybe works maybe slightly tho.

It does work, it will allow you to have a slightly more intense workout. And I do agree it's good value for money (mainly coz it’s so cheap per dose).

But I reckon ~95% of sups are not worth your money and pretty pointless anyway. What works the best is: consistent training (3-4 times a week @ 50 min - 1 hour sessions, week after week, month after month), leaving your ego at the door and eating a decent amount of protein rich food. I don't like strict diets and planning every meals coz than it becomes too much of a job, but if you like being that organized than more power to you.

I got back to about where I left off a year or so ago and am pretty keen to enter the powerlifting comp at uni gym this August. Not to win or anything. Pretty sure one of the 4-5 Arab brothers who come in to the gym will take it out. Youngest is 19 and squats over 200 for reps; genetics go a long way.

Mi amore
Don't you know
My love I want you so
Sugar
Rapture tastes so sweet

ruff

Postby ruff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:46 am

Huey wrote:week after week, month after month, leaving your ego at the door

fucking truth.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:29 pm

Any Day Now wrote:Ok, so after 5 years of debauchery to my body, I've started exercising and eating properly etc etc.

At this stage I'm looking to get my body ready to compete in two sports, Rowing and Kick boxing, but I'm finding that with a vegan diet my calorie intake consists of half carbs and 25% each of protein and fats. Obviously I'm looking to really boost my protein intake for muscle growth (and just plain health really) without eating too many processed foods. As much as i love huge amounts of green beans, I need something a bit more exciting. Oh and can anyone recommend where to get (or make) tempeh from?

Would really appreciate any advice from some vegan sports peoples please!

Fuckin good luck rowing on a vegan diet. What sorta level you looking to be rowing at? Any sort of serious training and carbs are gonna be your best friend. Salt the fuck out of all your food. Keep your sugars high too. Protein and electrolyte supplements.
I think it's lint.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:42 am

I'm not going to be rowing at a high level, I'm not too keen to going back to training twice a day 6 days a week like I used to, just don't have teh time. Even though I'm way under 30 I think my old coach is chucking me in with a masters crew, so probably train twice a week and race maybe 5 regattas over the season. I used to row at a really high level on a vegetarian diet, not that it's the same, but I handled. Seeing as I'm focusing mostly on my boxing I'm spending most of my time training for that, and to be honest I'm doing pretty well on my diet eh... I reckon if I can train for thai boxing, which is about both speed and endurance, efficiently on this diet, I could row easily on a vegan diet ;). In fact, a girl I used to row with was in the nz development squad, and was pretty much eating vegan, and she wasn't even one, seems to compliment the sport just fine in terms of nutrition.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:52 am

Yea a couple of people floating around have done ok on vegetarian/vegan diets, but the majority I have known have burnt out pretty hard. It's the exception rather than the rule though, and the guys I know who went to Beijing have diets pretty heavily dominated by red meat.

I could turn around and say to you that none of the people I know who are currently rowing for New Zealand (u19's, u23's and elite) are vegetarian or vegan, and as far as I know, none of the squad members are.

Rowing is pretty unique in the stamina levels required relative to other sports. Next level shit right there.

NZ rowings nutrition handbook advises very strongly against meatless diets, something I always found funny.

It's definitely hard to go back to high level rowing, as much as my club would like me to, I couldn't go back to 13-14 training sessions a week and no social life, although I'm not sure my back would handle it either. Good times while it lasted though, nothing like owning the private school boys at nationals, and I don't think I could ever attain that level of fitness again. What club you with?
I think it's lint.

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:28 pm

mmm, I need to get back to that fitness before I fight, but I'm looking at rowing mainly for cardio and leg strength, plus I figure I'm going to have broad shoulders forever now after I stopped, so may as well put em to use. Going back to petone. I never rowed maardi or did any school rowing, as my novie and junior crews were always a mish mash of heaps of schools, but I'm guessing the level of fitness was just as intense as training for nationals and north island champs. But yeah, not keen on ever rowing 100km on a machine ever ever again, bit passed that, so I reckon my fitness from thai boxing is going to cross over, have strong legs and shoulders, flexibility and endurance. Very complimentary. Reckon I could row a masters race no probs, maybe a quad, may even crank a single for the club for a couple of races, will be nice just to be on the water again, I miss it.

But yeah, since starting this thread a while back have a pretty tight reins on my nutrition, getting way more than 50g a protein a day, which helps, and also getting a good range of complex carbs and other nice stuff. Haven't experienced any tiredness and can get through a training session better than most, so I think I will be fine for the amount of training I want to do for rowing. I have a pretty high level of fitness now, so will be relying on my technique more than anything!

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:21 pm

The club competetions are better rowing wise. The school stuff is all wanky and "prestige". But fuck all of the maadi 8s rowers ever make it and stick it with NZ elites.

Can't remember any specific people from petone eh.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Vegetarian and Vegan”