Tasmania... anyone been. Wheres good?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
dave-brown

Tasmania... anyone been. Wheres good?

Postby dave-brown » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 pm

Any tips. ? Museums, camp spots, pubs, fishing spots. Anything really, curious, havent planned anything except ferry tickets. Got two weeks. Sleeping in van with missus and dog. Pretty self sufficient.. just need a bottle shop once every day or two. Keen on nature and also townships. Love local rural pubs and river/lake action for dog.
Read a couple books on penal colonies and definately keen to see some museum action or historical spots?
Only been to Hobart when No class played early this year. Beautiful town, and will be visiting again. Reminded me of welli a bit. But yeah?
Dustbinflowers, youre a skip.. guess im relying on you here hah
Also Ironhawk are a sick band from tassie that you cunts should check out. Once at a fest in brisbane, they played... then later that night.. they played motorhead covers for an hour. It was sick. And their singer has a peg leg

Dead Kid

Re: Tasmania... anyone been. Wheres good?

Postby Dead Kid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:03 pm

Never been before but my family is converging in Tassie on the 22nd for Xmas 'n' shit. Doing a whirl of a trip around the pubic-shaped isle so will try and post about the non-naff sights.

Going AirNZ on the 1st leg so if they could pay employees a decent wage that'd be swell:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/109165 ... -christmas
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Pubic-shaped isle.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:57 pm

I've only spent time in Hobart, Huon Valley and a couple of mountain areas. I really liked Hobart, great town. Huon Valley is pretty cool, artists and small towns and markets.
I can recommend a day at the Museum of Old and New Art. Fucking awesome place.
Next time I go back it will be to do a heap of tramping in the west of the island.
Uncinia vector

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Been to Hobart a couple of times, definitely recommend. My only excursion was a drive out to stay in Bicheno on the coast, and from what I can recall Tassie is basically a place you can go in any direction and find something awesome. Wineglass Bay was beautiful.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Dead Kid wrote:Never been before but my family is converging in Tassie on the 22nd for Xmas 'n' shit. Doing a whirl of a trip around the pubic-shaped isle so will try and post about the non-naff sights.
s

Sounds lovely. Do they put on a good spread? Maybe il join.

Ah i read thia fuckin mean book "the land god forgot" about some cunts who escaped the penal colony and turned to cannibalism (later became the film Van diemans land) and im keen to check out some spots mentioned in that book.
Port Arthur is a must see for me.
I dunno. Lets compare notes after our respective holidays.
I generally litter google reviews for my own entertainment so various tasmanian pubs and eatieries will be sure to receive some harsh and mildly intoxicated judgement. Lance actually started an instagram page for my google reviews if anyone is curious about the quality of melbourne hardware stores and bottle shops.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:13 am

Death of a Riverguide is another good Tassie book
Uncinia vector

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:12 pm

dave-brown wrote:Sounds lovely. Do they put on a good spread? Maybe il join.

Ah i read thia fuckin mean book "the land god forgot" about some cunts who escaped the penal colony and turned to cannibalism (later became the film Van diemans land) and im keen to check out some spots mentioned in that book.

About as unpunx as it gets, staying at an Airbnb in Hobart so depends on the tools at hand. This was a good read, with potential present-day cannibalism getting a mention.

Sounds like Bunnings is your Disneyland!

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Haha yeah ive heard about Queenstown. Im looking forward to it.
Yeah I guess you could say im into Bunnings.... I wonder what Bunnings in Tasmania is like.....

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:52 am

Aussie computer systems plus Melbourne domestic terminal is a recipe for a nightmare. Eventually crossed over to the simpler life though and we all met up. Feels a bit like entering an episode of LOST.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:54 am

Looks macking bro. Not a bad choice for a holiday. Most of the mainland is 40 degrees plus this week, comparitively tas is a cool mid 20s 8)
Just jumped on the boat. My dog is a massive wuss and is freaking out in her little cage. If she doesn't shit all over her bed out of anxiety in the 9 hour trip, I will be chuffed as.

I also wish i got the overnight ferry as i would be dri king pints as apposed to this povo as coffee

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:36 pm

Boxing Day turned out to be a good day to visit Port Arthur, with the annual woodchop carnival giving us a glimpse of these real life Big Lez units tearing into their logs like they were choomah mugs.

Also went to MONA in Hobart and had a laugh at some of the ridiculous stuff that passes for artwork these days, including seeing the Cloaca do its daily 2pm poo. Heading up Queenstown way tomorrow.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:54 pm

I love the Cloaca. Art is shit. So good.
Sucks to be the poor art student assistants that have to hang out in it's stink all day- that smell would stick to your clothes.
Uncinia vector

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:01 pm

James tentacles made us go to mona when no class played earlier this year. I admired the infrastructure got confused by the art and went to the bar with the rest of the band. I enjoyed the boat trip. I found the James Boags brewery today. Camping next to a macking as lake. The water looks like what nz lakes did ten years ago before they fontera fucked em.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:03 pm

That wood chopping looks like a hoot!@@

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:42 pm

Done the usual stuff in the west of Tassie, waterfalls and forests accessed via train, road or boat and not too much walking. Made it out alive with my flesh intact and on the north coast now. Nice and generous burgers at the general store/petrol station in Yolla (on Murchison Highway) for $7.50 and under. Good luck getting anything like that in Melbourne.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:04 pm

Dead Kid wrote:Done the usual stuff in the west of Tassie, waterfalls and forests accessed via train, road or boat and not too much walking. Made it out alive with my flesh intact and on the north coast now. Nice and generous burgers at the general store/petrol station in Yolla (on Murchison Highway) for $7.50 and under. Good luck getting anything like that in Melbourne.

Sounds like a good trip
I do like a good deal and i do like burgers. I'll look it up.
Glad u got out okay. Spent a day in hobart and two days drinking on my mates property in the Huon Valley. Found a mean cider brewery in the valley, Willie Smiths. Drinking a flagon of the shit right now actually. Just spent a night south of southport and another near port arthur. Good spots. Currently indulging in bogan camping culture on the east coast. Nice beaches. Tryna blast out the neighboring camps sepultura with Sham 69. Haha . Time to head back inland away from.people i think

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:22 pm

I stayed with a friend just around the corner from Willie Smith's. Was dangerous. Apparently they have a great midwinter fire festival there.
Uncinia vector

Sob Soc

Postby Sob Soc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Tasmania has never given me a lovely feeling because of the brutal massacre which occurred their in the early 90's.
Last edited by Sob Soc on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Sob Soc wrote:Tasmania has cradled a human massacre. I would stay away from it if I was you.

Multiple massacres actually, as have hundreds of other areas around Australasia. What's your point? And what's the point of staying away from them?
And thank fuck , you are not me.
And don't fucking message me.
Uncinia vector

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:57 pm

Sub soc. You are a fuckwit.
Willie smiths is awesome. Tasmania is indeed riddled with a dark history. The first ever successful genocide i have it referred to as, and given there is no living indigenous folk left ... at all. Im inclined to agree. Still despite all this. It is a nice place to visit. But for sure its important to research and recognize its past.
It is massively racist and ive given up on most rural pubs. ... met a few at a pub in Lake leake... lovely to us... but the constant "how do u live in melbourne... its so... so ... so multi cultural". Doesnt help having pro refugee stickers on your van haha.
Wouldnt even dream of hanging out in queenstown.. haha that place makes Rotorua look like a good place to raise kids. What a fuckin dive, you can smell the violence in the air. We planned on staying a night. I took one look at the local pub and walked back to the car. You can buy a fully functional 3 bedroom house for about 60,000 grand. I can afford that mortgage on my apprentice wage haha. Fuck that tho.
Anyway. The west coast is rough as guts. Its awesome. But no good in a 2wd or if u have a problem with bigots. I kkind of both those issues. Last few days. Up north. Beers in the sun. P.s hobart is the tits

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 pm

Agreed. Also cheers for the West coast tip- that's my next visit.
Uncinia vector

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:48 pm

We spent a few nights on the east coast. Didn't do a lot but liked clambering around on the rocks in Bicheno. Now in Launceston for 3 nights before going home. I don't mind a deadbeat rural pub but me mum and sister wouldn't be so keen. I do like avoiding talking to people though. ;)

The majority of buildings and whatnot in Strahan and Queenstown are run down and rusty. Entertaining to look at even if you lock your doors and keep driving. Will post up some more photos later.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:18 am

Back in the mainland. Good two weeks. Penguin was a lovely little town. Burnie was pretty amusing. The whole north coast was nice as. A little too nice, sure it will be developed soon. Those beachside towns never remain so humble for too long.
Would of liked to see more of the west coast but my 2wd van just couldnt cut it. Had to head inland at Corrin, which is a beautiful little historic village where u have to pay to drive onto a barge in order to cross the river on the south side of the settlement (which are converted into tourist accommodation, mainly older couples there doing walking tracks). Was pretty grateful for the amount of dog friendly spots. Missed out on national parks because of having the dog but there is still a lot to see.

High lights for places to visit/camp include

- Macquerie heads ( a 10km dirt track south of Strahan) its a state park with forest one side and the ocean on the other, 7$ a night paid in cash to the care taker.
-Hellyer gorge, free camping spot in some lush as woods on the western side of the island.
-Port Arthur . Costs $40 to get in but has a lot of historical insight
-Hobart, its just a beautiful town that can't be overlooked. Ironhawk good local band. The Brisbane hotel, good watering hole.
-Willie and Smiths cidery, Huon Valley. A cider selection that will blow your socks off. Fill up some flagons before you leave.
- Cockle creek, Free camping at the southern point of the island, busy in December but not too bad in january.
-Lake Brady, free camping on the river by the lake. Pretty remote, pretty chill. Central, south of great lakes.
-the drive over the great lakes through the guts of the island. Fuckin beautiful.
-Rocky hills, free camping on the beachfront mid east coast. Popular as and its quite busy but turn up early in the day and you can get an ok spot.
-Queenstown and Zeehan, two towns close together on the west coast, both pretty good for a look. I wouldn't hang around though. You can smell the violence in the air. The state of those places is just mind boggling. Straight up Gummo styled shit going on aye. Kids just sitting there watching cars drive through, reminds me of parts of Rotorua... but more fucked. The only other place I've experienced that level of troublesome small towns was in rural Poland. Where kids sat by the train bridge in a field... then pelted the communist era train with rocks as we rolled through. Just poor kids with nothing to do ya know.
-Oatlands - tiny town in south east midlands. Purely the architecture. Working in carpentry i get excited about this kind of thing
-deloraine. Nice town north of the great lakes. Has a quaint river rolling through it.
-st peters pass, didnt stop there. But drove past and read a funny story about it. Its a hook up spot for cruisers. Was scene of a some horrendous hate crimes a while back which is pretty grim. But the story we read online was a guy talking about his sexual encounter there, where he got a blowie through the glory hole from the ghost of "Charlie Bill"
-eating the local delicacy, curried scollop pie
Pretty intense, rich as and odd being that scallops are a delicacy, pies are usually shit meat ya know. I liked it but i think maybe just once a year type of treat. The pastry was good actually which is rare as Australia cant make a pie to save itself .
- This old guy phil I met in Strahan. He was from king island, (pretty remote)had his labradoodle tattooed on his forearm and was funny as. Told us how to catch and cook mutton bird. How seagull wasn't good eating and how soaking possum in milk overnight made for a good meal

Low lights
- all the racists i met. There was a lot.
-Avenue records in Launceston, the only record shop i visited the whole trip and the selection was pretty bollox. No record player to listen to the quality of second hand shit. Tbh its probably not that bad.. im just a spoilt brat living in melbourne. But the guy was rude and i just wanted to listen to this Moana and the Moa hunters 7" and i couldn't
- every cunt who owns a jetski and ruined Lake Barrington for me
- Tara leigh. Abandoned town which was populated with workers building the hydro dam once upon a time. Its turned into this weird commercial village full of wankers with one cafe with two things on the menu. Its just a line of jooshed up cottages for hire on a hill where u look down and theres some pipes and shit. When I heard abandoned town i got excited. When we got there it was middle ages pricks in kathmandu puffer vests sipping lattes.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Russell Falls

Road into Queenstown

Typical Queenstown abodes

Typical Strahan abode

They're particularly excited that Pringles have reached Zeehan now

Also, I didn't get a photo of it as we drove past, but saw this house:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-28/ ... n/10316370

dave-brown wrote:When we got there it was middle ages pricks in kathmandu puffer vests sipping lattes.

:lol: Maybe I shouldn't laugh as I was wearing a Kathmandu t-shirt when I read this. But it was a gift in my fav colour and at least I'm not a shill as the logo kindly came off in the wash.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Dead Kid wrote:Russell Falls

Road into Queenstown

Typical Queenstown abodes

Typical Strahan abode

They're particularly excited that Pringles have reached Zeehan now

Also, I didn't get a photo of it as we drove past, but saw this house:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-28/ ... n/10316370

dave-brown wrote:When we got there it was middle ages pricks in kathmandu puffer vests sipping lattes.

:lol: Maybe I shouldn't laugh as I was wearing a Kathmandu t-shirt when I read this. But it was a gift in my fav colour and at least I'm not a shill as the logo kindly came off in the wash.

Russell falls looks sweet. Where was that. Haha man queenstown is rungus aye. Lol yeah i went to that pringles supermarket. It was pretty funny. They just dice their own cabbage and grate carrots and put it ina ziplock bag and label it as Coleslaw

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:37 am

Russell Falls was an easy detour into Mount Field National Park an hour west of Hobart.

Another we ogled was Leven Canyon (inland from Penguin). Kinda need the bars in the photo to hint at how far down it is. Good thing I diddle around with my camera as much as actually looking at shit. It's wallet-sized but quite the beast.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Macquerie heads,
Looks a bit like nz

Giant penguin

Southport

Port Arthur

Lake Brady

Lake Brady, river inlet

Me choking my dog on a mountain ( north of great lakes)

Important site

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Looks like an excellent tour. Nice pics.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:27 pm

I missed seeing Penguin itself and missed stopping for any of Tassie's big things. Did see a lobster and cherry of mildly amusing sizes and the 'cosmic egg' in St Helens, but I haven't really done it properly have I?

Dead Kid wrote:Nice and generous burgers at the general store/petrol station in Yolla (on Murchison Highway) for $7.50 and under. Good luck getting anything like that in Melbourne.

Evidence found. Preparing my lil mouth for nibbling at it like a gerbil.

Return to “Miscellaneous”