What´s for eats?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
Max

Re: What´s for eats?

Postby Max » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:16 am

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:24 pm

Really hungry, back in Dunedin with no food in the house. Really want pizza but it is raining, I'd have to get dressed and probably nothing is open. First world problems.
Uncinia vector

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:38 am

Cooked my own PHO. Okay, i have to try again.

Max

Postby Max » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:56 pm

Finally got hard boiled eggs down. Steaming is better than boiling as with most things. 12 minutes otherwise they go green and tasteless. put them in cold water for 5 minutes afterwards. Crack them in the middle and peal with the flat of your thumb.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:36 pm

Green?! Wtf are you doing with them?
Also 12 minutes seems like a long time.
I tend to start in cold water, bring to boil and plunge into cold water after 4 minutes.
Uncinia vector

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 am

Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:51 am

Smoked salmon and summer veges, left over from the guided group of walkers I cooked for last night.
Uncinia vector

Max

Postby Max » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:18 pm

Leeks are awesome. Not really part of the traditional kiwi meat and 3 veg with potatoes, carrots and peas/cabbage/cauli/whatever but honestly one of the best veges you can eat. Get over the anti-Welsh prejudice.

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:11 am

Got stuck into cooking a vege lasagne last night to enjoy with a bottle of red and the footy. Layers of mushroom, eggplant, zucchini, bechamel, fresh mozzarella, tomato/basil sauce and plenty of fresh parmesan. Pretty happy with the result, and leftover work lunch today was fappable.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Goddamn that looks good.

I'm eating a can of spaghetti someone left behind. Added the last of my cheddar cheese to it. I am looking forwards to resupply day tomorrow when my groceries will come in.
Uncinia vector

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks!

Tonight's a very different picture... I mean, how is it even possible that I can buy from the supermarket a bunch of bananas, a proper heavy loaf of German blitzbread, a tub of organic yogurt, a 1.5 of mineral wasser and a 700ml of wodka for 9,95 euro?? I fucking love this country sometimes. European dinner is served! Not to mention the wodka is Berlin's finest brand Gorbatschow! :lol:

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:18 am

@Dusties, I didn't mean for that to sound as a brag or anything. Just got a bit excited for my score.

What do you mean by resupply? Are you in the bush? Not stranded from weather fuckery I hope...?

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 pm

Food is definately cheaper in Germany.
Aussie is okay as I have Vietnamese green grocers for dirt cheap, aldi, and also the bins are chockas. But when I was back in nz at Christmas the cost of food actually blew me away. Its fucked . Especially fresh produce .
I got fruit from road side vendors and ate bp pies. The supermarkets were absurdly expensive

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Kerry wrote:Thanks!

Tonight's a very different picture... I mean, how is it even possible that I can buy from the supermarket a bunch of bananas, a proper heavy loaf of German blitzbread, a tub of organic yogurt, a 1.5 of mineral wasser and a 700ml of wodka for 9,95 euro?? I fucking love this country sometimes. European dinner is served! Not to mention the wodka is Berlin's finest brand Gorbatschow! :lol:

That does sound brag-worthy.
I'm managing a tramping lodge in Fiordland. Got most of the groceries I ordered, no fresh veges turned up though.
Too busy to actually stop and make a meal -since Milford and Routeburn have been shut it has been 45 people every night. I almost ate a can of cold canned corn beef today as a meal. Luckily my work mate put crackers and cheese in front of me.
Bed. Six hours before I have to get up again.
Uncinia vector

Max

Postby Max » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:19 pm

I stayed at a cabin in the Fagaras mountains in Romania where the owners kept goats and provided goat soup and milk. Nearest shop was about 6 hours walk away so they had to be self sufficient. Their son was competent in English.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:58 pm

I do cook porridge in the mornings for every visitor. I think we should just do basic guesthouse soup. Still, the fancy rich people pay for the track..
Uncinia vector

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:10 pm

I just made a vegan, gluten free corn chowder as an alternative to the seafood chowder served at the lodge I work at. Yum!
Uncinia vector

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:10 am

Sounds mean dude

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:40 am

Came home late last night after a jam sesh and half a bottle of whisky, and chowed down on some midnight rollmops. Dave has video evidence. Dave, please delete said evidence.

First time I've smashed pickled herring as a midnight snack. Not sure how I feel about it. I think the intention was too reduce hangoverness the next day. Can't tell if it worked or not.

For eats later will be borscht and pickles chased with vodka at a Russian bar for a pal's birthday. They have garlic vodka. It's nasty but kind of good. Will also kill anything Corona-related.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 pm

" Oh mate look at that, you beauuuuuty. You beauty. Wait a sec , il just take out the wood " - Kerry

A quote from incriminating footage of a very intoxicated and simultanepusly salivating man way to enthusiastic about eating a "Roll Mop". A disgusting German delicacy of a salted fish wrapped around a pickle and held in place with a toothpick. Something about preserved fish wrapped around a pickle and kept In salty water just seems un appealing to any sane person.
I would upload the video but luckily for Kerry I am a massive luddite
Lol.
Keep em coming Kerry

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:35 am

:lol:

Nothing wrong with pickled herring man! Although I do prefer matjesfilet, which is brined rather than pickled. Goes well in a bread roll with raw onion and cucumber. Typical Hamburg sando.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:29 pm

I actually had to look up rollmop, not something a typical kiwi eats at 3 am while pissed out of his/her tree (horrible steak and pepper pie from the servo is a more typical part of kiwi and aussie cuisine). We don't normally pickle our fish, but the euros have carried on with their preserving traditions despite the invention of refrigeration.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:39 am

Max wrote: but the euros have carried on with their preserving traditions despite the invention of refrigeration.

Hahaha good call

My recent stumble in the door at 4am dinner has been fish finger wraps. I'm a pretty big fan. Also the white trash, white bread, tomato sauce fishfinger sandwich is always a drunk please.
There is something nostalgic and comforting about fish fingers. The "sausage of the sea".

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:41 am

Love a good sea sosig.

Max wrote: but the euros have carried on with their preserving traditions despite the invention of refrigeration.

Man, I ate a "Russisch Ei" (Russian egg) a while ago from the supermarket, which was a boiled and halved egg set in aspic made in fucking 1956, with a couple of sad pieces of carrot and a blob of mayonnaise and I got a real bad case of the runny nasties. Never again. Why? I don't know. It called out to me. The two egg halves and mayo blob seemed to form a friendly smile.

Had a fairly wholesome weekend just been, and made a big batch of tomato chutney, litre jar of dill pickles and some sourdough for pizza and focaccia. Tomato chutney made with charred sweet capsicum, ginger, red onion, garlic and cardamom. Turned out bloody awesome.

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:20 am

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:49 am

Have been cooking and preserving a fair bit, since I am stuck back in Port Chalmers.
Frozen chicken stock, some frozen fish stock from the remains of the hapuka that my pirate dropped off at the doorstep, a few jars of apple-onion spiced chutney today.
Most excitingly, a friend just sent me maps of wild hops sites within half an hours walk from my house. Yessssss
Uncinia vector

Drax

Postby Drax » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:52 pm

I don't care if this guy is getting money from his vids, he's a fucking maniac for actually eating some of this.

Max

Postby Max » Sat May 02, 2020 4:29 pm

Tried Hello Fresh, it's good... tasty, and I learned a few things about cooking. Just don't think I want my meals dictated to me every day so I don't think their business model is a long term proposition, they won't get many permanent customers. They tend to hassle people when they unsubscribe. Recommendation is to try it for a couple of weeks then tell them to fuck off.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sat May 02, 2020 8:20 pm

Made from scratch with a tiny bit of help - procrastination pizza. Because by the time I got around to it, the pizza shops have already reopened here. To be fair, I've still been working though.

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Dubpunker

Postby Dubpunker » Wed May 06, 2020 4:29 am

:wink: Spargel

Return to “Miscellaneous”