Tool time...

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
dave-brown

Re: Tool time...

Postby dave-brown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:53 am

Tax return = brand new nail gun
Couldnt afford the Hilti, but the new paslodes have upped their game and its not too shabby

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:24 pm

I need to buy a hedge trimmer.
I think it's lint.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:22 am

im currently making a bunch of leatherwork tools, cooler than buying them and since theyre around $20 each, cheaper.
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 pm

My no name drill finally fucked out. I want something good but jaysus they are expensive.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:32 am

the croc wrote:My no name drill finally fucked out. I want something good but jaysus they are expensive.

BOSCH impact driver and drill 18v 5 ah for $450 is the deal of the century .
Nah if u want half decent cheap shit AEG is actually not too bad. Its rumoured to be made in Milwaulkee factorys. I know tradies who use it on a professional level. I wouldnt. But for round the home its far better than ryobi or ozito.

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:02 pm

I heard Jeffrey Dahmer used one on rent boys.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Red_switch wrote:I need to buy a hedge trimmer.

Me too, and a wee chainsaw. I have a Stihl scrub bar, hoping I can find a hedge cutting attachment for it- although it will probably be too heavy for me to use. Omg, it will be awesome though.
Uncinia vector

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 pm

its kinda a hard choice between complete crap cheap or high quality-cheap, cos if you go for the top of the range handyman tools they are still handyman, and wont last forever, i have a grinder i got for $15 from supercheap $10 years ago, admittedly i dont use it too often, as i have a hitachi as well, and it has no guard, so is useless for carving, but ive been expecting it to fuck out since i first bought it, and its still hanging about.

kinda gotta bit of beef with ozito tho, those fuckin things are junk
"Look how happy he is"

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:40 pm

I find it's best to buy hand and power tools I need to actually work from proper trade stores and anything else can come from Bunnings as most of it is single or occasional use stuff I'll just add to the pile.

Ozito have apparently upped their game with that new 18v stuff, and you can always take it straight back no questions asked if it's garbage.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:09 pm

yeh, i dunno, i bought a battery drill and 'renovator' tool a couple of years ago, which went well for a while until the chuck seized open, the renovator tool is of limited use, but that my fault for buying it, not theirs, my ex had one of their orbital sanders which shat itself after not much use, and my dad has had one of their belt sanders which fucked out when i was using it too.

im fuckin tempted to buy one of these, even if it fucks out i can mount the sanding attachment on a better bench grinder, cos you cant buy just the attachment for that price.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-bench- ... _p00323486
"Look how happy he is"

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:58 pm

Corded drills any good? I don't need to be away from a plug and there seems to be a pretty massive price difference. Nothing profesh, mostly just wood-screws and the like.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:36 am

Rizzo wrote:Corded drills any good? I don't need to be away from a plug and there seems to be a pretty massive price difference. Nothing profesh, mostly just wood-screws and the like.

Typically speaking, the only powered drills you get these days are heavy duty, hammer action types for steel and concrete. If your screwing into timber you want something with way less torque, the gearing systems on less powerful battery drills are better suited.
Drilling holes? Then dw about gearing. But for putting in various types of fixings into different timbers, then the electric drills will stitch ya up.
Putting in tougher fixings, like roofing screws with electric drills can totally fuck your wrists too, as with no gearing, theres no clutch and they can do damage when they jam up.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:54 am

I just stick with Ryobi for the few tools I do need, borrow off builder mates on the rare occasions that I need something heavy duty.

Have a Ryobi cordless electric lawnmower. Couldn't be fucked with a petrol mower when we were buying, and there wasn't much else cordless available. I'm pleasantly surprised with how well it goes. It's light as fuck too, and you can have a conversation with someone without having to shut the thing off.

About to get stuck into sorting out the backyard. Tempted to build a mini ramp, though plywood doesn't seem to be getting any cheaper. Is it still a normal thing to be able to scrounge cover sheets from timber yards? Are dedicated timber yards even still a thing?
I think it's lint.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm

some industrial areas put out plywood boxes, can get some quite large sheets for free, i get thru a lot of plywood, but i just get a sheet everytime i need a trailer, its cheaper to buy a sheet of ply and take home the courtesy trailer, than it is to just hire a trailer, so i usually have a few spare sheets of the cheap stuff.

my olds just bought me this
which is an oddball thing indeed, but should be very useful for carving and all the other weird shit i do.

im still weighing up that ozito belt sander, i have decided id be better to build a linisher, but i still think for $90 il get my moneys worth.
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:18 am

9seconds wrote:yeh, i dunno, i bought a battery drill and 'renovator' tool a couple of years ago, which went well for a while until the chuck seized open, the renovator tool is of limited use, but that my fault for buying it, not theirs, my ex had one of their orbital sanders which shat itself after not much use, and my dad has had one of their belt sanders which fucked out when i was using it too.

im fuckin tempted to buy one of these, even if it fucks out i can mount the sanding attachment on a better bench grinder, cos you cant buy just the attachment for that price.

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-bench- ... _p00323486

I wouldn't bother with anything under 500W Phil.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:26 am

I've had my idea on this for a while. No idea on quality though https://www.bestdeals.co.nz/online-shog ... er-11.html

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:41 am

that does look like the business, for that price at least.

however, ive decided il make one of these today, and that solves my immediate problem, i can replace the stones/paper with a decent file to do bevels if i need to, and then il look at building a linisher attachment for a benchgrinder i already have.

the ozito was really just a stopgap, something i can afford right now and im told stands up to light use, and has a no questions asked warranty.
but the sharpening jig is all i need today, i need to put edges on some blades that have never had any, and like 99% of people i suck at sharpening knives anyway, so im sure i wont regret making it.
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:26 pm

the croc wrote:I've had my idea on this for a while. No idea on quality though https://www.bestdeals.co.nz/online-shog ... er-11.html

heres a review of a similar thing, looks like a clone, so will probably be about the same, if the belt can be lifted to run vertically i am keen as, can easily sort out the crappy platforms

"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:04 pm

I'm pretty sure there is a single design they just swap out colours for different companies. Seen quite a few different companies selling them,

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:06 pm

I bought all the bits to make this a few months ago but just never got around to it

the croc

Postby the croc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 pm

I bought all the bits to make this a few months ago but just never got around to it

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:22 pm

the croc wrote:I'm pretty sure there is a single design they just swap out colours for different companies. Seen quite a few different companies selling them,

the shogun actually has a different design on the bit that folds up, giving the platform extra support for when the linishing belt is upright, im fair convinced i want it, but i dont think im gunna have the money before the special finishes
"Look how happy he is"

Drax

Postby Drax » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:27 am

dave-brown wrote:
Rizzo wrote:Corded drills any good? I don't need to be away from a plug and there seems to be a pretty massive price difference. Nothing profesh, mostly just wood-screws and the like.

Typically speaking, the only powered drills you get these days are heavy duty, hammer action types for steel and concrete. If your screwing into timber you want something with way less torque, the gearing systems on less powerful battery drills are better suited.
Drilling holes? Then dw about gearing. But for putting in various types of fixings into different timbers, then the electric drills will stitch ya up.
Putting in tougher fixings, like roofing screws with electric drills can totally fuck your wrists too, as with no gearing, theres no clutch and they can do damage when they jam up.

What Dave said. Fuckin sound advice. Considerable price difference but you can get a decent DIY cordless drill, charger and battery for pretty fuckin cheap now. Still more expensive than the cheapest, shittiest corded drill you'll find in shops but the clutch on them alone makes it worth it for what you're needing it for.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:59 pm

Saw this today. Turns one of those shitty bench sanders into a 2x72.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:08 am

ho, shit, i saw that too but didnt recognise it for what it was
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am

actually, watching this video, im not sure im into it.

i was getting a bit angsty that im not gunna have the readies by next tues(when the special for that shogun you posted ends, i will on wed tho, haha) but im thinking i might be better off going another route.

i dunno if you saw my thread in that same group about the ozito, but from what i was told there i came to realise that the reason people home make belt grinders is for the larger belts, more range of grits, better quality and cheaper, i had been wondering.
thats all this attachment does, but is it cheaper than just making one? and look how much it shakes around, most of the home build guys are very keen to show off how solid their grinders are, and i have a feeling il get very pissed off with some dinky plasticky thing wobbling around, i already hate my dremel scroll saw for that reason
"Look how happy he is"

Return to “Miscellaneous”