Fuckin love Tool. Danny Carey is the best drummer ever!
Just jokes Dave.
I'm slowly building up my tool collection. Trying to just invest in one decent thing every time a project/fix-up job comes along that I need it for.
I can say from what I've encountered at my job selling this shit, the following seems to be the case:
- Makita is a good, all-round (if you're not wanting to hit up the real high-end shit like AEG and Milwaukee). Also as far as special orders and supplying spare parts goes, they're on top of their shit.
- A lot of tradies regard DeWalt as fairly overrated.
- We get a lot of DeWalt 18v drills coming back in for repair. More frequently than B&D ones. Bit of a red flag since a) we sell more B&D tools than DeWalt, b) DeWalt is supposed to be the trade brand out of the two, and c) they're owned by the same company.
- B&D cordless drills and weed eaters are, generally, reliable as fuck.
- Avoid McCulloch chainsaws.
- Some of the powertools put out by the cheaper brands are actually decent as (this will already be obvious to most of you). The main problem is that pretty much you won't know if a particular model is good or shit until you put it to the test. For example, Jobmate, the shitty home brand that Mitre 10 sells a ton of stuff under, can be absolute rubbish or quite good depending on who the manufacturer is. The vast majority of it is cheap and nasty generic stuff with the brand slapped on, but some of their shit is pretty good. Their petrol weed eaters are pretty fuckin reliable.
I wish I had more customers wanting to order in Milwaukee and Metabo tools. I don't get to have a play with that stuff much since it's not regularly stocked where I work.
As far as hand tools goes, if you want to make sure you get good quality bladed tools, check where the specific item is made. A lot of brands get different stuff manufactured all over the place. For example, if it's Bahco, and its made in France or Sweden, its the best of their cutting tools. Scandinavian countries and Japan make really good blades. Also, and this only really applies to old farts (I mean old farts as in actual old people who don't even use the internet, not the older posters on here), don't write off something just because it's made in China/Taiwan. Bahco's socket sets are made in Taiwan and they're good as fuck.