Tool time...

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
hiv-positive

Re: Tool time...

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 pm

dave-brown wrote:Festool is so fuckin pricy and i cant justify splashing out that much.

Yeah, I was sort of joking there, but at the same time not really because if I could ever afford it I'd have a full set of it in the proper cases and everything and then just smugly bask in the warm glow of never letting anyone within touching distance.

I've worked in a few places who have a bunch of it and it's just awesome.

Anyway, I had to be all grown up over the weekend and buy a lawnmower, so I grabbed one of those ridiculous Ryobis with the Subaru engine for larks.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:30 pm

i cant imagine buying a new lawn mower
"Look how happy he is"

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Well, it's pretty bloody simple mate. Just close your eyes and picture yourself walking into the store...

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 pm

i mean id buy a crappy old one and spend as much time trying to make it go as i do actually mowing.
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:17 pm

I bought a second hand Masport 4 years ago for $180 and it's still going hard. The timing was always a bit fucked and I've only changed the oil once but it still does good job.

I love doing the lawns. Something really satisfying about it.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:05 pm

hiv-positive wrote:
dave-brown wrote:
Anyway, I had to be all grown up over the weekend and buy a lawnmower, so I grabbed one of those ridiculous Ryobis with the Subaru engine for larks.

Did this the other day - we have fuck all grass so bought the 1800W Ryobi, she's a bloody ripper

Also bought a stud finder. Endless jokes.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 pm

9seconds wrote:i mean id buy a crappy old one and spend as much time trying to make it go as i do actually mowing.

Yeah, sorry, just jokes bro. I've spent my entire adult mowing career with hand me downs and cheap pieces of shit, so it was nice to actually just pick one myself for once.

the croc wrote:I bought a second hand Masport 4 years ago for $180 and it's still going hard. The timing was always a bit fucked and I've only changed the oil once but it still does good job.

I love doing the lawns. Something really satisfying about it.

I just couldn't be fucked going on some random hunt for a used mower.

I hate doing the lawns and the stupid whipper snipping with all the daft fuel mixing and bullshit.

PertHJ wrote:Did this the other day - we have fuck all grass so bought the 1800W Ryobi, she's a bloody ripper

Suppose you have the excuse of minimal grass, but as much as I hate mowing I couldn't live with owning an electric one.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:36 pm

hahahaah fuck.

i briefly dabbled in lawnmowing for a job, fuck it, i hate doing lawns, such a pointless activity.

i have only ever heard one realistic justification for it too.
"Look how happy he is"

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 pm

I spent two hours tryna do my back lawn with a weed whacker on sunday. I was horendously drunk and couldnt get the line in properly and it kept flipping out after a couple minutes of whacking. I should of really given up but on i went. The neighbours would of had a hoot listening to me swear away. My dog kind of watch bemused with a judgemental look in her eyes.
...if only festool made weed whackers. The germans would surely have a better system for changing the cord.

A lawn mower would be a better option i feel.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:15 pm

what ya do is, stick a fuckin coat hanger in there, doesnt break so much, bad news when it does tho
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:51 am

PertHJ wrote:Did this the other day - we have fuck all grass so bought the 1800W Ryobi, she's a bloody ripper

Suppose you have the excuse of minimal grass, but as much as I hate mowing I couldn't live with owning an electric one.

With the amount of grass that most Auckland homes have, I don't see any reason why anyone needs a petrol lawnmower. And I've heard that the more expensive battery powered lawnmowers are pretty heavy duty too.

Electric is awesome
- Quieter
- Lighter
- Smaller
- Don't have to piss about getting petrol
- simple as fuck to start/stop

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 am

dave-brown wrote:the germans would surely have a better system for changing the cord.

Get one of those tri head attachments and you just chop lengths of cord and bung it in as required.

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 pm

dave-brown wrote:I spent two hours tryna do my back lawn with a weed whacker on sunday. I was horendously drunk and couldnt get the line in properly and it kept flipping out after a couple minutes of whacking. I should of really given up but on i went. The neighbours would of had a hoot listening to me swear away. My dog kind of watch bemused with a judgemental look in her eyes.
...if only festool made weed whackers. The germans would surely have a better system for changing the cord.

A lawn mower would be a better option i feel.

I used to use a Stihl scrub bar for work, chuck a blade on that and they cut through pretty much anything. Do eight hours on one of those and you don't stop vibrating for a couple of hours afterwards. They cost about a grand though.

I've got a line trimmer I got for free off my neighbour, no idea what the brand is but it's frustrating how weak the line on it is. It won't fit anything bigger.

9seconds wrote:what ya do is, stick a fuckin coat hanger in there, doesnt break so much, bad news when it does tho
Haha fuck that

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Some brands you can get flails for. They work pretty well for long grass. I love my stihl scrub bar.
Uncinia vector

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:47 pm

yeh stihl all the way, wish i hadnt sold mine
"Look how happy he is"

Drax

Postby Drax » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Fuckin love Tool. Danny Carey is the best drummer ever!

Just jokes Dave.

I'm slowly building up my tool collection. Trying to just invest in one decent thing every time a project/fix-up job comes along that I need it for.

I can say from what I've encountered at my job selling this shit, the following seems to be the case:
- Makita is a good, all-round (if you're not wanting to hit up the real high-end shit like AEG and Milwaukee). Also as far as special orders and supplying spare parts goes, they're on top of their shit.
- A lot of tradies regard DeWalt as fairly overrated.
- We get a lot of DeWalt 18v drills coming back in for repair. More frequently than B&D ones. Bit of a red flag since a) we sell more B&D tools than DeWalt, b) DeWalt is supposed to be the trade brand out of the two, and c) they're owned by the same company.
- B&D cordless drills and weed eaters are, generally, reliable as fuck.
- Avoid McCulloch chainsaws.
- Some of the powertools put out by the cheaper brands are actually decent as (this will already be obvious to most of you). The main problem is that pretty much you won't know if a particular model is good or shit until you put it to the test. For example, Jobmate, the shitty home brand that Mitre 10 sells a ton of stuff under, can be absolute rubbish or quite good depending on who the manufacturer is. The vast majority of it is cheap and nasty generic stuff with the brand slapped on, but some of their shit is pretty good. Their petrol weed eaters are pretty fuckin reliable.

I wish I had more customers wanting to order in Milwaukee and Metabo tools. I don't get to have a play with that stuff much since it's not regularly stocked where I work.

As far as hand tools goes, if you want to make sure you get good quality bladed tools, check where the specific item is made. A lot of brands get different stuff manufactured all over the place. For example, if it's Bahco, and its made in France or Sweden, its the best of their cutting tools. Scandinavian countries and Japan make really good blades. Also, and this only really applies to old farts (I mean old farts as in actual old people who don't even use the internet, not the older posters on here), don't write off something just because it's made in China/Taiwan. Bahco's socket sets are made in Taiwan and they're good as fuck.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:34 pm

Drax wrote:- Makita is a good, all-round (if you're not wanting to hit up the real high-end shit like AEG and Milwaukee).

Overall, I've found Makita is the best option for variety and dealing with issues.

A lot of guys I've worked with end up buying the biggest sets they can get from the US, shipping them here, and then just grabbing a couple of local chargers and still saving coin. One guy reckons you can get an electrician to swap out the plugs and that somewhere in the insides there's a basic switch to convert them to 240v. Honestly not sure if this is true, but interesting all the same.

- Some of the powertools put out by the cheaper brands are actually decent as

Old boss of mine was doing a massive concrete job and their big drill shat itself in the first five minutes, so he sent one of the guys off to Kmart to buy as many of the shitty hammer drills they had with the idea they'd just destroy them over the day and write off the couple of hundred bucks. The first one they used still works to this day.

Bahco's socket sets are made in Taiwan and they're good as fuck.

Yep. So good.

Really keen on a set of those traditional Japanese hand saws. Seen a few people with them and they're mean, especially when cutting fiddly little things.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 pm

this is my next toy most likely, i was gunna try to make something with a tattoo gun and a broken scroll saw blade, but why reinvent the wheel?

http://www.proxxontools.co.nz/?pg=t&too ... mothht230v
"Look how happy he is"

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:47 pm

9seconds wrote:but why reinvent the wheel?

Because it's about the journey and not the destination Frodo.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"
After the abandoned potato tree

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 pm

yeh, well what if the journey is probably as frustrating as it is pointless?
"Look how happy he is"

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Re Japanese hand saws- cannot recommend Silky Fox enough
http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/
Uncinia vector

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:20 pm

Drax wrote: Also, and this only really applies to old farts (I mean old farts as in actual old people who don't even use the internet, not the older posters on here), don't write off something just because it's made in China/Taiwan. Bahco's socket sets are made in Taiwan and they're good as fuck.

This.

I'm on quite a few blacksmithing/knife making Facebook pages and the Americans are the worst at doing this. Anything American made is the best ever and anything made overseas is useless crap. Can't argue with them their heads are so far up their arse/ass.

I recommended buying belt grinder parts off Aliexpress as it is considerably cheaper. People said no way they were buying Chinese made crap. Look at the price difference for a part that is pretty much impossible to fuck up no matter where it's made. I'm pretty sure the US sold ones are imported anyway, they don't even claim they are US made.

Murica!

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:28 pm

ive been thinking about how im gunna make a belt grinder, i figure im just gunna use a bench grinder like this.

either that or il just buy an ozito one
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:35 pm

Yeah you can get pretty fucking deep into it eh.

If you know how to weld a 2 x 72 seems pretty straight forward to make. Rip a variable speed motor out of an old treadmill and get some cheap skateboard wheels and you're pretty much set.

I was looking at getting one of these just for shaping handles and doing all my steel work by hand/with an angle grinder until getting a bit more money together.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchR ... chType=all

I've got everything to make a proper filing jig just haven't got around to putting it together yet.

Kiwirail were doing some work behind our place a few months ago and cut these and deleivered them free of charge. Good cunts

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:13 pm

Is that just raw steel? How're you gonna break it down?
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:07 pm

for using as an anvil, its no use for knives, heres some pix of mine, the crappy one to the right is one my dad got cut up by somebody, needs a fair bit of work, the track has a wicked curve too, but might be helpful for something.

"Look how happy he is"

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:26 am

I don't have a lawn because I live in a dystopian apartment block full of shit people like me, which is located on the edge of a satellite town north of Brisbane on what is affectionately known as the methamphetamine coast. Ironically it's right on the edge of it and across the road there's a paddock full of cows, llamas and assorted ruminants who are like natures lawn mowers.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:06 am

Just buy a house

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:36 pm

General Mutante wrote:I don't have a lawn because I live in a dystopian apartment block full of shit people like me, which is located on the edge of a satellite town north of Brisbane on what is affectionately known as the methamphetamine coast. Ironically it's right on the edge of it and across the road there's a paddock full of cows, llamas and assorted ruminants who are like natures lawn mowers.

should of come watch the boys play last night andy. Currently drinking at the Boundry hotel, Brisbane

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:22 pm

He's too busy at home waiting for society to fall.
Uncinia vector

Return to “Miscellaneous”