Where would you move to in NZ?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
9seconds

Re: Where would you move to in NZ?

Postby 9seconds » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:10 pm

i hadnt, but im more concerned with permanent structures.

have you seen superadobe?

http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/Testing/superadobe.htm
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 pm

9seconds wrote:i hadnt, but im more concerned with permanent structures.

have you seen superadobe?

http://www.earthbagbuilding.com/Testing/superadobe.htm

I hadn't.

I think you could make hexayurts more permanent, haven't looked into it too much.

Anyway back on topic this place looks dope: http://www.trademe.co.nz/property/resid ... 183129.htm

My step daughters Dad lives in Wellington so I'm kinda stuck around here but maybe in a few years (like 15). Get a little micro hydro power set up, few cattle beasts, shut off...
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:59 pm

how about cordwood? shit looks damn cool
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:15 pm

Looks cool but sounds like it has terrible insulation properties. I like being warm.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:42 am

haha, nah it doesnt really, if its done right, only compared to things with especially good insulation, like strawbale, my intention is to use it for internal walls anyway, as a feature, slipstraw is key.
"Look how happy he is"

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:54 am

hiv-positive wrote:Been toying with the idea of moving back to NZ in the next few years now that I've got a little hiv to look after and the soulless big city rat race doesn't seem like the best environment for a kid.

Probably more inclined to go rural / small town but close enough to commute to a major city for work and sanity reasons. Up to an hour away would be fine, which might be insane by NZ standards, but not really an issue after years of metropolis vibes.

Any ideas? Secret gem towns? Total avoids?

I like the idea of somewhere down South like out of Dunedin or Christchurch, either on the coast on nestled in the mountains somewhere, though I've never lived there and wonder about the vibe of the populace. Definitely not Auckland or Hamilton, and I'm probably rinsed out on Wellington.

U have a smol hiv?!? That's awesome, dude!! Omfg, have I got a region for u #wairarapa
"Personally, monsieur," said Poirot, "I don't give le fuck."

Shoot first, think never!

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:16 pm

Thought about the Wairarapa, just not sure what I'd do there or if the commute would be viable. Looks ideal though in plenty of ways, though I'm still romanticising down south a bit.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:58 am

Invercargill
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Huntly.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Christ, may as well move to fucking Hamilton

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:15 pm

Huntly is Hamilton distilled down to its base elements.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:30 pm

And Hamilton is all of NZ distilled down to its base elements.

Bolshy

Postby Bolshy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Houses are still very affordable in South Otago, in comparison to other areas anyway, and that includes renting. People constantly ask "what the fuck are you doing in Milton??", and its still a surprise to me that i'm here but it helps that i only pay $160 a week for a tidy 3 bedroom cottage with a quarter acre section, especially when most of the people asking me that question are paying that much for a shitty room in a shitty flat. It means that i don't need to have flatmates which is great. And this applies to most of the little towns within an hour south of Dunedin. Traffic congestion is very minimal which makes commuting pretty viable as well. And the weather is nothing like the bad rap it gets. People are friendly as fuck and theres a huge variety of personalities. Very safe and adventurous for children. Heaps of really cool beaches and rivers and scenic spots nearby. And its fuck all of a mission to get home after a gig in Dunedin. Certainly not everyones cup of tea but i love it and i'm settled in for the next ten years, there's a hell of lot worse places to be. So there you go Mr Positive, my two cents on the area i live in. All the best with your new move, wherever it ends up being.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:40 pm

Bolshy wrote:i only pay $160 a week for a tidy 3 bedroom cottage with a quarter acre section,

Sounds awesome Bolshy. Livin' the fuckin dream'

I think once I'm burnt out of city life I'll move some where rural at the top of the South Island, within driving distance of the Mussel inn

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:05 pm

The affordability factor of Otago is definitely a massive part of the appeal.

Things like a 3-4 bedroom, totally renovated house on 1/4 acre, 20 minutes from Dunedin with bush and sea views for the cost of a shitty 1 bedroom unit in the shittest ghetto in Melbourne... madness.

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:46 pm

hiv-positive wrote:Thought about the Wairarapa, just not sure what I'd do there or if the commute would be viable. Looks ideal though in plenty of ways, though I'm still romanticising down south a bit.

Ppl tend to do that, then get down there and go cray from the lonelies. Got a gf in Dunedin going thru this at the moment. And srsly, the Wairarapa is so under rated, u *do* have to make ur own fun (like I just got keys to a fucking CINEMA), but holy shit, tight knit community has been so fucking good for raising a kid up in. We take care of our own.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:40 pm

Definitely something to consider as I might end up doing a bit of international commuting for work and being an hour ish from the airport would appeal. I wonder what the train to Wellington commute is like - Oz is quite good with the regional rail for commuters, hopefully it's similar back home.

Houses are more expensive though, but still viable.

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:21 pm

hiv-positive wrote:Definitely something to consider as I might end up doing a bit of international commuting for work and being an hour ish from the airport would appeal. I wonder what the train to Wellington commute is like - Oz is quite good with the regional rail for commuters, hopefully it's similar back home.

Houses are more expensive though, but still viable.

Runs 5 times a day each way during the week, pretty decent really. An hour 35 minutes though. And then another 35 minute bus to the airport. It would be quicker to drive to Palmerston North Airport if you were flying internationally out of Auckland or Christchurch.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:39 pm

ive been yarning with this dude, might move down there to work for him next year if study doesnt work out(no EFTS left)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/85543863/otago-man-offers-bloody-job-to-nonwhingers-in-employment-ad
"Look how happy he is"

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:34 am

^Mean as, few could handle it, good on ya m8

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Bolshy

Postby Bolshy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:19 pm

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:
hiv-positive wrote:Thought about the Wairarapa, just not sure what I'd do there or if the commute would be viable. Looks ideal though in plenty of ways, though I'm still romanticising down south a bit.

Ppl tend to do that, then get down there and go cray from the lonelies. Got a gf in Dunedin going thru this at the moment..

Surely thats more to do with personality rather than geography? Some people move out of their comfort zone for a change of lifestyle and the exciting new opportunities such a shift presents and then realise they don't know what the fuck to do with themselves.

9seconds wrote:ive been yarning with this dude, might move down there to work for him next year if study doesnt work out(no EFTS left)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/85543863/otago-man-offers-bloody-job-to-nonwhingers-in-employment-ad

hahaha, quite a hardcase article. You'd probably love that sorta work Phil. I did it up in the high country for about two years and enjoyed the fit and healthy lifestyle and all the amazing views and scenery, but it definitely wasn't all that well paid.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:09 am

ive done that kind of work, a lot, worked on the central plateau, te urewera among others, only thing i havnt done that he does is wilding pine, but i have my quad and chainsaw tickets now so...

eh was one of the best jobs ive ever had, pay was all good
"Look how happy he is"

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:48 pm

I've just moved back to Dunedin after a couple of years working in dream spots - Glenorchy, Te Anau, Golden Bay, Central Otago. I love Central Otago but most work is seasonal and shit pay and rent is crazy, buying is worse. I'm really liking being in Dunedin, and am meeting lots of folk as well as reconnecting with good mates. The plan is to find somewhere a bit out of town. Love Seacliff but north of Dunedin is getting gentrified.
Bolshy, do you commute to Dunedin from Milton?
Uncinia vector

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:23 pm

The iffy work factor is definitely the one huge thing putting me off moving back. Dunedin appeals for that small but cosmopolitan and arts orientated city vibe, but I wonder how hard I'll find adjusting to the employment opportunities. The mrs is an academic, so having the uni there appeals on that front, but she can also do the majority of her work from home.

I suppose a huge part of the decision is accepting the lifestyle changes that would come with it all. Maybe I'll find the lack of rat race vibes amazing once I get over the initial shock.

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 am

Bolshy wrote:

Ppl tend to do that, then get down there and go cray from the lonelies. Got a gf in Dunedin going thru this at the moment..

Surely thats more to do with personality rather than geography? Some people move out of their comfort zone for a change of lifestyle and the exciting new opportunities such a shift presents and then realise they don't know what the fuck to do with themselves.

Probs don't help when u move to the arse end of a big empty fuckin island tho.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:59 am

Not sure if I'd quite consider Dunedin to be the arse end, but then again I do live in and have travelled quite a bit around an actually big and empty as fuck island.

:wink:

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:29 pm

I moved to Dunners because there was work here, but I guess it does depend what sort of work you do. I think Mataura may be the arse end.
Uncinia vector

Bolshy

Postby Bolshy » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:24 pm

dustbinflowers wrote:Bolshy, do you commute to Dunedin from Milton?

Nah, i work down in Balclutha, a measly 20km away, but still travel into Dunedin at least 2 or 3 times a week.

Bolshy wrote:

Probs don't help when u move to the arse end of a big empty fuckin island tho.

Yeah but at least then you've got heaps of room to run around in circles not knowing what the fuck to do.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:25 pm

dunedin is the knees of the south island, christchurch is its arse.

i kinda wanna move back to milton, maybe i shoulda gone to the reunion on labour weekend, my olds did
"Look how happy he is"

Return to “Miscellaneous”