Where would you move to in NZ?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
hiv-positive

Where would you move to in NZ?

Postby hiv-positive » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:38 pm

Been toying with the idea of moving back to NZ in the next few years now that I've got a little hiv to look after and the soulless big city rat race doesn't seem like the best environment for a kid.

Probably more inclined to go rural / small town but close enough to commute to a major city for work and sanity reasons. Up to an hour away would be fine, which might be insane by NZ standards, but not really an issue after years of metropolis vibes.

Any ideas? Secret gem towns? Total avoids?

I like the idea of somewhere down South like out of Dunedin or Christchurch, either on the coast on nestled in the mountains somewhere, though I've never lived there and wonder about the vibe of the populace. Definitely not Auckland or Hamilton, and I'm probably rinsed out on Wellington.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Re: Where would you move to in NZ?

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Houses are pretty cheap round Kapiti. I'd probably venture as far as Otaki if I were that way inclined

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Yeah if you decided you weren't over Wellington I'd suggest the Kapiti Coast, I grew up in Waikanae, it's a pretty good place to grow up and grow old (it's essentially a giant retirement village for Wellington)
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

the croc

Postby the croc » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:54 pm

I'm in Paekākāriki. I train into town each day for work, takes 45 minutes. Come home during summer and go for a swim at the beach most nights. People are chilled and lots of good community shit going on. Kids roam pretty free. Skatepark is not bad and I run a punk show on the local radio station.

I would seriously consider Otaki/Manukau/Te Horo too, it's just that much further if you're commuting to Wellington but then gives you the Palmy option too.

Paraparaumu can be rough, something about it attracts sketchy people.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:43 am

I find Paraparaumu fairly depressing, and yeah it's a bit rough - but not that bad (otaki would still be considered worse?). The electric train finishes at Waikanae, so I imagine a commute by public transport is potentially a little less convenient further North (Te Horo, Otaki etc). Waikanae beach has improved heeeeaps since I lived there, a bunch of good cafes/restaurants and good beer too.

I can imagine Paekak' is a pretty good place, good being closer to Wellington, and probably a bit more "arty" than the rest of the coast?

You could always live in Palmy, but that's a bit mean on the kids :wink:

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:34 am

Eat shit pert

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:30 am

yeah kapiti, it's what i'm about to do anyway. new job in wgtn and a 4brdm house on half an acre just out of otaki, commuting on a motorbike. pretty ideal for me.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:35 am

I'm not really sure Christchurch is "big city" enough to be the place to visit for "sanity", coming back from Overseas. If you want to live in a small town, Christchurch is probably small enough as it is.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:40 am

depends on what you do for "sanity". if it's walking around shopping malls and looking at construction sites you'll be right. if it's going to see good bands including internationals then maybe not.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:31 am

So many good places on the coast and inland around the lower south island eh. If I could live anywhere, I'd give serious thought to Te Anau. Riverton is sweet too - 20 minutes from Invercargill, where there is actually a fair bit of decent work going on (depending on what you do ofcourse). A good friend of mine grew up in Geraldine and I've always enjoyed hanging out up that way. Twizel/the whole McKenzie basin is decent too, but it really depends what you're into. Got a few mates over on the coast, but fuck it rains a lot. If Middlemarch was a slightly shorter drive to Dunedin I'd give it some serious thought. Living the semi-rural Taieri dream in Mosgiel currently and it's pretty choice. I also really like the coast just south of Dunedin, Brighton down to Taieri Mouth - if a small yet big enough bit of land turns up for the right price through there we'd go for it. Seem to be less hippies and twats down that way than north of Dunedin (Waitati etc.), and some really nice beaches.

What sort of work do you do? If you could end up finding work in, say, Queenstown, then Glenorchy and Kingston have a fair bit going for them and are not a ridiculous commute away. Cromwell is probably a bit shit, Alexandra seems to be a bit less shit than it used to be, some interesting stuff going on there.

I'd say that ultimately, south of Christchurch, the type of work you'd be looking for will be as important as anything in determining where you end up. That said, the living is easy, land/houses are cheap (if you've got a decently stable job/income, there's not really any reason to rent long-term...), and the days are stupid long in the summer.

The list of places to avoid as a whole isn't too long, but I wouldn't recommend Mataura or Tuatapere, there are pockets of shit everywhere else too, but nothing that can't be dealt with.
I think it's lint.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:11 pm

If I could leave the gigs/convenience/non-existent winters behind I'd be keen to live in buttfuck nowhere. For the first couple of days anyway. Love the beauty of the West Coast and not bothered by rain.

Te Anau is a bit chocka with tourists from what I remember, but the view from your doorstep would make up for it.

Uncle reckons Christchurch traffic has gone to shit, but not a problem if you aren't doing battle with the inner suburbs.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:17 pm

Compared to a lot of other spots around the South Island, the tourist traffic through Te Anau isn't too bad, and the nature of the town means it's easy to exist in relative isolation from them.
I think it's lint.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks heaps to everyone who has replied!

Kapiti, Otaki, Paekākāriki. etc are probably not really ideal. I considered somewhere like Greytown over the hills there, still might be worth a look as the train line would be handy.

I'm pretty sure I've done my mandatory quota of laps round The Square to be considering Palmy, but I did think about some of the surrounding small towns when I was browsing real estate. There's some amazing place all over the country for not much money, but I really wonder about the build quality and insulation and so on in. There are some dreary looking shitholes out there that's for sure. I get the impression you'd end up pouring soem decent cash in to fix all that and I can definitely recall some freezing as fuck houses all over the lower North Island. Definitely getting solar panels installed wherever I end up!

By sanity, I really just meant somewhere to go if you wanted to do all the usual nonsense a city offers. I've spent a decade in a proper big city and been to quite a few of the big ones on this planet, and ultimately they mostly offer the same shit in a different setting.

The West Coast looks lovely, but I get the impression there just isn't a lot going on there and it's kind of one of those places to disappear into, which isn't really quite what I'm after just yet.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:40 pm

J wrote:when are you moving akaxo?

mid-october, just before labour weekend. i'm pretty keen for it to roll around quick smart.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:55 pm

PertHJ wrote:I find Paraparaumu fairly depressing, and yeah it's a bit rough - but not that bad (otaki would still be considered worse?). The electric train finishes at Waikanae, so I imagine a commute by public transport is potentially a little less convenient further North (Te Horo, Otaki etc). Waikanae beach has improved heeeeaps since I lived there, a bunch of good cafes/restaurants and good beer too.

I can imagine Paekak' is a pretty good place, good being closer to Wellington, and probably a bit more "arty" than the rest of the coast?

You could always live in Palmy, but that's a bit mean on the kids :wink:

I've spent fuck all time there other than going to Mitre 10 and Pak n Save but I've got a mate who plays shows up there occassionaly and inevitably always ends up in macho bullshit and fights.

Akaxo - come do a radio show with me sometime.

hiv-positive wrote:Thanks heaps to everyone who has replied!

Kapiti, Otaki, Paekākāriki. etc are probably not really ideal. I considered somewhere like Greytown over the hills there, still might be worth a look as the train line would be handy.

I really like that area too. Handy to the Rimutaka's and out to the coast. I'd make sure I lived on a hill though. The flat parts are essentially flood plains and they have had issues with sewage backflowing occasionally during heavy rain, especially around Featherston.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:53 pm

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:Eat shit pert

You know I love palmy <3

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:58 am

the croc wrote:

keen as. i'm getting nervous about freighting all the LPs up haha, hopefully there's a turntable in the studio as i have loads of stuff only on vinyl or is that too old fashioned?

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:45 pm

akaxo wrote:
the croc wrote:

keen as. i'm getting nervous about freighting all the LPs up haha, hopefully there's a turntable in the studio as i have loads of stuff only on vinyl or is that too old fashioned?

Sweet. There are two turntables but I don't know how to use them so I've never bothered. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:34 pm

the croc wrote:I'd make sure I lived on a hill though. The flat parts are essentially flood plains and they have had issues with sewage backflowing occasionally during heavy rain, especially around Featherston.

Good point, really hadn't considered that at all.

Still more inclined to head down south, apart from the scenery and laid back nature, the housing market would work out very well for me and renovating a classic villa has always been on my list.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:09 am

i lived in the hills above waikanae for a bit, was ok, bit of a mish into welly tho, used to bike over to pram to have a beer, was a nice place, but the lure of live music and fellow deros soon drew me into the city, where it got me wasted, knocked me out and emptied my pockets.

im quite keen on going south and rural, but not fussy what region, would be good to be within an hour of a decent town too, but again, not fussy, my requirements are more like; no near neighbours, little or no infrastructure(water and lekky to the gate would be nice, but not essential), bush covered and surrounded.

not the sort of thing most people would wanna do with kids, but then, and im not criticising you here, i wouldnt want my kid anywhere near all the toxic shit renovating a house involves.

il be visiting both Chief Kapiti's Island, and Fiordland next year, so il be having a good look.
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:44 am

Have you lived anywhere else in New Zealand?

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:36 am

[quote="9seconds"im quite keen on going south and rural, but not fussy what region, would be good to be within an hour of a decent town too, but again, not fussy, my requirements are more like; no near neighbours, little or no infrastructure(water and lekky to the gate would be nice, but not essential), bush covered and surrounded.[/quote]

Ideally, I'd have some sort of modern eco-ish house in these sorts of surrounds about as far out as you say. Finding that land and being able to build on it will be the real mission.

not the sort of thing most people would wanna do with kids, but then, and im not criticising you here, i wouldnt want my kid anywhere near all the toxic shit renovating a house involves.

True. it'd be straight to a hotel for a week or so while anything truly toxic was going on, though apart from painting or sanding and varnishing floors, I'm not really sure what else I'd need to be worried about. I suppose it all depends on how much actually needs doing and I can't say I'm entirely keen on buying something too run down and fucked on because they're probably not worth the amount you'd need to invest in them.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:01 pm

building is toxic in general, i dunno where to start, renovating isnt much better, but yeh, its manageable, i was more referring to the comparison with what i want to do(which i annoyingly didnt specify)

i just wanna build a house, like that primitive technology guy, but more elaborate, and not fucking about with stone tools, god invented a chainsaw for a reason.

a cross between this
and this
"Look how happy he is"

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:33 pm

That rammed earth tyres eco house and / or mud bricks style might be your thing then.

Ideally, I'd like to build a quick, simple tilt slab or hebel house. Really like that simple, industrial, minimalist, low fuss vibe - though apparently it can be a mission to actually get people to build those sorts of houses for you as volume building has stripped the creativity out of the industry. Seriously thinking about doing a building course of some sort then having a go myself. Apparently, hebel is quick and pretty basic to do.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:56 pm

i wouldnt use the tyres, but rammed earth potentially, but more likely cob or cordwood, or some other more obscure/experimental methods ive been toying with.

ive done tiltslabs before, its actually a really easy way to build, we did a big two story clubhouse with them, was pretty cool, went up real fast.
"Look how happy he is"

the croc

Postby the croc » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:16 pm

You fullas should probably take a look at this: http://www.earthbuilding.org.nz/

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:03 pm

ive worked on a cob house, just to help out/learn, but i actually stopped going back cos i got fuckin sick of this lady rambling about chemtrails and shit, ive been very interested in earthbuilding for years, took a course in vernacular architecture last year, and have made a few experimental structures, nothing full scale or permanent tho.

im currently planning to use a version of slipstraw to build a 9m² building with a double pitched reciprocal roof as a starting point, just building in a modular fashion, so that i can make small, legal structures and have an outdoor roofed cooking area in a courtyard surrounded by them, alternatively, il make bigger, illegal structures if i can find a place to do it they cant be seen from anywhere.
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:06 pm

im not into earthships as you have to pay a lot of money to the guy who owns the copyright, i posted a very cool video about how they started tho, in the 'what have you recently watched' thread probably late last year.

what i do like about them is the water and toilet system, totally want to use that idea, i hate composting toilets.
"Look how happy he is"

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Nelson
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:06 pm

9seconds wrote:ive worked on a cob house, just to help out/learn, but i actually stopped going back cos i got fuckin sick of this lady rambling about chemtrails and shit, ive been very interested in earthbuilding for years, took a course in vernacular architecture last year, and have made a few experimental structures, nothing full scale or permanent tho.

im currently planning to use a version of slipstraw to build a 9m² building with a double pitched reciprocal roof as a starting point, just building in a modular fashion, so that i can make small, legal structures and have an outdoor roofed cooking area in a courtyard surrounded by them, alternatively, il make bigger, illegal structures if i can find a place to do it they cant be seen from anywhere.

Seen hexayurts? http://www.appropedia.org/Hexayurt_schematics

Return to “Miscellaneous”