Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:19 pm

It's our last day in Luang Probang, we had a small list of things to do. Getting a ticket out being at the top of the list, three days and four nights surpasses the necessary time limit in this town I believe. Considerably so. After ticking the two other things off our list, it was just after midday, making a stop at the pub socially acceptable in most parts of the world. We found a humble drinking hole over looking the Mekong, not a difficult feat, but one with beers going for the same price as the local shop was an achievement. Not uncommon, but less so in this godforsaken town.
We missed the lavish smorgasbord styled night market last night after encountering three backpackers we'd met earlier and deemed socially worthy, plus a middle aged Canadian blue collared bloke with a heart of gold, whom after putting his kids through college went travelling for his first time. He'd met the young backpackers prior also so we all went for a drink.
A highly educated english couple in their early 20's and a Dutch kid with a good attitude. We drank til closing swapping stories, anecdotes, traveladvice and plethora of dad jokes. They had all come by boat from thailand and this was their first imprression of Laos, hence they adored it.
My gf often points out my overt cynicism, with much justification i must admit, but about Luang Probang I think she is somewhat in agreeance.
It's a tidy french colonial town on the Mekong, full of well made and fairly modern houses not displeasing to the eye. It attracts young families and tourists seeking comfort. Everything costs 20% more, a motorscooter is twice the price to rent as it was in Vang Vieng.
We went to the infamous waterfalls via scooter and yeap they were fuckin neat. A sight to be seen, we clambered to the top, took a dip, sunk a.couple brews and headed homewards.
The museum is one other tourist attraction, 'Woah, holy shit, so several generations of dictators born into power resided here eons ago?' A royal palace is a royal palace, some nice mosaics, impressive furniture, an oura of unearned wealth and stench of fascism surrounded the place. Across the road is large hill with a pagoda donning the tip. Yes of course it costs, presumably to maintain the delapidated stairway. The view was spectacular. A panoramic view depicting the entirety of the humble town. Unfortunately in the back of my mind i couldnt stop thinking 'Hamilton', the ever surrounding suburban hub complimented by a brown river... swap the royal palace with methamphetamine and who would even know the difference.....
Maybe it's my immense distaste for the french or my severe despisal for imperialism but this town holds little for me.
We wanted to catch a boat up the mekong to visit the Buddha Cave but at 350,000 kip ($60nzd) for a two hour round trip its a bit absurd, but a fair representation for what shit cost in this town. Weve been spoiled for temples, pagodas, buddha shrines and caves allready on this journey, mostly done on our own accord on hired bikes and scooters, so i dont think we were missing out too much. Hence were spending our last avo smashing piss on the Mekong.
Don't get me wrong, im not saying there's nothing to do in this town, but unless you have a bit of cash to throw around its kind of null.
Foods good (expensive), people are mostly nice and the town shuts down completely around 10.30pm, including your guest house's front door.
The backpackers we drank with lastnight were pretty chuffed on the place, but this was their first stop and hadnt seen what Laos had to offer yet. If you go to Laos, either start here, or swing by for two days max, or even not at all.
Every second shop is a travel agency advertising Elephant riding, this is possibly one of the shittiest and amoral things you could do in s.e asia, shy of actually purchasing ivory.
The infamous plain of jars isnt far from here, a unique sight that due to time restraints regrettably we wont get to see. We have to head back to VangVieng to meet up with Lance the infamous d-beat legend of the south and his fancy girl Ms Boozey Mellville.
So its back over the mountains, back to the easy bungalow porch dwelling life for us. Not to mention the several other unexplored caves and waterfalls.
(Hot tip for Vangvieng, the Blue Lagoon is highly advertised, every tuk tuk driver and his mother will attempt to take you there. We stopped by on a cave exploration adventure. Payed entry, took a piss and left. Its a disgusting commercialised pile of shit. The scenery is nice but its a meat market, hundreds of westerners treating it like a day time night club. There's plenty of less tampered caves and lagoons about if you just look a bit harder. Far more scerene, private and less like an 'S Club 7' video).
Where was I, ah yes Luang probang Sure its a lovely city, placed gracefully on the fringe of the Mekong. But in reality theres hundreds of towns on the Mekong, probably thousands if you include all the small fishing settlements. And the vast majority with far less of a pompous French influence. And probably where you can buy fake raybans for less than $6nzd, and that was after bartering heavily, not at one stall, but several. Im not saying the sole purpose of travelling s.e asia is due to the affordability, but material goods, food, most everything is cheaper compared to nz, and if i can get a pair of fake raybans cheaper at the Rotorua craft market than i can in a northern Laotian town, somethings seriously wrong. Im not saying dont come to Luang probang, im just saying there are far more beautiful and affordable destinations with much more to offer.

Oh and one last thing, just when I was beginning to grow weary of this town. Me and Mon went out to a pub, our guesthouse was less than inviting and we felt like a change from beer. So we went to a bar and ordered Local whisky and coke. We played cards, talked shit and ordered a couple more. The local stuff can knock you about a bit so after the third i looked up at the bottle on the mantle behind the bar. I'd seen it upon entering the bar and the liquid vs label ratio hadnt moved much. We ordered one more and the bottle levels were minutely hindered. Was it half shots for the honkees night or what?! But basically we spent 200,000 kip to drink four whisky cokes each and I left sober enough to have brunch with my Nan.
I shouldn't hold something so minute aginst an entire town, but once you have it in for something/someone suddenly every little thing that happens makes you so much more irrate (admittedly more so than it should).
So keep your piss weak whiskies, your western priced knock off raybans and your absurdly priced boat rides, ive bought my questionably priced minivan ticket back to Vang Vieng and im out come 8am.
Admittedly as im jotting this spiteful rant, im sitting in a quaint beergarden ( by quaint, i mean plastic cheers on some bodgy half brick half mud floor) looking out over the Mekong through all kinds of exotic trees. The other side of the river is lush full of vibrant greenery. Just two months ago i was dreaming of this, and here i am and it is fucking lovely. Laos is amazing and its not that i feel underwhelmed with Loang Probang, maybe just 'whelmed'....with a mild distaste.
(That rant concluded far more optimistically than first intended,.... maybe its the beer).

nazi scum
Posts: 1931
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:49 pm

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby nazi scum » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:13 pm

dave-brown wrote:...The view was spectacular. A panoramic view depicting the entirety of the humble town. Unfortunately in the back of my mind i couldnt stop thinking 'Hamilton', the ever surrounding suburban hub complimented by a brown river... swap the royal palace with methamphetamine and who would even know the difference.....


Except there's probably more Asians in humble Hamilton...
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

User avatar
Lamb
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:21 pm

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Lamb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:05 pm

PertHJ wrote:Sorry for your loss mate.

I guess your bag couldn't handle the jandle....

Julia and I are currently on the train between Krakow and Prague, there's free wifi and power! Amazing stuff.
Krakow was a bit of a short visit but a managed to eat heaps of pierogi, Zapiekanka, and Obwarzanki. Had a few good beers, and a real good ice cream (snickers and salted caramel). Checked out Auschwitz yesterday, pretty intense. Tourists can be awful.


I'm going to Europe in a few weeks.. have no real plan but wanna hit up some places in Poland, Germany, Amsterdam...
Easy enough to catch the trains and stuff?? Im getting semiretarded in my old age...
and any strong recommendations on places to visit??

Otherwise good read thread :popcorn:

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:16 pm

Lamb wrote:
PertHJ wrote:Sorry for your loss mate.

I guess your bag couldn't handle the jandle....

Julia and I are currently on the train between Krakow and Prague, there's free wifi and power! Amazing stuff.
Krakow was a bit of a short visit but a managed to eat heaps of pierogi, Zapiekanka, and Obwarzanki. Had a few good beers, and a real good ice cream (snickers and salted caramel). Checked out Auschwitz yesterday, pretty intense. Tourists can be awful.


I'm going to Europe in a few weeks.. have no real plan but wanna hit up some places in Poland, Germany, Amsterdam...
Easy enough to catch the trains and stuff?? Im getting semiretarded in my old age...
and any strong recommendations on places to visit??

Otherwise good read thread :popcorn:


Germany is easily my favourite country. Everyone goes to berlin. Ive never liked the place personally. too many hipsters and the punks are often dissinterested or rude due to the amount of travelers coming through. The infamous Kope squat for example, if i didnt know the bartender i dont think anyone would of even talked to me. That aside theres never a shortage of touristic activities. Especially if you're a war buff.
Hamburg is a fantastic river side city that has everything you want. Small enough to walk around the central suburbs and a really colourful place. interesting Wagenplatz's (sort of a punk version of trailer park boys) a left wing foot ball club, a strong hatred for gentrification and a plethora of sailor themed and punk bars. Oh also the biggest redlight district in europe...I got banned from kfc one night on the reeperbahn. I dunno if i should be proud of that or more ashamed i was in there in the first place. They fact they had a bouncer is pretty funny though.
There is a small museum in an old church, which focuses on the British bombing of Hamburg. It was very informative and its nice to be reminded, that it wasnt just the Nazis that played dirty. Bergen Belsen, the concentration camp is an hours drive from the city. Anne Franks grave stone is there.
The train system (between cities is fairly expensive). I often used ride share websites, sort of like pre organised hitching where u chip in for gas. https://m.blablacar.de
I never spent much time in many other German cities, merely driving through. The further south the more serious the people become. I found bavaria quite neat though, (keep in mind the bavarians and their northern counterparts like to think they are seperate countries, thats the closest thing to a joke u will encounter with many south Germans.
Munich is predominantly a conservative shit hole. (Avoid this place during Octoberfest) But there's many lovely parts to it. The historic beerhalls (Hitler used to speak at the Hoffbrau house, go have a stein there, theres a breif history of it on their placemats but they didnt mention a certain Austrian "artist" at all). Also the beergardens are incredible, they can seat up to 2000 people, families drinking beer and kinder eating große pretzels. Theyre so fucking huge they have small utes driving around collecting the 1L steins. Its an expensive place, some dorms were €30 a night. Fuck that, we caught the train to the end of the line by the zoo. Theres a campsite there on a rivers edge with clear fresh water coming down from the alps, good swimming..&they had a beer vending machine!!good god it was a good week. There were log rafts floating past everyone on board was heavily drunk and they even had Oompa bands on there. They were neat but u need to book months in advance.
Amsterdam has a reputation, one which is slowly fading as other cities around the world have become more liberal with drugs. I dont smoke weed so it didnt bother me either way.
Amazing cheeses and just generally a beautiful city. Hire a bicycle and just ride around. Theres a punk bar there called The cave, and sometimes some good shows at the Milkweg. (I saw cocksparrer there with Menace and Infa riot, fuck that was a cool night)
Basically i just took cocaine and rode a bike a round looking at the gorgeous architecture. Easy to get lost all the streets look the same.
I also got there from hamburg using a ride share web site. €15-20 i cant remember.
Poland wasn't what i expected at all. Krakow for instsnce is absolutely fucking beautiful. I only went there as it was the closest major town to Auschwitz, the main reason i was in Poland. Pretty eerie shit but definately worth visiting. Claw marks on the walls of the gas chambers and desperate poetry etched into cell walls.
The middle square of Krakow is something else eh. Great cathedrals and architecture dating back pretty far. Its a centre point for Polish nationalism, a huge shrine in the central castle to some Militant whom helped Poland gain independence. I forget his name, some nationalistic Prussian prick. Apparantly Hitler took a shining to the place and ordered it to be preserved furing the aerial bombings.
Thanks adolf.
Warsaw he seemed far less concerned with. The place was flattened. For some reason theres a newly constructed large tower smack in the middle, you pay to go to the top and look around all the rebuilt buildings from the late 40s, 50,s and onwards. Its not much of a sight really.
Oh but theres a sweet museum, theres a free section outside with the largest collection of planes, tanks and helicopters ive ever seen.....and theres a pub next door. You can drink beer and look at tanks. Cooooool!!!!!

Dont be afraid to head east either. Ljubljana in Slovenia is an amazing town, Slovakia is interesting, serbia and croatia are quite Intense and Prague in Czech is absolutely fucking gorgeous. Also their drinking culture suits me well. They have good smoked cheese not unlike the Slovakians, but then again that was once one nation. The beer in Czech isnt as strong as the Polish, but easily some of the best pilsner in the world. There is a rising problem with Nazism there unfortunately, well in most of europe actually. Some unfortunate reactions to the growing refugee chrisis. This time last year me and scotty from gripper went into a local pub in Kutna Hora, (near Prague). At first we thought they just disliked outsiders, as a scornful look accomponied the two pints, (being a punk for quite a while im quite accustomed and non plussed by such looks) Turns out they were staunch nationalists and there was white pride and patriotic propoganda decorating the walls. Somehow we'd overlooked that upon entering. We necked our beers and vamused pretty quick smart. So if you dress slightly punky or leftwing looking be weary. Serbia and croatia especially, actually ive been advised by many euro punks to not travel those two countries alone.
Vegetarian food in czech is horrible and rare but Germany has really stepped it up and vege options are readily available, pretty good considering their national diish is sausage.

Ryan air also does dirt cheap flights around europe. I got from Hamburg to London for €40. The train from the airport into Brixton was half the price of my flight lol.
Hope that is helpful.
Ohh and fuck england, their food and their cocaine sucks, the mainland is far more appealing.

User avatar
Lamb
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:21 pm

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Lamb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Awesome thats heaps helpful - and interesting AF. Pretty much sounds like all places I want to go. Into the war stuff - hence Poland being like #1 on my list anyway...

Hmm maybe I'll have to look into further east - because initially I'll be in Russia - and was going to fly Russia to Poland (probably straight to Krakow) - maybe need to investigate further east in Europe. Everyone keep scaremongering me though as it is as I'm going by myself...

Cheers for the ride share thing!!

User avatar
PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'
Posts: 19688
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 8:53 pm
Location: Milano

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby PertHJ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:14 am

Got back the other day from Krakow and Prague, both are awesome cities (I had already been to Prague and was happy to be returning). Both are fairly small so easy to get around, but I found Prague involved walking around a lot more where as Krakow seems to fit a lot more into a small space.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby FC » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:34 am

Hes right about czech republic, especially in south moravia. A lot of friends have had the shit kicked out of them once or twice (or been beaten with chains, knocked out, pipes etc). You'd probably be fine.

I love czech to bits, it's got great beer, food, everyone is pretty chilled out (apart from the above example) and well...beer. Budapest is also a great city and Vienna too. Didn't think much of bratislava, and most of my czech and slovak friends didn't either. Slovakia is more about nature than anything else. Czech has a lot more austohungarian architecture, and nice little villages, old town squares.

Serbia I found quite unfriendly, but friends have said the exact opposite. I found croatia really nice, but have friends there so probably got to see a bit more than average. Summer drinking with all the punks in the parks was great fun, and "The Museum of Broken Relationships" in Zagreb is probably the most interesting quirky museum ive ever been to. Plitvice national park is absolutely beautiful, Dubrovnik is a sight to behold, and all the lovely coastal bits are definitely worth the drive im told. We just did cities and they were nice enough though. I think Serbia and Croatia are both quite nationalistic and it is a bit of a shock.

Bosnia was the surprise because they don't seem to be all that bothered about the war. Maybe its a result of being fucked over by everyone. I found them really friendly and there didn't seem to be any judgement from either side. Again I have friends there, and got a great tour of Sarajevo. I really enjoyed Mostar too.

My biggest tip would be to eat in the most dingy local places you can find. Never eat anywhere that says "traditional food" and look for locals, ask for recommendations, be brave and just point at the menu. Nothing to lose, especially when the meals are so cheap.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

User avatar
Dead Kid
Posts: 5855
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:59 am

Call me crazy but I love British food. The little packets of sauce to choose from at the pubs. Toad in the hole, spotted dick, mushy peas. Real life is almost as silly as Monty Python.

The only place I've been in Germany is Europa-Park. Basically a rip-off of Disney World to the point that it's funny. Worth a look if you're into queueing for roller coasters, but only if you're heading that far south to see Strasbourg or the Swiss mountains as well.
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:54 am

Dead Kid wrote:Call me crazy but I love British food. The little packets of sauce to choose from at the pubs. Toad in the hole, spotted dick, mushy peas. Real life is almost as silly as Monty Python.

The only place I've been in Germany is Europa-Park. Basically a rip-off of Disney World to the point that it's funny. Worth a look if you're into queueing for roller coasters, but only if you're heading that far south to see Strasbourg or the Swiss mountains as well.


English food is pretty bollix. Curry sauce on chips. Gravy on chips. Vinegar on chips and pickled onions are all mean Also bakedbeans with vegie suasages in a can are mean. i lived off them diluted with tinned tomatoes in destitute times in brixton.

Oneof the most beautiful experiences ive ever had was driving over the alps into Austria. Holy shit that wwas amazing. Also ska.teboarding into Leichtinstein from austria was also one of the coolest thongs ive ever done. I even high fived the border cop. Just bombed the hill and hooned on in

User avatar
9seconds
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:30 pm

haha rad

i also shamefuly enjoy english food, pea pie spud is a favourite, tho when i do it myself i just heat the peas, not turn them to green sludge.

i made my own pickled onions once, used the wild ones, heaps of work, but ive never had better
Image
"Look how happy he is"

User avatar
Lamb
Posts: 4218
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:21 pm

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Lamb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm one frappacino and chiuaua away from being as annoying white girl as it comes...
Sounds like this may be both a slight bonus to not get the shit kicked out of me.. But also look like an easy target for scams.. Robbery or what not

Lentil
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Lentil » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:33 pm


Lentil
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Lentil » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:34 pm


The punks fundraising for books for kids - a good thing to support :-)

Lentil
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: Wellington

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Lentil » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:55 pm

Cool to read your travel stories Dave :-)

User avatar
Dead Kid
Posts: 5855
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:52 pm
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:57 pm

dave-brown wrote:Also ska.teboarding into Leichtinstein from austria was also one of the coolest thongs ive ever done. I even high fived the border cop. Just bombed the hill and hooned on in

Somewhere out there in an alternate reality, a kid named Bart Simpson is watching a cartoon called The Browns and dreaming of being Dave Brown.
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:14 pm

So it's the end of our trip, and we should be in transit as we speak.But when we went to check in, my gf hadnt realised that shed booked our tickets for the 19th, not the 18th. We were a casual 24 hours early. A fuck up , but rather a day early than a day late. So were in a hotel near the airport as id rather spend a night in the wops than another night in Khao San rd. For those of you who havent had the Khao san rd experience, think all the worst aspects of gypsy fairs, drum circles, drunken rugby jocks, clubs and raves all combined. Cheap buckets of vodka based drinks acting as the adhesive.
we spent one night there on our way to Myanmar, it was one of the worst nights of my life. Worse than a holiday in hamilton. I only went there knowing it had cheap accomodation, the rest of the experience need not be repeated. After we checked in, the receptionist said "oh if you want some sleep, get it now (it was 3pm), it gets quite loud later", she wernt kidding. Fucking rave bunnies kept us up til 4am
Anyway we left vang vieng two days ago after a messy couple days with some kiwi mates. Id never smoked opium before, and ontop of all else going on things.got pretty blurry and imstill a bit hazy.
For future reference, vang vieng to bangkok is easily done in one day (24hrs) and not too pricy. 50,000 kip $8(nzd)to vangtiene. four hours by bus trip. 20,000 kip tuk tuk to the north bus station. The local bus that takes you to the Buddha Gardens (bus 14) will drop you at Laos immigration (6,000 kip, 70c). 11,000 kip for a passport stamp (processing fee, im not sure). Basically tell all the tuk tuk drivers to fuck off, as per usual, you can buy a bus ticket over the Friendship bridge into Thailand for 4,000kip. Takes ten minutes. Stamp ur passport and your in thailand (nong khai), the northern town we crossed into Laos just a month earlier. Now this was out first mistake of the day. We knew the night train to bangkok would leave in a few hours and wanted to get a ticket early. We got a tuk tuk iinto Nong khai trainstation for 150 Baht. .....it was 2km if that. ah well. We jumped on our train three hours later konked out pretty quick as our body was still feeling the effects of the substances from tge night before .
The night trains are pretty laavish i reckon. $30nzd aint bad for a bed that takes you from one end of a country to the other.
Anyhow 8am and back in bangkok....for what we thoughtwas one night. Not knowing the town or any cheaper areas we reluctantly grabbed a tuk tuk back to khao sanrd.
"300 baht" he reckoned
Now this aint old brownies first trip to bangkok and i knew a thing or two about a thing or two.
" its only 3km away, 100 baht" he
slightly annoyed wishing hed chosen an easier target he said "200"
I payed "150", still more than I thought was fair but what ever its only a few dollars.
Determined to sleep better and the fact it was our last night we splashed out on a schmick mick joint around the bend safer from.noise pollution. And yes, a fucking pool on the roof. It was about $40nzd and easily the most lavish place id stayed.
So excited about the whole ordeal I stripped my pants off, planning on a pantsless poo followed by a shower to clean off the ever groing sweat rash. Anyway i duno quite how i lost control of my.bowels so suddenly and at that very moment, but as soon as id removed my undies i shat a liquidy shit right there on there on the floor. it was pretty funny.
II then drank heavily on our rooftop pool until i gained the confidence to venture into the horrid street below as my gf wanted to shop for gifts for mates and what ever.
You know how they say 'dont drink the buckets' in s.e asia as they often swap liquor for more affordable harmful substances. Its happened to me before in Vietnam where after three i lost almost full control of my limbs and my gf basically carried me home. But i refused to go home until we got burgers lol.... she was surprisingly non plussed about it in the morning (we got the burgers). Thats the weird thing, i remember everything I just couldnt walk. So i drank three buckets last night and it wasnt nearly as bad. I did black out a bit. I remember bartering heavily for shit i didnt even want just for kicks. And im pretty glad we left the tattoo studio pre tattoo. But 24hours later my hangover has finally subsided. Im getting old eh.
Anyhow, one guy i saw repeatedly on the st ( and yes, back to the overpriced rayban thing), wanted to sell my gf a nice looking pair of knock offs for 950 Baht. haha. We had a laugh and i said id give him 50. He had a laugh and said hed do them for 800.
Long story short. As i hopped into the mini bus to the airport today he ran over with the glasses, "Okay okay 150". I held out a hundred, he looked pretty fucked off and waved me away. No exchange made. I hated bartering when i first got to s.e asia, but its kind of addictive. Im not out to rip anyone off. But i know im paying more than the locals do for everything on a daily basis (especially Vietnam and Thailand) soo i dont feel bad at all. I know theyre just trying to make ends meet. But not all white men are walking cash machines. I roll burritos for a living and saved for fucking months to get to asia.
Anyway good times.Would head back to Laos again for sure.
If i was to go back to Burma id establish contacts before going I think. Theres allot going on there that you wont see, and wont discover without local knowledge. But go sooner rather than later before its overly groped by the increasing influx of tourists.

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:46 am

10 hour layover in KLIA was a bit average, especially starting at 11.30pm.
Turns out its not the worst place to sleep though, seemed quite a popular place for a kip too. Wouldn't hurry back though. Back in Melbourne, with an empty bank account, piled up car fines and some serious ball/gooch chaffing/rash from S.E asian humidity.
Maybe Indonesia next year.....

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:17 am

Dude doing doing his thing, Bagan
Image

Temples, Bagan
Image
Image

Casual Living quarters, Yangon
Image
Image


Hilariously useless complaint centre, train station Yangon
Image

Impressive boat thing, Yangon ( I think, mayhaps Mandalay)
Image

Me doing my thing, 4000 islands
Image

Im not sure, but this Male toilet is assumedly for soliciting male on male sex,
Image

The guy translating this Thai toilet sign was surely having a laugh
Image

User avatar
stenchcore666
Posts: 722
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:43 pm
Location: Down For Whatever

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby stenchcore666 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:01 am

alrighty, for those of you who havnt been following my facebook posts, or dont know me on that format, Vang Viene was a pretty awesome place, only got to stay with mon and dave brown for a few days of debauchery, but yeah as dave said, pretty much the Amsterdam of Laos, shared a few mugs of opium tea and half a shroom shake with the mrs and went hooning around on our scooters at god knows what time in the morning trying to find all the local dogs to pat and share food with, which was bloody good fun. also the pharmacies there have a lot heavier pharmaceuticals that you cant get in Vientiane, eg: xanax, halcion and other stronger benzo based drugs, but that was the most ive paid for something over the counter 100,000KIP for a strip of ten, as opposed to diazapam or casual pain killers such as tramadol or those effervescent 30mg codiene tablets,(just like disprin!) which are far cheaper in comparison for making your own rungus version of "lean" in your desired alcoholic beverage. plus you can get shrooms, opium or weed cooked up into a pancake, omelette or pizza if you desire, shared a chocolate opium pancake and that put me on my ass and the scooter ride back to the bungalow was one serious struggle. But yeah you can buy takeaways from the places that sell it but if you get caught outside of the shop with it, youre gonna be paying one serious hefty fine, so just be a bit onto it
But yeah otherwise..... the scenery is just fucking beautiful, especially from our porch at the riverside bungalows (the cheap rungus ones, not the suave as other ones) only costs around $8NZ a night to stay there, nothing special, a basic double bed, a fan, window with netting and a mosquito net for your bed with a mean porch to watch the clouds roll over the buzziest looking mountains ive ever seen and a shared bathroom toilet area, but fuck who cares its pretty clean. The people who run it are fucking awesome too, real down to earth and extremely friendly we'd end up bring back tuna an milk every day to feed the cute as kittens and would bring back our uneaten food for the owner cause we would always order too much and they were just super stoked of simple gestures like that, i spose most of the people who stay are just fucking spoiled hippie chads who complain that the wifi isnt working or some shit.
the food is off the chain, pays too look around, some places are a lot cheaper than others, you can get a fucking amazing baguette filled to the brim with whatever you want from the street vendor for the price of a couple NZ dollars, but yeah eating out is also so cheap comparatively to NZ, more food than you can eat between 4 to 6 people with a few beers or cocktails for fuck all, just amazing. of course being from the deep south i was living on iced coffee everyday, and traded in my punk gears for shorts, dad sandles and cut the sleeves off my shirts.
The markets there were cool, got some cool bangle type things and mean braeclets with skulls carved from bones, but yeah more "pretty" stuff no badass stuff i spose, get a mean rechargeable headlamp for dumptering for about 4bux, but yeah gotta do the haggle they will always over charge you, tried to get charged the equivalent of $20 for two pairs of sunnies you'd get at a 2 dollar shop and pretty quickly they change their tune as you just start laughing and walk away.
spent about a week there all up, cool town but yeah pretty small so you can pretty much do all the mean shit, explore caves, go tubing down the mekong, eat mean food, get fucked up and drive scooters around and try to run over douchebag chad hippies!

So....... we get a bus from there to Vientiane, the capital of Laos, we spent one night there on the way to met up with dave and mon, and thought it would be cool to hang out there for a bit, so we arrive on a bus, its only a bout 5 hours or so book a pretty basic gust house with air con for 150000KIP a night, double bed, shower, basic as, the streets were a little too chaotic for my like for hiring a scooter so we just walked around most of the time, the place is pretty small anyway so its easy as to just walk anywhere and easy to navigate, but fuck me its so conservative, jill and I were getting the savage staredowns from all the officals eg: cops, army, security guards etc etc, i only saw a couple locals with tattoos but they were pretty rungus prison tatts so i guess they thought i was some hardout criminal or some shit, heaps of cunts were yelling shit at jill from cars and tuk tuks, just absolute pigs, went to the night and day markets but it wasnt anything i was interested in, but there are heaps of tailors everywhere so i was keen on getting a sick denim jacket made but most of them just took one look at us and told us to leave, fucking wankers! went to the Talat Sao Shopping Mall which is huge but pretty rungus, not like a westfield or anything like that just super hardout as chaos mall that sells bloody heaps of shit, but thats all it was just shit, nothing that tickled my fancy, jill scored some some Nike bootlegs and that was about it, but yeah, getting hardout stared down but security like they wanna take you out back ad beat the shit out of you if they had the chance. So stayed there for about 3 days in total and was just fucking over it, but yeah i spose its alright if you're a nice looking normal white person and not a scummy looking crust punk haha, but yeah couldnt find a single punk or a tattoo place anywhere, met a few GCs at pubs for a good chinwag but thats about it really, stocked up on the pharmacy and crossed the boarder and currently on our way to bangkok for a bit more of a fun time hopefully and turns out Magrudergrind are playing two days after we get in and been chatting to some bangkok punk bands on FB to hangout with!

chur bol!

Dubpunker
Posts: 1360
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 am

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby Dubpunker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:14 am

dave-brown wrote:
Lamb wrote:
PertHJ wrote:Sorry for your loss mate.

I guess your bag couldn't handle the jandle....

Julia and I are currently on the train between Krakow and Prague, there's free wifi and power! Amazing stuff.
Krakow was a bit of a short visit but a managed to eat heaps of pierogi, Zapiekanka, and Obwarzanki. Had a few good beers, and a real good ice cream (snickers and salted caramel). Checked out Auschwitz yesterday, pretty intense. Tourists can be awful.


I'm going to Europe in a few weeks.. have no real plan but wanna hit up some places in Poland, Germany, Amsterdam...
Easy enough to catch the trains and stuff?? Im getting semiretarded in my old age...
and any strong recommendations on places to visit??

Otherwise good read thread :popcorn:


Germany is easily my favourite country. Everyone goes to berlin. Ive never liked the place personally. too many hipsters and the punks are often dissinterested or rude due to the amount of travelers coming through. The infamous Kope squat for example, if i didnt know the bartender i dont think anyone would of even talked to me. That aside theres never a shortage of touristic activities. Especially if you're a war buff.
Hamburg is a fantastic river side city that has everything you want. Small enough to walk around the central suburbs and a really colourful place. interesting Wagenplatz's (sort of a punk version of trailer park boys) a left wing foot ball club, a strong hatred for gentrification and a plethora of sailor themed and punk bars. Oh also the biggest redlight district in europe...I got banned from kfc one night on the reeperbahn. I dunno if i should be proud of that or more ashamed i was in there in the first place. They fact they had a bouncer is pretty funny though.
There is a small museum in an old church, which focuses on the British bombing of Hamburg. It was very informative and its nice to be reminded, that it wasnt just the Nazis that played dirty. Bergen Belsen, the concentration camp is an hours drive from the city. Anne Franks grave stone is there.
The train system (between cities is fairly expensive). I often used ride share websites, sort of like pre organised hitching where u chip in for gas. https://m.blablacar.de
I never spent much time in many other German cities, merely driving through. The further south the more serious the people become. I found bavaria quite neat though, (keep in mind the bavarians and their northern counterparts like to think they are seperate countries, thats the closest thing to a joke u will encounter with many south Germans.
Munich is predominantly a conservative shit hole. (Avoid this place during Octoberfest) But there's many lovely parts to it. The historic beerhalls (Hitler used to speak at the Hoffbrau house, go have a stein there, theres a breif history of it on their placemats but they didnt mention a certain Austrian "artist" at all). Also the beergardens are incredible, they can seat up to 2000 people, families drinking beer and kinder eating große pretzels. Theyre so fucking huge they have small utes driving around collecting the 1L steins. Its an expensive place, some dorms were €30 a night. Fuck that, we caught the train to the end of the line by the zoo. Theres a campsite there on a rivers edge with clear fresh water coming down from the alps, good swimming..&they had a beer vending machine!!good god it was a good week. There were log rafts floating past everyone on board was heavily drunk and they even had Oompa bands on there. They were neat but u need to book months in advance.
Amsterdam has a reputation, one which is slowly fading as other cities around the world have become more liberal with drugs. I dont smoke weed so it didnt bother me either way.
Amazing cheeses and just generally a beautiful city. Hire a bicycle and just ride around. Theres a punk bar there called The cave, and sometimes some good shows at the Milkweg. (I saw cocksparrer there with Menace and Infa riot, fuck that was a cool night)
Basically i just took cocaine and rode a bike a round looking at the gorgeous architecture. Easy to get lost all the streets look the same.
I also got there from hamburg using a ride share web site. €15-20 i cant remember.
Poland wasn't what i expected at all. Krakow for instsnce is absolutely fucking beautiful. I only went there as it was the closest major town to Auschwitz, the main reason i was in Poland. Pretty eerie shit but definately worth visiting. Claw marks on the walls of the gas chambers and desperate poetry etched into cell walls.
The middle square of Krakow is something else eh. Great cathedrals and architecture dating back pretty far. Its a centre point for Polish nationalism, a huge shrine in the central castle to some Militant whom helped Poland gain independence. I forget his name, some nationalistic Prussian prick. Apparantly Hitler took a shining to the place and ordered it to be preserved furing the aerial bombings.
Thanks adolf.
Warsaw he seemed far less concerned with. The place was flattened. For some reason theres a newly constructed large tower smack in the middle, you pay to go to the top and look around all the rebuilt buildings from the late 40s, 50,s and onwards. Its not much of a sight really.
Oh but theres a sweet museum, theres a free section outside with the largest collection of planes, tanks and helicopters ive ever seen.....and theres a pub next door. You can drink beer and look at tanks. Cooooool!!!!!

Dont be afraid to head east either. Ljubljana in Slovenia is an amazing town, Slovakia is interesting, serbia and croatia are quite Intense and Prague in Czech is absolutely fucking gorgeous. Also their drinking culture suits me well. They have good smoked cheese not unlike the Slovakians, but then again that was once one nation. The beer in Czech isnt as strong as the Polish, but easily some of the best pilsner in the world. There is a rising problem with Nazism there unfortunately, well in most of europe actually. Some unfortunate reactions to the growing refugee chrisis. This time last year me and scotty from gripper went into a local pub in Kutna Hora, (near Prague). At first we thought they just disliked outsiders, as a scornful look accomponied the two pints, (being a punk for quite a while im quite accustomed and non plussed by such looks) Turns out they were staunch nationalists and there was white pride and patriotic propoganda decorating the walls. Somehow we'd overlooked that upon entering. We necked our beers and vamused pretty quick smart. So if you dress slightly punky or leftwing looking be weary. Serbia and croatia especially, actually ive been advised by many euro punks to not travel those two countries alone.
Vegetarian food in czech is horrible and rare but Germany has really stepped it up and vege options are readily available, pretty good considering their national diish is sausage.

Ryan air also does dirt cheap flights around europe. I got from Hamburg to London for €40. The train from the airport into Brixton was half the price of my flight lol.
Hope that is helpful.
Ohh and fuck england, their food and their cocaine sucks, the mainland is far more appealing.



I agree with everything. when i moved from hamburg to berlin it tooks years to find my place into the berlin punk scene - exhausting.
the melkweg in amsterdam is excellent!

User avatar
9seconds
Posts: 1891
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby 9seconds » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:07 am

stenchcore666 wrote: but yeah, getting hardout stared down but security like they wanna take you out back ad beat the shit out of you if they had the chance.


jeez, that kinda bums me out, i get that shit enough here, i can ignore crap like that if im drunk, but add some drugs to that mix and i can be kinda ..unpredictable.

bit of a concern, i suppose an altercation with a security guard or a cop could land you in an insane amount of shit over there.
Image
"Look how happy he is"

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:10 pm

stenchcore666 wrote:alrighty, for those of you who havnt been following my facebook posts, or dont know me on that format, Vang Viene was a pretty awesome place, only got to stay with mon and dave brown for a few days of debauchery, but yeah as dave said, pretty much the Amsterdam of Laos, shared a few mugs of opium tea and half a shroom shake with the mrs and went hooning around on our scooters at god knows what time in the morning trying to find all the local dogs to pat and share food with, which was bloody good fun. also the pharmacies there have a lot heavier pharmaceuticals that you cant get in Vientiane, eg: xanax, halcion and other stronger benzo based drugs, but that was the most ive paid for something over the counter 100,000KIP for a strip of ten, as opposed to diazapam or casual pain killers such as tramadol or those effervescent 30mg codiene tablets,(just like disprin!) which are far cheaper in comparison for making your own rungus version of "lean" in your desired alcoholic beverage. plus you can get shrooms, opium or weed cooked up into a pancake, omelette or pizza if you desire, shared a chocolate opium pancake and that put me on my ass and the scooter ride back to the bungalow was one serious struggle. But yeah you can buy takeaways from the places that sell it but if you get caught outside of the shop with it, youre gonna be paying one serious hefty fine, so just be a bit onto it


chur bol!


Lol im surprised you left Vangvieng allready, half expected you two to find a job working at one of the opium dens and staying for a few months.
See you in a few weeks brother xx, (No squat yet, but working on it)

User avatar
dave-brown
Posts: 1739
Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: A.K city drunk punx
Contact:

Re: Myanmar (Burma) and Laos...

Postby dave-brown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

Well Myanmar has certainly been in the news allot lately. The persecution of the Rohingya people has been happening for a long time but it seems to have reached a headway. Aung san suu kyi is proven to be a bit of a spineless bitch who is silently advocating the ethnic clensing of her country. The members of the muslim majoroty Rahkine state have been denied citizenship since the early 80s.
When i was there a year ago the locals in the mertropiltan areas seemed so hopeful at the prospect of newly found democracy. Shes since done deals with the military which once incarcerated her, and now theyre simply burning raping and killing. International intrerest hasnt really increased from 'urging' the Burmese government to step in. Seems a weak approach. This is really a very sad and fucked situation.
Plus Aung san suu kyi wont even talk publicly or even meet the u.n.... ftw
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/09/a ... 38389.html


Return to “Miscellaneous”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests