New and aspiring home owner discussion forum

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
dustbinflowers

Re: New and aspiring home owner discussion forum

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:26 am

I grew up in Darwin. The cockroaches fly, are huge, and get into wiring and electronics, and fuck them up, as well as all the normal cockroachy things. I'm hoping Auckland ones are not that bad!
Uncinia vector

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:49 am

Yeah rates are gay! I have a metric shot ton of work to do on my house. First job in the new year is to replace the flooring in the master bedroom. Borer. Little fuckers. I've rewired most of the house and also got rid of the header tank and put a pressure reducing valve in so the shower isn't a dribble. This is my second home. Diyed the Fuck out of our first home and made 33k when we sold it. The previous owners of our current house were the most useless cunts when it came to diy, pretty much ruined a good house. We have to undo all their work and make it better. I have the skills and I know the right people to do it though. Good luck fellow home owners with all your diy projects.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:18 am

Yeah we have a shit load here to. Got a bunch of mitre 10 vouchers from the olds for Christmas so prob start with a new vanity and redo the bathroom. Also painting the outside its about 80% prepped and the inside too fucking hell what a mission. Lucky my dads a painter and skilled carpenter or we'd be fucked

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:42 am

Just got a re evaluation of my house from the council which equals more rates no doubt :/

Reno starts this month! Have to install a door in the lounge onto our big deck, pour a new driveway, paint and decorate almost every room... It's not all bad tho, just do some baking, get high as fuck, chuck on some music and sand and paint from sun up til sun down, its actually kinda zen ;)

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 am

Yeah I like painting, just hate wallpaper. I've been looking at our walls this morning- the front of the house is original, 100+yo, wallpaper over scrim, will probably just bog the dings and paint over. The lounge is masonite, paint over, and the dining and kitchen is gib, with a few cracks that need plastering. All complicated by an eqc claim that is to be passed to us. Looking fwd to picking colours!
Uncinia vector

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:08 am

I haven't wallpapered yet, I used to paint and plaster in between film jobs, so I'm pretty confident with that side of things... our house was built in 1942, so I picked up two rolls of 1950s wallpaper to do around the fire place. I'm thinking you tube videos? It can't be that hard right?

I am also plastering and painting over old wall paper ha ha. Probably only stay in this place another year, just tidying up for sale ;)

old school punk

Postby old school punk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:07 am

dustbinflowers wrote:Yeah I like painting, just hate wallpaper. I've been looking at our walls this morning- the front of the house is original, 100+yo, wallpaper over scrim, will probably just bog the dings and paint over. The lounge is masonite, paint over, and the dining and kitchen is gib, with a few cracks that need plastering. All complicated by an eqc claim that is to be passed to us. Looking fwd to picking colours!

Im not sure if its a local bylaw but youre insurance wont cover you if you have scrim . Its a fire hazard and down here when you sell a house you have to state that.
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

buckton

Postby buckton » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:11 pm

My dad went cheapo on his house on the rooms that still had scrim. Just put hardboard over the top didn't even remove the scrim just hid it, Black Sabbath sounded better in my room afterwards so I was cool with it. Mum put plasterboard up at hers and Black Sabbath didn't sound as good.
ImageImageImage

buckton

Postby buckton » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:13 pm

also Cockroaches have wings in WA haven't seen them fly yet though just buzz them a bit then run away and fuck they're fast.
ImageImageImage

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:25 pm

old school punk wrote:
dustbinflowers wrote:Yeah I like painting, just hate wallpaper. I've been looking at our walls this morning- the front of the house is original, 100+yo, wallpaper over scrim, will probably just bog the dings and paint over. The lounge is masonite, paint over, and the dining and kitchen is gib, with a few cracks that need plastering. All complicated by an eqc claim that is to be passed to us. Looking fwd to picking colours!

Im not sure if its a local bylaw but youre insurance wont cover you if you have scrim . Its a fire hazard and down here when you sell a house you have to state that.

Hmm good to know. I just checked- thin horizontal wood and horsehair and plaster - that's sarking, right? Don't suppose you know if that's insurable?
Uncinia vector

old school punk

Postby old school punk » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:00 pm

dustbinflowers wrote:
old school punk wrote:

Hmm good to know. I just checked- thin horizontal wood and horsehair and plaster - that's sarking, right? Don't suppose you know if that's insurable?

Not sure about the horse hair as it normally looks sort of like old hessian sacks .But before spend any money id ring your insurance company
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Def not hessian anyway.
I'm also planning garden awesomeness, ready for next summer :)
Uncinia vector

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:49 pm

dustbinflowers wrote:
old school punk wrote:

Nope that's called lath and plaster. Older than scrim. Fucking horrible to work on/around. Good luck with that. Insurance should be fine. Get your wiring checked though.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:27 pm

Cheers for the advice!
Wiring looks to have been redone, maybe late 80s looking at the light fittings.
Uncinia vector

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:23 pm

Some insurers might/do care about scrim, but some don't care.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

old school punk

Postby old school punk » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:27 am

Any Day Now wrote:I haven't wallpapered yet, I used to paint and plaster in between film jobs, so I'm pretty confident with that side of things... our house was built in 1942, so I picked up two rolls of 1950s wallpaper to do around the fire place. I'm thinking you tube videos? It can't be that hard right?

I am also plastering and painting over old wall paper ha ha. Probably only stay in this place another year, just tidying up for sale ;)

Best advise is take your time and don't overlap

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Drew up my house in 3D CAD today so I can see where I want to put things and see if it works when I do renovations. Currently designing an AV cabinet that recesses into the old fireplace and has a disappearing TV on a sliding rail bracket system. Going to be boss as fuck. Just struggling to find actual dimensions of tvs. They just spout off all the features but no real dimensions. I just need to allow a bit more I guess.

buckton

Postby buckton » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Frames aren't that big anymore, got a Samsung 55" model before current one and it's 1450mm diagonally 1260mm wide 730mm high (without the stand of course) and about 35mm deep!
ImageImageImage

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:56 pm

buckton wrote:Frames aren't that big anymore, got a Samsung 55" model before current one and it's 1450mm diagonally 1260mm wide 730mm high (without the stand of course) and about 35mm deep!

Sweet cheers. That gives me some good measurements to go off

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:13 pm

The CAD drawing is a good idea, might do that.
Your design sounds flash as
Uncinia vector

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:19 pm

Basically a stealth TV hidden away from the child(s). Going to make the focus of the room not the TV but instead a massive awesomely designed bookshelf that will take up the whole wall. All AV stuff hidden from plain sight until you pull the TV out of it's little slider. Going to be super awesome. A lot of things have to happen first though. Have to remove the brick fire place (earthquake hazard and disused) Installing a PV array on the roof too as I can get sweet deals through work. About $5K for a 7.68kVA array just hooked straight into the grid. No batteries just offsets power bill. That work is a little further down the track. I have a priority list. It's really awesome working in million dollar houses because it gives you great ideas for your own home. I've seen some fucking horrible things too.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:03 am

Lummoxgrinder wrote: Installing a PV array on the roof too as I can get sweet deals through work. About $5K for a 7.68kVA array

Score. Hookups through work? Been seriously looking at doing this.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:07 am

Marrow wrote:
Lummoxgrinder wrote: Installing a PV array on the roof too as I can get sweet deals through work. About $5K for a 7.68kVA array

Score. Hookups through work? Been seriously looking at doing this.

Do it. We have the same setup at work and depending on daylight hours etc we pay anywhere between $30 a month to a credit. Pretty sweet.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:42 am

Even in winter? I mean I know you said you get it through work for like 5k, but I though most consumer setups were in the 20k range, so its a pretty big investment these days?
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I plan to use similar systems to design my ultimate park bench and turnip.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

buckton

Postby buckton » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:44 pm

Power violence solar panels? I should draw you ultimate park bench.
ImageImageImage

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:00 pm

As long as it doesn't cost me much. I've done my sums and unless my fortunes or the nature of our society changes drastically I ain't ever going to own shit and like a frightening number of people will probably end up on the shit heap. That's with working and everything too. It's like pushing shit uphill. From my position I'd rather civilisation blow itself up. I'm actually seriously worried about ending up old and destitute.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:15 pm

Marrow wrote:Even in winter? I mean I know you said you get it through work for like 5k, but I though most consumer setups were in the 20k range, so its a pretty big investment these days?

Depends on how much power you use I guess. That's what the bill at work is like but that just runs computers and lights most of the time. I have half the house in LEDs and will do the rest next year. All my lighting all up is about 160watts for the whole house. It's not a full size PV array and there are no batteries to buy/maintain. Just a special meter is required that works both ways. There is a bit of fucking around to get it set up and there are a whole swag of regulations involving the installation of the panels and cabling. AS/NZS 5033:2012 is the standard for installation also would pay to read AS/NZS 3000:2012 too if you are doing any of the work or want to check up on the tradesman doing the job.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:32 pm

Photos of new house :)

http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Wow. Nice work champ.

Return to “Miscellaneous”