Thinking about getting a smart phone...

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
FC
Orange Ska Dork

Thinking about getting a smart phone...

Postby FC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 am

So...thinking about finally entering the world of smartphones. My old BP quality LG piece of shit just isn't working as well as she used to unfortunately, and maybe it's time to put the old girl to rest.

Any recommendations people? I don't need to spend a months salary on the best thing ever, and will probably just use maps, facebook and angry birds (though I guess who knows at this point). Was looking at S3 mini or HTC desire X, as I'm a bit worried about getting a gigantic thing that will hardly fit in my pocket. Maybe that's not really an issue once you have one though.

So anyway, give me all your advices so I can stop reading page after page of online reviews.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Livestock

Re: Thinking about getting a smart phone...

Postby Livestock » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 am

Buy a Galaxy S4. Best phone on the market.
Does everything the best way it can.
Buy an otterbox and a screen protector.

They're 800USD-ish.. Not a months salary.
It's a good camera, a computer a phone a GPS and a whole bunch more so it's actually cheap.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 am

But it's not "actually cheap". I'm not looking to get the best thing on the market, I've survived fine until now with a phone that can barely make calls.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:01 am

Get whatever the cheaper galaxy is then? Pretty much all the smartphones do the same shit, the cheaper ones are just a bit slower with cheaper cameras and shit.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 am

I did look at the nexus too, on pricespy.co.nz they're as low as $450, and looking around here in europe I can't find it for less than 350 euros. Seems it was a good deal at one stage, but since they stopped making them (from what I've read), the price has gone up.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 am

Don't get a desire, the wifi doesn't work properly and their support is retarded.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 am

If you just want something cheap and functional that'll handle the basic smartphone carry on, see if you can find a Huawei ascend y300. Roughly the size of an iphone, with a decent enough camera and runs angry birds just fine. Mine was $100. No fucks given if it dies in 6 months.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:38 am

Question, is anyone using a windows 8 phone, and can anyone compare it to android operating system? Nokia Lumia 520 seems like a decent enough phone for a good price, but I wonder if its better to have Android over Windows 8.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:14 am

I have wp7 phone. Yeah its buttery as fuck but there's no apps for it.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:34 am

Everyone I know who was suckered into a windows phone thoroughly regrets it.

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:50 pm

I'd just get the gruntiest Galaxy as you can for the amount you're happy to spend.
I'd buy the one that can run the highest version of Android OS as you (ie it will be longer before it's redundant).

Galaxy = common, so plenty of knowledge, advice and support for them.

PS - Only Windows phone user I know is not unknown to complain he can't do things I can do on my $100 Galaxy.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Seems like there is always something around the corner that will cause all the prices to drop :(

Thanks guys, a lot of good stuff here, will definitely help in picking my new phone, chur chur!

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:28 am

A number of stores in Asia are telling people not to buy products with Windows8 as Microsoft didn't iron out all the bugs.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:43 am

J wrote:if i were to get a new phone soon id be holding out for htc one max which is due this month, but im going to wait for their 2014 flagship instead.

Yeah I have the HTC One, such a chur phone.

Seemed massive when I first got it but now when I use my old one it seems ridiculously tiny, the big screen is fucking awesome for cranking Netflix on shitter breaks at work.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

[TeamPropagandhi]Mob King

Postby [TeamPropagandhi]Mob King » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 pm

Sup Aidan, reckon you have to go Android. Have you heard of Xiaomi? TradeMe doesn't list them but I presume you just shove an NZ sim in and they go straight away.

Very very good specs for a fraction of what Samsung, Apple etc other guys charge.
Make assassinations, not war!

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:44 pm

FC wrote:But it's not "actually cheap". I'm not looking to get the best thing on the market, I've survived fine until now with a phone that can barely make calls.

As soon as you get a smartphone, the 'I just need to text and call' people quickly goes out the window. People suddenly realise the advantage of being able to bring up 'lolz' videos on youtube while chatting to their mates, look up pointless facts to prove a point, use GPS to find the nearest liquor store, buy 'enthralling' games they hate that are 'good to kill time' and fire out some sneaky knuckle children because they're too lazy to get out of bed.

Find a few phones in your price range and use http://www.gsmarena.com/. The S3 mini's a decent enough phone, but don't buy it with the expectation you're going to get a cheap S3. It's a low end phone and only really looks like an S3.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

haiku terror shades

Postby haiku terror shades » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:10 pm

Most of the people on this thread are talking arse - get a solid new dumbphone and a cheap android device (dx.com etc), cos otherwise you'll eat the battery watching cat videos and getting phone calls while you're doing other shit on your phone is freaking annoying anyway.

kettles

Postby kettles » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:04 pm

I bought a used Galaxy S2 not long ago and modded it with a custom Andoid ROM. Runs pretty mean. Although texting on it is a pain in the ass. Next time I'll just buy a tablet and keep using old mate Nokia, buttons rule

Return to “Miscellaneous”