Japan

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
Drax

Japan

Postby Drax » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Going to Tokyo soon (probably gonna be spending most of our time around Shinjuku-ku and Shibuya-ku). Looking for any recommendations on the following:

• Good record shops (for punk/hardcore/alt. stuff & cheap vinyl esp. classic rock).
  • Fucking boss as places to eat that are also reasonably cheap (vege/vegan).
  • Good venues/places online to check for punk shows.
  • Any especially good bars/places to party.
  • We're also going to be in Osaka for a night or two so if there is any particular night-time entertainment worth hunting down there it'd be good to know.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions about particular Tokyo districts that are especially worth visiting chuck those cunts up in here. I know plenty of you have visited the country and a couple even live there so any good advice for a first-time visitor would be appreciated.

:n00b:
Last edited by Drax on Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiction & Falsehood

Re: Japan

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:31 am

when you get there, buy meltykiss green tea chocolates, dear god they are good.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eKUG22mpDE[/youtube]

Fucking hell, if watching someone else eat them can make that snowman smile they've gotta be worth trying out.

That reminds me, keen for suggestions for vege/vegan food. Would be keen for some delicious whale but I'm not eating meat atm.

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:20 am

When do you arrive? I'll post some info in a day or two. Would offer to put you up, but I live in Okinawa (way far from the mainland).

Drax

Postby Drax » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:25 am

Not until 7 April. Seem to be pretty sorted for acommodation, staying in a fairly cheap hostel-type place for most of the nights.

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:47 am

All good. You mentioned that you want to go and see some gigs, so I'd recommend you sort out some decent earplugs before coming over. Most venues are pretty small, yet have full PA rigs, so it gets loud as fuck!

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:49 am

I have green tea Meltykiss on my desk right now :)
2 left.
Uncinia vector

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:58 am

WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THEM!?

i have two empty wrappers on either side of me, but none more and i dont know where to get them outside of japan, there is one new asian supermarket i have tried tho, maybe that can be todays mission, if ive gotten paid that is, asian supermarket tour, im out of dumplings too
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:36 am

we had work visitors from Japan a month ago. If I see some here in Chch I'll get you some.
Uncinia vector

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:14 pm

mine came from japan too :(

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 pm

I'm pretty sure I have seen them in Chch before- it's pretty good for awesome Asian supermarkets here
Uncinia vector

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:10 pm

Drax wrote:Going to Tokyo soon (probably gonna be spending most of our time around Shinjuku-ku and Shibuya-ku)

whos the lucky guy?

is it your bf Kerry??

:baton:
Kramer Murphy and Associates

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:05 pm

:oops: :oops: :oops: :fadein: :wink:

Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Kev Japan wrote:When do you arrive? I'll post some info in a day or two. Would offer to put you up, but I live in Okinawa (way far from the mainland).

Ive got a mate coming over from Okinawa next week, looks beautiful man.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:00 am

ghetto ninja wrote:
Kev Japan wrote:When do you arrive? I'll post some info in a day or two. Would offer to put you up, but I live in Okinawa (way far from the mainland).

Ive got a mate coming over from Okinawa next week, looks beautiful man.

It's fucking awesome here. Whereabouts is your mate from in Okinawa?

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:29 am

Drax wrote:That reminds me, keen for suggestions for vege/vegan food. Would be keen for some delicious whale but I'm not eating meat atm.

Good luck.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:17 am

should make an exception for some whale really, chance of a lifetime.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 am

funny in a horrible kind of way if whale became a tourism product for the kiwi dollar

Drax

Postby Drax » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:43 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:
Drax wrote:Going to Tokyo soon (probably gonna be spending most of our time around Shinjuku-ku and Shibuya-ku)

whos the lucky guy?

is it your bf Kerry??

:)

We booked us a hostel for eight nights in Tokyo last night. Starting to get butterflies in my penis.

:B-fly:

Devon

Postby Devon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:38 am

I'm going on Tuesday. Which hostel you staying at?
My favourite parts of Tokyo are Kichijoji, Asakusa and Akihabara.
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

Drax

Postby Drax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:18 am

Staying at Hotel Yanagibasi.

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:39 am

Live Houses (don't forget the earplugs):

Check out Turtle Island (raging tribal punk) here on April 7th: http://www.club-quattro.com/shibuya/schedule
Great venue - UK Subs and Forward play here on April 8th (FUCKING GO TO THIS!), and Framtid and Gauze play on the 21st http://www.antiknock.net/
Club Liner http://www.club-liner.net/

Make sure you print out a map to get to venues as the can be notoriously hard-to-find. When you're in the general vicinity, be on the lookout for punks on the piss outside from around 6pm. Drinking in public is permitted here.

Shops:

Most of the great shops have closed and are run as distros out of people's apartments these days. A few still exist, however:

Disk Union stores in Shinjuku have tons of cheap punk/metal/hardcore vinyl and cds http://diskunion.net/st/shop/e_index.html
Killers is a newish shop I don't know much about, but could be interesing http://shimokita-killers.com/top.html

These shops always have tons of upcoming gig fliers as well.

Food:

Finding veggie food is tough in Japan, but in Tokyo there are tons of decent Indian restaurants. They do the best deals at lunchtimes where you could get a decent meal for around 1,000 yen. A lot of places in Tokyo have lunch buffets where you can eat as much as you can.

Kaitenzushi (revolving sushi) shops usually have quite a few vegetarian options and you can take whatever you want as it comes around. Go for kappa-maki (cucumber roll), shinko-maki (pickled daikon roll) and natto-maki (fermented soybeans roll).

Saizeria is a chain with cheap as Italian food. Many of these are open 24 hours and the have a few vegetarian options like pepperoncino pasta and a bunch of salads.

Freshness Burger are another chain with decent tofu burgers and mexican bean burgers for a reasonable price.

Pretty much all ramen sold in Japanese restaurants is made from pork soup.

I'm not a big fan of the Roppongi area myself (too many sketchy cunts), but it's alright for different kinds of food.

Tons of info here, but call in advance to make sure these places are still open before heading over: http://www.vegietokyo.com/info4vegie/restaurant/index.html

Beer:

Check out the Yebisu beer museum, it's a fucking wicked place to get a midday beer: http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/empty/tokyo/yebisu-beer-museum/7615.htm

I'll post any other info as it comes to mind. Have fun!

Kev Japan

Postby Kev Japan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:55 am

I noticed you'll also be in Osaka. Skip Umeda (it sucks) and head to Shinsaibashi and Namba areas on the Midosuji Subway line.

Check out Punk & Destroy Record Shop in Shinsaibashi for records and tons of gig info. Def. take a map and look for the sign with a skull on it outside http://punx.exblog.jp/i8/

In the same building is Bar Konton run by Habi from Gloom. It has to be seen to be believed!

King Cobra is a great venue in the same area: http://king-cobra.net/first.html

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:11 pm

There is a vege/vegan? ramen restaurant inside Tokyo station. I went there a few times with some vegan friends that are living in Tokyo. It's not bad, but I generally prefer my curries/noodles/soups flavored with animal juice.
ONE MAN CREW

Devon

Postby Devon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:There is a vege/vegan? ramen restaurant inside Tokyo station. I went there a few times with some vegan friends that are living in Tokyo. It's not bad, but I generally prefer my curries/noodles/soups flavored with animal juice.

HAHA, I went there with Josh the other day.

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Try some vegetarian whale sushi, watch out for Godzilla and the Tsunamis
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

Devon

Postby Devon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Might sound a bit racial, but DO NOT take up offers from nigerians telling you to come drink at their bars.
GODZ bar in Shinjuku is pretty funny if you like metal. They just take requests and have just about any metal you can think of. Expensive drinks though.
If you wanna get messed up on a budget just buy 9% chu hi or whisky from the convenience stores and drink on the street. So many characters in Shinjuku at night.

yesyesyes

Postby yesyesyes » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:34 pm

Drax wrote:
Cosmo Kramer wrote:

whos the lucky guy?

is it your bf Kerry??

:)

We booked us a hostel for eight nights in Tokyo last night. Starting to get butterflies in my penis.

:B-fly:

im in japan atm you should really buy a train pass befor you come the shinkansen is the only way to get round the country and tokyo is ok but you really want to go to osaka on a friday night its crazy fun

i dont know how long your going for but the train pass can be use on the local city lines aswell
http://www.railplus.co.nz/japan-by-rail ... s-info.htm

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Definitely agree on the rail pass, it seems expensive but the cost of Shinkansen tickets would add up pretty quick. We ended up doing a bunch of cool stuff we never planned to because we had already paid for unlimited travel for two weeks. Dunno if it's the sort of thing you're into, but fuji-q highland was perhaps the highlight of my trip.
ONE MAN CREW

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:15 pm

i wanna hang out in nigerian bars in japan

Return to “Miscellaneous”