South East Asia

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
yourstruly

South East Asia

Postby yourstruly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Girlfriend and I are landing in Singapore 30th Jan and flying out 15th Feb. We're thinking of spending most of our time in Singapore & Thailand, but keen to possibly go somewhere else in-between. Wanna make the most of our trip, but make sure it's still relaxingish and not trying to do too much for the amount of time we have there.

Any of you guys got experience with this and have any solid advice/info to share? we've done a bit of research online, but mostly just have no clue about anything.

Chur : 8)

Lurch

Re: South East Asia

Postby Lurch » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:29 pm

inb4 ladyboys

hear the swimming is good in bangkok.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:36 pm

yourstruly wrote:any solid advice/info to share?

one word

Lady Boi's

:baton:

I posted it, left my desk, came back and lurch had snaked me :baton:

Fuuuuck you beat me to it
Kramer Murphy and Associates

yourstruly

Postby yourstruly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:52 pm

haha, down as for some lady boi action

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Best thing I did in Thailand was bamboo rafting down a river after two days of trekking through hill tribes around Chiang Mai. But as that is doing something and not exactly relaxing I would recommend going to Phuket and doing fuck all. We stayed at Kata Beach which is on the main island. Nice beach, lots of touristy shit if you feel like doing something otherwise just lay around and get people to serve you drinks on the beach. Also can easily find lady boys if you're into that.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:42 pm

Spend more time in Thailand than Singapore Jeff. Thailand is way heaps meaner with heaps more adventuring possibilities.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Kriss Dee

Postby Kriss Dee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:52 pm

Just went through there on the way home from the Middle East. Singapore was okay for a day but I'd suggest catching a bus straight into Malaysia. The old Portuguese capital at Malacca is a 2-hour bus trip from Singapore ($35-40 into Malaysia/$12 coming the other way). Pretty cool town; especially the canal strip through Chinatown. Eatin's good in Malaysia. You could bus right through from Singapore into Thailand overnight.

CHINASKI

Postby CHINASKI » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:38 pm

Avoid Phuket and spend little as possible time in Bangkok, so many more amazing places. Hit up the islands off Phuket if that's where you'll be and Krabi, couple places (hat ton sai?)there are secluded and rad if you like smoking weed and rock climbing/canoeing etc. Ko Samui/Ko Phangan definately an experience, full moon party is a little disgusting but some interesting people around, especially if you stay at 'Laidback Resort' tiny chill place with little huts, met one of Albert Hoffmans cronies there, no shit.

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 am

Yeah, avoid Phuket. Koh Samui is much better. Don't go to Penang as it has nothing much to offer unless you're doing a visa run.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:27 am

Chiang Mai and Krabi are cool places to explore. Koh Samet for some relaxes. Avoid Phuket and Koh Samui. Koh Samet is kinda the same buzz as Samui but smaller and more a local destination than a tourist destination, so it's not overrun with drunk Americans and English, and is a little more peaceful. Also Chiang Rai if you wanna stay with some tribes and do some opiums. But if I was to go back to SE Asia I'd check out Laos or Cambodia over Thailand. Have a hoon on a Lonely Planet book, they're pretty on to it.
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:41 pm

S E Asia is good times, you'll have a blast.

Double check your visas!

By all accounts, Singapore is pricey, so I would recommend getting the fuck out asap.

Chiang Mai has been recommended to me by everyone who has been there. Getting the fuck out of Bangkok asap also rates highly. I liked Malaysia - KL is a mecca for shopping.

Touts and scams are an unavoidable evil - the important thing to remember is that losing face is a huge deal there, so never, ever get visibly angry at anyone, the poor cunts are just trying to make coin doing a crap job. For some reason, they seem to get really shitty if you ask the price of something, so unless you genuinely want to buy whatever it is, save yourself the hassle. Just say no to all those clipboard survey / random scratch card free prize people - it's always a scam. Avoid rickshaws and always use the main taxi companies. I'd be wary as fuck about hiring scooters or jetskis, especially at the islands and resort spots - they're notorious for scamming you into paying fuck loads for damages and you don't want to find yourself facing the prospect of being broke versus getting kicked to fuck. Personally, I'd avoid drugs there - it's just not worth the risk at all, dealers make more money shopping you to cops than they make from selling.

Avoid ice and fruit, especially pre-sliced, no matter where you are eating. I got righteously sick in Vietnam eating banana at a 5 star resort. Always drink bottled water. Take a supply of gastro powders and immodium pills.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Worked for a bit in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur - definitely would suggest not mucking about in Singapore...shit's much more interesting north.

Adam The Muss

Postby Adam The Muss » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:25 pm

Singapore is interesting for a look around but I wouldn't spend too much time there. I had a walk down the main road looking at all the rich cunt shops and that was about it. There was no way I was being let into the Armani store.

Thailand on the other hand is great! My favourite country I've been to. I spent 5 weeks training there last year and highly recommend it! Everything is cheap, the food is amazing and the people are friendly.
cool guy69 wrote:last nite my nutter of A flat mate was in the kitchen making a feed,what ever i couldnt give a crap but tthe bloody doofus not only leaves the element on but he wedged two knives in there wtf?? luckily i was therre to run them under cold water , talk about A bloody fire hazard. i had to wipe the bench down after he had spilled herbs all over it as well Lol ah well thats flat life for u eh

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:27 pm

4 floors of whores.

yourstruly

Postby yourstruly » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm

this is all real helpful, cheers guys! Definitely gonna be avoiding drugs over there, not even keen to smoke weed 'til after we're back home. The thought of getting in serious trouble just for having traces in my piss scares the fuck out of me..

So basically Singapore/Bangkok is only worth spending a day or two in max, if at all..? the only thing i'm super keen on in Singapore is the skatepark (thinking about it though, having a skateboard on me will suck) and my gf really desperately wants to go to some massive theme park in Bangkok

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:41 pm

I liked Bangkok, but I was 16 at the time and had never been overseas before so that could skew my opinion. I think now after travelling a lot more I would definitely be after somewhere more low key.

If you do end up spending time there definitely check out Chatuchak Markets. The 35-acre area of Chatuchak is home to more than 8,000 market stalls.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 pm

yourstruly wrote:So basically Singapore/Bangkok is only worth spending a day or two in max, if at all..? the only thing i'm super keen on in Singapore is the skatepark (thinking about it though, having a skateboard on me will suck) and my gf really desperately wants to go to some massive theme park in Bangkok

If you have a plan of sorts for something you want to do in those cities, then by all means, go hard. I think it's more that with limited time - 2 weeks is really fuck all - it's easy to get stuck in those sorts of cities, especially if you're winging it. Getting used to the climate and sheer randomness of working out getting around kills days easily, as does travelling between places if you're not on early morning flights.

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:25 am

Can anyone reccomend a hostel in Bangkok?

I leave next friday for 3 weeks in the area as well. Sounds like i am doing something similar to what thecroc did up in Chiang Mai, But then i think i will head over to Cambodia, to check out the genocide musuems and Angkor Wat.

mr sterile

Postby mr sterile » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:49 pm

go here for Singapore http://lioncitydiy.blogspot.com/
and if near KL check out here, in fact Ricecooker is possibly the best SAE site for all sorts of fermented punk goodness
http://ricecooker.kerbau.com/

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:55 pm

yourstruly wrote:haha, down as for some lady boi action

Jeff you are a Lady boy. Your little sister is twice the man you'll ever be :P
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:26 pm

distilledwater wrote:Can anyone reccomend a hostel in Bangkok?

almost all the hostels are in khao sun road. if you are into fake dreads, europeans and 'backpacker culture', you will love it, if not stay far away. pratunaum is a sweet area, you can get a hotel for around $40 a night

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Where and what did you train when you were there Adam?

Looking into it for this year at some stage.

distilledwater

Postby distilledwater » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:09 pm

scott penk wrote:
distilledwater wrote:Can anyone reccomend a hostel in Bangkok?

almost all the hostels are in khao sun road. if you are into fake dreads, europeans and 'backpacker culture', you will love it, if not stay far away. pratunaum is a sweet area, you can get a hotel for around $40 a night

Sweet as! yeah did a bit of looking around, found a guest house down by Hua Lamphong station which will be good, not too keen to spend all my time up at Khao San.

Return to “Miscellaneous”