Places to check out in Northland

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
kettles

Places to check out in Northland

Postby kettles » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:24 am

I'm doing "the great kiwi road trip" over "nu yarez" and on the hunt for awesome beaches, forests, pubs, buzzy shit worth checking out. Spending some time camping at Cape Reinga, already got Te Paki sand dunes on the list, got other suggestions?

orangeutan

Re: Places to check out in Northland

Postby orangeutan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:05 pm

There's an excellent pub to check out in Morewa called the "klondike", would recommend a visit.

orangeutan

Postby orangeutan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 pm

Also If you're around Whangarei would check out some of the beaches along the Tutukaka coast especially whale bay. If further up north would try Taupo bay.

Grave Dancer

Postby Grave Dancer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:24 pm

^^ whale bay's neat, i used to love snorkeling around there. Mt Manaia is nice to climb too. Peach Cove is also in the area and a small trek to get to, but lovely and out of the way- there's a wee spring there so its handy for camping.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:24 pm

Not really that far north but def check out Goat Island for snorkelling if you haven't before
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Take a photo at Uretiti for the loals.

kettles

Postby kettles » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:07 pm

excellent suggestions punkas, keep them cumming

been to Goat Island, nice place

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm

The white sands over on the eastern side, somewhere up near Te Kao. Plus when you turn off the main road and head there, you pass through a Bull farm, well it seemed like it was, never seen so many of them in one spot, just as good as the beach itself.
Hokianga Harbour, all round it. The barge across to/from Rawene is cool too.
Waipoua Forest. Say no more.
If you can, drive up 90 Mile Beach right from Ahipara. Incredible.
Ancient Kauri Kingdom in Awanui. Amazing cafe/museum with a massive old Kauri right in the middle that has a spiral staircase carved in the centre of it.
Mangonui fish and chip shop.
Karikari peninsula, especially whatuwhiwhi.
Herekino is a cool spot too.

Fucken love it up there. Remember though, there is the Far North, and then there's the "Real" Far North, i'm sure the locals will let you know :wink:
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Bethells Lake

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:05 pm

+1 for crossing the Hokianga car ferry and seeing Tane Mahuta.

The dude at the Te Kao dairy made a huge as ice cream in '04.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

yvon

Postby yvon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 pm

If you're going up the cape, stop in at Ancient Kauri Kingdom at Awanui, to oggle at the staircase.

If you have the cash, I recommend the Uni-mog tour up the gumfields and around the coast from Ahipara. I think Harrisons was the name of the company, but it was some years ago that I did it. Went past the seaweed pickers settlement at Tauroa Point.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/northland/kaitaia-area/ahipara/features/

Also, Trounsen Kauri park, if you're going up the west coast.
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/places-to-visit/northland/kauri-coast/trounson-kauri-park/
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:41 pm

Grave Dancer wrote:^^ whale bay's neat, i used to love snorkeling around there. Mt Manaia is nice to climb too. Peach Cove is also in the area and a small trek to get to, but lovely and out of the way- there's a wee spring there so its handy for camping.

Yeah Whale Bay! I used to live in Tutukaka, are you from there? Nice coast. Great surf at Sandy Bay too if there's swell.

Around the point south at Ahipara in the far north is an awesome mission. There are heaps of nice secluded spots you can set up camp. Amazing sunsets. If you go further around you can check out where the seaweed pickers live. Drive back around and up 90 Mile Beach to The Bluff, where there's a basic DoC campsite. Nice spot. Grab some mussels off the rocks for dinner. Or you could be sneaky and grab a couple of toheroa. I've only once had them because the local ranger encouraged us to give them a go. Oh and you gotta do the dunes thing too. Good fun.
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

Grave Dancer

Postby Grave Dancer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:04 pm

born and lived in Whangarei for most of my yoof, so I used to head up to the Heads and around tutukaka/matapouri ways quite a bit. fun times

donvito

Postby donvito » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:27 pm

skate park in kerikeri :arrow:

superloo in taupo

the rangitikei tavern in bulls

the uruweras

katikati the mural city of nz

moerewa

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:15 pm

Grave Dancer wrote:born and lived in Whangarei for most of my yoof, so I used to head up to the Heads and around tutukaka/matapouri ways quite a bit. fun times

Oh cool. Yeah I was born there too. But grew up in Australia and Kerikeri before moving to Tutukaka when I was about 10. Also lived in Tikipunga for a couple of years before moving down here.

Whangarei Heads is rad. Spent a lot of time camping at Ocean Beach. One time there was a massive weed haul by the cops off Ody Road, and they had dropped fuck loads of it. When they left we had a scrounge around and managed to fill a big shopping bag. 0X

Pataua is another great spot near Whangarei worth checking out.

x tracker x

Postby x tracker x » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:23 pm

shippies (if you have a 4x4 drive around to picker huts or past there, its dope)
everywhere up there that time of year is dope for fishing too if you get into that, stop at the houhora or te hapua wharf and you'll probably slay it

hendos or rarawa is real good as well (if there is waves)

around whangarei your best bet is oceans or pataua, that time of year sandys is filled with scunge and is shit.

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:57 am

Check out this guy with all the jokes

Grave Dancer

Postby Grave Dancer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Kerry wrote:
Grave Dancer wrote:born and lived in Whangarei for most of my yoof, so I used to head up to the Heads and around tutukaka/matapouri ways quite a bit. fun times

Oh cool. Yeah I was born there too. But grew up in Australia and Kerikeri before moving to Tutukaka when I was about 10. Also lived in Tikipunga for a couple of years before moving down here.

Whangarei Heads is rad. Spent a lot of time camping at Ocean Beach. One time there was a massive weed haul by the cops off Ody Road, and they had dropped fuck loads of it. When they left we had a scrounge around and managed to fill a big shopping bag. 0X

aue, yeah I grew up in Tiki as well - went to both the primary and high school there. did the jump off whangarei falls, fuck that was dumb.

my olds are now up in Waipapa, just out of Kerikeri. Grandad is out in Doves Bay.

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Grave Dancer wrote:
Kerry wrote:

aue, yeah I grew up in Tiki as well - went to both the primary and high school there. did the jump off whangarei falls, fuck that was dumb.

my olds are now up in Waipapa, just out of Kerikeri. Grandad is out in Doves Bay.

BuZzY... I lived on Beazley Cres and Belmont Ave in Tiki... Went to Ngunguru Primary and Kamo Intermediate. Moved down here for high school. My step dad did some substitute teaching in wood work at Tiki... Bubenzer's his name... Any chance you had him? Never jumped the falls (fuk dat). Had a few swims there though. I lived out at Waipapa for a bit too... Waipapa West Rd. Lived at a few places in Kerikeri... Butler Rd, Riddell Rd, Edmonds Rd (near Edmond's ruins) and Aroha Island with my grandparents when they were care-taking for the QEII National Trust. Had some great times there.

kettles

Postby kettles » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Fuck I'm going to need longer than a week to see all this shit. Not sure if a 12 seater rental Hiace will cope with 90 Mile Beach, gutted.

jont420

Postby jont420 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:12 pm

you'll be sweet did half of it in a mazda 323 filled with flesh

the croc

Postby the croc » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:49 pm

After having to pull fuckwits off Muriwai Beach almost daily I would advise against it

Return to “Miscellaneous”