"Look how happy he is"

scott penk

Re: 10 years on punkas

Postby scott penk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:51 am

14 years next month.. Getting close to half my life 8O

stu

Postby stu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Peeps shouldn't have scared new kids away by being jerks.

These forums had a lot of potential. NZ music could really use some constructive networking sites/online discussion forums blah blah blah
Its an ugly, ugly life.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:47 am

This is, or was. Plenty of people used it for networking, new friends, forming bands. I think you'll find forums have just gone the way of the dodo. Probably need to make a punkas facebook group.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:26 am

that was tried, what it really needed to be was something like the punkas 2.0 that was proposed, and THAT needed to be basically a punk/ska/alt/HC/goth/metal social network for nz(which is what punkas kinda is/was) i know it sounds silly, as if any other social network has successfully challenged facebook, but i could see it working in a similar way to trademe, people still use ebay and amazon, but the local site has its place, many overseas people would join too of course, as they always have.
but of course thats never gunna happen if nobody has the time or money to do it, i certainly wouldnt know where to start, what im suggesting is basically building a whole website from theground up, and thats not something i have anything but the vaguest idea of how to do, i could probably follow a tutorial and set up an extremely one dimensional page in html, and thats it.
and yeh, probably dropped the ball on that about 5 years ago, momentum lost.
"Look how happy he is"

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:11 pm

it was fun while it lasted

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:11 am

FC wrote:This is, or was. Plenty of people used it for networking, new friends, forming bands. I think you'll find forums have just gone the way of the dodo. Probably need to make a punkas facebook group.

Agree 100%. I think another contributing factor is that much if not most of internet browsing is done by smartphones and apps now. I know i check facebook 20x more on my phone than I do on my laptop..Maybe if there was a punkas app with alerts it might be different but the current layout isnt especially mobile-friendly imo

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 am

There was briefly a PunkAs Facebook group. It seemed to be deleted for cyberbullying after one TOHLG photoshop was posted...

If PunkAs goes down, maybe we could actually make use of this: https://www.reddit.com/r/punkas ! Better than building anything new when there's little demand for it. Although a music-oriented social network would be fairly popular I think. Last.fm was but they keep making sweeping changes and taking away the features which encouraged users to interact with each other.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:01 pm

5 whole users on that sub. Intense as.

Last FM is a weird one, too. I still use it as it is interesting to see how much of a band/album I've been listening to, and occasionally to recommend some new bands. It could have been a lot better though.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

scott penk wrote:
FC wrote:This is, or was. Plenty of people used it for networking, new friends, forming bands. I think you'll find forums have just gone the way of the dodo. Probably need to make a punkas facebook group.

Agree 100%. I think another contributing factor is that much if not most of internet browsing is done by smartphones and apps now. I know i check facebook 20x more on my phone than I do on my laptop..Maybe if there was a punkas app with alerts it might be different but the current layout isnt especially mobile-friendly imo

this is exactly what i mean, simply put it needed to move with the times, but it needed that several years ago.

in hindsight we could have all invested in punkas as a business, but i think we probably missed that boat.

J wrote:personally don't think there is anything that could be changed to attract new users, we carved out most of the userbase before facebook or youtube even existed, and as aidan points out people dont have time for yet another persona on here when they are busy curating their fb one. there is no way to 'compete' for that traffic when peoples lives are woven into it.

i dunno, if punkas was an app on your phone like facebook, i think it would work, especially if it just used your facebook as a base profile, the way tinder does, just d/l the app and use.

but yeh, we all lacked the foresight, the money, the time, the inclination and the sheer fucks.

J wrote:when its all done and dusted you's can hit me up for a copy on a usb stick.

im def keen, but it will wind up being kinda tragic poring thru old threads when you cant post in them and be all like 'lol, remember dis yo'
spose could email some peeps, but its not the same you know?
"Look how happy he is"

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:22 am

Tragic was the first thought that came to mind too. That said even relatively recent shit like that Royce Rees thread is still worth a read. Some good yarns in there and some classic meltdowns. I'll read anything to do with the 80s and 90s NZ scene though. Interesting shit. Slammy's thread, Bolshy's many contributions. Love it.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:32 am

i just went and had a look at an old thread, it had me and my girlfriend at the time posting about inane shit, slammy posting on craigs account, old friends ive since lost contact with, happy times, before my life was turned upside down, dont think i wanna go spelunking in that cavern of sorrow(archived posts) again.
"Look how happy he is"

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:38 pm

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvuM3DjvYf0[/video]
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:59 pm

the hurtful things he says, he doesnt really mean it guys, its just his way of coping
"Look how happy he is"

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:40 pm

:cry:

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:38 pm

i quit for near on a year, which seemed to coincide with the forum getting tumbleweeds
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:16 pm

you cant argue with figures like that, the facts speak for themselves.
"Look how happy he is"

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 pm

scott penk wrote:14 years next month.. Getting close to half my life 8O

That will be half my life in December... starting using punkas when I was 14 in December 2001. I'd say probably a good 6-8 of those years was not very active.

Interesting graphs though, from a quick scan usage seems to be seasonal, peaking in late autumn/winter months (May seems to be most frequent) which makes sense. Just never really picked up again in 2009.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 pm

13th birthday (on this board) a few days ago, crazy shit
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

mike

Postby mike » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:44 pm

I still look at punkas now and then. I probably should do it more myself, but I don't get on the net so much.This site 2 me, has always been, only what people put into it. Much like putting on gigs etc, bands, or even homebrew etc. People just sit around and wait for someone else to do things, if they don't see its popular, much like anything, they give up. I think stu said it, people should not of abused the newbies so much, and scared them off. But theres still gigs that happen, every high has a low. There is still people running around NZ, doing things under the loose banner of Punk. The older I get, the more confused I get , what punk means nowdays though, but at least its moved on from the original meaning, as Ive never related to that myself and no disrespect mean't by that. This will be a interesting question, what was the original term punk, used to describe?? Dirty Harry used it, thats a clue

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:22 am

we all know it meant prison bitch, but it came to describe the snotty nosed attitude that prison gays came out with, and evolved into something else altogether, interestingly, the linguistic origin is the same as 'funk' and meant a strong smell, like rotten fungus.
and in america about in the late 1800's it was a nickname for a redhead.
"Look how happy he is"

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:44 am

i pretty much cut my internet teeth on Punkas. I was so chuffed and excited by it initially that it makes me cringe when i think of all the shit i posted on here initially, keen as mustard, but oh so naive. For the first year i couldn't work out what the fuck DSW stood for, it never occurred to me just to google it, the best i could come up with was: Deliberate Slow Wank. You know, tease yourself into a explosive finale. But gradually i worked out the ways of Punkas and became a negative, cynical and disinterested wanker like all the rest of you cunts on here. As for giving the newcomers too much of a hard time: if they were spineless enough to get all sad and butthurt about a bit of internet ribbing from people they are unlikely to ever even meet then they can fuck off, and stay fucked off.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:10 pm

mark tyler wrote:Deliberate Slow Wank.
:baton:

Much funnier.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:32 pm

I like it, add it to the lexicon
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Return to “Miscellaneous”