Breaking Vegetarianism

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
No Way Out Records

Re: Breaking Vegetarianism

Postby No Way Out Records » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Was/am Vegetarian for the last 24 years. Have fallen from grace of late with eating some fish about once a month. Could never see myself eating chicken or cow, just have zero desire to. I like my vege food and reckon it tastes just right.

BarrenEarth

Postby BarrenEarth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:02 am

Been Happily Vegetarian for 11 years with one brief Hiatus, just to see if I was doing the right thing, My reasons for going vegetarian were really just pushing meat to the side of my plate more and more untill I went vegetarian, I was vegan for a while, and when I broke my veganism it was quite funny cause I was say for instance buying and eating a cheese ploughmans sandwhich, then Hiding the wrapper from meself.

There is a nihilist fad in the crust scene at themoment where people are eating meat again for the same reasons they went vegetarian, because it's cool.

I have also seen some genuine dissonance, my friend adam and I were in london with his band and the two of us were drinking beer and walking down the street and he was rambling about how he wanted to return to veganism or at least vegetarianism, and some where in the middle of this speach he proclaimed "oh, Look what I found!"
And he picked up some macdonalds chicken nuggets of the side of the road and proceeded to eat them, at which point my friend ryan said to me "adam wants to be a vegan, he just likes food too much" and true enuff the skinny little hardcore boy I met is now a fat crusty!

CFH

Postby CFH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:39 am

xSUSPECTx wrote:
CFH wrote:you actually dont know what the fuck your on about

so what?
im cool on the internet

and youre dumb

na

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:44 am

fuck youre shit, please fuck off
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

CFH

Postby CFH » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:03 am

chill out man

ignosam

Postby ignosam » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 am

I'd been vegan for 7 years and vege before that for I dunno but I got seriously unhealthy. A while back I was overweight and my doctor told me my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were through the roof so I was in serious danger of some nasty future consequences. I didn't think it was the veganism obviously and continued this diet. My father ended up getting me this cushy, well paying job as a pheumatic bolt-gun operator, which I'm sure was his attempt to curb my vegan extremism. I resisted at first but needed the cash and fitness (those things are heavy) so I gave in. After a while I came to questioning my vegan diet. It seemed overwhelming, the injustice. Here I was killing thousands of cows and everyone else gets to eat them. I stuck to my guns though (well not literally 'cause I quit that job) and remained vegan, thinking there is no way now that I'll ever eat meat.
It wasn't until I took a bunch of yellow sunshine and MDMA with some friends one evening. I felt older and wiser and a lot of the extremes of youth had relaxed in me. The drugs helped open me up and I could see things clearer. My friends were eating pizza and listening to Tool. I heard in the songs '..All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration....there is no such thing as death and life is but a dream'. Then that song with the sheep baaing and the sounds of gunblasts rhythmically firing away with the lyrics '..this is necessary, life feeds on life feeds on life..'. Everyone said they'd put in $10 if I was to eat 1 cheese extreme and 1 meatlovers and they'd pay for the pizza. I didn't see eating those pizzas to the rapturous applause from my friends as "selling out" per se. I saw it as being finally liberated from my idiotic, privileged, youthful idealism. I mean Darby ate eggs. Henry eats tuna. Pig Champion ate... everything. Can't be that bad. I don't feel as isolated as I did now and family BBQs are actually quite enjoyable. I can't really listen to hardcore vegan bands now without laughing to myself except for Justice Dept 'cause they have cool Dolphin noises amongst the blastbeats and I'm still against the slaughter of Dolphins, Monkeys, Dogs, basically anything that it's easier to anthropomorphise. I'm way healthier now too.

sidenote : The cabanossi on the meatlovers was a bit much but GOD I LOVE CHEESE. I'm contemplating a tattoo of a block of cheese.

cirE

Postby cirE » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:38 am

CFH wrote:
xSUSPECTx wrote:
CFH wrote:you actually dont know what the fuck your on about

so what?
im cool on the internet

and youre dumb

na

:mrgreen:
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:31 am

I've been Veg since Christmas dinner 2002, was going to be a new years resolution...but after a meat filled lunch I guess I decided to push it forward a week. Got into it for the usual ethical reasons, Propagandhi probably being one of the only bands that have really influenced my behaviour. I had a year of eating vegan food in 2007 as our flat ate completely vegan, but have never eaten 100% vegan diet....even though veganism is the only logical end for vegetarian ethics, I love cheese too much.

As I've got older and understood how meaningless everything kind of is, shit lives/dies etc, the ethics of it all get kind of blurry, but for me I think environmentalism has become one of the bigger issues of staying veggie, but the ethics are still there particularly not liking factory style farming of today.

Studying nutrition for me has changed my perspective on it too, it is harder to get a lot of nutrients which are packed into meat + milk in a free and very bio-active way (they make it easier to absorb than a lot of nutrients in veggies - iron,calcium etc) - BUT, generally eating a vegetarian diet I think makes a person more aware of what they eat and so less likely to suffer malnutrition as they eat a wide variety of foods, as opposed to a huge proportion of omnivores who truck through life eating utter shit. Then again there are some nutrients that are harder to get eating a vegetarian and particularly vegan diet, and people end up getting quite reliant on fortified foods (think B12!!!), which isn't necessarily a bad thing...just that it blows the 'natural' argument the fuck out the window.

At the end of the day, I don't see myself 'selling out' any time soon, but I'm not as pro the diet as I once was.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:02 pm

vegan 20 years this year, vegie 3 years before that both my kids vegan too. I just don't consider Animals as food anymore and the smell of meat is disgusting to me now. I come from a big meat eating family though of hunters and meat workers -my sister a vegie, so we keep each other company being the black sheep together.
Lots of my friends over the years are no longer vegie partly I think from society pressure which can whittle away at people over time.

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:05 pm

I think the main reason I am no longer vege/vegan (admittedly I was never a very good vege/vegan, always more freegan) - is because of the practicality of it - ie - if you are having dinner with other people and they don't cook vege, or you happen to be at a random cafe, and the vegetarian option is some crisps, or you could eat like a beef salad sandwich.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Yeah there are restrictions on what you can eat sometimes which is a pain. Things have improved though, hey I could bore ya's with when I went vegie..... you were offered a limp celery and were happy and... :)

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:36 pm

...or the only thing to eat at restaurants was the obligatory middle eastern dish which the staff continuely fucked up by chucking cheese over it all the time....

I'm certainly happy with today's options when dining out.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:51 pm

i almost always eat vege when dining out these days, unless to do so would involve that sort of punishment, i remember ordering vegan burgers and getting egg and cheese, but most places seem to do mean as vegie stuff, most places worth eating at anyway, if they dont have a good vegie option on the menu the probably dont have much else good either.

vegetarianism is really cool even if youre not a follower of it, stuff like chia, quinoa, amaranth and fat hen would be hardly known of anymore without it.

id rather a world with no meat than a world with no falafel.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Lentil wrote:Yeah there are restrictions on what you can eat sometimes which is a pain. Things have improved though, hey I could bore ya's with when I went vegie..... you were offered a limp celery and were happy and... :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

there's nothing like being slapped with limp celery
http://aotearoa666.com/

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 pm

i just like food, my latest thing is cooking with nuts.

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:14 pm

J wrote:cant understand how diet and what you do and dont eat comes up so often in conversation for some people.

People are fucking weird about what other people eat. My girlfriend who works with mostly old people, gets really weird reactions when she says her boyfriend does most of the cooking as if they are really uncomfortable with the prospect...then if the fact that I'm vegetarian comes up apparently they look like their head near explodes.

also love the "oh yeah, we eat mostly vegetarian/don't eat very much meat anymore" comments from people when they find out your veggie. Wasn't judging them in the first place, but am not thinking any better of them now they have made some superficial comment. Possibly more annoying than "gosh I could never live without meat, what do you eat!!??".

/rant

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:57 pm

PertHJ wrote:"gosh I could never live without meat, what do you eat!!??"

"Food" is now my default reply.

This attitude is twice an infuriating when the person lives on a diet that consists mainly on processed everything, and the only time they eat actual food is when it is sourced from the freezer and boiled to within an inch of its life or placed amidst their Subway.

Thankfully my mum has been a pescetarian my whole life, which has softened the blow for my dairy farm raised family.

The whole gender reversal cooking hysteria is confusing. The glorious legacy of Alison Holst must've blinded generations to all of the male celebrity chefs revered globally. Must think you're a bit Hudson and Hall as well. :wink:
Last edited by hiv-positive on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:14 pm

fuck yeh, i get people thinking im a bit queer cos i cook, i actually feel like my hands are tied most of the time, two of my aunties are nutritionists and one is fairly famous, my cousin just released a cookbook(several of the women in my family have) they are all pretty hostile to vegetarianism, despite my aunty being behind that 5+aday thing

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:17 pm

PertHJ wrote:gets really weird reactions when she says her boyfriend does most of the cooking as if they are really uncomfortable with the prospect

yeah i get this all the time too when it comes up, i do nearly all the cooking at home, well all if you don't count boiling noodles or making toast as cooking. and not just from oldies either. i enjoy cooking and am good at it, the missus doesn't. she does all the dishes though, well when i say all i mean some of them sometimes and i work around the rest :wink:
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

i cook without making dishes

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:25 pm

isn't that called "going to the chip shop" in most circles??
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 pm

nope, i just cook all in one pot and then eat out of it :P

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm

ignosam wrote:I'd been vegan for 7 years and vege before that for I dunno but I got seriously unhealthy. A while back I was overweight and my doctor told me my blood pressure and cholesterol levels were through the roof so I was in serious danger of some nasty future consequences. I didn't think it was the veganism obviously and continued this diet. My father ended up getting me this cushy, well paying job as a pheumatic bolt-gun operator, which I'm sure was his attempt to curb my vegan extremism. I resisted at first but needed the cash and fitness (those things are heavy) so I gave in. After a while I came to questioning my vegan diet. It seemed overwhelming, the injustice. Here I was killing thousands of cows and everyone else gets to eat them. I stuck to my guns though (well not literally 'cause I quit that job) and remained vegan, thinking there is no way now that I'll ever eat meat.
It wasn't until I took a bunch of yellow sunshine and MDMA with some friends one evening. I felt older and wiser and a lot of the extremes of youth had relaxed in me. The drugs helped open me up and I could see things clearer. My friends were eating pizza and listening to Tool. I heard in the songs '..All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration....there is no such thing as death and life is but a dream'. Then that song with the sheep baaing and the sounds of gunblasts rhythmically firing away with the lyrics '..this is necessary, life feeds on life feeds on life..'. Everyone said they'd put in $10 if I was to eat 1 cheese extreme and 1 meatlovers and they'd pay for the pizza. I didn't see eating those pizzas to the rapturous applause from my friends as "selling out" per se. I saw it as being finally liberated from my idiotic, privileged, youthful idealism. I mean Darby ate eggs. Henry eats tuna. Pig Champion ate... everything. Can't be that bad. I don't feel as isolated as I did now and family BBQs are actually quite enjoyable. I can't really listen to hardcore vegan bands now without laughing to myself except for Justice Dept 'cause they have cool Dolphin noises amongst the blastbeats and I'm still against the slaughter of Dolphins, Monkeys, Dogs, basically anything that it's easier to anthropomorphise. I'm way healthier now too.

sidenote : The cabanossi on the meatlovers was a bit much but GOD I LOVE CHEESE. I'm contemplating a tattoo of a block of cheese.

:lol: :lol:

Devon

Postby Devon » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:02 pm

I sold out on veganism last year to eat real Japanese food and I don't regret it at all. Still not really a fan of beef, but one day I will waste some wagyu just to see what it's like.
I was way more unhealthy being vegan, especially eating all that shitty chinese fake meat. That shit is poison.
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

yipeeyiyo

Postby yipeeyiyo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:10 pm

xSUSPECTx wrote:fuck yeh, i get people thinking im a bit queer cos i cook, i actually feel like my hands are tied most of the time, two of my aunties are nutritionists and one is fairly famous, my cousin just released a cookbook(several of the women in my family have) they are all pretty hostile to vegetarianism, despite my aunty being behind that 5+aday thing

is this the nutritinist who sold out and went in the womans mags saying that aspartme in diet coke is ok?

disclaimer- i dont want to get in debate about what selling out is.. but this definatly comes into my paramaters of it

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:28 pm

haha as much as I'm not a fan of aspartame, that a bit of an ignorant statement...

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:35 pm

wtf... why would you make such a weird assumption yipee?

but i dont know actually, what was her name?

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm

she's your Auntie dummy

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:33 pm

swish

Return to “Miscellaneous”