yossarian

Re: 2030: 500,000 square km to power the world with solar panels

Postby yossarian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:11 pm

You can have your cake and eat it.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:13 pm

bullshit, only a stupid hippy with dreadlocks hanging in his ass so far in his ass they have shit on them would think that is true.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Spots2012

Postby Spots2012 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Think about the resources required to make these.

But probably worth it.

Better get cracking now.

CFH

Postby CFH » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:02 pm

Suspect wrote:bullshit, only a stupid hippy with dreadlocks hanging in his ass so far in his ass they have shit on them would think that is true.

what do you know your a bum

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:04 pm

also im a solar engineer, i was trying to be sarcastic, since usually when stuff like this comes up its... usually met by ignorant 70's style responses like what you quoted.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

CFH

Postby CFH » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:10 pm

sorry for a bit it did seem consistent with my picture of your internet persona.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:16 pm

maybe dont read too much into what people say about me(or what i say when im wasted) tho i havent worked in solar cept for wee favours for over two years, but its still a cause i often champion, if you actually read the shit i talk about on here... but im sure guys like ghetto ninja can paint a more vivid picture of me than my boring life will ever create in your mind.

CFH

Postby CFH » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:28 pm

thats cool not looking for a relationship right now though

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:32 pm

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:45 pm

Suspect wrote: but im sure guys like ghetto ninja can paint a more vivid picture of me than my boring life will ever create in your mind.

Im totally out to get you.
:drinking: :silly:
Last edited by ghetto ninja on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 pm

It might seem really simple, oh yeah lets just make all these solar panels and then its goodbye worries forever!
No.

Wikipedia:
Polycrystalline silicon is also a key component of solar panel construction. Growth of the photovoltaic solar industry is limited by the supply of the polysilicon material. For the first time in 2006, over half of the world's supply of polysilicon is being used for production of renewable electricity solar power panels. Only twelve factories are known to produce of solar grade polysilicon in 2008. Monocrystalline silicon is slightly higher priced and slightly more efficient than multicrystalline.

See also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic_module

slob

Postby slob » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:29 am

except there's more than one way of creating solar electricity...

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:10 am

yeh thats old, heres an article from 2004 you luddite, http://www.physorg.com/news2339.html

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:10 pm

slob wrote:except there's more than one way of creating solar electricity...

Quite possibly true. Except for the fact that the first post was referring to solar panels. Which is what I was responding to. The image didnt say "land mass required to power the world by solar electricity, but excluding solar panels".

“In our paper, we show that we’ve been able to convert solar energy into electricity with 2.7 percent efficiency. Since then, we’ve been able to demonstrate power conversion efficiencies of 3.4 percent and believe that we should reach 5 percent in the near future.”

oh sweet. Dont worry guys, everythings fine now.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 pm

J wrote:^-- its just a thought experiment.

I know.

I just couldnt cope with everyone getting too excited over it. While its awesome to get people thinking about things like this, people also have to realise its just not as simple as it looks.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:21 pm

What, you mean making 500,000 square km of solar panels isnt real easy? I actually didnt realise that, thankyou for pointing it out for us.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:27 pm

Needs some of this:

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:32 pm

Is that the Microwave one? Yeah those are the shit.

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:23 pm

FC wrote:What, you mean making 500,000 square km of solar panels isnt real easy? I actually didnt realise that, thankyou for pointing it out for us.

Aidan

You're welcome.

serbian war dog

Postby serbian war dog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:33 pm

Seems like a pretty good idea to me considering that the other forms of energy creation currently in use are a bit destructive to the environment and shit (e.g. coal and nuclear power).

I actually thought of an idea whereby Dams were created using ocean tides and the Roman concept that water rises to its own level. If you created a lake near the coast using ocean water then dropped the amassed water through a man made waterfall past turbines creating hydro power this would create steam which would drive the turbines. Two by-products would be fresh water and salt. This basically would solve man-kinds problems in terms of sustainable energy and lack of impact on the environment (also fresh water plus heaps of cheap as salt for chips and stuff).

Unfortunately this concept is confined to a beer mat that I wrote the idea on and I haven't discussed it with any engineers that can verify the practicality of the idea - still I think it is an idea worth pursuing.
Ich hasse Leute

kimura

Postby kimura » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:31 am

Would it be practical as one epic storm could probably ruin that shit (maybe wrong here)

Also I doubt it would get support from most wealthy countries as it looks too empowering to Latin America etc.

Otherwise this is cool.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:40 am

kimura wrote:Would it be practical as one epic storm could probably ruin that shit (maybe wrong here).

definitely

cirE

Postby cirE » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:50 am

bridge. wrote:

Needs some of this:

fuckyeah awesome post and agree
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:18 pm

serbian war dog wrote:Seems like a pretty good idea to me considering that the other forms of energy creation currently in use are a bit destructive to the environment and shit (e.g. coal and nuclear power).

I actually thought of an idea whereby Dams were created using ocean tides and the Roman concept that water rises to its own level. If you created a lake near the coast using ocean water then dropped the amassed water through a man made waterfall past turbines creating hydro power this would create steam which would drive the turbines. Two by-products would be fresh water and salt. This basically would solve man-kinds problems in terms of sustainable energy and lack of impact on the environment (also fresh water plus heaps of cheap as salt for chips and stuff).

Unfortunately this concept is confined to a beer mat that I wrote the idea on and I haven't discussed it with any engineers that can verify the practicality of the idea - still I think it is an idea worth pursuing.

um, what?

slow down and try again.
I think it's lint.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:55 pm

red_switch, fuck off, hes light years more valuable to humanity than you are.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:53 am

Suspect wrote:red_switch, fuck off, hes light years more valuable to humanity than you are.

Phil, jump off a cliff.

His idea is interesting, just doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now based on that post, would be interesting to see him elaborate.

The funny thing is, Phil, that you have no idea what it is I do, or why I am doing it. Incidentally, it happens to be fairly relevant in the context of this discussion, which is why I am interested in what he has to say.

But ah fuck off.
I think it's lint.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:24 pm

yeh well all you ever do is trot out shit you learnt somewhere as if that somehow commends you, you are not the sort of person who actually thinks up ideas, which was why i said fuck off when you made a discouraging comment to someone who does.

you were not asking him to elaborate, you were attempting to belittle, very clever to claim you were tho, almost a grain of original thinking even :fist:

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:35 pm

sorry if my comment came across that way Phil, I can see it may have been some what tact-less, but whatever. I was just probing for more information.

As for me never having my own ideas.... well, I guess that's just not the sort of shit I discuss around these parts.

I actually found your own response to be rather belittling.

Anyway, how are you today? Manage to get hold of a DOC volunteer book yet?
I think it's lint.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:15 pm

currently thinking of wwoofing instead, both wont be happening til after new years so im in no rush, putting more effort into bikes than anything else atm.

Return to “Miscellaneous”