Should I move to NZ?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
Two Cakes

Should I move to NZ?

Postby Two Cakes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:19 am

Hello
I'm a Brit who's thinking about coming to live and work in NZ, but I can't decide. I know about all of the "outdoors" stuff to do - walking and climbing and junk - but I am not really a "running about in the sun" type of a guy. I'm more of a "loud band in a dark nightclub" sort. What is there for me in NZ, particularly in Auckland? What's the NZ/Auckland punk scene like? What about theatre and events and stuff? I live near Leeds in the UK, which has all sorts of venues and bands. Would I be bored out of my mind if I don't want to go dangling off mountains?
I'd really appreciate any help.
Cheers
TC

rex

Re: Should I move to NZ?

Postby rex » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:22 am

yeah you'd probably get bored real fast...just being honest

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:33 am

youd probably enjoy NZ for a year or two, the main cities, theres a decent nightlife in auckland and wellington, but the rest is a bit of a write-off if youre not into the mountains, everyone in NZ pretty much spends 95% of their time in the mountains doing mountain stuff.
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:36 am

Agree with Rex, I have no idea what Leeds is like but I'd give NZ three months tops unless you have a high boredom threshold.

This post was not brought to you by the NZ tourism department.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

your fucking funeral

Postby your fucking funeral » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:43 am

id say otherwise, if you come to purangi theres plenty to do aye rexy
chelovek cheloveky volk

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:50 am

new zealand doesnt even have cities, just interconnected warrens of mountain caves, so if you have a fear of heights or a dislike of mountain dangling, you wouldnt enjoy it that much.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Danny Morrissey
"elmo fag"

Postby Danny Morrissey » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:58 am

Generally bands to see most thurs, fri, sat, although since the pool of bands will probably be smaller you might see the same ones over. Theatre etc is alright.. in general there's something in Auckland to do most nights if you can afford it.

NZ is good for a combo of mountain/indoor shit, don't know how well it stands alone on just city shit.

Auckland does have lulls in the action, most of us get around this by getting fucking stoned then hanging out in the mountains.

Rob Anybody

Postby Rob Anybody » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:02 am

Danny Morrissey wrote:Auckland does have lulls in the action, most of us get around this by getting fucking stoned then dangling out in the mountains.

fixt
snuff wrote:I hate the whole 'atheist' tag eh, It's not like we have a special name for people who don't believe in Santa, they're just adults.

Huey wrote:Trust me, I am ahead of the curve, you just don't realize it.

"I'm not sure about this one ... I think it's about coming of age, I cant remember much about because when it happened to me it was a long time ago. You could buy a packet of fags, a pint of beer and a three piece suit for half a crown and still have enough left to go and see Rudolf Valentino at the Gaumont! I can't afford to go to the pictures these days but I hear they talk in them now."

cheese

Postby cheese » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:11 am

Try Melborne instead TC
Back 2 Life wrote:cheese is better

Grave Dancer

Postby Grave Dancer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:51 am

yeah, i hear melborne has a distinct lack of mountains to dangle off

Ice-P

Postby Ice-P » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:56 am

Auckland is a fair bit larger than Leeds (population wise: well over 1m) so there is a decent number of bands to go and see out there. On any given weekend, you can usually find at least one decent show. There's an ethnically-mixed population with a lot of Polynesian and Asian communities. Good curry is widely available. The weather in winter will remind you of home. It's great in summer though, like one of those places you English like to go on holidays. Perfect for chilling out in the mountains or rappelling down the cliffs to the beach. It's easy to get to the South Island (yeah there is a North Island too, brilliant names eh?) which has the fantastic Southern Alps (we really go all out with those names). There aren't so many massively tall mountains in Auckland, but there is a volcanic cone in pretty much every neighborhood. Getting stoned on top of those is a popular pastime. If you really like flat, go to Christchurch.
cirE wrote:too many weak cunts getting all worked up over some text and pixels on the god damn internet

rex

Postby rex » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:56 am

your fucking funeral wrote:id say otherwise, if you come to purangi theres plenty to do aye rexy

haha thats if youre a person that makes things happen for yourself i guess.

Fearful_Jesuit

Postby Fearful_Jesuit » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Don't listen to the naysayers. Auckland is oarsum. Unless you're too trendy for anything but the latest thing, in which case we don't want you either.

A lot of people doing the working holiday thing are finding it harder to get jobs at the moment due to the economic situation, but its not as dire here yet.

You will probably appreciate the change of pace. Many of the brits I've known to come over, don't want to go back.

If you're nice, Punkas will look after you too.
The parasites are excited when you're dead; eyes bulging, entering your head; and all your thoughts yeah, they rot.

xTOMHOGANx

Postby xTOMHOGANx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:56 pm

The mountains in Auckland aren't all that big or impressive,minimum dangling opportunities,Mt Dero in purangi is pretty good,ufo's and shit up there I hear.

And apparently Auckland is full of "Metalcore Spritecore fucks" so if you have any idea what that means you might wana steer clear or move here immediately...I'm not really sure.

Ice-P

Postby Ice-P » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:11 pm

By the way, this is how you get on the Internet in the mountains in New Zealand:

Hope this helps!
cirE wrote:too many weak cunts getting all worked up over some text and pixels on the god damn internet

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:23 pm

Ice-P wrote:Auckland is a fair bit larger than Leeds (population wise: well over 1m) so there is a decent number of bands to go and see out there.

Thing is Ice, Leeds is a University town so heaps more bands per capita than auckland I'd say. when i was there there was HEAPS of heaps good bands playing and lots of towns not too far away with other Heaps good bands and heaps good venues. in short Leeds is heaps meaner than Auckland.

CFH

Postby CFH » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:34 pm

who cares gigs are so gay and boring anyway. much rather dangle about in the mountains anyday. not that I have a choice, living in NZ.

Ben Fats
Party Girl

Postby Ben Fats » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:15 pm

CHAINSMOKERS

Ice-P

Postby Ice-P » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:15 pm

Agnes wrote:
Ice-P wrote:Auckland is a fair bit larger than Leeds (population wise: well over 1m) so there is a decent number of bands to go and see out there.

Thing is Ice, Leeds is a University town so heaps more bands per capita than auckland I'd say. when i was there there was HEAPS of heaps good bands playing and lots of towns not too far away with other Heaps good bands and heaps good venues. in short Leeds is heaps meaner than Auckland.

They have Gang of Four, we have mountains.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Ice-P wrote:The weather in winter will remind you of spring/autumn at home.

Fixed. In latitude terms, Auckland is on par with the south coast of Spain. No more sunset at 3:30pm. Paradise, at least in theory.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Don Lope de Aguirre

Postby Don Lope de Aguirre » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:59 pm

Ice-P wrote:Good curry is widely available.

Another thing you need to know: when people in New Zealand talk about curry, they're not actually referring to the spicy Indian dish. So don't be surprised if a coupla homeys come up to you saying "wanna score some curry cuz?"

cirE

Postby cirE » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Two Cakes wrote:Hello
I'm a Brit who's thinking about coming to live and work in NZ, but I can't decide. I know about all of the "outdoors" stuff to do - walking and climbing and junk - but I am not really a "running about in the sun" type of a guy. I'm more of a "loud band in a dark nightclub" sort. What is there for me in NZ, particularly in Auckland? What's the NZ/Auckland punk scene like? What about theatre and events and stuff? I live near Leeds in the UK, which has all sorts of venues and bands. Would I be bored out of my mind if I don't want to go dangling off mountains?
I'd really appreciate any help.
Cheers
TC

shops close at around 5pm
maybe half a dozen shows fri/sat (that i would go to anyway), sometimes dece shows on thurs but i don't give a fuck about em usually unless big international

depends on how wide your taste/appreciation of diff shit is? and what you're expecting... i mean, i don't know fuckall about leeds, but if you're used to kickass skapunk shows 7 nights a week or something, i can tell you that don't happen here, but if your taste is diverse, there'll be shit worth checking out every weekend, with maybe a show with your favorite subgenre lineup every month or two
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:45 pm

Should probably be aware that the minimum wage here is $12.50/hr, which is like £4/hr?

Should probably bring as many £s as you can and make sure you've got an open return ticket, because unless you have sweet qualifications or a parasitic entrepreneurial spirit, you'll most likely be comparatively skint.

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:03 pm

couldn't find any gigs this weekend so me and a few mates shot over to the mountains to dangle around and shit.
took a photo:

ImageImageImage

BigNanaJez

Postby BigNanaJez » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Auckland is poos, have you considered Australia? I'm sure someone else has made that suggestion by now. There is stuff to do here, but scenes and venues typically come and go.. NZ is currently in a lull after years of disestablishing the university events system

Two Cakes

Postby Two Cakes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:37 am

Cheers for all the tips, people.
I don't know. I'm used to big cities and stuff, and I'm not especially bothered about beaches and mountains. I suppose really my question is: if I don't go to the beach/mountains is there stuff to do?
Oh yes, and I don't really fancy Australia because it seems a bit... Australian...

JohnnyCakes

Postby JohnnyCakes » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:46 am

Yeah with you on that.

Don't go getting big heads you bastards, but there's somethin a bit special about NZ and NZers, even if theres no money and the weather can be shit.

Lived half of the last twenty years out of NZ, and I still can't bring myself to leave the place for good,no matter that opportunities for me are WAY better overseas.
JohnnyCakes wrote:Dolf is such an awesome power.

Brigid Nielsen, Gary Busey and Don Swayze probably stop by every Sunday for a Jacuzzi and Impromptu Scientific Forum.

*rapt dream-like gaze*

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:30 am

Two Cakes wrote:Cheers for all the tips, people.
I don't know. I'm used to big cities and stuff, and I'm not especially bothered about beaches and mountains. I suppose really my question is: if I don't go to the beach/mountains is there stuff to do?
Oh yes, and I don't really fancy Australia because it seems a bit... Australian...

There was a young English couple with a 1-year visa in Christchurch. They seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves, even though Christchurch was up to fuck all for a portion of that. I think they just spent a lot of time at the pub. But they dreaded having to go back.

The thing about there being not-that-much to do, is that when things do happen, they're extra exciting. And in the mean time, you make some sweet friends and get real drunk and have a good time regardless.

Guess it depends on how much effort you're willing to put in.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:53 pm

There is also the advantage that (if its your bag) the punk shows in NZ, even Auckland, are much more 'underground' than many internationally - smaller crowds, house shows - dodgy venues that only last 2 gigs. Etc.

Like anywhere tis all what ya make of it anyway, if ya end up making some good friends down here I'm sure you'll enjoy it. *shrug*

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 pm

+ you are only subject to 2% tax for an legitimate income 8)

Return to “Miscellaneous”