Revenge of What book are you reading at the moment?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
hiv-positive

Re: Revenge of What book are you reading at the moment?

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:
hiv-positive wrote:
Philfy Vermin wrote:it stabs game of thrones in its weak ass unrealistic guts

Well, I must say that the depictions of dragons, magic, psychic animal control, and ice zombies certainly infuriated my sense of reality when I read those particular fantasy novels.

:baton:

Currently reading a collection of the first lot of Conan stories - he's such a sick cunt.

haha i was just tryna lay some bait, i only got a wee bit into the first one, i might start reading it again, see what all the fuss is about.

It is what it is, I guess - fantasy with what I assume to be slightly better than usual political carry on and a few twists here and there. It all cruises along nicely until the fourth book, which is pretty fucking shit , and then the fifth does a good job of bringing it all back to something resembling decency. I dunno, I don't actually read fantasy at all, so I really have nothing to compare it with.

3.5 Dragonlances out of 5, overall.

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:00 pm

The third one's the best, cuz Jaime fucking Lannister. About twenty pages into the fourth is where I ragequit in disgust, literally throwing the crappy piece of shit across the room.
"Personally, monsieur," said Poirot, "I don't give le fuck."

Shoot first, think never!

Philfy Vermin
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Postby Philfy Vermin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:17 pm

hiv-positive wrote:
hiv-positive wrote:
hiv-positive wrote:
Well, I must say that the depictions of dragons, magic, psychic animal control, and ice zombies certainly infuriated my sense of reality when I read those particular fantasy novels.

:baton:

Currently reading a collection of the first lot of Conan stories - he's such a sick cunt.

haha i was just tryna lay some bait, i only got a wee bit into the first one, i might start reading it again, see what all the fuss is about.

It is what it is, I guess - fantasy with what I assume to be slightly better than usual political carry on and a few twists here and there. It all cruises along nicely until the fourth book, which is pretty fucking shit , and then the fifth does a good job of bringing it all back to something resembling decency. I dunno, I don't actually read fantasy at all, so I really have nothing to compare it with.

3.5 Dragonlances out of 5, overall.

i have read a massive amounts, managing to wring enjoyment from most, but pretty much every series that has been a phenomenon has been hugely disappointing, aside from shit i grew up with like pratchett, howard, tolkien, dahl etc.

i even liked spellsinger :explainittomelikeimfive:
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm

I don't really count Pratchett because, well, he's Pratchett and it would be a bit shameful to link him with that genre given he's miles above it, really. Totally forgot that I churned through a bunch of those Assassin and Fool novels a few years back that my old flatmate had. Suppose you'd call those a phenomenon, they were definitely shit enough.

BigBadBazza

Postby BigBadBazza » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:23 pm

Up to book 3 in Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. Going well. Nothing compares to the start of the Dark Tower series, though.

and trying to vibe some Murakami so that my wife stops telling me that it's better than what I'm reading all the time. Dealt to Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World pretty quickly and liked it, trying to do the same with Kafka on the Shore but I'm just to into my fantasy at the moment. Oh well, time will tell.
Salvador Dali wrote:Everyone should eat hashish, but only once.

LePestilence

Postby LePestilence » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:37 pm

I'm getting into 'Life after Death' by Damien Echols:

It's the whole, WM3 palava from his eyes - Arkansas cops are fucked!

The End
Image + Image= Image

After assessing all the damage first hand & entailing & juggling all possible vectors curves & outputs I'll have to declare you can all still go & get fucked!

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:53 pm

hiv-positive wrote:I don't really count Pratchett because, well, he's Pratchett and it would be a bit shameful to link him with that genre given he's miles above it, really. Totally forgot that I churned through a bunch of those Assassin and Fool novels a few years back that my old flatmate had. Suppose you'd call those a phenomenon, they were definitely shit enough.

after reading tom sharpe, pratchett does not seem so great, but he remains one of my favourite authors, ahead of sharpe too, his later stuff is all his own(even the stuff he co-authored :P )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sharpe

fuck, he died last month :(

also, there is a lot of other fantasy that pratchett could not have existed without, a genre which he is fully immersed in and even synonymous with.
theres more to what is pretty much the biggest literary genre than harry potter and game of thrones.
Last edited by Philfy Vermin on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

Max

Postby Max » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:56 pm

Is he the one who wrote about the influence of pumpernickel on 16th century Westphalian politics?

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 pm

i do not know, i havnt very read much of his stuff, but grantchester grind may be the funniest thing i have ever churned thru.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porterhous ... se_College

can totally recognise unseen university

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:
hiv-positive wrote:I don't really count Pratchett because, well, he's Pratchett and it would be a bit shameful to link him with that genre given he's miles above it, really. Totally forgot that I churned through a bunch of those Assassin and Fool novels a few years back that my old flatmate had. Suppose you'd call those a phenomenon, they were definitely shit enough.

after reading tom sharpe, pratchett does not seem so great, but he remains one of my favourite authors, ahead of sharpe too, his later stuff is all his own(even the stuff he co-authored :P )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Sharpe

fuck, he died last month :(

also, there is a lot of other fantasy that pratchett could not have existed without, a genre which he is fully immersed in and even synonymous with.
theres more to what is pretty much the biggest literary genre than harry potter and game of thrones.

Funny you mentioned Tom Sharpe, I saw one of the Wilt books in an op shop the other day and thought about how I started reading his books at a more than impressionable age based solely on the cartoon covers. In a similar fashion, those Josh Kirby covers got me onto old mate Terry. Definitely with you on him having an influence on Pratchett. Vintage Stuff was my favourite from memory.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:01 pm

haha yeh, pity josh kirbys awesome art couldnt help tom holts writing

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:17 pm

also:

He "believes he owes a debt to the science fiction/fantasy genre which he grew up out of" and dislikes the term "magical realism" which is "like a polite way of saying you write fantasy and is more acceptable to certain people ... who, on the whole, do not care that much."[105] He is annoyed that fantasy is "unregarded as a literary form" because it "is the oldest form of fiction"[100] and he is "infuriated" when novels containing science fiction or fantasy ideas are not regarded as part of those genre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Pratchett

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:11 am

I love Pratchett, and yeah, he writes about fantastical things, totally referential to the genre, but I reckon lumping him in with the 'fantasy' genre is a bit simplistic. He's satirical and comedic more than fantastic. Gods, what a cruel world, I love finding out that things I read in Pratchett are a thing, like the earthquake machine at Te Papa, I shit ma daks. Such an immense brain, filled with refs, I can relate to that. Fuck alzheimer's! Fuck it hard in the bum bum :cry:

(Also, he called me a goth, arrgh, adorable.)

yellowbus

Postby yellowbus » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:17 am

BigBadBazza wrote:Up to book 3 in Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. Going well. Nothing compares to the start of the Dark Tower series, though.

and trying to vibe some Murakami so that my wife stops telling me that it's better than what I'm reading all the time. Dealt to Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World pretty quickly and liked it, trying to do the same with Kafka on the Shore but I'm just to into my fantasy at the moment. Oh well, time will tell.

The first 3 books are definitely the best, 4 onwards can get a little tedious.

Read Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley over the weekend and finished Ham on Rye yesterday evening. Going to get started on Ender's Game shortly.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:52 am

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:I love Pratchett, and yeah, he writes about fantastical things, totally referential to the genre, but I reckon lumping him in with the 'fantasy' genre is a bit simplistic. He's satirical and comedic more than fantastic. Gods, what a cruel world, I love finding out that things I read in Pratchett are a thing, like the earthquake machine at Te Papa, I shit ma daks. Such an immense brain, filled with refs, I can relate to that. Fuck alzheimer's! Fuck it hard in the bum bum :cry:

(Also, he called me a goth, arrgh, adorable.)

satire and comedy might be stand alone genres, but they do not exclude fantasy, i actually find it quite perplexing that people have such a low opinion of fantasy in general, i guess they dont realise that nearly all of the non-fiction they read actually falls under the genre, it doesnt have to have dragons and wizards to be fantasy.

he isnt lumped in with fantasy, he is a fantasy writer, and a very bloody good one, i think he would be quite upset by people saying hes not, or he is only technically...

this is like the sci-fi vs fantasy argument, to quote terry pratchett 'infuriating'

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:58 am

I don't like 'fantasy', but I love the Pratch. Maybe 'fantasy+'. More keen on the sci fi side of shit, but even then, meh. Only really like old school stuff, Herbert, Dick (*giggles* saying I love Dick never gets old), that kinda shiz. But yeah, I fucking hate reading, my brain's so full of shit I don't need any more crap floating about in there, I'm trying to write but I don't know what's mine and what I've stolen from all the crap I've read over the years.

Also, I did a course on sci fi/fantasy writing, some of the shit classed as this is stuff you wouldn't even think of, when you get down to it, most fiction is fantasy.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:12 pm

precisely, sci-fi is a sub-genre of fantasy, no matter how many dumb nerds deny it, its just that its such a big one it can almost stand alone, and of course cos so many people think 'fantasy' only refers to the sword and sorcery sub-genre, this is cos they are insufferable fuckwits and deserve slow and lingering agony filled death.

also pratchett called you a goth? did you meet him at a book signing or something?

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Yeah, dumb nerds! And yup, in Porirua Library of all places, fuck he was cool. Can't say his Rs. Did a funny as talk, was amazing.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:27 pm

im gunna be so disappointed when he dies and/or loses his mind completely..

back when he started there were a bunch of writers who wrote in a similar way, but they all seemed to fade out, and certainly lacked some of the deeper shit which he developed, i have to say, if strata or dark side of the sun were the only books id read by him i would think he was fuckin shit.

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:im gunna be so disappointed when he dies and/or loses his mind completely..

back when he started there were a bunch of writers who wrote in a similar way, but they all seemed to fade out, and certainly lacked some of the deeper shit which he developed, i have to say, if strata or dark side of the sun were the only books id read by him i would think he was fuckin shit.

ALL THIS!! I love him. I love how he's honed his art, even the first few Discworld novs are a bit shit, but fuck, I get terrible feels off all the recent ones. Think Night Watch is my favourite. Total fluke I even read him in the first place (Carpe Jugulum was my first, then I totally caned his back catalogue hard), but yeah, I don't want him to die, ever :cry:

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:08 pm

first i read was 'reaper man' shit was brilliant, been a dedicated fan ever since, i own about 10 of his books, but thers still a few i havnt even read.

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:23 am

I think Pratchett ended up being one of the only reasons I would actually bother to go to the library for a while there. Recently, all these $5-10 books shops turned up in Melbourne - 99.9% of the books would be worth more as pulp, such is their level of terrible - but this one particular smaller chain manages to get in some amazing stuff - which is how I managed to score pretty much all his books in the classic paperback for $5 each. It's actually at the point where I need to sit down and work out which ones I don't have after accidentally buying the same ones a couple of times. Quite liking the Tiffany and Moist books, it's great he managed to get out a couple more decent as characters when most writers would be running out of ideas. Can't say I enjoyed Unseen Academicals though. It just didn't seem to cut it.

Fuck it sucks that he's going to lose his mind, I really, really hope he gets to go through with killing himself when it all gets too much, as per the doco he did where he went off to check out assisted suicide clinics.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:51 am

yeh unseen academicals was a bit shit, was that one aimed at kids?

man, all the ones ive bought cost $20-$30 each but mostly hardcovers so all g i guess.

i wish he would write some heavier books actually, his insight into socio-political mental illness could change thinking dramatically.

DONT FUCKIN DIE TERRY YOUR WORK IS NOT DONE

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:23 am

Yeah, if sheer fanboy want could keep someone alive, dude would be immortal. I got some meeeeean first editions, Soul Music would probs be my most treasured, fucking love DEATH and Susan. I quite liked Unseen Academicals! And I fucking hate sport.

The ones he's doing with that Stephen Baxter have been quite... Well, proper sci fi. I liked the concept, but they didn't feel like him, you know? The humour was there, but not so blatantly. Which is weird when you look at Good Omens, which to me just seemed like another Pratch, couldn't really see Gaiman's influence much at all, aside from how he likes writing about gods and shit.

Oh well, new Discworld soon, can't wait. Do like Moist and Adora Belle (she's fucking badass).

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:33 am

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Yeah, if sheer fanboy want could keep someone alive

Maybe the equation needs a fangirl to have his baby, it's working for Bobby Liebling!
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:15 am

Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Yeah, if sheer fanboy want could keep someone alive, dude would be immortal. I got some meeeeean first editions, Soul Music would probs be my most treasured, fucking love DEATH and Susan. I quite liked Unseen Academicals! And I fucking hate sport.

The ones he's doing with that Stephen Baxter have been quite... Well, proper sci fi. I liked the concept, but they didn't feel like him, you know? The humour was there, but not so blatantly. Which is weird when you look at Good Omens, which to me just seemed like another Pratch, couldn't really see Gaiman's influence much at all, aside from how he likes writing about gods and shit.

Oh well, new Discworld soon, can't wait. Do like Moist and Adora Belle (she's fucking badass).

yeh, it seems like gaiman was more responsible for the bare bones of the story while pratchett did all the actual writing.
its easily one of the best books ever, not just of the respective authors, but of all time.

gaimans own fantasy books do have a lot in common with the overall theme of good omens, gods/demons etc set in modern times, intrigue, diabolical(literally) plots, satanic nuns... but the humour is all pratchett.

some of his books would make great movies too, but it needs a harry potter level budget, if you havnt seen the movie of hogfather(one of his weaker, yet darker and convoluted novels) i would advise that you dont, its fuckin awful.
which, i suppose is a good reason to hope its never attempted, i dont need to see tom hanks in the role of rincewind, or worse, tom cuise as moist...

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:22 am

Fuck up, I love Hogfather! Miniseries was... Okay, I guess. Take it you haven't seen this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219817/

Now this one, I really liked. Chemistry between the leads was palpable, defo the best out of the three made so far. I liked the cartoon versions of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music too, Christopher Lee, best DEATH ev0r.

Holy fuck, time for a re-watch, Charles Dance as Vetinari?!! Vetinari is like, my most fuckable fictional character *EVS*

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:24 am

who here has acutally read any grisham or reacher
Kramer Murphy and Associates

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:28 am

Yeah, nah, I only like good books.

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:31 am

yeah ok

u should start wif Da Firm

its good
Kramer Murphy and Associates

Return to “Miscellaneous”