Abandoned buildings in New Zealand?

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
Marms

Abandoned buildings in New Zealand?

Postby Marms » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:30 pm

i know there are a few around, is there any kind of list of abandoned places anywhere or anyone care to tell me of some places of interest?

all i know of is the one john showed me in Putaruru, an abandoned Salvation Army orphanage
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/ ... 8373-2.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l137/ ... 05copy.jpg

Matt
Site Admin

Re: Abandoned buildings in New Zealand?

Postby Matt » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Lake Alice Mental Hospital between Wanganui and Bulls is pretty sweet. Snuff has some awesome photos of the place.

sneakers o'toole

Postby sneakers o'toole » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:46 pm

second photo is choice...

martyrdamn

Postby martyrdamn » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:05 pm

I don't have photos but in Christchurch there is the old women's hospital on Colombo Street, the Odeon Theater on Tuam Street, stockyards on Deans Ave (covered in graffiti by now) and lots of big old brick buildings around Addington and the rail yards.

Sunnyside Mental Hospital is partly abandonded, I think they use some of the buildings. Place is creepy as shit at night.

cirE

Postby cirE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:09 pm

what's that abandoned mental hospital again? where goths like to hang out
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

dimery

Postby dimery » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Tokanui/Taukanui near Hamilton? Ask John Strange or somebody at the Palace next time you're in Hams.. some old mental institution?

Mr Awkward

Postby Mr Awkward » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:44 pm

There use to be an abandoned train yard in the hutt. Out in woburn industrial area. I dont know if its still abandoned. But if you climb onto the warehouse roofs, theres seagulls nesting there. They get real nasty about egg touching. People use to grow weed in the wrecked old trains.
Rawr

trip up

Postby trip up » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:46 pm

tokanui is about 40 mins out of hamilton if i remember right... we got lost though. creepy as fuck tokanui (sp) village is creepy enough, the actual mental hospital creeped me the fuck out.. weird vibes. didnt get too close but i know of people who have got in.. theres all still stuff in there. watch out for the guards though they are 24hr and i know of a few people who have been arrested for tresspassing.

Andrew_TA

Postby Andrew_TA » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:54 pm

It's right by where I used to live stace I could show you some time, it's not that hard to find.

I haven't been close in about 4 years but back then they still used a little bit of it i think..

your fucking funeral

Postby your fucking funeral » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:10 pm

i also visitied tokanui on a few ocassions when i lived in Te awamutu..up there road from tokanui there is an old hall where they used to have after ball parties and such..me and my mate got drunk and walked through that hospital one night after the party and got chased by the security van and hes got a dog too. fuck that place is creepy..chains swining and street lights going off an on. grim place
chelovek cheloveky volk

Derek the Chef

Postby Derek the Chef » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:45 pm

disease wrote:I don't have photos but in Christchurch there is the old women's hospital on Colombo Street, the Odeon Theater on Tuam Street, stockyards on Deans Ave (covered in graffiti by now) and lots of big old brick buildings around Addington and the rail yards.

Sunnyside Mental Hospital is partly abandonded, I think they use some of the buildings. Place is creepy as shit at night.

Also the Malt Works in Heathcote is abandoned apart from one building, the grain silo and old kiln sheds are pretty amazing
Dan was usually the first one to suggest a round of Soggy Biscuit, but he always played to lose.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 pm

my mates used to cruise out to the old freezing works in longburn and fuck around, creepy as

seems like the coolest abandonded places are the ones where the most disturbing shit happened while they were in use

VC

Postby VC » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Are any of you here into underground tunnels? If you post locations (around AK) I'm keen to check them out. Think there is an abandoned military base on Rangitoto on the southern coast, anyone been there?
Thou shalt not use poetry, art or music to get into girls’ pants. Use it to get into their heads.

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:17 pm

tonks ave precinct in wellington, newly refurbished houses, most of which are unoccupied and have been for some time.

Ventoux

Postby Ventoux » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:19 pm

Kingseat mental hospital somewhere round Papakura or Drury or somewhere in that direction anyway. Creepy as fuck ghoully going ons round there too. I certainly won't step foot in there again.

dclxvi
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Postby dclxvi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:21 pm

the old post office in dunedin was fuckin CHOICE.... prob about 9 or 10 stories of abandoned squalor... floorboards all bust up and shit... some kid holed himself up there with a knife recently i think.. half ass police standoff, should've just sniped the cunt.

i'm sure a few dunedin members (or lurkers) of this board can recall breaking into that shit on a friday or saturday night after some horseshit gig or party... last i recall i think it was kitt and/or nico got arrested for trespassing one night, then they started to tighten up security on the cunt.
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

norty

Postby norty » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:24 pm

that place in city road (steep as fuck street behind Real Greedy) in AK should be squatted. Think it has some sort of heritage value so it cant be demolished, the owner is just leaving it unprotected to get trashed..also School Road Kingsland. In both places you'll get to meet interesting people.

...the old mental house for kids adjacent to the Gillies Ave on ramp (now been destroyed) along with abandoned basketball gym was mean. Huge old 2 storey house where street kids lived. Massive property covered in bush that was fill of fucked up sculptures owned by a neighbour who was a meatworks tycoon. Art includes a jungle gym-like sculpture with barbed wire and cages instead of monkey bars complete with the image of a big veiny cock and the words 'my youth'. Also a giant sculpture of a schoolboy and a huge chainsaw carved out of wood. Also of interest are wood cut out pictures of dogs fucking pigs. This stuff is all hidden in the bush next to the Gillies Ave on ramp. There is an overgrown path right on the corner of the on ramp. Havn't visited this place for a while but is well worth a trip. The bush provides cover from potential security guards and the meatworks dudes house is a good distance away (although he does have a dog, but its a shit one).
Last edited by norty on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uhtred

Postby Uhtred » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

Ventoux wrote:Kingseat mental hospital somewhere round Papakura or Drury or somewhere in that direction anyway. Creepy as fuck ghoully going ons round there too. I certainly won't step foot in there again.

kingseat is on the end of the road that the exit to karaka takes you to.
its the place that the stupid faggotboy was referring to...

tell your story candace.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Halfway between National Park and Ohakune on state highway 4 is an abandoned school. Place is rotten to shit because it always rains there. It's obvious from the road so might not be so easy to get into unseen.

Just north of Warkworth there's the abandoned cement works that fell into the river, pretty fucking cool in summer. Don't know how fun it'd be in winter... Ask a local, should be easy to find.

The tunnels all over Devonport in Auckland used to be easy as to get into when I was a kid but since the navy officially moved away they've put better locks on or sealed them off completely. Used to be able to walk for ages into the tunnels, never remembered a torch though so I freaked out pretty regularly.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:57 pm

There's an abandoned camp in Albany opposite the graveyard, still has heaps of beds and stuff in it.

Also there's that shit as building near the Park and Ride in Albany, to the side of the motorway, with all the walls smashed out and shit. Last time I went to go in that the whole place was about knee deep in water so didn't go in though.

And there was an abandoned driving range just by Rangitoto College for about 2 years. People smashed all the walls out and turned it into a skate park, but it has since been demolished and I think is being turned into apartments.

Is that cinema still there that was on Queen Street?

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Yep. Last I heard nobody can afford the real estate.

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Ha, when I went in, which was about 18 months ago, we got caught by some guy who was showing people around in it to sell it

hate and wedges

Postby hate and wedges » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:38 pm

theres an empty old quarantine hospital somewhere up in cashmere hills in christchurch.

when the childrens dental hospital on willis st was empty and hadnt been gentrified i used to walk past it and fantasise about ghosts of little kids with retainers.

Brento

Postby Brento » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 pm

good thread!

loucke = shit

Postby loucke = shit » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:31 pm

in hamilton there is the old railway buildings on king st. behind the warehouse for forlongs.
they have started using it for storing some of the shit for the V8's, but it was still abandoned when I left.

also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ghost_towns_in_New_Zealand

there are 8 ghost towns in NZ
Drop out of school, and get a drug habit.

timi

Postby timi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Theres a big tavern down the road in Thorndon (central Wellington) thats been empty for ages.

Duncan

Postby Duncan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:47 pm

Yep was gonna mention the one on the steep as st. Cause my mate used to have a room in the big apartment next to it.

It has been fenced off now. But still easy to get to.
In Herne Bay, there is a massive mansion on Sentinel Rd at the bottom by the beach down there. It has no windows etc now, it is all concrete but its a mean two story house that got built, but never finished.

Derek the Chef

Postby Derek the Chef » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:00 pm

loucke = shit wrote:in hamilton there is the old railway buildings on king st. behind the warehouse for forlongs.
they have started using it for storing some of the shit for the V8's, but it was still abandoned when I left.

also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ghost_towns_in_New_Zealand

there are 8 ghost towns in NZ

Reading through the list most aren't exactly abandoned, I remember eating toheroa and mutton whilst boozing up in the Orepuki pub maybe 7-8 years back
Dan was usually the first one to suggest a round of Soggy Biscuit, but he always played to lose.

the ledge

Postby the ledge » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:05 pm

I got told that the building next to Real Groovy was where the Sik Kidz call home. They call it the Sik Houze or something equally creative

dclxvi
Location: pissy shitty bloddy period rape shit cum food stains

Postby dclxvi » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:15 pm

^^ fuck i hope that's true
Kerry wrote:Then at an old age, the neighbour's dog thought it would be crakup to maul him and he died so we chucked him up in the ground.

Cosmo Kramer wrote:i have full qualifications (john grisham novels 1-10) and i am yet to sit the bar exam but i know i will pass

Return to “Miscellaneous”