23 years of Hell yeah!

All that crap that doesn't fit any of the other forums
VietCongDeathSquad

23 years of Hell yeah!

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:40 pm

Here it is...My History in the Punk Community...

I first got into punk back around 82. I'd watch Radio with Pictures on Sunday nights (Barry Jenkin, later on Karyn Hay then Dick Driver) and they'd play hard out shit like Venom, Kreator as well as, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Damned, Souixsie and the Banshees, No Tag, Unrestful Movements, Flesh D-Vice etc...

The way I got into punk was when one day we were walking back from soccer and one of the lads said "hey, what shall we get into?"...Someone suggested Reggae but at the time the only people really into reggae were stoners, gang members and Rastarfarians (strangely enough....). Then someone else suggested punk rock...They looked at me and I said..."yeah, sounds good to me...." and that was that. The other guys didn't really last long at it after a year or so they turned to the Alt/Nightclub scene but once I'd said that I'd be a punk, that was it for me. A couple of the guys ended up in the Hallelujah Picassos.

Being a punker in Whakatane in the early 80's meant being able to run fast (cos a lot of people hated you and wanted your leather jacket), being snobbed by your relations and the usual hassles from the cops/gang members. I was into Crass, Disorder, The Exploited (we spraypainted a huge ass 'EXPLOITED' on the Whakatane baths wall! It must of been like 20' long...hehehehe), Undead (the brit punk band), Dead Kennedys, The Violators, Abrasive Wheels, PTTB, Varukers, One Way System, Blitz, 4-Skins, Infa-Riot, Vice Squad and my fave, ACTION PACT. The local record store (music was on Vinyl in them days...LOL) was damn good at getting punk stuff in. I'd hit them every dole day and then I scored a job which boosted my vinyl collection and sustained my pot stash. I'd get fucked up stoned and lay on the floor with the speakers up to my ears singing my heart out to brit punk, Oi! and the Dead Kennedys! They also had a video copy of 'The Decline of Western Civilisation' which is a must see for anyone wanting to see American hardcore back in the day. Henry had just joined Black Flag....

My first mohawk was cut for me by the Black Power/Mangukaha (willingly! a few of my relations were members...). My mom had threatened me with banishment but that urged me on even more! She turned up just after I had it done and I just smiled at her....she didn't banish me....meh....
The first punk band I saw was The Plastic Pegs (AK) who played at the Ohope community hall (now gone). I was fucked up on straight Vodka (ahhhhh...vodka.......) when the pigs showed up and closed the show down but not until the band thrashed out A.C.A.B.! Then they made people tip out their alc...bastards! I then went home, munched out, threw up on my records.....tho I didn't realise it til the morning...

Back then there was a magazine called 'Punk Lives!' I'd buy two issues every month, one for posters and one to stash. That was a major impetus for me to journey to Tauranga and Rotorua to hit record shops for punk releases.We'd collect anything that was punk. Any mag that had any referance to punk, we scored it if we could. Safety pins, chains, studs, badges adorned my black clothing or bleached levis, red braces and army jacket. Combat boots or Doc Martins were the footwear of choice. Tho I did have a pair of snazzy black and white checkered sneakers for skanking into The Specials, The Beat, Selector....

I went back to school one day to drop off my books with a mate of mine. We noticed a few of the bro's checking us out so we started to leave, by the time we got to the school gates, there were like 20 bro's telling us 'Punk Sucked' and they were gonna 'kick our punkheads in'! I yelled out "Fuck you, you black cunts!" (hey, they started it...) then me and my buddy ran....hotly pursued by several of my relatives....Fuck them....rude bastards!...

A few HB Skins were around then (Hawkes bay) I got on it with them a few times and they seemed like good guys. Years later, in Auckland, I found out what a buncha shits they were...
Mainly, I'd go to work (I had to wear a hat at work in case my mohawk caused the old folks to have a heart attack....grrrr), go home, get stoned, listen to music. On the weekends I'd hang around with my mate who was into SKA or my Punk bro (Punk bro had a GF tho so he was usually with her....). Sometimes we would go to metal head parties and listen to AC/DC while the bogans called us 'brush-heads'. Then we'd go to the local church and pig out on milo and toasties, the price of which is that they would try to convert you... (didn't fuckin work tho! HAH!)

Out of town Black Power from Ruatoki would pull up to us tell us to "COME HERE PUNK SCUM" and we'd run so fast! They had tried to run me over once so I wasn't gonna have anything to do with them. I did have school buddies in the Junior Blacks so they would help us out with the Bogans/Bro's/anyone if they were around so it was pretty safe between our ability to sprint and them. It wasn't too bad apart from being called punk weirdo, cop hassles, running exercises and surfer scum...

Part two.....Whakatane gets too small,I go to Auckland and meet some Punks....
Last edited by VietCongDeathSquad on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentis telum est"

http://tnppodcast.libsyn.com/

Ph!1

Re: 23 years of Hell yeah!

Postby Ph!1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 am

VietCongDeathSquad wrote:

*waits in breathless anticipation*

(nah really)

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:37 am

Intresting story. So how many times did you actually get the beat down from black power and do you still have those hassles now?
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:43 am

id imagine not. :wink:

gem

Postby gem » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:14 pm

hahaha that was the best story ever.
more please

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:47 pm

Wax wrote:id imagine not. :wink:

He's older now, his running wont be so good.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:36 pm

Yeh hurry up and write more!
http://aotearoa666.com/

eli

Postby eli » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:27 pm

yea i want to read more. a book would be good to but id say yould never make any money off it

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm

Broken Fate wrote:So how many times did you actually get the beat down from black power and do you still have those hassles now?

Nah, they never got me. They actually wanted me to join but as I said 'I was a punk for life'. One of my old school buddies is the President of the Whakatane BP. I saw him at Treemass and said 'Howdy', He's the hell kick-boxer and a mate of my lil brothers.

He's older now, his running wont be so good.

True that! So I stand and fight now or bluff/intimidate my way out....

shacknasty wrote:stretch it out and write a book.

The DVD will be out at Helloween.
:wink:

cracker jack

Postby cracker jack » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:19 pm

Hurry up with part two!!!!!!

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:47 pm

I ended up at a BP party one night with one of my uncles and the ones that had tried to run me over were there. Declining my Uncles invitation to line-up for some girl getting 'blocked' (remember, this was a gang party...sick shit like that did happen and still does...). I cruised in and froze... These guys were huge, I was just a lil wee cherry punker, then my uncle* strode in (imagine a younger Jake the Mus without the bad bits...well, he liked fighting and was damn good at it....) and intro'ed me to the crew and they were "yeah we've seen you around, your his nephew eh?" Sweeeeettt asssssssss! plus there were a few of my cousins there that I grew up with so it was cool. I did, however, split later on when one of the Ruatoki guys decided to start petting my 'hawk'.

I went to Sweetwaters the year that UB40, Rose Tattoo, Split Enz, No Tag played. A buddy and I hitched up but he told me to wear a hat(....) or else we would'nt get rides. My mom ended up driving us to Hamtown (I love my mom :oops: ). We got to Huntly and started walking, and walking until this van load of Shaveheads drove past and yelled out "Walk ya cunts!". I whipped off my cap and they saw my mohawk... "Fuck, that cunts gotta mohawk! Stop!" and screeched to a halt and offered us a lift. Heh, Vindication for my haircut...(not many people had mohawks or spikeheads back then). Turns out, they were mates of The Plastic Pegs!
Sweetwaters was wicked (think the BDO with pot, dodgy food etc for 2-3 days). My faves were The Girls (all-female band, Kim Willoughby, Debbie Harwood? some others...) sorta NZgirlpop, No Tag (of course!) Fucking awesome!!!...and a shitload of other bands I can't remember. UB40 were excellant (1 in 10 era stuff), Rose Tattoo weren't bad, Split Enz, I was off drinking and cruising. We hitched back and I shot off to Gisborne for a look. My mate was off to England (he interveiwed Glen Matlock while he was over there and came back with a cheesy pommie accent....). Gisborne was shit (no offense...read on..). ..

My ride to Gizzy got busted within half an hour of us being there and I was stranded in a strange town, my clothes and ska sneakers in the damned, stolen, impounded car. Someone did ask me if 'GBH' stood for Gisbourne Boys High. I got my gear back, the cops believing I was 'just hitching' and slept under a bridge that night. Bought The Clashs 'Combat Rock' the next day and caught a bus back to Whakas.

A few younger guys from school were now into punk and we started kicking round for a few months, stealing milk from mailboxes and playing video games and checking out one of the guys hot as sisters. They headed off and hung out with some people who wanted to kick my head in a few months later...apparently I didn't 'talk enough' for the new crew (bogans) and I was a 'weirdo punk scumbag' that if he ever shows his face in this town again etc etc(Kawerau)...well....the punk guys from Kawerau were all cool cunts (errr all two of them and one of those was a skin) tho and we kicked round a bit after that getting drunk and going to parties.

By now my mate was back from England and invited me up to stay at his Moms in AK (his mom was like a second mom to us lil punks back in WHK...). I went to a wicked as party with another mate of mine living up there. It was like being at the NZ Music Awards of 1980something ( my dates are a bit fucked up....long time ago...). There were people from The Narcs, Dance Exponents, The Girls (!), and heaps of other then-at the-time-famous bands. The Singer from the Narcs asked how I spiked my hair up.....'Soap man'....I also met some people who said I could move up there and flat with them!

The week before I left AK ( 2 week holiday) there was a punk gig at Mainstreet. 'Not the 78 punk show' with people from the Instigators and some other old nzpunkers. I went but had to take my combat boots off before they would let me in......Fucking brilliant gig! I pogoed, grappled and skanked away (in my socks....) to a night of punk rock classics...I went back to WHK, informed my folks I was moving to AK. I missed the Dead Kennedys at Mainstreet....(I don't want to talk about it....) and the week after DK's (...) I was back in AK.

The new flatties were into the nightclub scene. I had been dragged off dressed in NC clothes (with my mohawk spiked up and an indignant look on my face for looking like a trendy git...) to a few clubs. The nicest one was a club called' the Venue' (AA Venue) on Upper Symonds street. My pommie mate and a few others from WHK worked there and they intro'ed me to the Owner, nice guy by the name of Russ Le Roq (Russell Crowe back when he was a struggling muso/pre actor..strange but true). He said cruise up any time and they'd let me in no matter what I was wearing! What a cool cunt!

Also, one of the flatties had been a punk back in '77' (gasp! an original.... 8O). We'd play cards and he'd tell me about Zwines, The Scavengers, Instigators, Proud Scum etc (AK 79 is, was and will always be a fave...except for the emo bits...)...He also told me about the High School round the corner (Metro...I lived on Grange rd. Mt Eden then) and that punks go there. So the next day I cruised round, sat down and waited til some punkers showed up. A spiky-headed chap came out for a smoke and introduced himself as Keegan and asked if I went to school there. "Nah I'm just here to meet some punks"...Hehehehe...He told me a buncha them were getting on the piss at a pub in town (Hmmmm....just off Symonds street up the hill from the square? Starts with 'G' maybe?...) and to show up on Friday. That place became our local.

My record collection had grown, my mohawk was a suitable length, I had scored Flesh D-Vices '12 inches of Hard Flesh' (chortle...). That record ruled! Still fuckin does...and met some punks to kick round with and a sanctuary to escape to if it all got too much.

AK to me back then was wicked! Country boy in the big smoke! I hadn't been to Wellies yet but planned to because Flesh D-Vice came from there. But AK was full of strange sights, punk rockers and gigs! Tho most of the bands I saw were at the Venue. The Mockers I remember seeing after I'd been at the pub. I cruised upto the Venue on the way home one night and ran into Russ and a bouncer doing a sweep. He asked me if I was goin up but I wasn't really dressed nice (LOL...bleached jeans 1" roll-ups, red braces, combats, army jacket with an EXPLOITED backpatch) He gave me a card to give to the bouncers on the door. I went to walk in and the guy on the door was all "Sorry Bro! your not dressed for it!" I told him Russ said to give him this card, he looked at it and was all "Ooooo Sweet bro, Go on up!" The teenies round the door were stunned! A scumbag kid dressed like a post-apocalyptic, punk-mutant, Oi! rat was allowed in! HAH! Went to a coupla parties at expensive houses in the country with the Venue crew. It gets a bit hazy around this part....

Next
I move to Parnell with the Crusties (Crass punks! Fellow travellers on the road to peace and tofu...)

* My Uncle OC, coupla years older than me and still a damn, good dude. When we were kids he'd help us beat up the other kid gangs from across the St. Josephs Rugby Club valley in WHK...His wife is a Christian, I'd kill at her command (not that she would ask)...LOL...alright I like some Christians...
Last edited by VietCongDeathSquad on Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:55 pm

Oh, and now the BP just look at me like I'm some weirdo from out of town with connections...Even Tama Iti looked at me strange at a Tangi I went too a coupla years ago. I was a pallbearer, he probably knew everyone else except for me. It was the 'who the heck are you, tinged with the must be someone' look. I blame it on my shades.....

HTDS

Postby HTDS » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:02 pm

Fuckin' old cunt :wink:
Well it aint gunna suck itself...

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:21 pm

Fuckin' old cunt Wink

watch yurself young lady, your not too big to chuck over my kn......

:oops:

:lol:

pissdrunx

Postby pissdrunx » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:07 pm

VietCongDeathSquad wrote:(I love my mom :oops: )

Me too buddy, me too...

I want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like how did u ended up in NP and meeting nige and the DN krew?
What a hammer can't fix is something that ain't broken

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:14 pm

Intresting story. I'm getting hooked. This is better then shortland street... come to think of it, i cant think of anything worse then shortland street.....ahem.

What is your name Mr. Story Teller?

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:17 pm

pissdrunx wrote:Like how did u ended up in NP and meeting nige and the DN krew?

hmmmm...that parts 15....lol...nah I'll get to it....thats about 87/88...

Broken Fate...my name is Slammy...my real name must remain hidden from Witches/NF etc etc...weren't we matched against each other in the Punk Hunk-offs?

tomorrow the saga continues...takes awhile to remember stuff long buried...

kerryn

Postby kerryn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:26 pm

Whakatane eh? I grew up just out of Texas and then later in Edgecumbe....glad to see more than a few people made it outa that town and into the wider world...choice place to grow up though mostly :P

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:54 pm

i had a mate from te teko, mob family, but hes a fief, that tama iti guy was a wanker to me, i think hes racist.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:57 pm

This is an awesome story. Mad props dog.

8)

Big Bird

Postby Big Bird » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:09 pm

I lived in Kawerau for the first 11 years of my life, my mums got a farm out in Edgecumbe now.
Hahahahaha Ruatoke! Alot of Ruatoke blondes used to go to my primary school (little hereharas with black hair that bleach it and it turns some orangey colour). What's happened to the Ohope Hall? I'm sure it was there last time I passed through that way. Where do they have the Sunday markets now?
Kawerau punks? The only reason anybody still lives in that town is the paper mill and it's high pay, I'm glad to not live there anymore.
come 'ere

gem

Postby gem » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:16 pm

yay auckland!!! more please

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:24 pm

VietCongDeathSquad wrote:Broken Fate...my name is Slammy...my real name must remain hidden from Witches/NF etc etc...weren't we matched against each other in the Punk Hunk-offs

Yeah that's right. You kicked my ass. You were the guy in the ninja suit. Even I voted for you.

Continue story, it's wikid.

HTDS

Postby HTDS » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:03 am

VietCongDeathSquad wrote:
Fuckin' old cunt Wink

watch yurself young lady, your not too big to chuck over my kn......

:oops:

Hahahah now now slappy, settle down :wink:

Well it aint gunna suck itself...

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:22 am

my mum is from kawerau.

spent a bit of time there when i was a knee-high to a grasshopper...

the first time i saw Slammy i was 16 and scared....

:twisted:
Craig.
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:58 am

Cameron wrote:What's happened to the Ohope Hall?

this hall was at the bottom of the hill as ya get into Ohope from WHK, when I was back at Treemass it had gone... :cry:
Ruatoke blondes...

yeah it used to take a bit to get my hair blonde...I'd usually spray paintmy mohawk with hi-vis dazzle....

ruth wrote:I grew up just out of Texas and then later in Edgecumbe....choice place to grow up though mostly

hahaha...wicked! Yeah it was pretty good there when I was young. Our kid gang was dominant and had the best dirt fighters/brawlers in the Arawa rd./Lord Cobham Ave. area...Our enemies held us in awe (they told us after a big dirt fight once....LOL)...our homemade toy guns were wicked and our homemade german uniforms :lol: even had cloth eagles and fallschirmjaeger rank badges...(at one stage we dressed like german soldiers for a few months...we were only 11 or so?)

Craig Militia wrote:the first time i saw Slammy i was 16 and scared....
Heh....first time I saw you buddy I thought ..."call that a mohawk?! :wink:

pissdrunx

Postby pissdrunx » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:51 am

shit, the first time i saw slammy i was 21 and pretty much shat my
pants...
What a hammer can't fix is something that ain't broken

Ph!1

Postby Ph!1 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58 am

i was 24 and him and craig had masks, i wasnt scared. :lol:

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:26 pm

ive always thought foot high hawks were a bit over the top.

plus im 6 foot+ tall anyway, i dont wanna have to duck underdoorways!

:twisted:
Craig.
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

VietCongDeathSquad

Postby VietCongDeathSquad » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:53 pm

NPHC Militia wrote:plus im 6 foot+ tall anyway, i dont wanna have to duck underdoorways!

ha! my amusing 'damned mohawk is too long' story comes later.....

wax wrote:i was 24 and him and craig had masks, i wasnt scared.

Hahahha...we'd talked on the net tho!

pissdrunx wrote:shit, the first time i saw slammy i was 21 and pretty much shat my
pants...

:lol: awwww..."Only the guilty have anything to fear"...I'm not that scary...maybe I should smile more? :wink:

Return to “Miscellaneous”