Ivy Blue / Stayc Rikona / J Solo Project - 12/5

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Dead Kid

Ivy Blue / Stayc Rikona / J Solo Project - 12/5

Postby Dead Kid » Sun May 13, 2018 7:50 pm

The café's closed and nobody's striving to check my gig ticket nor sell me an apple juice. There's only one way to explain what just happened. Such formalities are unnecessary when you've passed into The Twilight Zone.

It's an industrial dimension where the desktop computer rightfully reigns supreme. J Solo tracks are long rituals. His first on bass guitar rivals the most unsettling Swans material with the help of some accidental monitor feedback. He retrieves his 6 string from a mate hanging backstage to bring the J Solo we expect. He gives it his all until he's delirious under the mask, even playing the first half of a song with his guitar off. Eventually after 30 minutes he's got nothing left and has to cut a song halfway through.

Stayc has the best singing voice of the night and does both oldies and newies to backing tracks, with a bit of dancing up and down the runway stage. Plus some decent rap to keep things interesting.

Ivy Blue knows how to put on a show. He doesn't know how to get people to turn up to it, but he knows how to pour his life into a performance. The one-man band configuration works well. He uses a loop pedal to create his own backing music with strums, beatboxing and slapping his guitar, not caring whether it loops neatly. Not only is it much better than most of the recordings, but there's what I can only compare to a conference speech weaved into the performance as well. Halfway through the set he dons devil horns to give us his view of evil in the world. There's the odd stumble with the loop pedal, but he delivers the set like nobody else could. He improvises a lyric about Stayc's shirt and you'd hardly know it didn't belong in the song. Some of his lyrics are atrocious, but the disease that is mainstream hits can take the blame for that. The hipsters may label this 'freak folk' and flock to it, saying "it's so bad it's good". They'd be wrong, but let them spill their wallets open.

J Solo Project

Stayc Rikona

Ivy Blue

General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

theurgeivyblue

Re: Ivy Blue / Stayc Rikona / J Solo Project - 12/5

Postby theurgeivyblue » Tue May 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Hiya @DeadKid.
Is it OK to use this for something online? My web admin wants to do a recap of the show on the web and would like to add parts of this onto the site. She doesn't have an account so she asked me to ask.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Sure. I've just sent you a link with bigger versions of the photos too. Though any parts of sentences taken out of context may be considered a Fake News tactic. :baton:
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

xCaptainx
Stay Cold

Postby xCaptainx » Tue May 29, 2018 9:15 am

Great review. Expertly written. Felt like I was there. I'm in a room by myself, which is helping with the immersion whilst reading. Thank you for sharing.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:53 am

Police line guitar strap... im sold

theurgeivyblue

Postby theurgeivyblue » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Hi guys.
A new album called Motions isn't far from release. It's a mix of stuff, but hey- when have I ever stuck to just one thing? And besides, what I end up singing reflects the music in ways that perhaps lots of louder songs just doesn't do.
You can check out a preview of the instrumetnals here: https://www.facebook.com/ivyblueofficialbook/videos/325845064835272/

Return to “Reviews”