Hamtown Smakdown 2014

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
cirE

Hamtown Smakdown 2014

Postby cirE » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:08 pm

couldn't make it to the first night

unfortunately missed HOLSTER

really enjoyed ONE OUTS, especially the slower shit, i've always had a soft spot for this kinda dark variety of hard/metalcore, whatever the fuck you call it

PENNY DREADFULS prob the best band of the night for me, fucking cool seeing them on a big ass stage and a responsive crowd. dunno wtf was going on with the vocals for the first few songs though... actually, same thing for the previous band, it sounded like there was a noise gate on the vocals that was set too tight, so anything that wasn't yelled just got cut off. ANYWAY BACK TO THE BAND. my lifelong wish of seeing a hole song performed at smakdown has been fulfilled. how good is life?

enjoyed the TROPHY HUSBANDS set, always fun seeing dave on drums

unfortunately missed FUTURE THEFT for some reason... quite wanted to catch them actually. this year's lineup is so diverse, i fucking love this shit tbh, beats the usual cookie cutter hatebreed cover bands :baton:

SLAVEDRIVER sounded mother fucking huge. just realized i've already used fuck 3 times to describe how much i dug this year so far, but whatever. yeah, huge. i found it awesome that if slavedriver played a few years back, they would've been the "arty" band, with people standing around with their arms folded etc... but this night they were in my opinion the heaviest band of the night. slavedriver the token heavy band haha. ahmed is an attractive mother fucker on a big stage. was he hot or what?

always love seeing THE BLUDGERS. the crowd singing along to friday night when actually saturday night is always funny haha.

DEMONSTRATE. what can i say. DANTOWN SMAKDOWN. year of the 333 takeover. can this band record some proper shit already? can dan also never get a haircut, we always need more long haired frontpersons in hardcore, HOW CHARISMATIC IS THIS GUY NOW i cannot deal. we also need more swords and blunt weapons in the mosh pit, what a fucking party, let's do this shit again. dan moshed like a possessed demon the whole night to everyone else's bands, so naturally when he sung, the whole crowd was stirred up to be an army of mad dancing dans. yeah. my favorite nzhc band right now. how big did sefa's drums sound too. i never saw this coming tbh, not even just this band, but this whole year, all the little zeal bands have grown up, graduated at 333, and now holding their own at the big smakdown leagues. i am so proud of all the bands haha. the future of nzhc is in good hands.

only got to see one ELECTRIC MAYHEM song before i had to leave, but it was solid as ever. how huge is ben clancy now wtf he's like double my height

good shit CHUMZ much love and appreciation for making it all happen!!!

cire out~
xoxo
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

cirE

Re: Hamtown Smakdown 2014

Postby cirE » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:14 pm

also shout out to nicola_yeah for the predrinks at hers LOVE YOU BABE xxx
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Good review. Cheers
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:49 pm

Sounds like a neat smakdown, no shenanigans?
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Not a shenanigan to be seen.

In between having to go outside for drugs and alcohol got to see some rather decent bands.
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:38 pm

Shows of this nature seem to be in a bit of a lull at the moment so I was slightly apprehensive how this was going to both attendance and participation wise. I needn't have worried. My brain is a complete mush so hopefully this rant is somewhat coherent.

Friday

Hell Yeah - Youngish dudes I dont know from palmy playing youth crewy, Lockin Out Records sorta stuff. No bullshit bravado, songs under a minute, pretty stoked to see this dudes again soon. Disappointed in the lack of Vinnie Paul but you cant have everything.

Wizz Kids - Its like someone smashed all my favourite old school hardcore punk bands into some sort of mixer and added a dash of Hamilton. Band rules and I wish I got to see them more.

Losses - I was outside hocking various patches but they sounded pretty excellent and seemed to be getting positive reviews from whoever I talked to. Stoked to see the smaller town bands stepping it up again.

I missed Hammer Time and Downside for the same reasons as above but I know these guys would have got a good reaction from the hometown crowd. Hammer Time almost sounds like a downtuned Suicide File in parts, I'm sure someone will shit on me for that description but whatever. Rob is the man, other than that I dont have much to say about Downside. Solid if not a little generic straight up hardcore.

Graves as has been par for the course over the last year or so fucking killed it. Richies vocals have come a long way since the days of Clockwork shows etc, he also has excellent taste in shorts. New drummer is a machine. Best band in Auckland for me at the moment. All killer no filler.

Removalist Pretty much made me gutted I couldn't hit the Thursday show. Good to see some old faces making their way back over here and churning out some rowdy as fuck tunes. Maybe played for a bit too long but but that was probably more to do with me being tired and grumpy than the actual set. Definitely a band to watch out for. It took a while but Mr Hogan has finally got the Cursed influenced band thing down pact.

I had slinked off back to the hotel from a cup of tea and sleep by the timeToo Late hit the stage, this band has come on leaps and bounds since the first shows so I'm sure kids were lapping it up.

Saturday was the night of 333hunna

Holster Playing their first show, and I believe James first time fronting a band? Either way solid and I look forward to seeing where they end up going musically.

One Outs Covered Harms Way, and that's basically who they sound like.

Penny Dreadfuls Good to see them get a reaction after some initial sound issues. Solid Choonzzz. Band is basically made for a big stage like this. Everyone seemed to vibe on it hard and more girls in bands please.

I had no idea whatsoever who Trophy Husbands were and I was pleasantly surprised to say the least to see members of some of my favourite NZ bands from a few years ago playing some damn fine rocky punk. Made me want to party and I hope this band doesn't disappear any time soon. Most undercover supergroup in a while.

Didnt particularly enjoy the Future Theft recordings but I managed to catch their set and Im glad I did. My soft spot for 90s Epitaph bands was more than satisfied.

Slavedriver From the depths of 333 a band eventually started to play in time and this happened. So proud of these dudes for churning out a ridiculous EP and a great set . I cant give much of a review because I am biased as shit but check out the EP if you're into grindy heavy hardcore. Im definitely team Ahmed in the hardcore dreamboat sweepstakes.

Once the room filled up a bit The Bludgers brought the party as usual. All the bangers were churned out.

Demonstrate Was just next level ridiculousness. Inflatable animals, beach balls, streamers, swords, other assorted props and just all round party/ignorance. Old man Shieldsy and his gang of weirdos turned it down for what. Im equally looking forward to and dreading the videos.

I was destroyed after that set and missed Leccy Mayhem but I know they would have been more than deserving of their headline spot. Gr9 band.

Bit gutted not to catch up with a few people I had meant to, but all in all most diverse and relaxed/party Smakdown I can remember for a while.

Chumz U dA ManTiS

Honist Ta Hu

Postby Honist Ta Hu » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:52 pm

Matt summed it up pretty well. What an awesome weekend. Definitely one of the best Smakdowns I've been to. So chilled, decent mix of bands and a good turn out with very little dramas to be seen. Also really good to see heaps of new fresh faces getting into it.

Friday night:
Hell Yeah played a good set to open the festival. Nice to see kids from a town that hasn't had a show in ages making bands and going hard.

Missed Lookin Up I think.

Wizz Kids, fuck they're so mean. 80's influenced hardcore punk pulled off well.

Missed Hammer Time due to kebab/shit talking

Losses played what was probably my favourite set of the evening. So much better than when I saw then a few years ago (not that they were bad then but they've defs stepped it up cunts). Obvious they spent some time not playing shows and working on their tone and overall sound. Noisy sometimes sludgey, powerviolencey influenced stuff, kind of reminded me of Lightning Bolt at times. A+

Missed Downside for some reason, probably due to shit talking outside. But they're always mean when I see them and I'm sure they were mean again.

Graves were sick as per usual. Allan is an insane drummer, I'm glad they managed to find him after losing Brogan.

Removalist were really good. It was good to see them without the mic fuck ups from the Thursday night Auckland show. Heavy metallic hardcore in a similar vein to Cursed. Also great to see Tom Hogan in his element.

Missed Too Late due to the person who's place I was staying at wanting to gap.

Saturday Night:

Holster not totally my thing but played a real and tight good first(?) show none the less. Will be cool to see what happens with them in the future

Only caught a tiny bit of One Outs but that tiny bit was impressive. Kids seemed to dig it.

Penny Dreadfuls have come along way since seeing them back at Blackheart Info Shop on kroad a few years ago. Minus the technical difficulties they played a great set. Frankie's vocal structure is awesome.

Was Trophy Husbands the same as Big Jobs?? who know but fuck they were a nice surprise. Real fun and tight 'super group' had elements of MDC/Suicidal Tendencies vibes mixed in with some Puppy Killer sounding shit. Super dope.

Missed Future Theft but heard good things

Slavedriver had a blast playing. Chur to all who checked us out.

The Bludgers were really fun. Great sing a longs.

Demonstrate take the party award, and what a party it was. More inflatable objects, rubber swords and streamers at shows please.

Electric Mayhem were real sweet considering they played without a bassist. Fun as set as per usual, people having a dance/run around and almost everyone had a massive grin. ka pai.

All in all it was a fucking fun weekend. Was great to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while. Thanks to Chumz for keeping this going and doing an amazing job at it. Can't wait for next year. 0X

-Edit-

Forgot to mention the great work on all the stalls. there was so mean mean shit to look at and buy. Also wanna say I was happy with the lack of preachy wank rants in between songs, good stuff.

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 pm

Caught the Wizz Children on Friday who were crucial as per usual. Wanted to see Graves but had to bail due to having too much fun the night before.

Penny Dreadfuls weren't too bad, something weird going on with the sound though and a tonne of reverb on the vocals.

Slavedriver. I'm listening to the recordings on bandcamp now and they fuckin' rule. Must have been the sound because i wasn't into it on Saturday eh. 'Teggos mate.

Bludgers. I guess i was fluffing around outside because i came in and only saw the last three songs. As fun as ever, good Ramones cover too.

Electric Mayhem. Best ever. Don't break up. :baton:

Shot 2 4 Chumz and co. organizing.

glenn

Postby glenn » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Was one of my fav smakdowns as well, bands were sick with a fair bit of variety and party times to be had. Couldn't help but feel this was because of a rare lack of shitty scene politics, was nice to be at a show where everyone was having a mean time and there were no dramas.

Was bummed to miss out on Hell Yeah and Wizz Kids due to leaving auckland too late.

Losses were so fucking sick, was not expecting something of that calibre. Probs highlight of the weekend for me, real keen to see more of 'em.

Graves were great as always, new drummer rips so hard.

Caught a bit of Downside, played a tight set as always.

Removalist were fucking rad, dug how the Cursed-worship also came with some real heavy (not shit) dark metalcore sections. Plz come back over again.

Penny Dreadfuls were mean, Frankie's vocals are killer especially.

The Bludgers were dope as always.

Electric Mayhem ruled, also don't wanna see 'em part but if that was it still an apt send-off.

Only downside was the hamilton cops, fuck those cunts, getting a 250 fine for having a beer in the corner of the carpark was bullshit as. Thanks to Chumz for putting it on, anyone who brought some Slavedriver shit, Rob for giving us a place to crash on friday night and Sam and the other dudes at kitchener for saturday night.

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Anybody catch Slavedriver on video?

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:47 am

Man sounds like there are so many dope new bands since I was last around. Must be almost time for another compilation release, a la NZHC Comp or Asshole of the World.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

xTOMHOGANx

Postby xTOMHOGANx » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:47 pm

Was awesome to be back in New Zealand, good as vibes, good as times.

Here's a shitty as review

Friday

Hell Yeah - Reminiscent of old brick vs face/shark attack/mental (which they did a sweet cover of) Hell Yeah were tight, fast and fun. It will be interesting to see how they progress but they're already a solid sounding band

Wizz Kids - It's like they took all my favourite parts of 80's hardcore punk and then made it better

Losses - Sounded bratty and noisy, choice

Hammer Time - Tight and heavy, you can always count on Dylan for some grim ass lyrics

Downside - Hadn't seen this band in a couple of years and they've come a long way, I was fucked up by kickboxers watching them so that's always a good sign

Graves - So psyched I got to see this band 3 times in a week. They are fucking crushing. 1st equal as my favourite NZ band.

Removalist - Was fun as fuck playing, we screwed up some songs and should have played less but whatever, thanks for watching us!

Too Late - Watched their intro and then bailed, they sounded tight but I'm thrash now so when the breakdowns come the carpark starts calling me

Saturday

Holster Richie bro, tune your guitar bro! But otherwise seek mate

One Outs I had mentally written off this band cause I thought their name was bad, turns out they were fucking sweet :oops: :oops: :oops: Looking forward to hearing more from these dudes

Penny Dreadfuls - singer had the best stage presence I've seen in ages, fuck climbing on that drum kit, shit is dangerous. They were choice, would watch again

Trophy Husbands - Solid band of solid dudes from what I could tell, good name, good tunes, big nick on the dad guitar, choice.

Future Theft - sounded good but not really my thing aye bro

Slavedriver Since the day we booked our tickets to NZ my band had been playing the intro to "Omens" every practice and guitar mouthing the riff every time we saw each other. It was the band we were all hanging out to see and they fucking delivered. Huge sound, angry Ahmed, fucking sick.

After slavedriver we had to fuck off up to auckland so sorry to the bands we missed but I will scrutinize the videos and judge you another time

Thanks to everyone who bought shit from us or came and talked shit, we will definitely be back!

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Marrow wrote:Asshole of the World.

:lol:

I only caught a couple of bands due to work/not being able to go on Saturday.

Losses - Best first band (for me) ever. Hadn't seen these guys for a year or more but holy fucking shit... What a set! Great mix of fast & heavy, with a side of banter. Guitar sounded fucking huge. Can't wait to get these guys up to Auckland :baton:.

Missed Downside due to crucial stretching, sounded all goods though.

Graves -First things first,
BLUEPOWERADE wrote:he also has excellent taste in shorts.

Thankyou :calavcalav:. Had heaps of fun playing despite being tired as fuck. Really stoked I got to play the Meteor at least once! Cheers for checking us out and for the kind reviews. Our next show is Skeletonwitch/Toxic Holocaust at KA.

Removalist - It's been fucking sweet playing with these guys 3 times over the past 2 weeks. They weren't too happy with their set afterwards, but I had a bloody good time regardless. Heavy as fuck dark/metallic (whatever) hardcore. Toho's negi rant warmed my heart and Fuzz is as beautiful as his guitar. Their demo is well worth checking out and I think they've got new things coming out soon!

Was packing up during Too Late but heard some great banter over the PA.

Churs to Chumzcorp for keeping Smakdown awesome (and alive).

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Ah my bad. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Welcome-To-The-Arse-End-Of-The-World/release/3092847
Sort of surprised someone actually made an entry for this on discogs. But yeah, so many new bands, would be cool.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

TimShadbolt wrote:Anybody catch Slavedriver on video?

Pretty sure there was people filming all weekend. Will chuck it up once it appears on Facebook

ragequit

Postby ragequit » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Yeah think it was a 3 way collaboration on filming - so they probably won't be up for awhile as they will need to be edited together n shit. Ye.

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 pm

Sounds promising.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Marrow wrote:Ah my bad. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Welcome-To-The-Arse-End-Of-The-World/release/3092847
Sort of surprised someone actually made an entry for this on discogs.

Not really, most NZ punk vinyl is on there. Sean has probably added a good chunk of it.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

UNIT

Postby UNIT » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:52 pm

ragequit wrote:3 way

:baton:

xTOMHOGANx

Postby xTOMHOGANx » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 pm

I think I left lookin up out of my review cause I had just quoted someone else? Rowan you're a lord, band was solid!

BLUEPOWERADE

Postby BLUEPOWERADE » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:29 pm

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnhYY3dCb-0&list=UUNXoGOSctnlA_QYgkRTlV0g[/video]

More videos up on Dallas' page, top effort everyone involved in recordingzz.

buffysummers

Postby buffysummers » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 pm

UNIT wrote:Caught the Wizz Children on Friday who were crucial as per usual. Wanted to see Graves but had to bail due to having too much fun the night before.

Penny Dreadfuls weren't too bad, something weird going on with the sound though and a tonne of reverb on the vocals.

Slavedriver. I'm listening to the recordings on bandcamp now and they fuckin' rule. Must have been the sound because i wasn't into it on Saturday eh. 'Teggos mate.

Bludgers. I guess i was fluffing around outside because i came in and only saw the last three songs. As fun as ever, good Ramones cover too.

Electric Mayhem. Best ever. Don't break up. :baton:

Shot 2 4 Chumz and co. organizing.

yeah man i don't know what was going on with the mic aye? I couldn't hear myself at all but wasn't sure what was up.

cheers for all the positive feedback dudes and dudettes, means a lot!

Return to “Reviews”