Sticky Filth / Black Lick - Akld 15/2

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Dead Kid

Sticky Filth / Black Lick - Akld 15/2

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:08 pm

Enjoyed Black Lick far more than previous times. Such is the way of the dark and magical bunker, making every band sound more menacing than they actually are. :baton: Singer has a good floor presence.

No question that Sticky Filth is as strong as ever. Good turnout but it wasn't a sold out crowd this time. They played a few brand new ones. About halfway through they started deviating from the setlist they'd written down - an oddly distracting thing to see when trying to recognise each song. Might help weed out the people who stayed home browsing Facebook but saw a photo of the setlist and wanna pretend they were there. Singing Weep Woman Weep and May Be A Lover was mostly left to the crowd once again.

:new-bday: to us / 10
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

ghetto ninja

Re: Sticky Filth / Black Lick - Akld 15/2

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:26 pm

Great show, Sticky Filth are still the yard stick to measure all local rock bands against.
Nobody measures up right now.
Surprised how quiet Krd was considering everything that was on.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Dead Kid wrote:Might help weed out the people who stayed home browsing Facebook but saw a photo of the setlist

Is this actually a thing?

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:32 pm

Haha, I dunno... well the FB part probably.

Anyway, my overall rating for the weekend is Anything But Woodcock/10
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Max

Postby Max » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:01 am

Just using this thread to express my appreciation of Weep Woman Weep, undoubtedly one of the greatest punk songs in NZ history.

Weep Woman Weep was written from the point of view of a man who emotionally abused his partner and his reaction to the relationship breakup. He's basically pouring his guts out in this song. At the time it was released it was controversial. The late 80s Wellington punk scene in particular was very political and feminist oriented (Crass, Anti-System etc); anything that didn't unequivocally support left wing causes and feminism etc was regarded with suspicion. It was quite a brave song to release at the time, the "political punks" just weren't prepared for this kind of raw emotional honesty.

I'm glad they did it. Artists should feel free to pour out whatever's inside them, without having to defend it on ideological grounds. Music is an inherently emotional medium.

"Weep Woman Weep" became a popular song in Sydney, with several local bands doing cover versions, and Ben Lee releasing it on CD. It's a testament to a good song if it can be recorded in a variety of different styles.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ3VjU_pHFI[/video]

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:42 pm

I wonder if "all she's worth" will be looked upon in a similar vein
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

mike

Postby mike » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:24 am

Dunno what you guys were on, SF were pretty stale that night compared to the old days

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:37 pm

I agree with this. It's also a huge shame that the song "Your Life", from the same album, wasn't included on the "Archives" CD and is rarely played live these days. That song also has equally honest, heartfelt, but challenging lyrics. The only way you can hear it these days is if you can track down a copy of the "Weep Woman Weep" album on vinyl.

Max wrote:Just using this thread to express my appreciation of Weep Woman Weep, undoubtedly one of the greatest punk songs in NZ history.

Weep Woman Weep was written from the point of view of a man who emotionally abused his partner and his reaction to the relationship breakup. He's basically pouring his guts out in this song. At the time it was released it was controversial. The late 80s Wellington punk scene in particular was very political and feminist oriented (Crass, Anti-System etc); anything that didn't unequivocally support left wing causes and feminism etc was regarded with suspicion. It was quite a brave song to release at the time, the "political punks" just weren't prepared for this kind of raw emotional honesty.

I'm glad they did it. Artists should feel free to pour out whatever's inside them, without having to defend it on ideological grounds. Music is an inherently emotional medium.

"Weep Woman Weep" became a popular song in Sydney, with several local bands doing cover versions, and Ben Lee releasing it on CD. It's a testament to a good song if it can be recorded in a variety of different styles.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ3VjU_pHFI[/video]
'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:55 pm

Subcide wrote: It's also a huge shame that the song "Your Life", from the same album, wasn't included on the "Archives" CD and is rarely played live these days. That song also has equally honest, heartfelt, but challenging lyrics.

always thought the same, love that song.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Return to “Reviews”