Punkfest 2013

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Antiseptic

Punkfest 2013

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Fuck it, I guess I'll start this off then but it ain't gonna be much of a review! I honestly remember very little about the bands I saw on Friday and I don't remember much of our set either. Woops. Saturday arvo was the same deal cause I was hurting. Got my tan on though and that was fucking rad. KIA KAHA KIDS and BnP were the highlights for me! Saw them both saturday night. CIDER DOGS were fucking sick too!! Keen to all those bands in welly sometime soon. Felchers were doep. tech defs weren't so doep but it seemed to not be too much of a dampener.

Thank you so much to lance and everyone else who helped put this shit on!! The trike club is a fucking awesome venue! Maybe even better than the welly car club imo. Keen as fuck to get back to chch for more party times. Thanks for all that good ol southern hospitality!

Favourite non-music related story of the weekend was a certain member of vomit storm taking care of a certain type of business down a driveway on saturday morning hahahahah 0X

Let's see some photos/videos and lets all share some stories n shit. Fuck, I missed all of Bolshys poetry at the end and am kicking myself cause everyone was raving about it! Apparently someone got the whole thing on video though. Bolshy was an awesome MC too btw! MCs at punk shows/fests is a fucking good idea.
Beredius wrote:What does DSW mean?

Antiseptic

Re: Punkfest 2013

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:56 pm

sorry not sorry for the shitty review :D everyone knows this site is pretty irrelevant these days anyway. i just don't wanna miss out on pics cause i don't have facebook.com

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:57 pm

Antiseptic wrote:Favourite non-music related story of the weekend was a certain member of vomit storm taking care of a certain type of business down a driveway on saturday morning hahahahah 0X

haha please do shed some more light on this incident? Rad meeting you bro! Dilfs were rad fun! BnP and Felchers were ace...had a real good time at the day show too!

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 pm

Antiseptic wrote:everyone knows this site is pretty irrelevant these days anyway

not cool bro
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

dam. break our hearts why dont you

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:34 pm

I'm totally stoked this happened again, the one north islander I managed to talk to about it said it was fucking awesome and Lance is still rad.

Still pretty sad about waitangi wipeout though :( I made a festival with hawaiian shirts guys, what could have been better than that?
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 pm

PertHJ wrote:
Antiseptic wrote:everyone knows this site is pretty irrelevant these days anyway

not cool bro

sorry, just kidding i actually check up every wednesday so i know what's happening on the weekend in wellington (but seriously, half the shows down here just don't get listed on this site anymore. and the ones that do end up here hardly get seen by people. its totally relevant if you live in auckland i guess though?)

stenchcore666

Postby stenchcore666 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Fucken awesome weekend, im still feeling pretty fragile today, thank you so much to everyone who helped me out this year putting it on and all the great bands who made it all the way to christchurch to make it happen!

Angus did a great job on sound this year and i couldnt of asked for a more efficient sound tech for punkfest, we had some problems near the end of saturday night with a fuse blowing but he stepped up and sorted it all out with what we could wrangle, fucken GC.

real positive vibes this year, no fights or shit getting stolen. sadly MC Bolshy broke a rib on friday night falling down the stairs but he kept it up and ended up still playing drums and doing vocals in bazooka on saturday night, what a fucken trooper!

ill write up some more stuff when my brain returns to normal :thumbup:

chur to roger, ahnand and other GCs for work on the banner!
Vomit Storm:
Scum Hammer:
The Dilfs:
Graves:
Skeletor:
Conniption:

Forgot to charge my camera for the day show due to too much running around and hungover dingus brain :cry:

Bazooka:
The Cider Dogs:
Kia Kaha Kids:
Johnny And The Felchers:
Gripper:
BNP:

Crowd Shots

Bonus ones for jerry:
HUNK ALERT!!!

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 pm

Phwoar, who's that sexy young lady fronting the dilfs ;)
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Looks fuckin awesome, was a bit bummed out about a week or so ago cos I had a dream that I was back home for punkfest but it just wasn't gonna happen unfortunately. But from what I've seen so far sick lineup mean turnout whole package choice as. Good shit cunts.

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 am

stenchcore666 wrote:HUNK ALERT!!!

^This.

Also bummed I didn't make it, due to a 40th in Wgtn. Looks like fucking rad times. Congrats.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:14 am

Looks awesome, definitely considering heading down to chch next year!
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:56 am

Got down there for a bit on Saturday night. Great to see a few familiar faces. Lurked at the back for a couple of hours and had a great time, before sneaking home to be in bed by midnight.
Uncinia vector

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:59 am

FC wrote:Phwoar, who's that sexy young lady fronting the dilfs ;)

She has pretty dope legs.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

subvert

Postby subvert » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:58 am

More like Boganfest !

Skoll

Postby Skoll » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 pm

Good to hear it went well for you Lance and co.

That venue looks fucking cool, we'll have to sort something down there sometime.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:58 pm

subvert wrote:More like Boganfest !

:lol:
Fuck youre an eat arse.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:54 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:
FC wrote:Phwoar, who's that sexy young lady fronting the dilfs ;)

She has pretty dope legs.

:calavcalav:

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:58 pm

That photo of Roger is fucking siiiiiiiiiiick!!! haha :D

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Yeah, so due to the magic of leaving almost on time (despite a chronic lack of sleep for the last few weeks) I got there for once more than just a couple of minutes before the first band started. Sweet, time to settle in, etc. I bought only 2 bottles of wine to avoid getting so sloshed I forgot half of what is saw (like last year). After five hours driving, falling half asleep, too much coffee, I was, er, thirsty and downed the first bottle in fuck all and felt literaly stone cold sober. Fuck that I'm usually fine for night of moshing with 2 bottles and a few beers - so back to the car to get the backup cask, just in case like (don't want to alarm the nice people unwittingly guarding my car I plan to sleep in later, by drunkenly searching it at midnight).

A couple of ok bands (maybe Vomit Storm and Graves?) nothing super super awesome iirc, but certainly good to mosh to and/or talk shit in the background.

A couple of notables in the crowd - one guy who started moshing like he'd had a few litres of P the instant the first band started and nearly knocked my teeth out while I was swigging.
And another guy (pretty sure a different guy :lol: ) who joed out on a seat near the stage and looked to have a good solid sleep through a couple of bands.

The smarter readers probably guessed the outcome when I foolishly added a cask to my booty of 2 bottles, and that this is probably more of a review of what I drank than the gigs. So yeah, demolished the second bottle with the foolish assumption it'd have only double the fuck all effect of the first one. Classic mistake you think you'd learn to avoid after several decades of drinking. And yeah, ripped (literally) into the cask at some point; I can only hope I gave some away as there was less than a third of the cask left in the morning.

Scum Hammer's set I remember. But, er, not vividly. Probably fun as always.

DILFs - fucking awesome, loved them. Plenty of energy. Would trade again.

So memory was a bit less than consistent at this point. I managed to have my glasses knocked off while moshing. All I recall when I couldn’t find them around me was thinking "Shit, I won't be able to get the car back to Dunedin without glasses" (odd because my glasses are probably worth more than my car, but yeah priorities eh :lol: ). I'm pretty sure I stopped everyone around (and possibly even the band? Who was possibly Conniption? sorry greatly if that’s the case) and made my distress clear. After a quick search revelled nothing I was about to assume the worst - and then someone found them god knows where on the floor! Fucking big thanks.

My vision when from this:

To this:

Can't remember seeing Kia Kaha Kids at all (EDIT: apparently they played Saturday, that will explain that then :lol ).

My last memory was being outside with I suspect the last bods being turfed out and for some reason thinking I was in Kaikorai Valley (Dunedin) needing to order taxis for people. Yeah, pretty odd even for me - hope I didn't ring Nab a Cab in Dunedin and order a fleet of taxis :lol: Anyway, remembered where I was and that my car was hidden around the corner to sleep in and loaded up with chips, humus, aspirin and power-aid for breakfast. Nice.

Hangover level not to bad, woke up reasonably early and drove straight to a buddy’s place which I usually struggle to find amongst all the leafy streets in his neighbourhood. Ability to fight inertia was pretty dented though so arrived at the afternoon gig pretty late - and with the wise precaution of only a 6-pack of IPA.

I managed to catch two of bands, one was sort of almost a noise band (Influence?) - not exactly my thing but I enjoyed them, followed by God Awful. Talked shit. Being a redhead, anti-social, and semi-sober I didn't hang on the lawn much. Great venue - enough room inside for a decent number of people to be able to see the bands easily - and lovely to watch the straight’s faces as the strolled past.

Had dinner with some buddies at the new Baileys. Fucking awful plastic version of its former self, though still managed to meet an interesting ex-Scot at the bar, and the meals were I have to admit fucking great, even if pricy and fuck all for vegos.

Glasses rebent to better hold on to my face, ready for night 2... Armed with only 2 bottles of wine, much Guinness in my stomach, er, and vodka as a back up. Anyone predicting disaster?

Bazooka opened with their 50th performance ever. They were sadly a bit too slick and possibly even playing well I suspect. And Mark refused calls to "Show us your tits", nor did they play enough Elton John - but I managed to enjoy them anyway ;)

Cider Dogs and Kia Kaha Kids I vaguely remember as "Ok, but more same crusty sounding blah" though this is probably more of a reflection of my extreme lack of sleep and excess of alcohol than anything to do with them.

I still have the vodka. All of it. Yet I still managed to remember very little of later half of the night. A might have snuck off to the car for a mid-gig nap and fallen asleep for all I know.

Maybe it was just uneventful. But likely not. Can't remember Johnny And The Felchers or BnP.

Gripper - no memory of hearing them whatsoever - which is a shame as they were one of the bands I was most wanting to see again :lol:

Can't compliment the vegeo pies this year - but only because I wasn't hungry at the right time and missed out :(

Fucking excellent weekend. - From what I remember :lol:

Only thing that wasn’t so excellent was that there were a few peeps missing I'd have liked to caught up with (no not having a go at Fangfest), they were mostly just too poor or whatever.

Speaking of Fangfest, did I see they did a couple of films? That could be a good thing to schedule in recovery time next year at NMTPF.

stenchcore666

Postby stenchcore666 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:02 pm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qSc9V9ZW6uE[/video]

heaps more rungus footage to come!

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Just dropped our last punkfest house guest off at the airport, what a fucking weekend and a half.
With more highlights than i can list on one hand its fairly hard to know where to begin, i guess with a bunch of sweet bands, a conglomeration of good cunts and an abundance of alcohol its bound to be a bit of a good time.
I told lance all year id help him out, but basically all i did was suggest one band that fell through, drive him round a little bit, and sit on the door on friday, so essentially the organisational side was literally pulled off by the one and only sideburned blackmetaller, and i duno how he didnt buckle under the stress, or lose his shit a little bit, there were a few minor mishaps but on the whole a fucking grand success.
I missed most the bands friday, talking bollix to people i hadn't seen in a while and attempting frantically to count change at the door, my limited mathmatical abilities were challenged further due to my mate pouring duty free rum down my throat at any possible occasion.....not that i was voicing any complaints. the dilfs, thats what stood out that night. First time ive seen them, and hopefully not the last, shit they were cool, sort of hard to pigeonhole the style, i guess i was just mesmarised by the almighty gyrating Jerry, hah. I got off the door towards the end and had a good old boogie to the worlds most southern D-beat band, yeah fuck yeah.
a sneaky taxi driver, bunch of drunks in our lounge and difficulty to sleep due to a cocktail of various naughty things, hah
Saturday night was a right old hoot,
-Bazooka were awesome, they are anything if not entertaining, they definately have a cult following and im more than happy to be a part of that.
-Had allot of fun playing, we were all pretty well on our way to intoxication so it didnt all go according to plan, but it was fun , and thats what being in a punk band is about (that and getting into gigs for free, hah!)
-Johnny and the Felchers, since ive been back in nz, these guys (along with awkward death) have been my favourite, theyre a breath of putrid punk rock fresh air, they are just awesome, a fast paced fullnoise attack, thoroughly enjoyable, allot of good riffs, and energy to burn. Stacey generally looks fucked off with society when he sings and i guess thats what makes it so much more genuine.
-KKK have come along way since the first time i saw them in someones basement in auckland on that halloween so many years ago, roger has put clothes on, hes not eating glass, nor even drinking (on stage or off) but shit that doesnt stop them, good cunts, good music.
-Gripper only get better everytime, (aswell as older).But scotty has new sideburns and theyve got their old bassist back. They stil have the same smiling shirtless drummer smashing out those awesomely incessant beats and the infamous front man whos everyones mum wants to fuck. Theyre good, and are pretty hard to beat when it comes to nz punkrock.
-BnP . ive heard the recordings, but ive never seen them before. To simplify the review, next time i put on a show in chch, i will be asking them to be involved, not your typical punk sound, nor appearance, but i would definately hoon on more. Steve knows how to party and also head a sweet band.
The gig was ended my a certain Bolshy mccbaird bidding us ado over the p.a,.... then he read out some of his poetry,.... then more, the more it he spoke the more i wanted to hear. The man is a fucking wordsmith, he uses the english language much the same as an englineer manipulates steel, it was genius, and i certainly hope he publishes oneday.
Obviously i missed out a few bands and highlights and what not, but hey theres a taste of the weekend. dont think il be here when the next one heads around but definately check it out, the Trike CLub is a sweet venue and its bound to be a sweet fuckin weekend, oh and also cheers for noone smashing anywindows or shitting anywhere inappropriately in our house! (that was genuine, not some snide sarcastic dig,....unless someone actually did and i havent found it yet)

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:36 pm

dave-brown wrote: i certainly hope he publishes oneday.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:19 pm

stenchcore666 wrote:[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qSc9V9ZW6uE[/video]

heaps more rungus footage to come!

Dayumn my gat was rungusly outta tune for those ones! Kept having people knock my lead and guitar head so that's no surprise! Didn't stop the good times though....

Some great reviews there Dave and Mark!

stenchcore666

Postby stenchcore666 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:19 am

Wish i filmed more, HEAPS of people were pretty stoked on the dilfs

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yljMKcrrBCs[/video]

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:18 pm

Had a blast at this. Friday night was fucking awesome. Finally got to see Graves play was decent as. The other bands that I hadn't seen before were sweet as well, although I can't really remember much of friday night. After not playing together for most of the year and with no practice we got up there and busted out a questionable set but was fun as fuck! Man I miss playing shows need to jack some more up.

Saturday day show was pretty awesome. Just a bunch of choice as kents invading an inner city park and making it fully rungus. Feral hunks played the day show which was awesome. My favourite Dunedin band if not my fav band in the country at the moment, severely underrated or unheard of... Maybe??

Saturday night I took it easy as I wanted to have a painless drive home on sunday. Watched all the bands sets and thoroughly enjoyed all the performances. Loved the Cider Dogs.

Had a fucking sweet weekend and glad I was able to be there and partake.

Lance as usual did a really good job of organising everything. Top one chap!!!

stenchcore666

Postby stenchcore666 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 am

:calavcalav: love you peps, hunks/conniption tour on the cards?

felchers footage,
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=AKrO32XVd80[/video]

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 am

What can i say, another fucken brilliant weekend, i can't stop living the dream, etc.

Drove up on Friday arvo when Jennie picked me up after work. Her: "We're not sleeping in the car tonight are we?" Me: "No, shit no, i've got it all sorted."
Arrived at the Trike Club about 8.30 and the place seemed to fill up before i knew it. And then i was up on stage opening the festival with a spiel about a conversation i'd recently had with a friend who reckoned that Punk Rock had been dead since the Sex Pistols, you know, that old chestnut, and i told him to pull his mongoloid head out of his unwiped arse and come along to the Trike Club and he'd see how alive and well it is and always has been. And if still unconvinced, head to the Whammy Bar in Auckland!!
All the bands were fucking brilliant (they always are, etc), but the subtle quirkiness of The Dilfs, the crushing brutality of Trepanation, and the colossal reformation of Conniption were probably the standouts for me.
Unfortunately my weekend took a bit of a knock when Axel tackled me from behind and we gracefully twirled and tripped over a fallen punter and my ribs took our weight on the corner of the stairs. Even as intoxicated as i already was, it fucken hurt. But i still launched myself into the good times, albeit with a dash of weariness.
Ended up sleeping upright in the back seat of the car, while Jennie slept on top of the bags in the 'boot' (hatchback). Oh yes, i certainly know how to treat a lady!
Woke up delerious and dishevelled and disorientated from the continued effects of the night's brainfood cocktail, and the excruciating pain i was in. Somehow made it to Maddogs, and by then i had some kind of radical internal agony and i didnt know what the fuck to do with myself. Necked a handful of painkillers and eventually they kicked in and gave me some respite.
We picked up our campervan and drove to Abberley Park for the afternoon show. Brilliant setting and remarkably good turnout, more like a Punk picnic really, the majority preferring to sit around outside in the sun rather than being in the hall to witness the Cramps-style rawness of The Vamps, the end of the world punishment from Influence, the continually rising force that is God Awful, and the sheer fucking brilliance of Feral Hunks - easily one of my favourite live bands - i agree with Pepers, not so much underrated, more just unheard of.
And so the afternoon went, big yellow pouring down as we all ate and drank and peddled merchandise and got our clothing screen-printed.
Managed to chuck in a siesta down by the estuary before heading straight to the Trike Club to link up with the rest of Bazooka, and sure enough, Fyfe was fucken hammered, he just doesn't travel well. But i was rapt he was still standing. Me and Victor did our best to catch up. We played first and it was an honour to perform our 50th gig at such a notable gathering. People were incredulous: "you actually know how many gigs you've played???" Lets just say i've got a hard on for statistics. As Dave said, we're only ever gonna have a cult following, and a small one at that, but when you assess the quality of the people, it could quite easily be called " the continual convention of total good cunts who like to get fucked up and live the dream and don't give a fuck how Bazooka perform cos its just all about the good times anyway cult". We played the same as ever: fair to middley with the odd dash of cohesion. Extra special shout out to Stacey Felcher for making it onto the honours board as being one of the only punters to ever dance their way through a whole Bazooka set. (What the fuck was he on?)
Seemed like a lot more people than the Friday night which was the opposite of last year, and was great to catch up with so many good friends and laugh and dance my way through the evening. The disappointment of old school heavyweights Sawdust and Infinite Justice having to pull out was tempered with the kick-arse bands that did play. And yes, i fucken loved them all, but wanna make a mention of The Cider Dogs who totally exceeded my expectations and cranked out an awesome set (i know they're all good mates of mine and you think i'm just being leg-humpingly biased but so fucken what, fuck you). And of course, the incomparable Gripper.
By the end of the bands i was off my nut on a wholesome hamper of anything and everything that had come my way, this is generally my M.O. anyway, but i was also trying to disassociate myself from my rib dysfunction. Oh yes, me and Bolshy and our friend Mark were certainly having a good old time! I closed out the weekend with a few poems and was quite blown away with the response i received, the punters were quite receptive and while i didn't think some of the hearty feedback was quite warranted, it was still a good buzz cos i hadn't really been that chuffed with my MC performance over the weekend, and the encouragement has convinced me to put Bolshy into action a little bit more - next stop: Onekaka for New Years.
I don't remember crashing, but crash i definitely did!! Snorey McSnorington in the house.
Thanks and gratitude? Fuck yeah!! Here goes:
---Lance: one of the best people i know who put another mighty weekend together and brought the good times and didn't just let me use all his drum gear but even assembled it all and gave me some sticks to use. And played some mean guitar!
---Maddog: providing the Rungus HQ as a base for the masses, helping Lance, playing the drums way better than i realised he could, and just being the good cunt that he is.
---Dave: he might try and downplay his support role but it was huge for Lance just to have him there. Another to bring the good times. Born to be a frontman.
---Dimery: printed up an XL Johnny and the Felchers t-shirt just for me. I wore it with pride and almost shed a tear.
---Phillipa: for coming up to me at the end of Saturday night and asking why she hadn't heard any poems and why wasn't i back up on the fucken stage. Just the arse-kick i needed.
---Angus: soundman genius. Pleasure to watch him at work, savvy, efficient, accommodating, passionate.
---All the North Islanders: made the effort to come down and mix it up, particularly the Aucklanders who could have easily stayed and attended FangFest.
---Icky: took charge of the screenprinting on Sat arvo and did it well.
---Lance's Mum and partner: always show up to support and have a yarn. Salt of the earth.
---Victor and Fyfe: bandmates and brothers for life.
---Jennie: just for being there and being totally fucken awesome.
---Everyone!!!!!

We cruised off on the Sunday and spent the next few days meandering our way through Twizel and Wanaka and Central Otago while the sun beamed down and made it easier to drink beer and live the dream. Oi!
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

jess

Postby jess » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:27 pm

If you like what you just read check this shit out! Thanks Bolshy, thanks lance maddog and the sun. :oops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdRR2KxS6ZM

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:44 pm

nice recordings, catches the vibe and the poetry well

Return to “Reviews”