Fang Fest #1 2013

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Drax

Re: Fang Fest #1 2013

Postby Drax » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:16 pm

Skoll wrote:If they had been a little more spaced out, even on different weeks I'd bet both shows would have higher turnouts, better selections of bands and everyone would have come out with more money to cover their expenses.

I totally agree with this.

Ultimately, having two things like this is so much fucking better than none at all, so I'm not gonna complain. I do thoroughly miss the Punkfests at the Car Club though. Always a motley assortment of people, fuck all dull moments, when the weather was good sitting outside and missing bands you really looked forward to seeing wasn't even that much of a bummer, watching deros attempting sports on the field and suffering wardrobe malfunctions due to rotting clothing, people partaking in sloppy debauchery in the toilets, taking a shit on the hill behind the venue because for some fucktarded reason I thought there weren't any toilets at the Car Club, that racist guy and his mate who showed up one year just to provoke people into fighting them, which they were very tenacious about, and they definitely managed to get their asses kicked, but they just still wouldn't leave, so I think they ended up getting the bash from more than one group of people, and I think one of them ended up crying in front everyone, which just made it even more strange and depressing...

Ah, good times.

sinksinksink

Postby sinksinksink » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Fangfest fucking ruled this year!

With the two festivals i am personally stoked that there are over 50 punk(ish) genre bands in NZ managing to play the weekend and two sets of awesome organizers that sorted it. How fucking cool is that?

Punkfest in Wellington is over, that is the past now, seem like FangFest and NMTPF are gana be the labour weekend thing.
As a whole other solution to the fact we all love Wellington as middle ground, and we all still want to hang out with everyone all at once, as just an idea how bout some people organize a mega-ultimate-national fest in Wellington over Waitangi Weekend as well while it is still warm? Then we can show off all our shiney new bands we form from inspiration of the other fests. I realize this is a suggestion I can not action because I am committed to living in Auckland at the moment, but I'm sure the organizers from either centers wouldn't mind helping a bit or pointing people that want to start something like that in the right direction.

Highlights of FangFest for me: Fantails! Shitripper, Skaface-claw, Pcp Eagles, Pramcakes, Gina's Revenge, Playing in Future Theft, Melting Pot Massacre, Grrrlfriends, Whizz Kids laughing at everything, constantly having heaps of people to talk to, lying around on cross street in the sun.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Last time I talked to Ross, Punkfest was basically a venue issue. They didn't really want to have it at a bar, because it ruins the spirit of the weekend, and there wasn't anywhere appropriate in Wellington after the car club got all dolled up.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Yeah it was an issue with venues. I hope one day nz can have just ONE weekend where all my friends ALL over the country can be in the same place at the same night. Just for one measly weekend. Is that too much to ask for? Oh well, I'm definitely planning to be in chch next year. I hope some hamilton bands can make it down next time cause that would be fully sick.
Beredius wrote:What does DSW mean?

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Can anyone give us a run down on what J L Scumbag did on Friday?
Did he actually slug the owner of Whammy?
I was heaps looking forward to seeing that cunt.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Ahaha story time

donvito

Postby donvito » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:08 pm

i heard he having an old school bulldog ciggie up the front and got thrown out then got back again and did it again and... yih.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:11 pm

Jack, did the new bouncer honestly pay for you to get in?
fagets, right.

donvito

Postby donvito » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yep hahaha

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:32 pm

What a fucking good cunt
fagets, right.

donvito

Postby donvito » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:41 pm

The best.

The funny thing is he was being made to kick me out not even two hours later.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:11 pm

Two hours? Didn't know your attention span was that long, thought you just saw a few mins of Proton Beast. I wonder if the bouncer was dreaming of wiping the eternal smile off your face. :tohlc:
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

donvito

Postby donvito » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:19 pm

:o

Tom Anderson

Postby Tom Anderson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:01 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:Did he actually slug the owner of Whammy?

Had Rohan round the throat yelling "I'm gonna fucking kill you".

This was less than an hour after long discussions with him about being totally welcome as long as he paid and behaved.

Absolute idiot.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:02 pm

donvito wrote:The funny thing is he was being made to kick me out not even two hours later.

Poor investment return for him, I hope Hammerdown gave him his money back.
fagets, right.

dave-brown

Postby dave-brown » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:55 pm

.....and somewhere in a high rise apartment in new town, Ross and Lynn sit in adjacent swivel chairs, each stroking white furry cats with eye patches, staring upon New town through half drawn window shades..... simultaneously laughing manically they concurr, "Look at the incessant squabbling which has succumbed due to Punkfests demise, two major New Zealand cities squabbeling over the rights of a weekend, the punk scene is in turmoil, civil war between the islands is imminent, out plan is complete!"

.....and lower, deeper in the bowels of newtown, the manager of Newtown Newworld broods.... "I just dont understand, the sales of scrumpy and cheap dozens of beer has plummeted over the Labour weekend holiday these last three years....what the fuck is going on....."

...and in the wellington police station, the officers sit depressed and disapointed due to the lack of beatings they administered of the holiday weekend.

charlie1

Postby charlie1 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 pm

AHHHHhhh....Davey boi, how I miss you! What a beautiful little Anecdote.

I had a fucking Rad mean as Rungus, wastoid time. Thanks to everyone who had a hand in making this Fest so damn awesome and gave up time, and gear and worked it for free and for the love of having a party and bringing peeps together to play music . I think I managed to see every band play minus whoever played after Grrrlfriends on the Arvo show...mainly because i needed to have a nana nap from sleeping in the back of my hatchback the night before, pretty much everyone was awesome, goodtimes were had! I felt we played a pretty sweet set,
Gutted I couldnt watch Shitripper as I was setting up drum gear and this takes me ages.

Props, and If I hadn't of played this I would have gone down to Chch mainly because I have never made it ti NMPF down there, but stoked that FangFest could be an on going thing!!!!

yeah dudes!!!!
Last edited by charlie1 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm

dave-brown wrote:.....

:lol:
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

TimShadbolt

Postby TimShadbolt » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 am

dave-brown wrote:...and lower, deeper in the bowels of newtown, the manager of Newtown Newworld broods.... "I just dont understand, the sales of scrumpy and cheap dozens of beer has plummeted over the Labour weekend holiday these last three years....what the fuck is going on....."

:lol:

Return to “Reviews”