Fang Fest #1 2013

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Dead Kid

Fang Fest #1 2013

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:55 pm

Awesome way to do things, 20 min sets with no gaps is genius. Saw up to 27 acts and the long weekend is only half over.

My highlights of the 1st night were mr sterile Assembly and Skaface Claw, and both squeezed a few extra mins into their sets. Melting Pot Massacre was good too, great sense of humour, just sort out the headscarf wardrobe failfunction. Parents was good too, Wine Cellar couches come in handy when getting knocked out of the moshpit. Fireshark wasn't really my thing, but definitely bringing back the non-shit pop punk in a big way.

Saturday arvo was decent for a bunch of noise in a concrete box. The Cavemen are top notch rock 'n' roll. Grotty underwear hanging around on the mic stands made its way onto the frontman's head. Left a bit early, no sexpestuous gaytimes for me.

2nd night was as good as the 1st. D'rad Emcee was surprisingly good rap for someone fucking calling themselves D'rad Emcee. Proton Beast has expanded into a 3-piece and was heavy and psychedelic, kinda too much noise for Wine Cellar to handle but that made them sound more punx or something. Last 3 bands were a wicked way to finish. Hadn't seen Fantails before, good shit, concentrated more on jumping around than actually listening to the music. EZE Measles were punkcore as. I ascended into the dance zone for a while and got a smak on da mouf from an episode of flailing Hipster_Fejoa, but we #punkas so I'll cherish it. Was good to see The Bludgers again, last time feels like ages ago. They may be out of practice but sounded great regardless. Crowd had thinned a little bit, but still heaps of people getting into it, gotta be one of the more active crowds they've had up here.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

blastman

Re: Fang Fest #1 2013

Postby blastman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Dead Kid wrote:Awesome way to do things, 20 min sets with no gaps is genius.

Fucking great way to experience a shit tonne of bands. Chaosfest earlier this year was run exactly like this. This is how festivals should always run with set change-over times as short as possible.

My only gripe with whole festival is Wine Cellar PA not as decent and loud as Whammy's.
Also: Missed the AA show due to work. :(
Really wanted to check out Grrlfriendz.

Highlights for festival (in no order)
Parents (fucking AWESOME set!!!)
Shitripper: Best I've ever seen them play (and I've seen them countless times)
PCP Eagles: My highlight of the festival. 8)
Fantails: Been far too long seen I've seen them. Loved their set. Just wish they had played through the Whammy P.A. instead of Winecellar P.A. Probably see them again at Capital Chaos next Friday.

Hope Fang Fest happens again next Labour Weekend.

Good times.

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:14 pm

Dead Kid wrote: I ascended into the dance zone for a while and got a smak on da mouf from an episode of flailing Hipster_Fejoa, but we #punkas so I'll cherish it.

Welp - sorry, I thought you were saying that someone hit you in the face, I couldn't make out much of what anyone said in there >_<.

Had heaps of fun being an obnoxious dick up front, feeling a bit silly after slamming my elbow into a corner :explainittomelikeimfive:.

Did Proton Beast open for Earth or Boris? The band I thought they were was pretty meh, not sure if I have them confused with another band or it's just new material, but I was really digging them - seemed a lot 'noisier' than the generic stoner metal sound I was expecting. Band before PCP Eagles were rad, PCP were tight as always, first time seeing Shitripper - highlight of the night for me. Were Shitripper taking a dig at Melting Pot Massacre? I couldn't quite make out what they were saying.

Dead Kid wrote:_Fejoa

I should get a new username already

:baton:

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:18 am

Boris yep. Just my allergies-affected lips being prone to cracking, barely drew any blood though. Some dude dancing around with his drink tried to help by splashing it towards my face... Also had slight angioedema on the other side of my upper lip to double the fun.

Shitripper chap dedicated a song to Melting Pot Massacre and apologised for something he'd said previously I think. Surely the cause is working if the old hat is confused. :baton:

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 am

As much as this is cool, I hope it doesn't happen every year. It's hard enough putting on a festival in NZ without putting on two at the same time. Even though it sounds like both went swimmingly, north islanders should be less fucking lazy. There's a bunch of long weekends to choose from. Imagine if someone put another giant fest on during labour weekend during the punkfest years. People would be calling them obnoxious fucking dickheads.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:06 am

FC wrote:As much as this is cool, I hope it doesn't happen every year. It's hard enough putting on a festival in NZ without putting on two at the same time. Even though it sounds like both went swimmingly, north islanders should be less fucking lazy. There's a bunch of long weekends to choose from. Imagine if someone put another giant fest on during labour weekend during the punkfest years. People would be calling them obnoxious fucking dickheads.

Agreed, pick another weekend.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 am

(same)

but well done on putting on what sounds like a great buch of shoes, sorry for not coming out, I suck.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

mike

Postby mike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:50 am

thats final show for good for me time to move on
Last edited by mike on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:38 pm

With that kind of carry on maybe it won't be a problem next year.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

glenn

Postby glenn » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Had a dope time playing and attending, shout out to the organisers. First night ruled, only heard a song or 2 by Penny Dreadfuls but thought they'd improved heaps from last time I saw them. Mean Girls (fast becoming one of my favourite bands to see live), Parents, Skaface Claw and Malevolence ruled. Was keen on the daytime show but weather was too good so couldn't pass up getting the fuck outta the city for the day, soz gaiz. Second night show was dope once again, was pretty shmanged but have hazy memories of Fantails, Proton Beast (probably my biggest surprise of the fest), PCP Eagles, Shitripz and Bludgers being rad. Thought the whole setup of it was real good, bands actually being on time+short sets meant I got to check out all the bands I was hoping to and there always seemed to be a dece audience at each performance which made for way better vibes. Keen for this fest to become a regular thing, but yeah like some people have mentioned maybe on a different weekend so theres a good spread of festivals throughout the year.

Also saw a whole bunch of good shit I wanted to pick up at some of the stalls but couldn't cos broke/couldn't be fucked carrying it around for the night, if there's leftover stuff though let me know.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:47 pm

FC wrote: north islanders should be less fucking lazy.

Unless youre hitching and hiding in the bottom of a van on the ferry its pretty fucking expensive to make it from AK to christchurch bro. Not everybody in ak is a billionaire from Ponsonby.

I had a fucking mean time on the Saturday night. Caught up with so many rad cunts.
Bludgers ruled, me Norty, Shitty Andy, Gaz Grinder and Anna dominating the sing alongs.
Only band I didnt get down with on Saturday was trustpunks but thats because fender teles held at 90 degrees can eat it.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

mike

Postby mike » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:12 pm

wish hadnt played
Last edited by mike on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:54 pm

FC wrote:It's hard enough putting on a festival in NZ without putting on two at the same time.

It's not as if the South Island only has one major gig per year and that's it. A fair amount of other gigs down there would be worth travelling to as well, most of which would inevitably clash with other rad things happening up here. Bringing back Welly Punkfest would be the proper solution I guess.

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 pm

Am I right in thinking that bunch of smaller 'nevermind the punkfest' type gigs have been happening in the three major cities ever since it stopped, if so what's the difference apart from the fact that some of them got their shit together this time?

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:40 pm

yeah there's no problem with this.

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:03 pm

It seems that was the case the first year after Punkfest bit the dust, but last year Capital Chaos and the like were spread out, the dates didn't clash and I think this is for the better.
Christchurch Punkfest has been going for a few years now on the same date and the dates for this year were publicised before Fangfest was announced.
It's not like there is an infinite audience for this sort of thing and holding a competing festival is a bit stink, imho.

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:41 pm

It's not competing. I can't imagine one person who was prepared to go to chch who found out about fang fest and decided to do that instead. Also, look at the lineups. Look at the pictures of crowds at either show. I know I would be stoked to be at either one but fuckin plenty wouldn't.

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Definitely agree with Aidan et al. Especially this year when punkfest was announced so far in advanced. It meant a lot of people around the country (especially welly) were torn between where to go. It was my 1st chch punkfest this year and I'm glad I wasn't in fucking auckland haha! Bring on the review thread lets see some raucous pics n shit
Beredius wrote:What does DSW mean?

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:43 pm

nah I had a few convos in the past few weeks of "are you coming to punkfest?" "nah, i'm going to auckland" "oh.. haha, gutted bro"

Tom Anderson

Postby Tom Anderson » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks to everyone for coming along and all the bands who played making an awesome First Fang Fest!

We've literally just loaded out everything and it's been a long, long weekend filled with great bands and alot of fun. I mixed the lightning bolt shows at Whammy the two nights previous to FF so loading out today felt like I was moving house or something after almost a week in there…

All the bands ruled and were super respectful of times and gear, making it all run to time and mean everyone had a great crowd. With 30 bands that's quite a feat, so stoked that it all worked out so well. Lots of smiles and lots of catching up was a great time and lots more people than I expected. The support was great having so many people pumped on what we were doing and the healthy female mix both on stage and behind the scenes was awesome.

Cross St is a great venue and was cool to have that work so well and have people bring their kids there and kids bring their Parents. Blood Bags were the highlight for me... Tolley without a guitar slung round his ankles is intense.

Both evening shows were awesome fun and the mix of genres worked really well. Everyone having to keep to 20 mins meant it was super intense. Best Shitripper show I can remember and I've seen most of them over the last 6 years… Malevolence were brutal and relentless, Parents killed it playing Cellar, was stoked Fantails and Future Theft got such a great response, Melting Pot Massacre and D'Rad brought the politics and Mean Girls freaked out the trippers. BloodBox confused everyone in the best way and worked great closing the Fri night. Playing with PCP was a good release after running around so much, shot to Stu for flying over from Melbourne for it 2 hours before we played and then working the bar. Was hoping to play with Tourettes and Skaface over the weekend but too much work on leading up meant it didn't work out this time. Both their sets added heaps to the shows… but I loved every band's set.

Tim offering his services to do merch was much appreciated and made sat night a sea of new Missing Teeth Tshirts. Hammerdown was the man stepping up on the door and handling it for all the shows. Kerry did an awesome job on the poster and flyers and so did Sam for printing and putting them up and Justin for making up the programs. Mookie did the cool bones design we used. Thanks to Rohan for looking after Wine Cellar so Aidan and I could focus on Whammy and for having us all at both his venues 3 days in a row. MAINZ for the cross st PA, Tone Deaf for the entire backline for both Stages bar Matt Berrys bass cabs, Kate, Rhiannon and Caroline for the movies on sunday, everyone who ate the accompanying 13Kg of free chips (there's still 2kg in the Whammy big freeze) and Barbara at the Krd business association for help making that happen, Leoni and Luke from Radio NZ for documenting it, Simon from Coopers for giving us stock to help with bands riders and cheap beers for the Punx, anyone who travelled to it, probably some other people I've forgotten… everything hurts today.

Shot to CTS for doing what they do best and and Aidan for being the man with everything. Need a new excuse to go to Wine Cellar on a monday night now...

FC wrote:With that kind of carry on maybe it won't be a problem next year.

There was no problem. From all accounts both fests had great attendance and proved you can run two festivals on the same weekend at the other end of the country from each other. I'd say 95% of the people at Fang Fest would not have gone down to Chch. Not out of laziness but out of cost as Eddy pointed out and them being completely different gigs, lineups and vibes that might not interest them. It would of been great having a few other bands and yeah there was people not up here that were down there but this was organised for those who wouldn't or couldn't of gone down. And besides, you didn't go to either due to being in a different hemisphere :) It very well may be on a different weekend next year but there's a reason Labour Weekend works well for this kind of thing. I've played many big gigs in AK over labour weekends throughout the years that meant I couldn't go to Punkfest for some days (The Punky Reggae Parties being one) and I understand the world kept on turning. MDF and ScumFest are both on the same time every year...

Agnes wrote:It's not like there is an infinite audience for this sort of thing and holding a competing festival is a bit stink, imho.

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:It's not competing. I can't imagine one person who was prepared to go to chch who found out about fang fest and decided to do that instead. Also, look at the lineups. Look at the pictures of crowds at either show. I know I would be stoked to be at either one but fuckin plenty wouldn't.

Stink you and some others feel this was competing bro but I really feel it wasn't, it was for those of us up here in the North Island, and was a completely different beast. The fact both happened and succeeded shows what a healthy punk scene there can be. We'll talk next year and sort it out.

There's definitely a few things we learnt and will do bigger and better next year but as a first attempt at doing something like this Fang Fest totally ruled. Thanks again to everyone for making such a fun weekend.
Last edited by Tom Anderson on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 pm

Flying is actually fairly cheap if you book in advance. How do you think people in the south come up? In the first year there were three gigs, in wellies ak and chch, but the other two disappeared after one year because they were either shitty (ak) or the venues weren't great (wellies). Christchurch fortunately came through for the third time this year and has managed to be consistantly good, I would say in the spirit of the old punkfest. DIY, BYO, good times hanging out. This sounds like a really great festival, but it's not punkfest, and I would say that NMTPunkfest is about as close as you can get.

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:32 pm

no point dwelling on the past is there? from the perspective of a lazy Aucklander, if Fang Fest wasn't on I probably would have done jack shit all weekend.
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:33 pm

Bro, that statement is not for events that happened two days ago.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 pm

from now on only one punk related show to be performed nationwide in new zealand on long weekends. aucklanders are to travel to christchurch without argument.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:It's not competing. I can't imagine one person who was prepared to go to chch who found out about fang fest and decided to do that instead. Also, look at the lineups. Look at the pictures of crowds at either show. I know I would be stoked to be at either one but fuckin plenty wouldn't.

Intentional or not I felt it kind of was though....I found it particularly frustrating. I would have liked to see plenty of the bands at Fang Fest (some of whom I thought would end up on the Chch bill) but I was confirmed in 2 bands for the Chch punkfest very early on and by the time the Fang Fest one was announced I would have felt like a total rude dickslapper for ditching my bandmates for a trip up north. Both fests looked like they were great fun with some excellent bands but the photos from both fests looked like there were a tad less in attendance than would usually be at festivals of that nature. Maybe they should be combined with a refined lineup? It's just silly having 2 on the same weekend...having them combined creates more solidarity I thought. I would have loved to see Skaface, Mr.Sterile, PCP Eagles, Future Theft, Malevolence, Fantails just to name a few...

Solutions/ideas:
1. Advertise early on and delegate between organisers if there are 2 fests clashing on the one weekend. The earlier shit is announced the earlier shit can be resolved.
2. If it is combining the 2 fests into 1 have it at a more central location. Where is the best central hub? Welly? Problem finding a venue?....the earlier you look the earlier something pops up? Even then I don't see the problem with Aucklanders finding it hard getting to Chch...flights are pretty cheap if you book em a few months early as Aidan said.
3. If there's more people involved/in attendance it means more cool shit at stalls, more music/noise, more people talking, more party more everything...
4. Just have a fucking barbeque in Hastings...

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:39 pm

mmmm....good crack wrote:from now on only one punk related show to be performed nationwide in new zealand on long weekends. aucklanders are to travel to christchurch without argument.

hahaha :lol:

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm

It's hard enough getting Aucklanders to travel outside of Auckland...

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:43 pm

i reckon just keep the auckland fest as local bands only and everyone else can go to christchurch. i know its *not* punkfest but fuck, the vibes/partys/people/etc made it feel pretty, pretty damn close.

Antiseptic

Postby Antiseptic » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:44 pm

FC wrote:It's hard enough getting Aucklanders to travel outside of Auckland...

na its easy as bro all you need is heaps of cash :tohlc: :tohlc:

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:51 pm

PS: Checked for the next long weekend, which is queens birthday, and on airnz its $69 each way. More than travelling to whammy bar, but not exactly breaking the bank. Shittier times, but even cheaper on jetstar, $55 each way.

Return to “Reviews”