Destroy Napier 1-6-13

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
mark tyler

Destroy Napier 1-6-13

Postby mark tyler » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:42 am

We left Wellington on Friday and it was my first trip over the Rimutakas into the Wairarapa, so everything was a buzz to me, i love travelling through new territory. Stayed the night at Pahiatua, and Malc and I had slight intentions of heading through to Palmy to attend the Metal gig, but we were semi=pissed by the time we'd finished dinner so we carried on with that caper instead.
Got up the next morning and Dying Of The Light and LePestilence had stayed after arriving late from Palmy, so it was real good to catch up with those chaps, even if they are slimey greasy metalheads.
Hit the road and it was overcast and slightly moist, but we could see all this blue sky up yonder, and sure enough when we hit Hawkes Bay there were no clouds and no wind and we were tra la la, skippety skip, hap hap happy. Turned the journey into a slow meander but still arrived in Napier mid-arvo, sussed the venue, hit the bottlestore (Canterbury Cream $9.99 a bottle, very chuffed), parked the van by the beach, wined and dined at an Italian restaurant, drank more alcohol, then hit the Cabana.
Was surprised but stoked to see how many people i knew there, always a good thing, plus all the new people i met like Matt and Julia and G and Burn and Jesse Skumbag, pissed off his nut on homebrew cider made by that other geezer whose name i can't remember. So many new faces, so little recollection of names.
Brilliant lineup, and as usual, there was nothing that i didn't enjoy, so i'll attempt to give a brief and hopefully not too tongue-in-trouser overview:
Myth Of Democracy: missed your set Matt, sincere apologies, hate missing bands but this time i did.
The Remains: entertaining set with brother and sister up the front, warmed up the punters nicely, great to see a band out of Gisborne.
Fantails: female trio from Wellington that tore it up and showed how good they're gonna actually become. Great response.
Future Theft: good mix of male/female vocals fronting some tight, fast-paced sound that never let up.
Methadonnas: its no secret i'm a fan of this 2-piece out of Palmy and have been lucky enough to see them 4 or 5 times in the last few months, improved so much in that time, kicked arse.
Diamond Doll: super-impressed with this band from Napier, hadn't even heard of them before. Been thrashing their CD since. Bit of a groupie already.
PCP Eagles: another tight, skill-laden and energetic set from a bunch of hard-working good people that are passionate about what they're doing. Say no more.
Shitripper: A blisteringly powerful set of tight as fuck hardcore that pumped everyone right up. Relentless intensity.
Generation Dead: rapt that these guys ended up playing after they'd pulled out a day or two before, and they certainly didn't disappoint with catchy singalong Punk Rock that finished the night nicely for everyone. Definitely a band on the up and up.
If these bands are in a different order to the one they played, then thats cos i was slightly out of order with a head full of alcohol, slightly mortified the next day with my expenditure.
There was an after-party on up the road, but Jennie ushered me back to the van which was highly unusual as we'd normally be there till the bitter end, but was thankful for it when i woke up in the morning feeling surprisingly perky. Walked down the main street for some breakfast and sat down with a good crew from the night before, including a haggard looking Kitt who'd taken a wrong turn when leaving the party and ended up lost down by the port for about 3 hours, hahahaha.
Before leaving town me and Jennie hired a spa and sat there all warm and kosher with a view of the ocean and i was living the fucken dream. Good times. And sure enough when we left town it was warm and sunny until we left Hawkes Bay and entered the doom and gloom and dodgy weather, although it was cool to go through the Manawatu Gorge again for the first time in 25 years.
Cheers to Matt for organising, The bands for playing, all the good people we met and partied with, and Napier for turning on the good times. Hopefully this will become an ever-growing annual event. See you next year.

Bolshy McBard (deep south representative)
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Mattsturbate

Re: Destroy Napier 1-6-13

Postby Mattsturbate » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey Mark thanks for reviewing mate, been meaning to but been feeling lazy haha. Good to meet ya! Thanks again to everyone who made the effort to attend or play, show was definitely a success so will be doing again next year, maybe even bigger and better! Also glad you enjoyed the set, usually we're not so messy and drunk haha

LePestilence

Postby LePestilence » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:05 am

mark tyler wrote:Got up the next morning and Dying Of The Light and LePestilence had stayed after arriving late from Palmy, so it was real good to catch up with those chaps, even if they are slimey greasy metalheads.)

Slimey greasy metalhead is slighty better than neanderthal shaved headed knuckledragger - but only minimally...

Thanks as fuck for writing us into your review - Masterton Mongol Metalfest was off the chain on the Saturday

The bands played in 'The hall of fucking champions' which was little better than the public bar at the T.A.B end with heaps of pictures of Wairarapas shearing legends on the walls
Image + Image= Image

After assessing all the damage first hand & entailing & juggling all possible vectors curves & outputs I'll have to declare you can all still go & get fucked!

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:06 am

What was the response like from the locals? Did many turn up?
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

LePestilence

Postby LePestilence » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:40 am

^ There was a pretty good mix of Locals Vs Wellington & other lower Nth Island hoons - Even a few from Auckland aswell

Think there was around 100 paying punters & 8 bands worth of musos & associated 'I'm on the door' type scum.

Blardy good night from what I remember!
Image + Image= Image

After assessing all the damage first hand & entailing & juggling all possible vectors curves & outputs I'll have to declare you can all still go & get fucked!

Mattsturbate

Postby Mattsturbate » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:56 am

LePestilence wrote:^ There was a pretty good mix of Locals Vs Wellington & other lower Nth Island hoons - Even a few from Auckland aswell

Think there was around 100 paying punters & 8 bands worth of musos & associated 'I'm on the door' type scum.

Blardy good night from what I remember!

haha I could say exactly the same about the Napier gig!

Whitey

Postby Whitey » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:47 pm

Really good show all around. Was well surprised at the turn out, was expecting to see a handful of people and band members. Well done lads, looking forward to the next one. Hopefully we'll be able to play next time round ;)

mark tyler wrote:There was an after-party on up the road, but Jennie ushered me back to the van which was highly unusual as we'd normally be there till the bitter end, but was thankful for it when i woke up in the morning feeling surprisingly perky

What the fuck do you mean you woke up perky. You looked like shit when I saw you at the coffee shop and you'd lost your phone hahaha.
Good seeing you bud.
BigBadBazza wrote:keep your shit life experiences for facebook status updates

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Whitey wrote:What the fuck do you mean you woke up perky. You looked like shit when I saw you at the coffee shop and you'd lost your phone hahaha.

hahahaha, Bolshy gets called out on that one! Lets just say "perkier than i expected to be", which in reality wasn't very perky at all. When i used your phone, Jennie heard my one ringing faintly in the van, and found it in the rubbish bin, hahaha, what the fuck. Maybe i went all anti-system, anti-technology in my drunken state and decide to go all caveman on it.
Was good to see you again too Whitey, first head i saw and spoke to at the gig, which was real cool. Cheers and beers.

LePestilence

Postby LePestilence » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am

mark tyler wrote:
Maybe i went all anti-system, anti-technology in my drunken state and decide to go all caveman on it.

What in the fuck - Your tinfoil hat's in the mail Mulder
Image + Image= Image

Return to “Reviews”