Buzzcocks - Chch

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated

Buzzcocks - Chch

Postby Tartanperil » Thu May 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Fucking loved it.

Despite them being 100 years old they still had plenty of punk energy :lol:

And though I reckon they could give some good banter about their songs they belted tracks after track (in the good way, not the we-want-to-get-the-fuck-home way).

Played all their hits and a few tracks I hadn't heard, including some extended versions. Loved all of them.

The bass amp died during a track and I didn't even notice until the techs were frantically trying to get it going. The rest of the band keep on going like champions and I was thinking surprisingly they don't need the bass. Of coutrse once it was up and going again (after a tanty that nearly saw the bass player smash the amp :lol: ), yeah, bass is indeed essential to the Buzzcocks sound.

Interesting to see Chch folk who want a good night of moshing but leave it until the last couple of songs to get it going. And I though that was a Dunedin thing.

Dux Live - not sure if I like or hate it. Beers are certainly priced to make pre-loading essential. And the lack of tables made it crap place to hang out at after the gig.

old school punk

Re: Buzzcocks - Chch

Postby old school punk » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Wish i couldve made it and yeah dux live sux
Any touring bands coming down south if you need flyers put up i can do it [free]

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Thu May 02, 2013 10:59 pm

what a couple of fussy old gits. Were you expecting the Dux to provide limp-wristed lily-white flunkies poncing around with trays of gay-gordon margeritas so you faggots weren't inconvenienced by having to go to the bar, thereby interrupting your lisp-laden whispering convention? You cunts should stick to your late-night licking-the-pew frenzy at your favourite venue, the Mataura church.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Postby Tartanperil » Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 pm

Yeah margaritas would have been great Mark. Mind you at the price for their tiny beers I'd probably need a mortgage for a margarita.

I did actually like the Southerly blowing through the open garage door right beside the stage, perfect for keeping unfit fat tossers like me cool while dancing :lol:

George, it's a date. Though I doubt we'll get Jones to ponce around with trays of margaritas before the Fantails :lol:

Postby akaxo » Fri May 03, 2013 3:23 am

completely forgot about this, it went right under my radar. bugger.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri May 03, 2013 7:50 am

Wrong end of the country, damnit :(
Uncinia vector

Postby UNIT » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 am

They were great in Auckland. Best shoe i've been to in ages. Steve Diggle is the man.

Postby Drax » Sat May 04, 2013 4:56 pm

Agree with James, they fucking ruled in Auckland. Pete Shelley's voice sounds like it hasn't aged a day.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sat May 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Wouldn't have otherwise bothered to see them a 2nd time, but they played the Dig It Up fest in Melbourne and were probably even better than last time. They punched out a string of energetic, catchy hits in the 2nd half of the set. Made me think it would've been a bit tedious standing through the 1st half, so the fact I was relaxing watching them from the balcony probably contributed to my enjoyment. 8)
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Postby Craig_Bastard » Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 pm

The bouncers at the NP show were idiots, one girl tried to calm people down then sulked the rest of the night when they wouldnt, oh the raucus antics of 50 year old punkers! the only aggro or fight I saw was caused BY the bouncers, I don't think they had done many Rock n Roll shows before, other than that the night was awesome!

Good catching up with heaps of old friends!

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

Postby NOIDEAWOTEVER » Sun May 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Auckland ruled. Almost as good as the St James show a few years back, I also saw them at The Studio when they played the first two lp's back to back but I enjoyed this set list more- all the classics were there and they looked like they were really still enjoying playing the songs. That bass player was a weird cunt though, he looked really nervous and stiff.

Pics by Simon Kay

Return to “Reviews”