GBH in NZ

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
mike

GBH in NZ

Postby mike » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:38 pm

amazed there is no review for this. Was pretty cool watching GBH in Auckland hearing the old classics live at Kings Arms kept having almost pinch myself to believe it was GBH in front of me. Didnt help having the super tall bouncer stand in front of me at times maybe he was a fan but in reality he looked a bit alarmed at the crowd dancing judging by some of his facial expressions. Was great to see Gripper finally play Auckland after a few years of playing around the South Island and the occasion Wellington show and one NP gig as well. Finishing their set with Iron Fist by Motorhead was a surprise and Scotts guitaring in particular the lead in Iron Fist was very well done.

I missed Kaos & Riot sorry boys not intentionally will see yas again. Was hardcase getting out of my car walking down the road towards KA and Radford from Sticky Filth was hiding behind a lampost and jumped out trying to scare me as a joke. Walked with Craig and the recently fixed up Chris toward the door of of KA. Made the joke of headbutting cars to him aint a good idea to Chris which he laughed at, what else could I say!!. Sad part of the night, was the fact the whole lineup of Sticky Filth was in the audience and they didnt get to play. Good to see they turned up and that Chris looks and sounds like he will back playing again.

GBH sounded great perhaps the bass was slightly loud which clouded out some of the guitar melodies but it still sounded big, fast and aggressive, wish they played a few more songs off the latest album was one regret, but with a back catalogue like theirs, there was a lot to choose from. Pretty sure they did a couple of Stooges covers as well I Got A Right and I think I heard Search & Destroy in there too could be wrong about that. Colin put on a good show, at one stage did some weird thing pushing the bottom of the microphone stand against the stage roof, while seeming to be off in a slight trance on his face temporarily was he thinking about being strange for him being on the opposite side of the globe who knows

Seemed like a decent sized turnout was hard to walk to the bar is an indication, considering I knew of quite a few faces that could have been there that were absent but these are lean times, being a Thursday would have had an impact as well. Anyway cheers for letting us see another great English Punk band on these shores

ghetto ninja

Re: GBH in NZ

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:41 pm

What I managed to catch was awesome. It was like a fucking old boys convention though, not often I feel young at shows these days. Cheers for the smoke Mike, good cunt as.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

xBOSSx

Postby xBOSSx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:16 pm

too long. if this were a song, itd be like, fukn prog rock or some fucking shit.

punkas mate, therefore reviews must be short k. thx. fuck.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wuB_IQVPlg[/youtube]

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm

^^^ Youve become quite annoying.
fagets, right.

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:18 pm

xBOSSx wrote:too long. if this were a song, itd be like, fukn prog rock or some fucking shit.

punkas mate, therefore reviews must be short k. thx. fuck.

you're taking the piss eh Jack? if you are, its not funny. if you're not, then fuck up and fuck off.

Enjoyed that review Mike, good to see someone has put one up, woulda fkn loved to have seen Gripper play in Auckland. Also good to hear that Chris Snowden is recovering well and even able to attend the show.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

pitts

Postby pitts » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Wellington show went off. GBH were friendly as fuck, crowd was missing a few faces but was a big turnout. Gripper and sthu were sweet. I played, drank, danced. gotta be one of the top shows this year.

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:18 pm

i like mikes reviews, really give a sense of being there as he reviews more than just bands.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

deathbyejaculation

Postby deathbyejaculation » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:21 pm

pitts wrote:Wellington show went off. GBH were friendly as fuck, crowd was missing a few faces but was a big turnout. Gripper and sthu were sweet. I played, drank, danced. gotta be one of the top shows this year.

Best show this year
Former Child Star wrote:show stolen by punchy the party girl

xBOSSx

Postby xBOSSx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:32 pm

my name isn't jack

xBOSSx

Postby xBOSSx » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:54 pm

unless you thought i was jeff jack, cause my last name is jack, cause my name is jeff jack

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:56 pm

yawn
fagets, right.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:29 pm

GBH was awesome in Akld. Liked when Colin said "I'm over 27 years of age", kinda rang true since the band still has the energy and sound after all these years. Having the original singer or a singer that gives a band its distinct sound makes a big difference I reckon.

Good to finally see Gripper too, great stage presence. Kaos and Riot was alright, perhaps seen em play better.

Still enjoying all these old British punk bands, keep em coming!
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

WestyRocker

Postby WestyRocker » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:28 am

Heya everyone (new Member alert) G.B.H was an awesome Gig thanks to the Promoter for bringing the boys down here was great to finally meet and see them ,nothing like an old Punk band to bring out some of the faces you ha,vent seen since the last old band to come out for me that was The Anti Nowhere Leauge.
Was shocked to hear of Chris,s accindent from Sticky Filth hope your on the mend now mate and are hanging out to see you guys again.

Lentil

Postby Lentil » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:55 am

Thanks Tim for bringing them over, I had a great time at the Welly gig, good for catch ups with old farts too.

Welcome to Punkas WestyRocker :)

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:17 am

fuck yeah awesome night was had down here, GBH lived up to expectations and more.

Holocaust were the best i've seen them, enjoyed the last four or so songs i caught, kinda wish we'd got there a bit earlier to have seen more. good shit.

Abortion Bucket aren't really my thing so no comment ha.

Conniption kicked arse, first time i've seen them sober so was actually able to appreciate them haha, good crusty grind, nice.

GBH were outstanding, played so many of the old classics was awesome to hear. Pretty good for a bunch of old cunts ha. this gig is gonna rate up there as one of the best i've seen. Only song i really wanted to hear but didn't was slut but with so many songs to pick from can't expect to get them all. But they played sick boy so all good, a long and comprehensive set i thought, stoked. Good sized crowd, al's bar is such a good venue, love it. Al's intros for GBH and conniption were classic.

Big thanks to the good cunt who sorted this tour and all the people who put effort in to make it happen, even the dodgy old fella they had driving them around down here who got shit from random girls in the crowd for his tats haha, much appreciated everyone.

And good to meet another punk rocker who loves his chickens too :wink:

We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:20 am

oh yeah and fucking great finale to it all with a cover of the only really good clash song there is, WHITE RIOT!!

Hipster_Faggot

Postby Hipster_Faggot » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:54 am

Got there around 11 as a song finished, asked the bouncer if there were door sales "nah show's finished bro", FFFFFUUUU. Dunno if he was being a dick or if there were just no door sales but shit cunt as.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 pm

One of the bouncers in Akld was a bit uppity, looked like he decided to chuck out whoever was having the most fun towards the end there. Probably the same guy who kept standing in front of Mike.
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:05 pm

al's bar is great on that front, one guy standing up on the stage who was smiling and keeping an eye on everything but not phased at all by crazy dancing and people getting thrown around, just a look of vague concern at hanging from the rafters but even that was all good

Denim Druid

Postby Denim Druid » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Wellington show was sweet as sorry we missed some of your set Graig, we got to see you up there though hope you guys had a good one at the White Hart, Black Lick i missed gasbagging & catching up, Gripper good stuff havn't seen them since the League 07 good all round set if you ever get the inclination to play Palmy North that would be sweet. GBH like being kicked in the head & brought back to life by your sex siren, full on energy (Trendwhore worded perfectly on the night now i forgot his words lol) played a great selection from 30 years 'No Survivors' one of my personnel favourites was a stand out amongst a blinding set & finishing with "White Riot' was sweet. Thanks Tim for another shit ripping night your a fucking legend yep gig of the year mate. As for the stink cunts who ran the roof to try/did get in without paying it's not big or clever this is not a multi million $ outfit where it doesn't matter that's money out of the kitty no money in the kitty means no more great bands coming out & we all loose the rest of us have to save up & make choices/sacrifices to get to show's. :drinking:

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Such a good night, got fucking ripped. GBH were top notch.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Mattsturbate

Postby Mattsturbate » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Dead Kid wrote:One of the bouncers in Akld was a bit uppity, looked like he decided to chuck out whoever was having the most fun towards the end there. Probably the same guy who kept standing in front of Mike.

yeah thats the dude- what a cunt. missed the end coz of that wanker

Lummoxgrinder

Postby Lummoxgrinder » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:58 pm

CHCH was an awesome show! Drunkest I've been for ages. Wasn't fun driving home today haha.

GBH had so much energy and were such awesome doods. Crowd was pretty big too. Cheers Tim for sorting this one out!

If you missed out then it sucks to be you. It was farking great!

daggyville dave

Postby daggyville dave » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 pm

KILLER GIG - so fast & so fuckin' LOUD !
GBH sure delivered the goods ....
A BIG THANKS to Tim of Punk Rock Road Trips for putting them on.

My usual hangover preventions failed badly on this occasion - I would have welcomed a mercy killing the next day....
But was a small price to pay - I didn't need those few million braincells anyhow.
Daggyville Dave

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:02 am

Big up's to Tim, GBH were fucking kick-ass! I know what you mean when you say you had to pinch yourself Mike :lol: bit of a mind-fuck that a band that awesome decided to cruise down to NZ.

The energy never left the music and it certainly didn't leave the GBH boys, fuck I had a mean night!
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:20 am

I was talking to someone who looked they had just hit twenty and knew two GBH songs before going in and afterwards they declared it the best 90 minutes of their life. I felt much and the same way and only really knew the albums, Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne and City Baby Attacked by Rats thanks to the days of double cassette albums so personally I was rapt so much of their set was taken from those albums. Colin has to be one of the best frontmen ever.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

martyrdamn

Postby martyrdamn » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:44 am

Christchurch show was rad, one of the best i've seen Conniption, plus GBH were real mean - like everyone said, dude is a great front man. Only downer was the jabroni cops. Thanks for putting this on Tim! Look forward to the next one.

pitts

Postby pitts » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:24 am

For about 5 yrs or so, the only tape I had in my ute's tape deck was GBH the Clay years. My apprentice at the time asked if I had any thing else to listen to, i said if ya don't like it drive yourself to work motherfucker :fist: :drinking: (rain day)

deathbyejaculation

Postby deathbyejaculation » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Has the setlist from Welly, heyull yeyuh
Former Child Star wrote:show stolen by punchy the party girl

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Post it for those of us with cloudy memories.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

Return to “Reviews”