Dick Dynamite's Holiday Reviews

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Dick Dynamite

Dick Dynamite's Holiday Reviews

Postby Dick Dynamite » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:41 am

Cathay Pacific vegan meals - better than anticipated/10

Tokyo Subway - much easier to use than anticipated/10. Takes a fuckload of time to get from narita airport to asakusa though.

Ghibli Studios Museum - Fuckin cool/10. Very crazy sweet animation machines and shit, included ticket to a little 15 min movie etc. Love the intimate and tangible feel the place has; things aint behind glass or anything.

Hot black coffee and big fuck off cans of Asahi Super Dry from vending machines - 10/10.

Will add more shit when I go to shows. Gonna do some punk gigs this week and catching some local psychobilly on friday :D Then its guana batz and DAG in Camden next week. Yeeehaw.

cirE

Re: Dick Dynamite's Holiday Reviews

Postby cirE » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:17 am

Dick Dynamite wrote:Ghibli Studios Museum - Fuckin cool/10. Very crazy sweet animation machines and shit, included ticket to a little 15 min movie etc. Love the intimate and tangible feel the place has; things aint behind glass or anything.

omg jealous :D buy some laputa or ponyo merc PLZ
Future Shock wrote:freudian slip, went downa likea sack o potatoes

0.21 6.78 3.31

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 am

In Asakusa, Senso-Ji is pretty cool to wander around, even in the night.

Worth a wander around Ginza at night, too, to see all the people who dress up in their expensive best...to go shopping. Akihabara is crazy, too.

meatmurder

Postby meatmurder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:29 am

Buy sum school girl undies au!

boyo

Postby boyo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 pm

Dick Dynamite wrote:Will add more shit when I go to shows. Gonna do some punk gigs this week and catching some local psychobilly on friday :D Then its guana batz and DAG in Camden next week. Yeeehaw.

Luckycunt, i really wanted to go to that one. When do you get back?

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Mid Jan.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 pm

So night before last I tried to make it to a punk gig in Shijuku.

Google Translate: -999/10
Live House Wall: Never managed to find it/10

Heh.

BUUUUT. Last night we went to Moonstep and saw a buncha bands. Turns out although tokyogigguide.com doesn't really list any/many gigs, it at least has english instructions no how to find all the venues :P Google translate DOES NOT let one find anywhere.

Eight bands, two stages, had a proper stage with lighting rig and big PA downstairs, but was mostly cheesy pop-punk down there, while upstage there was a mentally eclectic lineup through a little vocal PA, mostly only like a dozen people watching each band - eerily similar to the same sorta show in NZ :P Some sweet noise-core/cow-punk/spoken-word screamo?

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:16 pm

Dick Dynamite wrote:Live House Wall: Never managed to find it/10

http://www.livehouse-wall.com/wall/flame.html

Looks pretty easy to me. Just match the strange symbols? :P 2 blocks in some direction from some railway station somewhere in Japan...
General Mutante wrote:"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:06 pm

Other easy way to find places is just to type the name into google maps and then get directions from the nearest station. I never got lost thanks to google maps.
Hola if you see EZB/Alex, he's there currently too :P
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

Brinn

Postby Brinn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:20 am

Dick Dynamite wrote:Google Translate: -999/10

Yeah, I tried using it to check if I'd written something right once. It translated something about a good view being able to see the river to 'crocodiles are the absence of view'. Complete fail lol. It can translate a couple of words at most... anything else and it's just weird.

E Z B

Postby E Z B » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Haha just checked this!
Im looking for that link someone posted with all the venues on it ?
Anyone know the one im talking about?
Hopefully we can make it to a show while were here!

edit. NB found it!

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:23 am

Am in England now, last night in the country was the best one.

We caught one act of a Kabuki performance. It was as weird as I expected :P

Then we caught the train, bought a sixpack of Asahi and sheltered from the rain playing mario bros until the gig at 11pm.

Lots of friendly people, way higher percentage of english speakers than elsewhere too. UFO Club is a sweet little venue, dim red lighting, 60s decor. Underneath a family-mart so people buy beer from in there and drink on the street. Took me ages to work out there wasn't a queue in the toilet, cats were just smoking up.

First band were a surfy/rockabilly outfit with a sweet singer guitarist backed by 3 chicks with kill bill crazy 88 masks and cheesy grins. Last song peaked with a sin-wave-generator solo :P

Think the next band was the Ed Woods. DoubleBassist/singer ended up stripping to his batman undies, soaping up and sliding around on the floor.

Somewhere nextish the Cracks played. Fast heavy evil psychobilly, considering the crowd was about 60-70 people their makeup was extremely pro looking, latex zombie face shit going on. Participated in some crack up Japanese wrecking.

Few other bands, I drank quite a bit and sculled back a liter carton of black coffee from the family mart so its all in a caffiene-booze haze. There was a street punk band dressed as undead Droogies who had lead guitar, rhythm guitar, and... midi converter synth guitar :P

Choice night.

geneterror
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:20 am

Dick Dynamite wrote:Ghibli Studios Museum - Fuckin cool/10. Very crazy sweet animation machines and shit, included ticket to a little 15 min movie etc. Love the intimate and tangible feel the place has; things aint behind glass or anything.

Fuck bands, I am extremely jealous of this!

loucke = shit

Postby loucke = shit » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 pm

sounds fucking rad.

hopefully I will see ya back in NZ in January. Keen to hear more/all.
Drop out of school, and get a drug habit.

sick cunt

Postby sick cunt » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Yes i am soo very jelouse too,d.a.g and guana bats..what a bastard!

Laser Wookie

Postby Laser Wookie » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Aw man we need more reviews of mean shows, show us some love bro
Straight Down The Pub

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:21 am

Was kinda ages ago now but...

Made it to London, drank cider in a park and had a decent kebab. Then we got to the 'relentless' garage (called so only because they're sponsored by the relentless energy drink apparently.) Just across the road from the venue got accosted by some old homeless-looking cunt. Turned out he was Sparky from Demented Are Go.

Coffin Nails were good, pretty low energy from the crowd though (early as fuck start - had to be out by 11pm cause there was some dance shit afterwards.)

Really speedy changeover, had just enough time to grab a drink before DAG came on. Learned that you can't expect to drink your whole pint too near a wrecking pit :P Got a little soaked in beer before I realised I had to scull it quick. Although equally ridiculous, the bald, tattooed old cunts standing around punching one-another was a little more intimidating than the tiny Japanese guys at the last show given that most of them were both a foot taller AND a foot wider than me :P

Very friendly though, and Demented put on a great show, very tight and good sound despite rumors to the contrary.

And then Guana Batz were fucking brilliant. Played an epic set, lots of oldies, singalongs aplenty, dudes can still rock. King Rat as the final encore.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:23 am

Went up to Manchester to see the Caravans and Luna Vegas.

Venue called Satan's Hollow. Really awesome decor - helled up everywhere, waxy dripping pillars with embedded human faces, dungeony stone floors and walls, giant Satan over the DJ booth and a circular stage right in the middle.

Only complaint would be that the stage in the middle seemed to confuse the audience and left the whole thing quite low energy.

Was a dirty garagy kinda band first, alright but nothing special (ie boring).

Next was Luna Vegas - very fast, quite batmobiley but I definately heard a bit of Os Catalepticos in there, particularly the bass.

Caravans up last, put on a great show, bassist pulling out the tricks despite showing up on crutches, Neo-rockabilly that crosses over with psycho a fair bit, choice band.

Music inbwtween and after was tops too, good djs :P

And NOOOW we're in amsterdam.

sick cunt

Postby sick cunt » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:19 pm

I cant even keep reading this thread im to jelouse,sux how ya have to spend a shit load of money and go across the world to even see one big psychobilly band
p.s i heard the mushrooms are good in amstradam

szamo

Postby szamo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:49 pm

Sounds cool, hook us up with some shows over there. :drinking:

Me and chris started an awesome new band while you've been away check us out www.myspace.com/wishyouwerebeerz

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 am

Wish you were beers is rad :P

In London last week, cheers to Chris (ala coffee rage etc) and squatmates for the couch :D

On thurs went and saw a free show. Short Sharp Shock and White Wizzard (who were an LA PowerMetal group woooo!)

Pretty choice, SSS were fucking on form, had a circle-pit musical chairs comp which was epic. And chris won it. White Wizzard were pretty radical, although missing a bassist who'd concussed himself somehow.

Return to “Reviews”