The Specials in Auckland

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Ice-P

The Specials in Auckland

Postby Ice-P » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:07 pm

Day starts and 9am when Ice gets up to score his general admission ticket. It was going to be the dance floor or nothing from the start, stoked on the last-minute hook-ups. Around 2pm we hit Real Groovy and meet Neville Staple and Drew the saxophonist. We then hit the Thirsty Dog and get on the piss with all the skins, rudies and the occasional punk rocker. Some time after dark, the party bus takes us to the gig, the crowd is incredibly jolly. Ice chills with the bad boys and girls at the back for the ride.

There is no support act, the opening music is provided by a DJ. The band plays a fantastic, tight set with a stark contrast between Terry Hall's sour face and Neville Staple's manic energy. Neville hands Ice's mate his Ben Sherman shirt, possibly after recognising him in the crowd. Basically every Specials hit (and famous cover) is busted out, including "Ghost Town", "The Man At The C&A", "Hey Little Rich Girl", "Night Club", "Stereotype", "Monkey Man", "Rudy A Message To You", "Long Shot Kick De Bucket", "Liquidator", "Skinhead Moonstomp" and more.

Most fun had in just about forever, 11/10 (would've been a 12/10 if they had organic beer).
Last edited by Ice-P on Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cirE wrote:too many weak cunts getting all worked up over some text and pixels on the god damn internet

Rude Mike

Re: The Specials in Auckland

Postby Rude Mike » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:10 pm

sounded awesome, went to the pre-party at thirsty dog, had a good time, i would've tried to get in but i had no way of getting there since i hadn't booked onto the party bus :evil:
PILLAGE - http://www.myspace.com/pillagegppvt
Thrashing grinding powerviolence coming straight at you at the speed of death.

Ice-P

Postby Ice-P » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Rude Mike wrote:sounded awesome, went to the pre-party at thirsty dog, had a good time, i would've tried to get in but i had no way of getting there since i hadn't booked onto the party bus :evil:

Should've walked, it ain't that far and a couple of the lads got given free tickets outside the venue.
cirE wrote:too many weak cunts getting all worked up over some text and pixels on the god damn internet

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:34 pm

did they play 'soldering'?
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:35 pm

yeah jiddy told me about him and ben getting given some tickets (so fucking envious) it was in greenlane wasn't it? i was pretty confused when people started getting on the bus so i just said fuck it.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:03 pm

had a fucking rad night, was bummed they didn't play their pressure drop cover and before they played I heard a few old dudes singing free nelson Mandela so they may have been disappointed too, but everything else was so fucking cool.
Terry Hall was so fuckin' awesome, suit all sloppy, bare feet lookin' like some strung out jaded old business man after a hard night.
Enjoyed The DJ before hand, Neville was doing vocals right?

Logan Campbell center is an odd venue, zero sign posting for the venue where all around it shouts ASB STADIUM!!! the first actual sign reading the Logan Campbell Centre seemed to be just outside the venue when walking down the ramp..odd. The bar was stupidly busy, had to wait about 20 minutes to get a beer so naturally you buy as many as you can carry at a time.
On the plus side it's nice to have a venue that doesn't feel REALLY crowded but that you can see the band relatively easily from the back.
Last edited by PertHJ on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

amz

Postby amz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:36 pm

PertHJ wrote:had a fucking rad night, was bummed they didn't play their pressure drop cover and before they played I heard a few old dudes singing free nelson Mandela so they may have been disappointed too, but everything else was so fucking cool.
Jerry Hall was so fuckin' awesome, suit all sloppy, bear feet lookin' like some strung out jaded old business man after a hard night.

I think the DJ set was Trevor Evans (Early Specials roadie) and Felix Hall (Terry's son)

norty

Postby norty » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:11 pm

ha ha....yeah, old 'Jerry' with his bear feet.

Best show ever

planut

Postby planut » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:06 pm

Sooooooo gutted I missed this.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

amz wrote:
PertHJ wrote:had a fucking rad night, was bummed they didn't play their pressure drop cover and before they played I heard a few old dudes singing free nelson Mandela so they may have been disappointed too, but everything else was so fucking cool.
Jerry Hall was so fuckin' awesome, suit all sloppy, bear feet lookin' like some strung out jaded old business man after a hard night.

I think the DJ set was Trevor Evans (Early Specials roadie) and Felix Hall (Terry's son)

Ah ok cool, Felix being the one playing Solitaire? :lol:

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:50 pm

norty wrote:ha ha....yeah, old 'Jerry' with his bear feet.

Haha woops, bit tired...

Cheers for the Beer! Sorry I drunk yours, will buy you one next time

amz

Postby amz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:57 pm

I got there after their set so not sure

amz

Postby amz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Oh, okay, didn't realise there'd been two DJ sets. So those two were the second - Jamaican, dreaded MC/guy that looks like a young Terry Hall DJ - haha

Dunno who the first one was

hooligan

Postby hooligan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:08 am

My version...
drinkys and catch ups with ole mates at Thirsty
relpeat with an good ole fashioned" kicking out" of a Nazi skin by the level headed and "best doorman of the decade" Ryan..
sweet as D J ing from Lise and Vic
herded onto the double decker bus by Stixy..and then basically "party started'!!~ skanking on the bus so hard to the soundsystem that the bus itself was rocking up and down on its axles
could not fukin believe there was genuine cockney ticket scalpers outside the logan campell
"awrigt mate wanna ticket to the Specials mate..??"
then..lining up for piss......
fukin unbelievable..took me and Dave Offbeats
about an hour to get to the front..
at which point we ordered as much piss as we could carry and skulled 6 white wines..
could not believe how stupid these promoters etc are
let me set a scene
hunderds of middle aged poms
hundreds of thirsty kiwi fans
all hard out drinkers....and about seven"scared shitless" looking bar staff
fuking lame bar set up
but................
if the mosh pit for the bar was a hassle....
it was a walk in the woods to get up to front of the stage for the Specials in comparison..
every tune of theres I wanted to skank to they played
and I loved Terry's disaffected..watch looking.. bored as fuk demeanor
wot a man
the perfect foil to the awesome energy and happy vibe of Neville
Roddy radiation is the greatest "rockabilly" playin and looking dude ever
I nearly had a fight up front with some smelly fukin nelson.like.. pakeha ropehead cock
but in true 2 tone brotherhood we settled our differences and shared the majesty of the Specials
awesome to see this band that was my teenage turntable icons
an Im glad really that there was no kiwi support
it actually made the night that bit more............................ Special
bus ride home was vaugely remebered..i dont smoke" jazz" cigarettes
but had about 10 on the way back....
and the Thirsty as the after party was also wicked
caught the last 4 tunes from the randoms
and that pretty much made it the best night I have had for years
Peace
Paul Hooli

Rude Mike

Postby Rude Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:09 pm

haha i remember that drunk cunt getting swiftly moved along at the thirsty dog. fuckin idiot :lol: ben nearly gave him a smash down the road for calling him "typical asian" because he wouldn't accept a condom ?

witty.alias

Postby witty.alias » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:50 pm

Me n Scotty went to the melbourne gig, (we got so excited when we heard they were playing over there we booked straight away, flights n all, only for them to announce a akl gig - ha!)
any way it was fucking amazing! at a place called the Palace, beautiful epic old tiered style venue, with a shitload of bars - including one only meters away from the stage... which was mint coz thats where we were!! i think there was a local support band before the DJ's but we didnt catch them, bit shit, but gigs start so fucking early in melbourne, how are you supposed to get yer duty free jameson in ya before hand? probably about 3-4000 people there...
Good crowd, loads of rude boys n girls, skins (young and old), few punks, rockabilly/physcobilly types. and heaps of old cunts looking well excited! not much wankery which was good, i thought it might be all a bit 'scene'...
the set was fucking, fucking fucking brilliant, i honestly rate them as the best live act i have ever had the pleasure of seeing. coz i went with scotty we positioned ourselves right infront of roddy radiation, what a treat!
neville was incredible, didnt stop moving the whole time, fucking did that shit!
horace and lynval were good, horace stayed at the back most of time (according to scotty 'where bassists belong - in the rythym section' :roll: )
then there was terry. terry terry terry...... he looked like he wanted to slit his wrists the whole time, and stood mostly in one place - right at the back... but holy fuck can that cunt sing! flawless except for fucking up 'too much too young' - funny coz as he said 'we've played this 3000 times'.... the only thing he really had to say to the audience was 'ozzy rules? whats that all about?!! it's like fucking pass the parcel...' booing insued.... CLASSIC.
all the songs were top notch, played all of the first album, and the goodies off the second.... ghost town was a bit drab, but all the others were fucking high energy so i'll forgive the old bastards. my favs were probably gansters, little bitch and monkey man... the 4 song encore included some symarip, and the whole thing ended with 'enjoy yourself'... and we fucking did, went off to a pub on ACDC lane which played 60's soul till fucking late.... then scotty puked his guts out.... what a night.
ImageImageImageImage

Livestock

Postby Livestock » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Show was amazing..

Probably one of the best gigs I've ever been to..

the 'Jazz' cigarettes on the bus were my doing.. and it made the bus ride that much more enjoyable.

Stoked with the quality of my new camera

weekend was an 11/10

Little Bitch
[viddler]b923012b[/viddler]

Its up to You
[viddler]d19458da[/viddler]

ana.

Postby ana. » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:09 pm

bloody amazing night!!
I went to the venue without a ticket planned to chill outside hoping to hear the tunes outside but ended up gettin in for free! I noticed two guys asking if people had tickets so i go up to them and he offers me two for 50buks each, then his mate steps in offers 50buks for both till they finally give them to us for free!
I thought it was too good to be true.

Relief to know there some good people out there!
* ps if that dude reads this thank you sooo much! Good karma coming back at ya!

best show ever.

your fucking funeral

Postby your fucking funeral » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:30 pm

they didnt even want a wristy?? strange dudes
chelovek cheloveky volk

Devon

Postby Devon » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 pm

Gig was sweet.
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

boyo

Postby boyo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

Decent quality videos!

Crowd looked lame though.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:08 pm

well there was that one lady in the wheel chair...

:oops:

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:55 am

if it wasnt for a dude in a wheelchair id have never gotten into the last special gig

oh yeh, i was meaning to ask, pert did you manage to hit neville with a bottle this time? :D
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 am

haha I had a go with a plastic water bottle that terry handed out, but the cunt was too far away.

I reminisced singing pressure drop with you phil <3

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:56 am

was a good night indeed

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:11 pm

melbourne was wicked, palace was a sweet venue.
ground was shaking and shit
tonnes of rudeboys, tonnes of rude old bitches too.
conclusion: it ruled
ImageImageImage

skalie

Postby skalie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:40 am

Just found this .........................

http://2-tone.info/artists/the_specials.html

.............. not here, I don't think.

InkedScot

Postby InkedScot » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:41 am

How often do the Specials play in Oz or NZ?
I haven't seen them in over 10 years since they rarely come to the US.

Craig_Bastard

Postby Craig_Bastard » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:56 pm

they come here about every 6 months, your missing out Archie!
http://thestungrenades.bandcamp.com
SHUT UP,
PUT YOUR DENIM ON
AND STAY FREE.

Marrow wrote:Its the recession, buying drinks for people then finding out they have shit taste in music isn't economically viable.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Haha.

In the last 4-5 years the Neville Staple specials and the proper specials have been here once each.

Aidan
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Return to “Reviews”