drinking beer

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
phaedrus

drinking beer

Postby phaedrus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:17 pm

This weekend started with Friday, which was officially beer day... started after work at 4pm, but Jay was going to be at work til 5.30 or 6 so I headed to the Malthouse for a beer or two with EJ.

I turned up to a waiting pint of Tuatara Helles lager (bavarian lager, 5%)... was nice. Not a complex or challenging beer in any way, but super smooth easy to drink. No huge flavours sticking out, or being hard to swallow, so just a tasty malty lager. It's being pitched as a 'gateway beer' into the more flavourful and less mainstream offerings from Tuatara and should do well for that. Georgekicker turned up part way through the Helles, joining me and EJ in time to skull a Helles and await the arrival of the next beer...

Yeastie Boys Pot Kettle Black (American Style Porter, 6%) - This is the new beer for Yeastie Boys, who produce one beer a season and it tends to sell out in a few weeks. Currently at the Malthouse, probably Edwards Bar in Newtown and on tap for flagoncore4lyfers at Regional. American style apparently means a bit weak... so this is a much more easily accessible porter for non-porter/stout drinkers. It has a nice stong hop flavour, without getting the strongness of flavour in terms of notes of burnt toast, coffee and/or chocolate that you get in porters. Still, this beer tastes extra yummy and is also nice and easy to drink... highly recommend trying to get some of this in you while it's available. Regional were hooking their keg up on Friday night... no idea how many they have, but it definitely wont last long.

After these two beers it was time to head to Regional Wines and Spirits to pick up some supplies for later in the evening... and head to Jay's. Regional was having a marlborough beers tasting session, which if I didn't already have way too much beer to get through I would have hung out at for a while... they were tasting pink elephant, renaissance brewing and some other producers stuff. We picked up a flagon of Emersons 1812 Pale Ale, 4 x 500ml Emerson's JP Ale and a bottle of wine (Church Road Chardonnay, for those who care \m/)... after this we walked to Jay's with only a couple urination stops, and only walking into a few trees and cutting up my finger only once (it was dark, i wasn't too drunk... at least not yet).

So, then we arrived at Jay's... and then a little while later Jay arrived at Jay's and we didn't have to huddle in the alleyway next to his house anymore... and the drank began.

Reasoning that we should always drink the lighter flavours first, so as to not overpower the palette (pretending like we gave a fuck ;) ), we started on the Emerson's 1812 Pale Ale (Pale Ale, 5%). This is easily my favourite Pale Ale, and is in fact the only one I would openly claim to enjoy. Can't remember anything particularly sensible to say about this beer, other than yum... shit's tasty. Nice and flavourful, hoppy, and easy to enjoy - a little bit citrusy as well, making for a refreshing beer.

During the Pale Ale Sean turned up, and brought some Monteith's with him... so next was a round of Monteith's Golden Lager (some beer, from a supermarket, with alcohol in it). It was ok, I guess... it's a good night when a Monteith's Golden Lager is the low point.

Once the Golden Lager had been drained it was on to the next beer, once which I had stashed at Jay's the night before... a new emerging favourite, the Tuatara Hefe (German Cloudy Wheat Beer, 5%). This was only the second time I had drunk Hefe, but was pleasantly surprised again at how good this was. With my intolerence of all things gluten I tend to avoid things with wheat written on the packaging. Apparently this beer style translated means 'yeast in wheat beer' which is a pretty good description, it's a wheat beer with yeast suspended in it causing it to be cloudy and extra tasty. The bottle says it has flavours of 'ripe banana' and it sure does... it tastes a bit like someone has crunched up banana chips into it \m/ A flavourful, but mild, beer that is another good thirst quencher... being something you could drink all day and would quench the hell out of any thirst.

We were now down to the two belgian styled beers for the night... and started with the limited edition Emerson's JP (Strong Dark Ale, 8%)
This beer is named after Jean-Pierre Dufour, former Dean of Food Sciences at Otago and all round good Belgian egg, and is released in limited quantities each year... using a different Belgian style each year under the JP name. This year's JP is a Dubbel style dark ale, flavoured with star anise... the anise is not a strong flavour, but it's there and can be tasted in the after taste (and 'on the burp' if you're getting all flash). It tastes quite similar to a porter to me, but definitely has a spicier flavour thanks to the anise added and natural fruity flavour so common in Belgian style beers.

To round out the evening, my favourite... Tuatara Ardennes (Strong Golden Ale, 6.5%). I can't say enough good things about this beer... spicey and fruity, with definite hints of orange coming through in the flavour. Strong flavour, but not a very strong alcohol hit, which makes this surprisingly drinkable for such a substantial beer. Shit's good. This, and the JP, have a kick on it like a mule... so I could tell the end of the evening would be rapidly approaching.

By now there were eight people there, and between five of us we managed to find some wine drinkers to get through the Church Road Chardonnay... shit's also good. Tastes like victory, and drank \m/ So there it is, what I did on Friday... it was mean.

puppykicker

Re: drinking beer

Postby puppykicker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:22 pm

epic review of getting drunk on jays couch. fancy beer is win
step up to get yo' rep up

beef666
<3 tofu

Postby beef666 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 pm

puppykicker wrote:fancy beer is win

http://www.myspace.com/abortedchristians666

dimery wrote: no beef with nobody, down for whatever, smoke weed every day

Lurch wrote:Zane has a secret Fred Durst shrine in his room. True story.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm

mmm, the JP is good eh!!
Uncinia vector

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:28 pm

yeah, the JP is very very tasty... as is just about everything that comes out of Emerson's \m/

puppykicker

Postby puppykicker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:28 pm

i actually preferred the yeastie boys to the J.P, was easier to drink but with a stronger flavor

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:30 pm

yeah, that yeastie boys is a great combo of big flavour and easy to drink... normally some of the darker more flavourful beers remind me i'm not a 'real' beer drinker yet, and should stick to the nice light coloured beers ;)

puppykicker

Postby puppykicker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:35 pm

real men drink beer with twigs and mud in

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:48 pm

definitely keen for another blat on the JP's, and pokers and more literal videos ;) will need to be during the week, as i have the kids this weekend... dare we tempt fate with another wednesday session? ;)

puppykicker

Postby puppykicker » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:53 pm

day before payday ftl, otherwise keen

bridge.

Postby bridge. » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:06 pm

I was invited to this and didn't even go. I am SUCH a loser!!

I would like to join in on a repeat of such shenangins if i may. Particularly with poker.

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:20 pm

puppykicker wrote:day before payday ftl, otherwise keen

i can front cash for good times... well, depending on how much i spend in the next couple days ;)

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:26 pm

missing Emersons while I'm working in Rotorua. Macs seems to be the most exotic beer around here. Sigh. Oh well, BarEdward on Friday arvo I think...
Uncinia vector

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:06 pm

i pretty much only drink stouts and other dark beers atm, stops me just guzzling the lot and i actually notice the flavour.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Wobbly Boot porter ale is currently my favorite beer. stuff is fantastic.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Jay wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA[/youtube]

As much as a love beer, this totally stole the thread :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 pm

toothbrush wrote:Wobbly Boot porter ale is currently my favorite beer. stuff is fantastic.

Where to be purchasing?
Just had a few lovely Kronenbergs at the Thirsty Dawg with lovely company, satsified.
Last edited by ghetto ninja on Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 pm

ghetto ninja wrote:Kronenbergs

:)
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:01 am

toothbrush wrote:Wobbly Boot porter ale is currently my favorite beer. stuff is fantastic.

i prefer its much more delicious brother clydesdale stout, altho wobbly boot is pretty mean.
both are available at extortionist prices from new world, i dare say they are much cheaper in CHCH, 10c back per bottle would help too.
Carly Ngarotata-Simon wrote:U misd two commas u illiterate fuk. It should read...mainstream, whilst at the same time, ... Who da dumb cunt now. Im bilingual. I can txt speak n also write in 'proper' english havin bn a legal secretary 4 13 years. So im actualy fukn streams ahead in inteligence ova u. Plus i hav a life! I dnt waste my time typing evry leta out cos i have a life! Dum ass. Peace, im out. Hahahahaha

Spots2012 wrote:do animal rights activists vehemently oppose Maori eating pigs etc, or are they willing to let that one slide?

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Dick Dynamite wrote:
Jay wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj-x9ygQEGA[/youtube]

As much as a love beer, this totally stole the thread :P :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would steal any thread. Genius. Must've taken a fair bit of work!

martyrdamn

Postby martyrdamn » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:00 pm

Suspect wrote:

i prefer its much more delicious brother clydesdale stout, altho wobbly boot is pretty mean.
both are available at extortionist prices from new world, i dare say they are much cheaper in CHCH, 10c back per bottle would help too.

you can get both of these in 2L riggers for around $15 ($13 if you bring the bottle) down here. plus 500ml bottles, which I guess is how they're sold everywhere else.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:13 pm

their both Harringtons arn't they? Man, Harringtons used to be cheap rough and dero stuff (hence I know it well). They've done a change to the upmarket in the last couple of years.
Uncinia vector

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:38 pm

a rigger ay? up here those things are called flagons.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:58 pm

They call them flagons in Australia too- at least they did in Darwin.
"Gimme sumya plagon brudda"

mmm, I could do with a plagon of stout about now...
Uncinia vector

xSUSPECTx
argumentative cunt

Postby xSUSPECTx » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:50 pm

fuck yeh, stout is the man of all beers.

i prefer a slightly sweetish creamy stout, and im not a fan of people who think regular guinness is a good example of stout, altho guinness do do an awesome stout, the normal guinness isnt it.

today i drank only nice beers so that i would sound like a beer drinker guy.

first off i had a crest 10% (500ml)i basically just bought this cos its strong and i wanted a strong beer for a long walk to the garden center.
it was brilliant as usual, but being a lager well... the flavour was like a lager.

next for the walk back, was a founders 'schwarzier' black beer, organic according to the label, 4.2% and FUCKING NICE, first time i tasted it, ive tried their blonde and it was good, but first time id seen a dark beer, was happy as, will trade again, if i ever see it.

next beer for further walking, was an harringtons doppelbock, fuckin good shit it was too, never seen that before either(i found a new beer getting place) considering it was 8% it slipped down like a dream, altho that fuckin long neck design is not made for walking and drinking.

now im drinking monteiths black, which is a good solid beer when nothing better is available.

i also got myself a mattock, which was the whole reason i went for a walk, pigs stopped me (i guess a mattock looks dodge on a guy swaggering along in a hood singing aloud to necro and cocksparrer)and i yelled at them, no lies, i went a bit spinny at them, it was all an act, but if id let them fuck me round id get breached, i only made it home with a few mins to spare as it was, luckily i was carrying my papers and when i waved them at them they let me go without so much as asking my name.

all in all a triumphant day.

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:01 pm

I'd have to say Emerson's would be my favorite NZ brewery followed closely by Wigram. Emerson's London Porter and Oatmeal Stout kicks sand in the eyes of any Harrington's product.

I'm looking forward to the new Yeastie Boys, the last one "Kid Chocolate" I wasn't partial to as it left quite the metallic after taste.

What have I been sampling the last couple of nights?

Well, Sunday was a couple of Hoegaarden Forbidden Fruits, such an awesome beer.

Monday was started after work with an Empire IPA which I felt had seen better days so was a little disappointed with the flat taste. Next was the Founders Long Black, actually quite a tasty stout, not to thin on mouth feel and yet not so dominant as say the Emerson's Oatmeal Stout. A nice drop. Then it was the Morelands bottle of Hen's Tooth which didn't do much for me at all. Finished with a Wychwood Black Wych Stout. Nice but yet again nothing breath taking like Brew Moon's "Dark Side Stout" or Hook Nortons "Double Stout".

Last night was a few favorites like the Konig Ludwig Weissbier Dunkel (unfortunately not made anymore), a Schneider Weiss Original, Founders Long Black and a Duchys Organic Select Ale.

Beer fucking rules!!!

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm

No Way Out Records wrote:I'm looking forward to the new Yeastie Boys, the last one "Kid Chocolate" I wasn't partial to as it left quite the metallic after taste.

pot kettle black? is that sold out now? normally only lasts a couple weeks... the malthouse is out, and regional were nearly out of keg for flagon antics last wednesday when we got one...

Beer fucking rules!!!

does it ever \m/

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:19 pm

looks like a keg was recently delivered to d4 on featherston street... GO DRANK NOW! last keg in welly...

The Face

Postby The Face » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:21 pm

Sign me up for any future repeats of this evening.

phaedrus

Postby phaedrus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:22 pm

fer sure :) plans are being formulated as i type... well, i'm just thinking about beer... and i'm assuming jay and george and others are doing so too, but it's pretty much the same thing ;)

Return to “Reviews”