drinking beer

Have your say about the latest band/album/zine/movie/DVD/show that you either loved or hated
Kerry

Re: drinking beer

Postby Kerry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:37 pm

I've always wondered what that's like. It's certainly intriguing, but I just can't bring myself to try a beer that has 'maple', bacon' and 'donut' in its name. The pink bottle puts me off a bit too, because it looks like it might taste like candy floss. Candy floss with bacon. And maple. And donut. I dunno eh...

Anyway.

Not a lot to report from me. Been enjoying the Bach's Kingtide a bit lately though. Oh and Liberty's Knife Party.

Sounds like Daggy Dave is having a pretty alright time... Bastard.
Rob wrote:you are down a dead end street with no hope of every doing anything

arkie

Postby arkie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:26 am

Yeah, it was on special and I couldn't not try it! The opaqueness of the bottle was unnerving and I was dubious to the last drop but over all it really only just smelt of maple-y bacon. It had a definite maple syrup aftertaste but the beer itself seemed pretty mellow and uneventful taste-wise - all in all; interesting but probably not worth it/10

I had the Knife Party and 8wired Superconductor recently too, more like the tastes I like haha.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Knife party is far too delicious and drinkable for something 9%abv. 10/10

My Specific Gravity seems to have stabilised at around 1.010 (after temp variation), so I've put finings in it, and should be able to start bottling tomorrow. I get the feeling I didn't use near enough hops though :/
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 am

Tired Sawmill's 12 Gauge strong lager last night. Been a while since I hooned a lager. Quite enjoyed it. Good session beer.

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:02 pm

No Way Out Records wrote:
Tartanperil wrote:but not sickly sweet like US beers.

please explain further

I'm no expert on American beer, but most of it is too sweet imho - eg probably the best US beer I've tried, Sierra Nevada, does a few quite decent beers (that aren't too sweet), but try their dark (Porter iirc) and it's nice enough, but is notably sweeter that an English equivalent that I wouldn't have more than one or maybe two.

The Rogue OREgasmic was nice and flavorsome, but not so sweet that I'd have to stop after 1 or 2 (if indeed I was still allowed more than 2 beers these days).

Could be just me of course, I certainly prefer beer end especially wine on the dry side (desert wine, oghhh, spit...).

arkie

Postby arkie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 am

Had a Liberty C!tra last night for the first time, really enjoyed how crisp and brightly flavoured it was. Didn't seem too bitter despite being 99 IBU. Would hoon again/10

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:27 pm

Bought the new Rogue out of curiousity (I think it's pretzel/choc/berry or something like that), will post an update after the weekend.

Had the Prohibition 'Big Daddy' IPA. Definitely one of the better ones, not like Hop Zombie levels of hop, but still incredibly fresh/green/earthy, like it's been dry hopped.

Put another brew down using Cascade pellets this time, fastboiled about 30g into the malt, and I'll probably add another 20-30g for dry hopping in the next few days.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:10 pm

arkie wrote:Had a Liberty C!tra last night for the first time, really enjoyed how crisp and brightly flavoured it was. Didn't seem too bitter despite being 99 IBU. Would hoon again/10

awshitcheh so good eh. Currently dranking one right now. TG&F

Marrow wrote:Bought the new Rogue out of curiousity (I think it's pretzel/choc/berry or something like that), will post an update after the weekend.

da faq is up with Rogue and their buzzy as food beers? Yet to try one, but just don't feel compelled to tbh. Quite expensive as well. Yeah, let us know what it's like!

No Way Out Records

Postby No Way Out Records » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:31 pm

Sticking to a few favourites this weekend:
Hop Juice, 90 Minute IPA, Gunnamatta, Oh Brother, Panhead Supercharger and Mikes SMASH

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:04 am

That sinking feeling when someone else is buying drinks but the bar they take you to only has lion, to the point that crafty beggars is on tap.

FWP?
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Kerry wrote:
Marrow wrote:Bought the new Rogue out of curiousity (I think it's pretzel/choc/berry or something like that), will post an update after the weekend.

da faq is up with Rogue and their buzzy as food beers? Yet to try one, but just don't feel compelled to tbh. Quite expensive as well. Yeah, let us know what it's like!

Actually I can answer this.. from what I understand 'vodoo donut' is a donut shop near the rogue brewery, and they do collabs, I was reading about how the latest one is based on some pretzel thing they have. Sorta like the weird Garage Project collabs I guess.
And yeah, expensive as fuck, but my mates like them, and they're usually pretty limited so I try get a taste of each one.

Chucked another 30g of cascade pellets in my fermenter just now, hoping to get a bit of dry-hopped flavour. Don't know how well it's gonna go though.

Had the Epic Lupulingus last night. Perfectly fine, but not very interesting. Very easy drinking though, for what it is.
Gunnamatta for lunch today mhm.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:33 am

I've decided not to buy Rogue any more since I found out they were union busters. As if things we're shitty enough in the US. Plus all their revolutionary iconography. Dicks.

Been drinking (unsurprisingly) a tonne of Canadian beers around Vancouver. Haven't had a bad one yet. Seems like just about every bar and restaurant has at least one decent beer on tap which is rad.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 am

La Trappe bock was redonk
I was keeping a list but I've given up
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:09 am

Not on untappd?
Also first batch of homebrew is done and it didn't kill me, so if anyone wants some free beer, hit me up

arkie

Postby arkie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:24 am

Over the weekend had a couple of the new 330ml Ardennes from tuatara. 6.5% 6pack and it's pretty good. Also had a Raindogs Deadwood IPA and a just barely dated Apothecary Amber Ale. Also a Panhead Supercharger APA, always tasty.

I find this disheartening:

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:39 am

I installed untappd but it was full of weekend beer experts talking about the latest IPA so I keep my social media outages to this thread for beer and my tumble for brewing

arkie

Postby arkie » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:05 am

J wrote:username?

I think it's the same as on here: arkie

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:38 am

daggers wrote:I installed untappd but it was full of weekend beer experts talking about the latest IPA so I keep my social media outages to this thread for beer and my tumble for brewing

you must be using it differently to me... I just use it to track what beer I'm drinking so if I want to find it later or tell someone about it I can remember what I drank. And occasionally my friends comment on my choices I suppose.
What tumble?

daggers

Postby daggers » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:34 pm

I dunno I just got pissy and uninstalled it within about 5 minutes

daggers

Postby daggers » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:35 am

I just signed up again, as daggers_nz

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:25 am

In Deutschland, drinking heavily, lots of good piss here

daggers

Postby daggers » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 am

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:In Deutschland, drinking heavily, lots of good piss here

I could happily drink all shades of weizen for the rest of my life in Germany

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:38 pm

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:In Deutschland, drinking heavily, lots of good piss here

Fuck yeah, German beers. Really like their recycling/return system thing too.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Added yous cunts.

Canada seems to be on the IPA buzz pretty hard but most bars have had at least one stout/porter/scotch ale which I've been slaying pretty hard.
In Vancouver currently, heading to Toronto tomorrow, looking forward to checking out what the East coast has to offer.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

daggers

Postby daggers » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 pm

jebus J do you drink beer for a job? lol

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:57 pm

checked in the Chur! NZPA. mmm

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 pm

lucky bastards
ImageImageImage

Kerry

Postby Kerry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:02 pm

Anyone tried Garage Project's Angry Peaches? Any good?

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Um, it was ok. Good, but not as interesting as I would have thought given what they wrote about using obscure hops or something on the side of the bottle.
Also, I'm planting my own hops in the next week or two, and I need to put a brew down tomorrow so it can ferment while I go on holiday for a few weeks.

daggers

Postby daggers » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:27 pm

Marrow wrote: put a brew down tomorrow so it can ferment while I go on holiday for a few weeks.

Not a good idea

Return to “Reviews”