Racism vs Racial Prejudice

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
yossarian

Re: Racism vs Racial Prejudice

Postby yossarian » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:41 pm

I think it's cause tumblr chicks do crazy sex stuff.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

It's a bit of a bizarre microcosm, that's for sure.
I think it's lint.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:53 am

its really just a way to be 'better' than others, which is fuckin ironic when you think about it.
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:02 am

altho, one thing thats quite funny about this headache of an ideology, is that its exactly what kittenslayer was trying to tell us all along.
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:34 pm

8O :explainittomelikeimfive:

Maybe we need to rethink this
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

Max

Postby Max » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:18 am

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:24 am

despite being horribly condescending, i agreed with all of that right up until the concept that black people cannot be individually racist toward white people, being 'backed up by an institution' or not, doesnt change what words mean, nor does skin colour, we arent arguing over whether or not the dictionary definition fully explains the concept of racism btw, thats a bit strawman.
if racial prejudice is when a black person hates white people and/or treats them badly, then what is prejudice based on race called?
if racial prejudice is 'whoa totally not okay dude' then why does it need to be given another name when it already has a perfectly good one?

what im starting to understand is that its just a replacement for 'reverse racism' which was obviously a stupid term in the first place, theres only racism, no matter who from or to, its just simply what the word means, but since they want to use 'racial prejudice' in exactly the same way as 'reverse racism', despite it having another meaning altogether, then it really is bullshit semantics.

nobodies saying theres a level playing field here, im not trying to deny that the racism white people sometimes experience is nothing on what black people in america, or maori here, or basically any groups marginalised by race anywhere, have to deal with, im well aware of it and it fuckin sux, this isnt about trying to defend anyones lofty position of privilege, its about people using semantics to shut down discussion of something that is actually really damaging to the entire anti-racist movement.

it certainly doesnt really matter to me what the fuck you call it, hatred is hatred, but giving it a different name when its directed at fair skinned people is only saying that its not as bad or is more acceptable, maybe this shit makes sense in north america, but i doubt that.
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:24 pm

oh yeh, a friend of mine who is of african descent once told me how she angrily told somebody off for racist abuse, and was dumbfounded when she was told "i cant be racist im maori"

i think a lot of people think racism is just something white people do, something they always believed, and this nonsense is just the rationalisation of that belief.
"Look how happy he is"

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:56 pm

^ "like"
I think it's lint.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:03 pm

9seconds wrote:What im starting to understand is that its just a replacement for 'reverse racism' which was obviously a stupid term in the first place, theres only racism, no matter who from or to, its just simply what the word means, but since they want to use 'racial prejudice' in exactly the same way as 'reverse racism', despite it having another meaning altogether, then it really is bullshit semantics.

this isnt about trying to defend anyones lofty position of privilege, its about people using semantics to shut down discussion of something that is actually really damaging to the entire anti-racist movement.

This seems to be the case. Do sociologists really define racism/racial prejudice only in these specific ways?

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm

tbh, altho thats what she implied, i dont think she outright said that they do, so probably not ay.
"Look how happy he is"

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:14 pm

Plz do not step to my academic studies with a youtube video from MTV news. That shit is fucking idiotic.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:20 am

I have far more to do with staunch feminist, post-modern academics than I'd like. And the pop-feminism and inclusivism/exclusivism that pops up online seems poles apart from the academic arguments (to me at least), which just frustrates the situation even more. At least academics are generally critical and rational (if nothing else sometimes).

Spending too much time on, say, everyday feminism is at least as frustrating as spending too much time on whaleoil.
I think it's lint.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:17 am

xojane/jezebel often make me wnat to flip out and buy a fedora.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:17 am

yossarian wrote:xojane/jezebel often make me want to flip out and buy a fedora.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:25 am

Yeh, was gunna say that video kinda inspired bigotry in me, not tolerance.
"Look how happy he is"

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:01 pm

While we're banishing white people from dreadlocks, where we at with nose rings? Know a few Hindi people rockin that look, did we rip that off them too? So hard to know what's appropriate now

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:09 pm

It's cool how there are now some left wing people pushing for total miscegenation and apartheid. makes it a non partisan issue and much more likely to happen.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:04 pm

do you mean anti-miscegenation?

Dixon Cider A.C. wrote:While we're banishing white people from dreadlocks, where we at with nose rings? Know a few Hindi people rockin that look, did we rip that off them too? So hard to know what's appropriate now

its kinda funny to think that the shaven headed look was copied off jaimacans as well, obviously these wet turds would think roddy mereno is a nazi stormtrooper tho, so probably a moot point.

cultural misappropriation is a real bugger
"Look how happy he is"

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:24 pm

He must mean anti... but yeah, it's deliciously ironic.
I think it's lint.

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:55 pm

I think, if you're fair-skinned person, and someone who appears to be of another racial background is a little bit prejudiced towards you, it's not that big of a deal. Just cop it and do your best change their opinion. It's the only way to move forward.

Australia is a weird phenomenon. It's as though the inclusion of any non-fair skinned people somehow causes their country to not be quite as outstandingly, amazingly awesome as the general public leads themselves to believe. Unless they play sport or make food.
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:26 pm

The Ost wrote:I think, if you're fair-skinned person, and someone who appears to be of another racial background is a little bit prejudiced towards you, it's not that big of a deal. Just cop it and do your best change their opinion. It's the only way to move forward

I think we're all reasonably comfortable with this concept.

What's frustrating is when there's a reason to use the word racist in a discussion toward a non white person and the conversation gets completely derailed by arguments of what can and can't be considered so

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:00 pm

yeh, im pretty tolerant of a bit of intolerance from certain people, but the thing is, we are equals, i mentioned the other day to a maori guy that i do a bit of carving and he assumed it would be 'skulls and shit' actually its mostly been maori/pacific and christian themed stuff, whatever people want.
the same guy assumes my missus has money, she is generous to a fault, but if she had money she wouldnt be living in that area, we are both just as poor as he is, its a little tiring to face these prejudices on a daily basis(thats what racial prejudice is by the way, not abusive/hateful shit, thats called racism).
i dont really like to complain about it, as i know a guy like him faces much worse and more constant prejudice every day, hes only in tauranga to find work, and now hes on the dole, and i dont think for a fuckin second that he likes that state of affairs.

but what im really fuckin sick of is middle class white people, he kind he mistakes me for, telling me this shit doesnt happen, and actual racism, just cos it doesnt bother you in your nice neighbourhood, doesnt mean you can tell me what happens in mine.

i think i do exactly what you say Steve, in fact my girlfriends brother actually assumed i am part maori cos of my attitude toward the culture, funny cos he is, tho you wouldnt know it.
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:26 pm

9seconds wrote:yeh, im pretty tolerant of a bit of intolerance from certain people, but the thing is, we are equals [.......] a guy like him faces much worse and more constant prejudice every day, hes only in tauranga to find work, and now hes on the dole, and i dont think for a fuckin second that he likes that state of affairs.

Wouldn't that mean you're not exactly equals?
.....jus'sayin'

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:57 pm

yeh, i guess you got me there.
"Look how happy he is"

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:18 pm

anyway, before we go too far off the original topic, it occurs to me that the only people who believe racism toward white people isnt racism are people like bruce zhang who howl racist insults at you then claim they cannot be racist.
and smug 20-something uber-lefties who cant stop congratulating themselves on their successful happy lives and checking their privilege to see its not just handed out to everyone who is fair skinned, in fact they clearly see anyone who isnt as trendy and urbane as they as inferior, the lack of success despite all the privilege being the damning evidence.

essentially they are saying all white people are racist, unless they are wealthy and privileged.

i think im gunna call it the kittenslayer philosophy.
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:36 am

Found this article/reactions on social media pretty interesting:

http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-people/a-hungarian-woman-thought-blackface-would-be-the-best-way-to-raise-awareness-of-african-tribes-20160107-gm0zjf.html

Maybe it is just straight racism, but kind of seems ignorant to paint someone simply as being "white" and not investigating what is/isn't acceptable in there own culture (and thus what they would/wouldn't recognise as being racist), and addressing the offence accordingly.

I was pretty surprised over here when I was taught in my language class that it was perfectly acceptable to refer to someone as having "yellow" skin colour (ie someone from Asia/asian decent) - certainly not something I would say myself,especially for the historical significance in NZ/US/England (something maybe people from other countries are unaware of) but I'm not sure I should ridicule all Italians who say this...?

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 pm

what she did was stupid, and yeh, insulting, but holy crap, the author of that article is just as racist and stupid, as a bulgarian shes hardly a scion of the cultures that have oppressed black people over the centuries.

im a little tired of 'white' as being the bad guy, no matter what fair skinned ethnicity you come from, just as confused and insulting as conflating samoan with ethiopian if you ask me.

yeh racist white people think that way, good for you that you do too i guess :roll:
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Yeah I'm no expert on European history, but I'm a little hesitant when it comes to attributing blame/responsibility equally to all countries now part of the "(white) European civilisation"

I find European people's dislike of other nationalities (particularly their neighbours) pretty strange, but it is presumably one of the factors that has enabled so many distinct and cherished cultures to survive in a relatively small area

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:48 am

What Europe has, that we don't, is history. Although the casual anti-neighbour shit seems to be used more in jest by the younger folk than in any really serious way. Either way, the french get shit from everywhere, themselves included.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Current Affairs”