UBER

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!

Uber

Good Idea
68%
Bad Idea
32%

Total votes: 19

Re: UBER

Postby . » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 pm

PertHJ wrote:
. wrote:It boggles my mind how otherwise smart, politically engaged people fall over themselves for Uber, the embodiment of what's wrong with contemporary capitalism and libertarian brodudes.

Not really.

not really what?

PertHJ wrote:It's very easy to not know about/ignore the corporate backing behind it and see it simply as individuals supplying other individuals with a service, like selling/asking for something on a forum - but done way way way more efficiently.

if anyone thinks that this is what uber ever was they are ignorant as fuck to the degree that i genuinely worry for the future of the human race.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Well that's pretty much how I've read/had it explained to me on multiple occasions. And why, theoretically, could it not be just that?

In my opinion most articles about the negatives do a poor job of explaining that it is effectively a directory for self employed taxi drivers.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:06 pm

PertHJ wrote:Well that's pretty much how I've read/had it explained to me on multiple occasions. And why, theoretically, could it not be just that?

In my opinion most articles about the negatives do a poor job of explaining that it is effectively a directory for self employed taxi drivers.

So is Co-Op taxis, Cheap cabs, Discount taxis, and every single other taxi operator in New Zealand.

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Red_switch wrote:^ Yeah, that's a big part of it. You mostly do contract work eh yossarian?

Ofcourse, Uber *says* it's drivers are independent contractors. But they aren't. Not by any NZ definition anyway.

In terms of how Uber works, I reckon a better comparison would be to compare drivers with McDonalds front line staff being made contractors (which is kinda where some fast food companies were trying to go with zero-hour employment agreements).

Yeah, exclusively. And I can set my rates to what the market will bear / what is reasonable to cover not getting sick pay etc, I can work for anyone I want, including competing companies, etc. That's supposed to be the trade off for not being an employee with guaranteed pay/hours, sick, holiday, and so on.

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:36 am

I rate Uber, got picked up in a 2015 Mercedes in Houston it was teh tits. Last time I got a taxi they did the standard scenic route overcharge bs - fuck taxis.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:06 pm

So the problem with uber is the owner of the app is ripping the drivers off?

Open source app?
"Look how happy he is"

snuff

Postby snuff » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:32 pm

Google dropped $200mil into Uber's dev, whilst an alternative open source app is possible part of what makes Uber good is having that money behind it.

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:11 pm

9seconds wrote:So the problem with uber is the owner of the app is ripping the drivers off?

Open source app?

The problem with uber is that they are a taxi company/coop pretending they are something else through good marketing/story telling.

Because they are a taxi company they should be held to the same regulations/standards (licensing/workers rights/safety standards etc etc) as any other taxi company so to maintain the safety of workers,customers, general public, the market etc.

snuff

Postby snuff » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:56 pm

The taxi industry was fucked and needed a massive shakeup, thankfully something that Uber appears to have made happen. It's much better for me as a consumer i,e cheaper, nicer rides, drivers not being able to charge you for the scenic route. I can see why some of these drivers are getting butthurt, but honest every driver I've talked too it wasn't there 'real' job more something they did in their spare time for fun and some extra coin.

I think (as mentioned earlier with Google's $$$$) they're going to get the software side of things worked out and use this as a platform for their autonomous car network - removing the drivers entirely eventually.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:40 pm

lol, i wonder how many times google cars will be hired to drive onto the back of transport vehicles and stolen.
"Look how happy he is"

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:24 am

Yeah they'll probably have a hard time tracking them down what with the vehicles using a satellite network to pin point navigate around cities and what not...

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:56 am

It's just wires. Snip.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:02 pm

smart cars just require smarter thieves, ive been following this a lot lately, seeing some of the latest shit that 4wd owners are putting in their rigs, any truck thief has a gps jammer, get with the times snuff
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:19 pm

So what your saying is that about as many cars will be stolen then as now?

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm

stop pointing out the flaws in my various arguments, it forces me to construct them better and become a more intelligent and considered poster.
"Look how happy he is"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Punkas will improve your life

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:18 pm

PertHJ wrote:Punkas will improve your life

This is definitely not true.

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:02 pm

PertHJ wrote:
9seconds wrote:So the problem with uber is the owner of the app is ripping the drivers off?

Open source app?

The problem with uber is that they are a taxi company/coop pretending they are something else through good marketing/story telling.

I don't think that's true.

Uber succeeds through providing a service that customers want.

Personally, I find Uber a slight improvement over most taxi services at present time.
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

yossarian

Postby yossarian » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm

It is true that the reason they're cheaper is avoiding regulatory costs they have no right to avoid though....

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:27 pm

The Ost wrote:
PertHJ wrote:The problem with uber is that they are a taxi company/coop pretending they are something else through good marketing/story telling.

you don't think they're pretending? or you don't think they're a taxi company

The Ost wrote:Uber succeeds through providing a service that customers want.

Personally, I find Uber a slight improvement over most taxi services at present time.

I agree that they seem t be smashing it on the customer service front, this is clearly the upside of uber. However the lack of regulations/responsibility could potentially put the occasional unfortunate customer at risk.

Then there's everyone else that hurts from lack of regulation.

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:53 am

9seconds wrote:smart cars just require smarter thieves, ive been following this a lot lately, seeing some of the latest shit that 4wd owners are putting in their rigs, any truck thief has a gps jammer, get with the times snuff

Loal, your average car thief is stealing cars because they're a fucking dummy, somehow I don't think they're going to be hosting a panel at def con this year. I think you've been watching too much Fast and the Furious champ.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:50 am

wow... thats some pretty ignorant stuff to be saying in such a smug tone
"Look how happy he is"

The Ost
mutton chops

Postby The Ost » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:34 pm

PertHJ wrote:
The Ost wrote:
PertHJ wrote:The problem with uber is that they are a taxi company/coop pretending they are something else through good marketing/story telling.

you don't think they're pretending? or you don't think they're a taxi company

I don't think they are pretending to be some sort of peer to peer, power to the people company. They may have done that at the beginning.

A number of the Uber drivers I have talked to either used to drive taxis, or continue to do so when they are not using their personal car with Uber.

As far as regulation goes, I agree with the general consensus here. In Australia, they have recently brought in new legislation in line to keep track of Uber. We'll see how it goes.
"Society makes easy targets; colour, creed, sex. " - The Proletariat

INITIO CLUB: "Better than the crap people" since 1997

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:41 pm

9seconds wrote:wow... thats some pretty ignorant stuff to be saying in such a smug tone

How so?

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:26 pm

snuff wrote:
9seconds wrote:wow... thats some pretty ignorant stuff to be saying in such a smug tone

How so?

cos youre denying well known easily verifiable facts in a condescending way. :baton:
"Look how happy he is"

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:03 pm

J wrote:pretty surprised at the amount of people on here suggesting more government regulation rather than less exorbitant fees for taxi drivers to level the playing field.

also kinda funny how people wont use uber but have no problem jumping in a taxi with their macbook, iphones, slave made handbags and nikes lol.

dont really care who picks me up, just dont want to have to call a number, wait on hold, have no idea whos driving the car or if they are going the right way and fucking around with cash or broken/shitty eftpos machines.

100% there are issues with Taxis. But thinking Uber is a silver bullet is retarded and naive.

But fuck, I don't know, I take joy in walking. Haven't used a taxi since I was living in Invers (12 km out of town).
I think it's lint.

snuff

Postby snuff » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:09 am

9seconds wrote:
snuff wrote:

How so?

cos youre denying well known easily verifiable facts in a condescending way. :baton:

So lets bring it back.

I was making the argument about how I believe Uber (being a Google backed product) will eventually be used in conjunction with their autonomous car network (Nevada and California are already in the process of passing legislation to allow these). Then you pull out this gem...

9seconds wrote:lol, i wonder how many times google cars will be hired to drive onto the back of transport vehicles and stolen.

Too which I rightly highlighted how easy it will be to find these cars being expertly stolen by being driven onto the back of transports (hence the F&F reference) - we're talking about fucking Google mate, have you forgotten about Snowden talking about the NSA's and GCHQ's use of Google Maps? Maybe you're not aware of Novero, or how quickly Tesla patch via their remote connection?

9seconds wrote:smart cars just require smarter thieves, ive been following this a lot lately, seeing some of the latest shit that 4wd owners are putting in their rigs, any truck thief has a gps jammer, get with the times snuff

So you are right in that thieves evolve with technology - the evolution of atm theft is evidence of this, maybe we could see more prolific ODB-II hacking? I don't know. However, with video game piracy only having about 2 years left due to the sophistication of drm, somehow I think a company with pretty much the smartest people on the planet working for it are going to come out on top here. Will some people try it on and attempt to steal some of these, probably. Will they be successful, possibly. But like I said, at the end of the day if you're stealing cars you're a fucking dummy.

9seconds

Postby 9seconds » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:33 pm

yeh, but you ridiculed the specific method i mentioned, which is already being used successfully by car thieves in any local suburb you care to name.
will google being the smartest entity on earth(lol) come up with some ways to defend against this? probably, is what they will probably do anything to do with you making out that current, easily available, well known and reported on technology, is only in over the top silly hollywood action movies?
no, it is not.

if anything the google car would be able to sense when it leaves the road and refuse to do it, simply tracking it would be closing the door after the horse has bolted, or the google car has been stripped of parts and is in 15 different locations and still moving and multiplying.

my initial comment was just wondering, i bet a few do get nicked in some ingenious ways when they first appear, im picturing cunts backing trucks into loading docks, getting the car to drive on, and the passengers just start ripping it to bits as the truck drives away.
"Look how happy he is"

snuff

Postby snuff » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:38 pm

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:46 am

Autonomous cars are also a largely retarded idea. Having more cars on the road, with fewer occupants in each, is unlikely to improve transportation for most people.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Current Affairs”