Did Joan Jett watch her bandmate Jackie Fox get raped?

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Max

Did Joan Jett watch her bandmate Jackie Fox get raped?

Postby Max » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:25 pm

http://highline.huffingtonpost.com/arti ... ost-girls/

Long but worth reading. Never did like that Fowley, what a creep.

Dead Kid

Re: Did Joan Jett watch her bandmate Jackie Fox get raped?

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:13 pm

Great band. It's sad seeing the members disagree on the facts, and Jackie's credibility is an easy target because it contradicts what she's blogged previously. Cherie supposedly described the same incident a bit differently in her book without naming the victim, but seems adamant that it wasn't Jackie.

A good response to the whole storm here anyway:
http://boingboing.net/2015/07/13/the-ja ... osure.html
"So you think you're floating in mint sauce son"

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:30 pm

Jett apparently delivered a "heartfelt" speech at Fowley's funeral. I've lost a lot of respect for her.

edit: Not because she was a scared dumb teenager, probably a bit drunk/stoned, who didn't know how to handle the situation when her bandmate was getting raped by the man who basically owned the band and had a lot of power over them all.... that part I get. It's her recent vague statement denying any awareness of the incident... it's simply not credible. She's more concerned with her tough girl image than admitting that she ever felt helpless/powerless, or was ever mean to her bandmate.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:13 pm

Ah, I was a bit wrong about Cherie's point of view. This clears it up a lot better:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/c ... -innocent/
However, in response to a comment pointing out that Currie wrote about a similar incident in her memoirs, Neon Angel, Currie admits that the individual in the book was Jackie. “I was battling Jackie and her lawyer for a decade with that chapter. Jackie was altered.”

She goes on to insinuate that the scene Fuchs has referred to as rape was actually consensual. “I didn’t know her well at that time. I also know that young girls slept with older man far more then date of their own age. It was the 70’s culture. Some things had to be altered in that chapter but if I had for one minute heard Jackie say stop instead of acting like an active participant I would have cracked his skull.”

All very well at the time but they way they're looking back at it now isn't helping anything.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:18 pm

“I didn’t know her well at that time. I also know that young girls slept with older man far more then date of their own age. It was the 70’s culture. Some things had to be altered in that chapter but if I had for one minute heard Jackie say stop instead of acting like an active participant I would have cracked his skull.”

Like fuck she would have. She was a dumb drunk and stoned teenager who probably thought rape was something done by masked men in dark alleys; he was her boss, the man who got her a record deal with a major label. Jett and Currie don't need to make excuses for what they did (or didn't do) when they were teenagers. Fuchs even pre-emptively forgave them when she wrote about the bystander effect, but still they have to talk bullshit. By all accounts they bullied Fuchs throughout her time in the band, and even afterwards when she was replaced by Vicki Blue.

Dead Kid

Postby Dead Kid » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Got my ticket to see Cherie in May. I guess the worst that could happen is that she says stupid shit in between songs. Dead Kid, gathering the facts.

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:16 pm

There's a doco called Edgeplay on the Runaways, incredibly sad. That first tour they did when they were like 15 Kim Fowley pushed the beds together in their hotel room and was like 'Tonight I'm gonna teach you how to fuck'.

Greasy cunt.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Return to “Current Affairs”