David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
User avatar
NOIDEAWOTEVER
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:04 am
Location: AK Super Shitty

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby NOIDEAWOTEVER » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:27 pm

yup. entertainment visas are not quite the same as work visas but yes they are a piece of piss to get. and he knows that so i'm not sure what all the whinging is about.

User avatar
Lurch
Posts: 3614
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Hillcrest, Hamilton

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Lurch » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:25 pm

The latest chapter of this saga is up. I'm not sure if I should get out the tissues or fashion myself a tin foil hat.

http://www.songwritersnotebook.blogspot ... lance.html
Prior to the G8 meetings in Alberta in 2002 I intended to cross the border north of Missoula, Montana. The Canadian immigration agent was a nice guy, a fellow musician, and we talked for 15 minutes or so about music, Martin guitars, and musicians we both liked. He was a fan of Martin Sexton. I mentioned that I heard Martin Sexton playing on the streets of Boston back when he was a young street performer. He said I was going to be able to cross, after they searched my vehicle. But after they searched the vehicle, the agent looked very nervous, because he had just been handed a piece of paper that had come out of their computer system.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't supposed to show it to me, but he did. I was pretty sure I wasn't supposed to photocopy it, and I didn't ask if I could, which I regret. But what it said was that I was an activist with ill intent, and that they should basically throw the book at me and try to find a good reason to turn me away. It didn't say I should be turned away for no reason, but that a reason should be found. I don't know if the information about me on the paper originated in the US or in Canada.

The agent was visibly shaken by this piece of paper, and he told me very directly that he wanted to let me in, but he was afraid if he did, he could lose his job. I was given an 8-day ban on entering Canada -- the length of the G8 meetings. I was told there would be an all-points warning put out on me, and that if I attempted to cross the border anywhere else, I would be detained for 8 days. After that time, he said, I would be free to cross the border.

For a number of years, most of the time I flew a plane in the US or leaving the US, I had an empty seat next to me. While this is not unusual on planes that aren't full, it very regularly was the case that the empty seat next to me was one of the only empty seats on the plane. Too often, I suspect, for this to be random, but it's very hard to say for sure.

There have been a number of occasions during protests, such as the G20 protests in Pittsburgh, that me and some of my friends and fellow protesters at the event had very strange things happening with our cell phones. Regardless of how much we rebooted our phones, a number of us experienced things like the phone could make outgoing calls but couldn't accept incoming calls, or vice versa. When we did connect, there would be a very pronounced echo, and lots of clicking noises. Sometimes it seemed certain key words would set off the clicking, such as the word, "explosive."

The guy does come across as fairly smart and genuine, but I don't know how much credence I can give to spies having little enough to do but to play Big Brother towards fairly innocent intentioned folk musicians. This whole story has turned quite weird.
Image

User avatar
Philfy Vermin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Philfy Vermin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:02 pm

a little from column a little from column b
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red


General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

User avatar
Dick Dynamite
Posts: 9843
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Dick Dynamite » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:06 pm

Yeah, pretty wild that he's legitimately being targeted for political reasons. Seems immigration is just as stupid as him.

User avatar
NOIDEAWOTEVER
Posts: 1571
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:04 am
Location: AK Super Shitty

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby NOIDEAWOTEVER » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:20 pm

na it's a conspiracy bro

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhcdJqSxBK0[/youtube]

Skoll
Posts: 1058
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:57 am
Location: Wellington
Contact:

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Skoll » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:00 am

If all his songs are that shit then immigration has done a good job.

TomSelleck
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am
Location: over on The Coast

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby TomSelleck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:40 pm

I guess it can all seem a bit far fetched to refuse visas to "innocent intentioned folk musicians" particularly to us kiwis, marooned on our relatively feather-lined south pacific isles. yet people all over the world get barred from crossing borders for the most hair-brained and slightest of reasons all the time. particularly en-route to demos, protests and even forums and gatherings. It would be rather naive to think that somehow OUR dear state has a level of decency or "largess" & "common sense" above and beyond those of others. If you limit your protests to pushing 'likes' on facebook, then yeah, this will all sound paranoid to you and you won't have to ever worry about getting snagged on your way to Burning-Man or whatev...

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby FC » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:03 pm

It seems more far fetched to assume this was anything political, instead of a guy who was refused access to another country because he didn't apply for the relevant visa, then blogged about it, and it got back to immigration in another country which did the same thing.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

User avatar
Dick Dynamite
Posts: 9843
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Dick Dynamite » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:22 pm

Skoll wrote:If all his songs are that shit then immigration has done a good job.



Agreed, jeez, I didn't realise we were talking about someone so crap..

TomSelleck
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am
Location: over on The Coast

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby TomSelleck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 am

FC wrote:It seems more far fetched to assume this was anything political, instead of a guy who was refused access to another country because he didn't apply for the relevant visa, then blogged about it, and it got back to immigration in another country which did the same thing.


I totally agree that in this case it was a work visa issue. no doubt. but which part of government agents reading a guys opinion piece on a blog, and then using those opinions to enact further decisions upon that individual is not political? Hello!
And do you honestly think the immigration officials will ever be issued with a stamp that says "access denied, ideological reject"?

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby FC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 am

Not opinions, he said he was coming to play shows and earn money, and so they said "you don't have the correct visa to do that, we are worried that no matter what you say you will work in NZ and not pay the correct taxes, and thus we won't let you into the country".
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

TomSelleck
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 am
Location: over on The Coast

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby TomSelleck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am

aw shuks! blub blu bl... ANYWAY... as you were! carry on!
lil details...

User avatar
Philfy Vermin
Posts: 2438
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:13 am
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Philfy Vermin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm

yeh point is he may be being singled out because of those political opinions, which is not cool at all, its exactly the reason the gcsb is bad, because of his beliefs he is subject to more scrutiny, its not ok at all.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red


General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

User avatar
Tartanperil
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 am
Location: Dunedin

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby Tartanperil » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:yeh point is he may be being singled out because of those political opinions, which is not cool at all...

Indeed. However, "may" being the operative word - I'm yet to see anything that actually suggests he was targeted because of his political opinion rather than because he bragged publicly not having the correct visa?

User avatar
the croc
Posts: 5772
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: David Rovics: Not welcome in NZ

Postby the croc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Think of all the punk and hardcore bands that have managed to tour here despite their "extreme" political opinions.

The only people I remember getting banned recently was a holocaust denier and a euthanasia campaigner. Generally everyone else has been sweet.

This guy was banned because he was an idiot and then whined about, that is all.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

https://www.facebook.com/paekakarikipunkshow/


Return to “Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests