Where in the fuck is this snow!

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Red_switch

Re: Where in the fuck is this snow!

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:51 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:thats only just been invented?

Nah, been around for yonks, but improved greatly in the last few years. Especially with the advent of split-specific bindings.

I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:00 pm

a lesser known matt wrote:This might intest red_switch and a few others. They just started bringin them in to nz and they look like a good alternative to a split. That way I can ride the jones I picked up in the states last year.

http://www.mtnapproach.com/

Looking like I won't be able to afford them until the end of the season. Would be keen on them now as tukino is looking mean.

Also no mention if the interior BC on here. Spent plenty of time riding fernie and the few others around there and would quite happily relocate to be a hermit up there. Calgary is still close rough to get to a show also.

Oh man, that would be hilarious, to use a Jones board and the mountain approach system. You can get a really decent splitboard setup (including any of several Jones splitboards) for less than the cost of a mountain approach set up... and way less weight to lug around. There are some situations where mtn approach could be useful - but snowshoes would be better, and snowshoes still fucking suck 95% of the time.

Mountain Approach is being bought into NZ by the local Capita distributor. You can't split Capita boards (well you can, but it's horrible) because of their triple base tech. Go figure...

Ruapehu is prime touring terrain from what I've seen, especially once you hit the long warm spring days, get up on a split.

Nice revie vid Snuff. That place sounds insane. A few dewdes I know spent a fair bit of time there 11/12, though they were mostly parked up at Rogers pass in their RV splitboarding/ski touring. Revie was their pic of the lifted areas they hit though. Definitely gonna hit BC sometime, but keen to do Europe first.
I think it's lint.

a lesser known matt

Postby a lesser known matt » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Red_switch wrote:
a lesser known matt wrote:This might intest red_switch and a few others. They just started bringin them in to nz and they look like a good alternative to a split. That way I can ride the jones I picked up in the states last year.

http://www.mtnapproach.com/

Looking like I won't be able to afford them until the end of the season. Would be keen on them now as tukino is looking mean.

Also no mention if the interior BC on here. Spent plenty of time riding fernie and the few others around there and would quite happily relocate to be a hermit up there. Calgary is still close rough to get to a show also.

Oh man, that would be hilarious, to use a Jones board and the mountain approach system. You can get a really decent splitboard setup (including any of several Jones splitboards) for less than the cost of a mountain approach set up... and way less weight to lug around. There are some situations where mtn approach could be useful - but snowshoes would be better, and snowshoes still fucking suck 95% of the time.

Mountain Approach is being bought into NZ by the local Capita distributor. You can't split Capita boards (well you can, but it's horrible) because of their triple base tech. Go figure...

Ruapehu is prime touring terrain from what I've seen, especially once you hit the long warm spring days, get up on a split.

Nice revie vid Snuff. That place sounds insane. A few dewdes I know spent a fair bit of time there 11/12, though they were mostly parked up at Rogers pass in their RV splitboarding/ski touring. Revie was their pic of the lifted areas they hit though. Definitely gonna hit BC sometime, but keen to do Europe first.

Yeah I guess I should be hiking in and staying for week on end in a tent if deeper and further are anything to go by. I did look at the jones splits but was strapped for cash at the time so had to settle for the mountain twin. I saw the vids that simon who's bringing them in posted and mtn approach looked like a good alternative. granted you've got the weight on the back when riding but it does mean not dealing with skins etc. There's the classic tour around from turoa to whakapapa at ruapehu which is a good easy one.

Damn that revie vid just ruins the work day here. Looks real good. They still got the massive $5 pizzas in town there?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:52 pm

Damn nice boards them Mountain Twins, would have one myself if I had the cash to splash! Skins etc are way less hassle than they seem at first eh. If that's too much hassle, then you probably wouldn't find the mountain approach any better ha. Their other line about splits being shit to ride in burly terrain is bs too... Each to their own, but to me it seems like a giant fuckaround. Having a board on your back absolutely blows if you're caught out in strong winds/blizzard etc too. At least with a split you can A-Frame it if you need to.

If it's weight savings you want (which make a massive difference touyrMy Never Summer SL Split + Spark Blaze set up is lighter than the mountain approach skis, and I don't have to carry a board on my back as well. My setup isn't even particularly light...

If you want to save the coin getting into it, start with snowshoes. If you really like it, upgrade to a split in a season or so.
I think it's lint.

a lesser known matt

Postby a lesser known matt » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:09 pm

Red_switch wrote:Damn nice boards them Mountain Twins, would have one myself if I had the cash to splash! Skins etc are way less hassle than they seem at first eh. If that's too much hassle, then you probably wouldn't find the mountain approach any better ha. Their other line about splits being shit to ride in burly terrain is bs too... Each to their own, but to me it seems like a giant fuckaround. Having a board on your back absolutely blows if you're caught out in strong winds/blizzard etc too. At least with a split you can A-Frame it if you need to.

If it's weight savings you want (which make a massive difference touyrMy Never Summer SL Split + Spark Blaze set up is lighter than the mountain approach skis, and I don't have to carry a board on my back as well. My setup isn't even particularly light...

If you want to save the coin getting into it, start with snowshoes. If you really like it, upgrade to a split in a season or so.

how do you find them on edge when skinning? Given i've got ruapehu to contend with, having an edge is needed. Turns out they got 40cms of fresh in the last 24 hours which is not too bad at all.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Haven't had a problem there, although you want to spend some time getting your head around skinning before heading out to traverse really slick slopes. Rotten sugary snow is worse to traverse often, as it's not super supportive, and like marbles...

I know a few people that have split crampons. Personally if it's getting really hard and dicey I just rock boot crampons. Being on foot is as fast as skinning in those conditions, and my boots really lend themselves to that.
I think it's lint.

Little Miss Twoshoes

Postby Little Miss Twoshoes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:52 pm

It's so fucking warm today, I'm wearing booty shorts and jandals. In July. Fucking *sweet*
"Personally, monsieur," said Poirot, "I don't give le fuck."

Shoot first, think never!

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:53 am

Started getting a few flurries this week, sitting between -2 and -8 most nights so not long now!

Paid for my season pass this week too so stoked.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:32 am

It's snowing in Staverly/Mt Somers right now
Uncinia vector

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:42 pm

Open day in the morning!

Scored a new Burton setup too, 2012 Hero 155 w/ cartel bindings... CA$200 woot!!!

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:53 am

Decent! What're prices like for setups in Canada typically? All going to plan I'm gonna be over for 4-5 months next September onward. Don't really want to lug my sub-par gear with me.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

snuff

Postby snuff » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:25 pm

For brand new season gear you're looking at anywhere up to about $400 for a board, and up to $300 for bindings.

Quality second hand is everywhere, I got lucky with that setup as it was a friend who picked it up at the end of last season rode a week and is moving to Oz soon so not riding this season.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Rad. I'm pretty fuckin' excited.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

snuff

Postby snuff » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:14 am

Where you looking at hitting up?

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 am

Gonna be studying at Waterloo near Toronto all going to plan. Figured once exams finished in December I'd head to BC for a couple of weeks.

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:55 pm

Nice, yeah I'm hoping to hit up Revelstoke for a few days this season.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:54 am

I just looked it up on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiRuT8h5oPE , looks pretty sick.
Having done pretty much all my boarding at Ruapehu anywhere in the northern hemisphere is going to seem insane in comparison.

snuff

Postby snuff » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 am

For sure.

Hit a couple meter deep pow spots today shit was ridiculous.

Back leg is cooked now.

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:06 pm

My week has been evenly divided between obsessively watching videos from Revelstoke and obsessively studying for my exams. Trying to figure out if I can afford to spend a month working my way across various skifields in BC

snuff

Postby snuff » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:01 am

My friends that hit it up last season said it's pretty hilarious, you roll into Revy and pretty much every shop has a sign up in the window saying 'Closed for Pow'.

Gonna try hiring some snowmobiles when we go and hit up some back country, can't use em here cos we're in a National Park which kinda sucks.

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31 pm

Ahh no way, is this a snow discussion thread? Kept skipping it because I assumed it had devolved into some off-topic punkas shit.

I'm heading overseas for the season in three weeks, four months of skiing bitches
Going to order a gopro this time so I don't need to TALK shit to everyone about it for a change this time.

Revelstoke is the shit, I haven't been, but have only heard good things. It's really exploded lately though? Wonder if it's even possible to get skibum work there anymore?

daggers

Postby daggers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:52 pm

Rizzo wrote:Trying to figure out if I can afford to spend a month working my way across various skifields in BC

I would recommend not working at all if you can afford it
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Nah nah, I mean going to as many fields as possible, working as in going thoroughly thru, not actually making $$$. Aiming to save 4-5k. Reckon that should cover me for a month.

daggers

Postby daggers » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 pm

Should be enough to live on if you already have gears

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:44 am

Revelstoke is stuck in my brain though - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol87Oecb3-s

Terrified by the idea of getting drowned under a tree though.

daggers

Postby daggers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:14 am

that's what makes it fun :)

snuff

Postby snuff » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Managed to ride 10 days already, been awesome.

Seen a dude eat shit yesterday and stack into a tree, broke both legs.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:32 am

aerozol wrote:Ahh no way, is this a snow discussion thread? Kept skipping it because I assumed it had devolved into some off-topic punkas shit.

I'm heading overseas for the season in three weeks, four months of skiing bitches
Going to order a gopro this time so I don't need to TALK shit to everyone about it for a change this time.

Revelstoke is the shit, I haven't been, but have only heard good things. It's really exploded lately though? Wonder if it's even possible to get skibum work there anymore?

Fuck GoPro, haha.

No overseas for me... and spring has been a bit lean snow wise for the local bc (and work too busy to get up on the glaciers), although got our eye on a line in Fiordland for the holiday period...

Did have a good season of splitboarding though... never as much time on the snow as you'd like. Splitfest at Temple Basin was rad this year, hit some really sweet lines for the first time, including these chutes:

Skinned around in Upper Bills

And found plenty of pow (not me riding, my pic):
I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:35 am

haha, massive pics. Fuck you.

If you want to read/see a kiwi dude absolutely stepping up (riding on the Freeride world tour this season, hitting some of the heaviest lines ridden in NZ and elsewhere...) check this out http://ruarimacfarlane.wordpress.com/
I think it's lint.

snuff

Postby snuff » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:16 am

Good pics though bro!

This is one I took yesterday, all the fencing below is the start of the World Cup Downhill which kicks off here in a couple days.

Return to “Current Affairs”