Where in the fuck is this snow!

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Lamb

Re: Where in the fuck is this snow!

Postby Lamb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:12 pm

daggers wrote:rode LL/Sunshine for about 5 weeks in 2011. Was heaps mean. Could easily live there and lose my mind

trying to plan another snow holiday that will be just as good, I hear they are Nazis in Japan so I was thinking maybe NSW (Perisher/Threadbo)?

I worked at Sunshine oct-dec 2011.. and snow was shit as... So I left and went to Whistler... now that was pretty amazing..
(but then sunshine got like.. best snow ever... the week after i left.. so whatevs)

I've heard pretty good things about Hotham in VIC.... But more good things about Japan...

Philfy Vermin
Location: pointing two fingers at head and making 'peow' noises

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:19 pm

must be cool you guys hanging out up there in the snow with no poor people around.
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

General Mutante wrote:You're so controversial. I can't handle it.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:21 pm

daggers wrote:
snuff wrote:Nah only ever come across a couple of Kiwis.

Did you ride here at some point?

rode LL/Sunshine for about 5 weeks in 2011. Was heaps mean. Could easily live there and lose my mind

trying to plan another snow holiday that will be just as good, I hear they are Nazis in Japan so I was thinking maybe NSW (Perisher/Threadbo)?

Good joke!

Cunts don't even have any snow yet!

European alps hopefully this coming nz summer.
I think it's lint.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Philfy Vermin wrote:must be cool you guys hanging out up there in the snow with no poor people around.

Love it. Having lots of rich idiots around doesn't mean there are no poor people around. I'm broke as fuck.
I think it's lint.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:25 pm

whatever, i bet youre up there in you dads humvee on your 8k snowboard with your 1k executive season pass and and your rolex watch
Hail to the demons of the earth and kaos anarchy and destruction to those who exploit our human rights and starve the poor and make us suffer for the dead now walk the earth the armys of the dead hail vampires and all creatures of the night hail to the white moon and drtink the blood of our enimies and paint the town red

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm

hahahaha yea man, that's exactly right.
I think it's lint.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:29 pm

seriously tho it is a prohibitively expensive pastime

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:33 pm

I don't buy that eh. It might seem it on the surface, but if you make it a priority amongst other things, then it needn't really be any more "expensive" than anything else. Having a splitboard or touring rig helps keep costs down too eh ;)
I think it's lint.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:36 pm

lol

it might seem that on the surface?

whats the range of the cheapest usable snowboards to most expensive?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:46 pm

You can be completely kitted with a set up that isn't complete shit for $600. You can spend as much as you like really, but you'd struggle to go over $2.5K for a snowboard setup. You'd be a chump to spend any more than that. My split set up cost just over $2K, but every day I'm on that is generally a day I'm not paying for lift tickets (or that I'm not getting value for my season pass, so bit of a double edger really...). Avvy kit is a bit of an investment, but it's crucial and generally lasts a fair while. Splits are way cheaper now that they are actually realistically available in NZ, and since Jeremy Jones made every man and his dog want one. And... there's a massive second hand market out there too.

I find mountain biking way more fucking expensive. Especially when shit breaks. In the last 12 months I've probably managed to blow more on climbing gear than riding gear. If I was a musician then no doubt the money would go in that direction.

If you're an idiot, sure, it can be expensive, but we're not all idiots here are we?
I think it's lint.

Lamb

Postby Lamb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Drinking everyday can be an expensive hobby.... and I guess you're not super able to save a bunch on the dole eh..... Each to their own.

Red switch.. I've lost a T-screw off my highback.. I got a bolt from bunnings and hoping to put it in backwards..... do you know anything else that might work or anywhere I can find one?! (R and R sport didn't know anything :/)

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:17 pm

yeah r and r are fucking shit. What sort of binders you got? Id go to an actual fasteners place (blacks are good down here). If they don't have the right one (since most bindings are at least designed in the states they can have retarded imperial fittings and fasteners) they'll probably have something that will fit. I figure you mean one of the t nuts that goes through a hole in the heel cup to hold the highback? If that's the case you'll get away with something slightly smaller as long as there isn't too much play. But yea if you let me know the binding make/model I might be able to help out more...
I think it's lint.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Lamb wrote:Drinking everyday can be an expensive hobby.... and I guess you're not super able to save a bunch on the dole eh..... Each to their own.

ah well thats the truth, not that im on the dole, or have been recently, not super likely to ever be again the way the world is turning at the moment.

im only being a cunt anyway, it is no different to any sport, im just a bit jealous cos i dont live in an area where i can, at least without massive travel costs.

il just buy another bike.

Lamb

Postby Lamb » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Yeah that's what I mean.. it's the one on the right side..
I don't even know how/when... since the weathers been shit every day I've been off so far this season so haven't even been. Sooo annoyed.

K2 Charm.. (yeah they're shit and I hate them but can't afford new ones..)

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:24 pm

Fuk g don't do k2 den ski U mite dy g

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:34 pm

what is a split anyway?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:20 pm

a splitboard, a snowboard that splits into two skis to facilitate uphill travel, then put back together for the ride back down
I think it's lint.

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:40 am

thats only just been invented?

buckton

Postby buckton » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:27 pm

I was gonna be a smart ass and say it split in half do you could put it in a bag.
ImageImageImage

daggers

Postby daggers » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:25 pm

Lamb wrote:I worked at Sunshine oct-dec 2011.. and snow was shit as... So I left and went to Whistler... now that was pretty amazing..
(but then sunshine got like.. best snow ever... the week after i left.. so whatevs)

I've heard pretty good things about Hotham in VIC.... But more good things about Japan...

Buzzy. We probably crossed paths at some point. Whistler is shit, I refuse to pay spend all that money just to live there.
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Yeah fuck whistler, too many aussies.

First season I was out here Sunshine got like 30m of pow, ridiculous...

Phil you're so wrong. Sure a lot of rich weekend warriors come out, but Mon - Thurs the hill is just locals who work shitty hospo gigs and get season passes on payroll deduction lol.

Splits are a good concept for getting off trail but lack the flexibility I'm personally after.
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

Philfy Vermin

Postby Philfy Vermin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:41 pm

i was just stirring

daggers

Postby daggers » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:29 am

Yeah I know which is why I didn't bite. But the 10K I saved up working a shitty job at the coffee shop was well spent and I'd do it again any time

Lamb

Postby Lamb » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:44 am

daggers wrote:
Lamb wrote:I worked at Sunshine oct-dec 2011.. and snow was shit as... So I left and went to Whistler... now that was pretty amazing..

Buzzy. We probably crossed paths at some point. Whistler is shit, I refuse to pay spend all that money just to live there.

Yeahhh I worked on Wolverine... was some british wanker I got into huge fights with most days... part of the reason I left.

Ended up in Whistler completely by chance... had every intention to avoid the place like the plague.... but went for new years stayed 4months. To be fair i was getting $7 an hour more than at sunshine... PLUS tips.. housing was about the same (shared an attic w some random dude.. who was never home.. so was sweet for me..)..discounted ski pass if you attended a wanky seminar on being an ambassador for Whistler etc etcccc

Oh and I LOVE vancouver so liked being close!

Defo too many aussies... but to be fair I'd gone to Canada from Australia... so seemed about the same.................. :/

a lesser known matt

Postby a lesser known matt » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 pm

This might intest red_switch and a few others. They just started bringin them in to nz and they look like a good alternative to a split. That way I can ride the jones I picked up in the states last year.

http://www.mtnapproach.com/

Looking like I won't be able to afford them until the end of the season. Would be keen on them now as tukino is looking mean.

Also no mention if the interior BC on here. Spent plenty of time riding fernie and the few others around there and would quite happily relocate to be a hermit up there. Calgary is still close rough to get to a show also.

daggers

Postby daggers » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:35 pm

I rode Kicking Horse which was ok, pretty steep and the lifts are gnarly. We picked a bad day though and it was super icy. I also rode Cypress in Vancouver a couple of times which was a nice warm up for Banff

a lesser known matt

Postby a lesser known matt » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:43 pm

daggers wrote:I rode Kicking Horse which was ok, pretty steep and the lifts are gnarly. We picked a bad day though and it was super icy. I also rode Cypress in Vancouver a couple of times which was a nice warm up for Banff

Last time at kicking horse the cat track switchbacked all the way down form the top so on a fresh day you could just head straight down blasting of the track a heap of times. Then next run just change your line by 5-10 meters as there was such few people there. Cypress is pretty fun when it's good. Rode a bunch there and Grouse when we were living in Van. Good being able to shoot up after work for a couple hours and it only taking 20 minutes to get home afterwards.

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah Fernie is great, faaaaaast runs. Calgary? Wouldn't really count COP lol...

Revy has been going off, couple huge pow days there last season.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw8eBRBWxBY[/youtube]
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

daggers

Postby daggers » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:34 pm

hnnnnng

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 am

Philfy Vermin wrote:thats only just been invented?

Nah, been around for yonks, but improved greatly in the last few years. Especially with the advent of split-specific bindings.
I think it's lint.

Return to “Current Affairs”