Eradicate the feline menace

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
kettles

Eradicate the feline menace

Postby kettles » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 am

Morgan calls for cats to be wiped out

Top New Zealand economist Gareth Morgan is launching a campaign to eradicate domestic cats.

Dr Morgan has set up a website called Cats to Go, where he calls the animals sadists and natural-born killers that destroy native wildlife.

SPCA chief executive Bob Kerridge called the scheme "hare-brained" and offensive.

He understood Dr Morgan wanted people to stop buying new cats and to not replace pets when they die.

"People consider cats to be a member of the family. So he's trying to, quite frankly, take away the civil liberties we all have to choose who we want in our home."

On the Cats To Go website, there's a photoshopped image of a kitten with red eyes and devil's horns.

And on the homepage the words "That little ball of fluff you own is a natural-born killer" are scrawled across a video which says: "Cats are the only true sadists of the animal world" and calls cats serial killers.

"Birds bond for life ... until your cat kills one," one of the slides in the video says.

The video was uploaded to YouTube two years ago by an account called "catsinside" and has received almost 9000 views.

The reasoning given for the campaign is that "cats are incredibly effective hunters and are wiping out our native birds".

The website says that in order for us to continue being a premium clean, green tourism destination we need to start making steps in this direction.

It states that owners should keep their pets indoors 24 hours a day, fit them with a bell, and do not replace them when they die.

"While there are many issues to address, getting one step closer to being a pest-free New Zealand would most certainly be a step in the right direction," the website says.

Dr Morgan did not return Herald calls yesterday.

He has previously spoken out against cats. In a post on his blog in August last year, Dr Morgan said: "Sorry, at the risk of causing a Pussy Riot, that ball of fluff you have at home is as much a predator as stoats, rats and mice. It has to go."

He said that removing predators was a prerequisite for building back the community of our native fauna.

Mr Kerridge said Dr Morgan's logic was "a bit radical, over the top and completely wrong".

He also questioned the validity of the economist's research.

The video says research shows that "if you put a small animal next to an eating cat, it will pause, kill it, then return to its meal". But the 1975 study quoted, as referenced on the website, shows that of 44 subjects, 26 did not attack prey (more than 50 per cent), and many who did kill presented defensive postures.

Mr Kerridge said they knew from SPCA surveys that fewer than half of New Zealand's domestic cats killed other animals. The ones that did caught far more rodents than birds.

"People blindly say, 'Yes, it's cats that kill all the birds'.

"Gareth Morgan is way out of line because very few native birds fall at the hand of cats, domestic cats."

In 2011, the total cat population was 1.419 million and 48 per cent of all households owned at least one cat, according to a survey by the New Zealand Companion Animal Council.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10860618

Red_switch

Re: Eradicate the feline menace

Postby Red_switch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Morgan's a cock smoker, but I more or less agree.
I think it's lint.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Backed. Cats are pretty cool, but it isn't a basic human right to be able to own one. Da fuck? We banned Ferrets as pets for much the same reason and who thinks that was a bad idea? Any argument that applies to ferrets also applies to cats, surely.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm

When were ferrets banned as pets?
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 pm

about ten years ago. though any owned at the time were allowed to be kept the breeding and sale is now illegal. doesn't stop people though. i've seen them openly on sale at markets here.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 pm

this is fucking retarded. although i do think if you live close to native bush areas your cat has to have a bell and i personally wouldn't get a cat if i lived somewhere like that. but as the article points out cats kill far more rodents, what would happen to the rodent population if cats weren't around? the only 'serial killer' cat i've ever lived with used to bring in massive rats from the bush as presents, never any fucking tuis or anything. all the other cats i've lived with/owned have been way to fat and lazy to go hunt down a kea or whatever the fuck. seriously, i'll never understand why people put their personal integrity on the line with something so stupid as this - there are so many other environmental battles that could use his influence and not make him look like a fucking moron.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:42 pm

Maybe cats can be aversion trained like dogs are, doesnt seem that hard an idea to com up with, this guy is a dick. Cats don't usually kill birds in the bush, but they can wipe out sensitive populations when they do, in the end he's sort of right, all wild mammals need to go, but he's just turning people against 'greenies' some mining company probably dug him up and gave him his platform
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:He's just turning people against 'greenies' some mining company probably dug him up and gave him his platform

Given some of his other recent rants, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Wouldn't trust the cunt as far as I could throw him.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

Max

Postby Max » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 pm

Gareth is kind of punk in a politically incorrect, right wing, shock jock sort of way. He's also more or less right about this.

Cats have actually contributed very little to human survival. They inveigled themselves into human society using the cuteness factor. Can't blame them I guess, every species has to have a survival strategy. In the case of the domestic cat, it's playing on their cuteness and relying primarily on humans for the daily feed. Still, they have the bird/rat catching skills as backup if they need them.

Cats won't fetch your paper for you, they won't bark at intruders, they won't defend you against attackers. They won't do anything you tell them to, they're basically useless. But they're cute.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Uhhhhh what? Is that how you view the worth of animal companions, how they have impacted human survival?
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 am

Well this article came out just over a week ago, but it didn't have Gareth Morgan in it or an 'extreme' opinion, so I guess no one cared:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/8180 ... it-killers
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

bruce wayne

Postby bruce wayne » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:57 am

dogs savagely attack small children i don`t see anyone calling for them to be disposed of

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:24 am

so do maoris, should dispose of them too right?

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am

I think he has a point, but he's being (as usual) inflammatory in how he goes about it. Whoever put foward the theory about him being put there to cause damage to the environmental movement may have a good point.
Yes, cats kill stuff, and yes domestic family moggies kill stuff (probably way more than their owners realise), but it would be way more constructive to get people talking about solutions which benefit everyone. In places where your cat may get eaten by local wildlife (ie, parts of the States, some states of Australia) people have "catios". Awesome idea which has the added bonus of your cat not being run over, not getting pregnant or infected by cat aids, and not being in fights- all while being able to do it's happy cat behaviours (apart from killing shit, and you could probably chuck a handful of sparrows or mice in there for it if you really thought it was neccessary). Check out the link below:
http://catioshowcase.com/
I love cats- I was raised by a siamese cat called Saki- but until I can do a catio type thing, I won't get another cat.
Uncinia vector

[Tim]

Postby [Tim] » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:30 pm

Both my cats were rescued from a pest control cage :baton:

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:53 pm

loving all the above posts right now :)

the croc

Postby the croc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:55 pm

dustbinflowers wrote:I think he has a point, but he's being (as usual) inflammatory in how he goes about it. Whoever put foward the theory about him being put there to cause damage to the environmental movement may have a good point.
Yes, cats kill stuff, and yes domestic family moggies kill stuff (probably way more than their owners realise), but it would be way more constructive to get people talking about solutions which benefit everyone. In places where your cat may get eaten by local wildlife (ie, parts of the States, some states of Australia) people have "catios". Awesome idea which has the added bonus of your cat not being run over, not getting pregnant or infected by cat aids, and not being in fights- all while being able to do it's happy cat behaviours (apart from killing shit, and you could probably chuck a handful of sparrows or mice in there for it if you really thought it was neccessary). Check out the link below:
http://catioshowcase.com/
I love cats- I was raised by a siamese cat called Saki- but until I can do a catio type thing, I won't get another cat.

Hooray for common sense.
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Agnes

Postby Agnes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Morgan calls for cat takeaway restarant chain
Dr Morgan has set up a restaurant called Cats to Go, where he calls the animals delicious and natural-born entrees that go well with chardonnay.

SPCA chief executive Bob Kerridge called the scheme "hare-brained" and offensive.

I find this offensive to my tastebuds.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:31 pm

Fuck this cunt, same guy who thinks its ok for a sports team owner to participate in training and advise tactics, fuck off cunt you cloned eBay and got lucky, fuck off

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 am

He didn't, his kid did.
I think it's lint.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:47 am

Yeh I kinda knew that but threw it in there anyway

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:56 am

Fuck yeah.

His whole Antarctica thing was a fucking shambles too. One of his gang got absolutely schooled by an actual scientist on his blog, was pretty nerd lol
I think it's lint.

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

This is just one morning's trap line at Macraes Flat in Otago in 2004. The cats (in addition to the stoats, ferrets, weasels, hedgehogs, rats, possums, magpies) were driving two seriously endangered species of giant skink (grand and Otago skinks) to extinction. Only intensive predator control has saved the skinks. (Photo: Nicola Toki)

Some scientists are backing Gareth Morgan's campaign to control cats in order to protect native species, but say more also needs to be done to counter other predators.

Morgan, a philanthropist and economist, launched the Cats to Go website yesterday, which calls for the eradication of the "friendly neighbourhood serial killer".

Killing cats was an option, but cat owners should also control their pets in order to protect native species, the website said.

University of Otago senior lecturer in zoology, Dr Yolanda van Heezik, supported Morgan's campaign, saying his proposals were reasonable and would prove effective.

"Consider using a collar with a bell: our research has shown they reduced catch by 50 per cent," van Heezik said.

"Consider keeping your cat inside at all times. This ruling is in effect already in some parts of Australia. And consider not replacing your cat when it eventually dies."

The Cats to Go website is calling for all cats to be kept inside for 24 hours a day, registered, micro chipped and neutered "while setting live capture cage traps on your property and turning the miscreants over to the local authority should be encouraged".

There were about 225 cats per square kilometre in urban areas and it was domestic cats which were the most threat to native species, van Heezik said.

"They are more likely to hunt wildlife populations to extinction, as they do not rely on wild prey for food, so they are less likely to switch to alternative sources of prey when their prey population becomes so depleted it costs too much energy to hunt for it."

Van Heezik has studied the issue and found cats brought an average of 13 prey, including rats, mice, lizards and invertebrates, back to their homes each year.

A study from the United States using kittycams, however, has shown that cats only brought back one third of what they caught and killed.

But cats weren't the only problem and the advantages of them predating on other predators needed to be considered, Landcare Research scientist John Innes said.

"In New Zealand also, cats alone cannot be blamed for the loss of any species," Innes said.

"However, they are undoubtedly key contributors to declines of some birds [and other fauna] in some places...so potentially are hedgehogs, ferrets, stoats, four wheel drive vehicles, people walking dogs and fishermen.

"In New Zealand native forests, ship rats are the major prey, and this little-seen predator eats many more birds than cats do."

When cats, ferrets and hedgehogs were the target of an eradication campaign in Mackenzie Basin, possums and Norway rats then ate the black-fronted terns, Innes said.

Cats hunt other predators, but little research has been done to show whether the negative effects of cats on native species outweighs the positive effects of their predation on rats and mice, Innes said.

"However, keeping cats inside, especially at night, will negate these possible positive effects."
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 am

Some helpful science here: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/09/kil ... they-look/

Although it fails to show the impact of removing cats (as predators of rodents) on birds, because I suspect no one has actually researched this.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:21 am

But cats weren't the only problem and the advantages of them predating on other predators needed to be considered, Landcare Research scientist John Innes said.

"In New Zealand also, cats alone cannot be blamed for the loss of any species," Innes said."However, they are undoubtedly key contributors to declines of some birds [and other fauna] in some places...so potentially are hedgehogs, ferrets, stoats, four wheel drive vehicles, people walking dogs and fishermen.

Cats were responsible for the extinction of the Stephens Island Wren.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephens_Island_Wren
Uncinia vector

Any Day Now

Postby Any Day Now » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 am

as I was reading this my cat gifted me a headless sparrow :(

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:49 pm

its well known amongst those in bush based pest control that wild cats feed mainly on rats, an autopsy survey of wild cats was done in the ureweras some time ago, and they found their stomachs contained almost exclusively rats, very few indeed had been eating birds, we do need to control the cats, but the rats are a worse problem and must be dealt with first.

i honestly think morgan is doing a disservice to the environmental effort, its so very like an attempt to alienate the public from the cause by arousing an emotional response against them.

if he really wants to help he could spend his megabucks on a campaign against 1080 and financing and researching alternate methods of pest control.
Last edited by Fiction & Falsehood on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:57 pm

What were the super bad effects you personally saw of 1080 when you were in the bush?
And what sort of damage do the rats do if they're unchecked by wild cats?
This shits interesting.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:05 pm

i never saw any effects of 1080 personally, by definition, i worked areas where 1080 wasnt dropped, if we were there, that meant 1080 couldnt be dropped in that area and therefore it was worked by us by trapping, and cyaniding mainly.

and cute wee rattys eat EVERYTHING, the norway rat is the number one bush criminal, not possums, not cats, not pigs, goats, deer or wild dogs, the only creature more damaging to the bush environment is the rock ape which is endemic in this country.

il see if i can find some links on the damage done by 1080 and im pretty sure i can find some info on the history of rats in NZ, which i find staggering it isnt taught in school along with the napier earthquake, mt erebus, tangiwai and other hideous distasters.

Return to “Current Affairs”