"The Beast of Blenheim"

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Max

Re: "The Beast of Blenheim"

Postby Max » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Not sure how scientific this is, but pedophilia is an orientation just like homosexuality is. The difference of course being that homosexuality involves consenting adults, whereas abusing kids or in any way involving them in your fucked up fantasies is just wrong.

We can't change how they think or who they are, we can only require them not to act on it.

scott penk

Postby scott penk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Skoll wrote:
scott penk wrote:
FC wrote:Under his bail conditions he's lucky if he could talk to a person without getting thrown back in jail.

or getting lynched in the main street of wanganui.

It's Whanganui now, good to see racist colonialism is alive and well on this forum.

lol, good to see people overreacting over a missing letter is alive and well in this forum.
I just write wanganui out of habit. if they put an extra letter in wellington or christchurch id probably forget to put that in too.

sorry, i mean if they put back a letter which was missing

Lamb

Postby Lamb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 pm

^leading the "racist colonial front" one letter at a time since 2012.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:05 pm

i like how people pronounce it 'fonger-nui' if you want to pronounce it correctly its not fucking hard, well it seems it is for some people, so since youre stupid just pronounce it the way you used to before the big H came along, since thats closer than your PC idiocy.

thank you for your time, fucktard.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Max

Postby Max » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 pm

How you pronounce "wh" depends what iwi you're from, but the spelling is the same regardless. "Wanganui" is simply a mis-spelling.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:57 pm

that is a futile argument since if iwi was the only consideration in how to pronounce it then if youre not from such an iwi -or in the case of seemingly most people who insist on suddenly pronouncing it different, any iwi at all, shouldnt you default to how the locals pronounce it?
after all its their fucking name, if we dont have to respect the pronunciation then why do we have to respect the spelling?

what a load of horseshit, seriously.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

Lamb

Postby Lamb » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:39 pm

After 10 years of complaining to the bank that they left out a letter in my name.. finally the figured out how to fix it this week. Always made it awkward explaining when I had something offical why my name was missing a letter. I feel their pain.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:13 am

Remember redneck Sunday Times columnist Frank Haden? He used to insist that "oter-hu" was the correct way to pronounce "Otahuhu", and if you actually pronounced it "aw-ta-hu-hu" then you're "politically correct" (the ultimate insult).

He'd be proud of F&F.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:34 am

to be 'PC' is to be stupid, i know there are people on here who think its nice to try not to offend people, but the whole concept of being politically correct misses the point completely, simply referring to things with other names changes intent not one iota, and mongreling a word up even further to demonstrate obsequience only makes you look like a fool in the eyes of any sane person.
attempting to explain that to a standard leftwing nut is rather pointless tho.

i tend to pronounce otahu in the wrong way, cos thats how most of my friends from there do, but that goes for a lot of main centers in new zealand, i often wonder why it doesnt occur to PCPOS that we are actually speaking another language, with a different vowel structure, its not like these twits make any attempt to pronounce 'paris, france' in the french manner, they dont refer to germany as 'deutchland', japan as 'nippon' or any of the long list of other placenames that are pronounced differently in their native languages to how they are in english. :roll:

it seems to me you conceded you were wrong when you compared me to a rednecker, (i dont remember him, nor care a shit about his ignorant opinions) i dont think the white cunt way of saying it is 'correct' but it is valid if youre the kind of person who just refuses to learn any te reo, that kind of person might be a racist in your opinion, and they usually are in mine too, but it doesnt change the fact that they are simply saying a word in another language.
personally i pick and choose how i pronounce maori placenames based on what i reckon seems right, i avoid simply modifying my language for my audience, as that would make me a phony dickhead, so i just choose what seems prevalent among the locals and how i hear it most often, so i say 'tauranga' in the white way, but 'whakatane' and 'murupara' in the maori way, simply cos thats how the people i know in each area largely pronounce it(with very little skincolour based variation i tend to notice, cos most people reject PC idiocy).

so what are you gunna do about otago? in maori its otakau, do you refer to it in that manner or are you a phony ass politically correct piece of shit?

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 am

Jesus Phill, Maxs first post was totally spot on your reaction seems a bit extreme..
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 am

people who say 'fongernooey' are morons, if that makes me a rightwinger then whatever, pronouncing a word wrong cos TVNZ does is possibly the stupidest logic i can think of.

ghetto ninja

Postby ghetto ninja » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:33 am

No he pointed out how it's pronounced depends what iwi you're from. That's absolutely correct.
But I'm the same as you and pronounce it the way the locals pronounce it, that doesn't make what Max originally said wrong.
Martyrdamn wrote:Said 'hey baby gurl' to about seven girls tonight,
turns out girls don't like guys talking about getting up in their guts,
fagets, right.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:17 pm

but following that logic pronouncing otahuhu 'otar-who' -or my favourite, otara as 'oh-trah' -would be correct, you cant have it both ways.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 pm

It will be a long time before English people pronounce Paris in the French way, but the trend worldwide is towards using native names and pronunciations, so Peking is Beijing, Bombay is Mumbai, Madras is Chennai etc.

In my experience, when people moan about "political correctness" it's usually just an excuse for being rude. Maori have made it clear that they don't appreciate their place names being mangled. Why is it so hard to respect their wishes? It baffles me that people get so worked up about something as simple as spelling and pronouncing a place name correctly.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 pm

precisely, so why do you refuse to pronounce it correctly?

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 pm

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx4Bc6_eE[/video]

Max

Postby Max » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:06 am

That clip is missing his best quote ever:

"If political correctness has achieved one thing, it's that it has made the Conservative party cloak their inherent racism behind more creative language”.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:53 am

the only thing it has achieved in that context is an excuse for idiots to avoid the topic.

ive always seen political correctness as something that racist(or sexist/homophobic/whatever) people do to cover that fact, for example, the politically correct way to pronounce maori place names is almost always different to the correct way to pronounce it, the aim isnt so much to change your thinking its to disguise it.

its almost exclusively employed by people who have very little contact with or knowledge of the people they seek to pretend they arent secretly afraid of.

the examples in that clip sounded more like direct racism than the plain old ignorance that political correctness purports to counter, if i really felt it was responsible for breaking down racial barriers and racist notions then i would think it a good thing, but i see it as BEST as institutional politeness, and at worst as a guide to secret bigotry.

in reality i think the only thing it does is provide an avenue for you to undermine my argument and paint me as a racist for refusing to respect the idiot wishes of manipulative scum, not the wishes of the minority or group in question, since, as i pointed out originally, the correct pronunciation is closer to 'hwanganui' than 'whanganui' and if youre too lazy to do that, i dont really see how you can claim the moral high ground, making a continuing implication that im some kind of racist conservative for thinking thats stupid, is just the kind of petty crap that it seems to me that 'PC" is really for.

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:17 pm

It's gone mad, hasn't it, this politically correct nonsense..

:popcorn:

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:21 pm

before political correctness being politically correct was just known as being a gay spastic...

...to paraphrase jimmy carr
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Sicinius

Postby Sicinius » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:24 pm

It's horrible isn't it - being nice to people.

Max

Postby Max » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:22 pm

You can't even write racial abuse in excrement on someone's car without the politically correct brigade jumping down your throat. It's gone mad I tell you...

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:24 pm

did you just sig your own comment?

well im done.

Skoll

Postby Skoll » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:04 pm

scott penk wrote:
Skoll wrote:
scott penk wrote:or getting lynched in the main street of wanganui.

It's Whanganui now, good to see racist colonialism is alive and well on this forum.

lol, good to see people overreacting over a missing letter is alive and well in this forum.
I just write wanganui out of habit. if they put an extra letter in wellington or christchurch id probably forget to put that in too.

sorry, i mean if they put back a letter which was missing

It was a joke.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 am

yeh? well look what your joke caused, next time i hope you think about it before you post, the internet is serious business.

Skoll

Postby Skoll » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:53 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:yeh? well look what your joke caused, next time i hope you think about it before you post, the internet is serious business.

Well I got a laugh out of it anyway.

Matt
Site Admin

Postby Matt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:17 pm

I drove through Wanganui the other day and notice the sign says: WANGANUI/WHANGANUI. So they seem to be hedging their bets.

It was my understanding - and I can't remember where the fuck I got this from - that the correct spelling is 'Whanganui' but that local Maori pronounce that 'Wanganui', which is where the misspelling came from when the colonials wrote it down.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:35 pm

yeh, thats pretty much right, theres an accent on the 'w' like 'hw' but if your not a maori speaker pronouncing it as a 'w' has gotta be better than as an 'f'

Lamb

Postby Lamb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Matt wrote:I drove through Wanganui the other day and notice the sign says: WANGANUI/WHANGANUI. So they seem to be hedging their bets.

99% sure when I drove past a turn off (coming from the south) the other day it said "Wanganui" :?
I'm bloody lost.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:41 pm

I drove out there a while back, and I think most signs were just W until you got near there, I can't really remember though as it was the least of my concerns. My understanding is similar to Matts.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

Return to “Current Affairs”