megaupload.com shut down

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
akaxo

megaupload.com shut down

Postby akaxo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:42 am

stuff wrote:United States federal prosecutors in Virginia have shut down one of the world's largest file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws.

The indictment accuses the company of costing copyright holders more than US$500 million (NZ$623 million) in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed on Thursday (US time), one day after websites shut down in protest of two congressional proposals intended to thwart the online piracy of copyrighted movies and TV programs.

Megaupload.com has claimed it is diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

The indictment says at one point, Megaupload was the 13th most popular website in the world.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

FrankGrimes

Re: megaupload.com shut down

Postby FrankGrimes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:28 am

Sheeet. If they shut mediafire too I am fukd

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:39 am

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:50 am

Those sites are pretty clear (officially at least) that they should not be used for illegal activity. I'm not sure how much use the site is for legitimate purposes but the fact remains that they are pretty diligent with removing copywrited files when they are reported. Next they will be shutting down blogspot.com for hosting music blogs.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 am

yeah exactly.

what's the next step? we deport the two new zealand residents to face charges in the US?

megaupload is an "international criminal organisation", ffs.

Phlegm

Postby Phlegm » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:41 am

Lurch wrote:Those sites are pretty clear (officially at least) that they should not be used for illegal activity. I'm not sure how much use the site is for legitimate purposes but the fact remains that they are pretty diligent with removing copywrited files when they are reported. Next they will be shutting down blogspot.com for hosting music blogs.

Google, who are blogspot, does a purge of blogspot blogs that post stuff that is in print every now and again.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN

http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Looks like anon is hitting back pretty hard http://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike

Update: Anonymous says they've also knocked off the RIAA's site—looks down for us at the moment as well.

Update 2: Universal Music Group has also fallen off an e-cliff.

Update 3: Goodbye for now, MPAA.org.

Update 4: Affected sites are bouncing in and out of life, and are at the very least super slow to load. Anon agents are currently trying to coordinate their DDoS attacks in the same direction via IRC.

Update 5: The US Copyright Office joins the list.

Update 6: This Anon sums up the mood in their "official" chat room at the moment:

Danzu: STOP EVERYTHING, who are we DoSing right now?

Update 7: Russian news service RT claims this is the largest coordinated attack in Anonymous' history—over 5,600 DDoS zealots blasting at once.

Update 8: the Anonymous DDoS planning committee is chittering so quickly, it's making my laptop fan spin.

Update 9: Major record label BMI is down for the count.

Update 10: La résistance est international—French copyright authority HADOPI bites the dust under Anon pressure.
dream comfort memory despair

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:23 pm

wtf is up with the photogallery on the radiolive story? http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Kim-Dotcom-internet-tycoon-arrested-in-Auckland/tabid/438/articleID/25526/Default.aspx#0

It reminds me of that Kim Jong Il (RIP) looking at things blog.
I think it's lint.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:38 pm

"Kim Dotcom presents: A lady on a beach"

lol
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm

"Downloads have an effect on sales that is statistically indistinguishable from zero”
- Oberholzer-Gee, F., & Strumpf, K. (2007). The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Political Economy, 115(1), 1-39

I'm going to cut my nuts off before I buy anything from a major label/ studio/ developer this year.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:20 pm

The ruling elite are mad he got rich without damaging people, we cant have that.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:"Kim Dotcom presents: A lady on a beach"

lol

haha, good on him for changing his last name.
I think it's lint.

Lurch

Postby Lurch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:42 pm

I saw something on reddit calling for a mass boycott of cinemas, dvds, cds, itunes, books and related 'entertainment industry' things for the entire month of march. Seems like an idea.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 pm

I'll carry on as usual pretty much then I guess.
I think it's lint.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

The media are portraying the whole thing as if they've just hit the mafia.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

donvito

Postby donvito » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:17 pm

limewire bearshare "swag"

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:40 pm

fuck Kim Dotcom looks like the man/obese Beast Mahon
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:05 pm

Dotcom. jesus christ

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 pm

“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 pm

haha yeah there is a little more to it than just having a fileshare website or so says the random internet post i just read.

"- megaupload were OK (as in, they dealt with DCMA requests properly, dropped reported content as requested etc).

- the guys arrested were arrested because they both worked INSIDE megaupload and PROFITED from ad-revenue sharing from sites that hosted links to infringing content (even though they did not represent the corporate view of megaupload when doing so)

As they were internal, the whole corp got tarred with the same brush, boom the whole shebang got pulled down. Stoopids. By using and profiting - quite mightily I might add, with their internal knowledge, they broke a mighty good thing."

makes sense, cbf looking much further into it

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:46 pm

don't believe that claim of the lost revenue, a download isn't a lost sale. as some boring academics seem to have put it:
aerozol wrote:"Downloads have an effect on sales that is statistically indistinguishable from zero”
- Oberholzer-Gee, F., & Strumpf, K. (2007). The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Political Economy, 115(1), 1-39

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:49 pm

yeah but you know they'll claim it anyway. but yeah i think it was the making lots off the insider shit. although makes you wonder why so many other dodgy rich business cunts dont get their shit raided and taken to jail

aerozol

Postby aerozol » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:42 pm

eh, whatever

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:00 pm

The lost revenue stance is impossible to prove, and is the basis of the prosecution.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:17 pm

I think you are naive, they are setting a precedent with these guys to try and scare others into going offline or taking down content completely. There is no way they can prove all those people that downloaded copyrighted content had the intent to purchase. Its not possible.

All they have done was get rich as a by product of corporate greed, the only reason it is "bad" is because rich CEO's and shareholders are being stolen from instead of the consumer (like they want).

You should be happy Nazi Scum, seems like NZ is moving in a direction to become a corporate haven, you must be gay as.

jont420

Postby jont420 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:51 am

All they have done was get rich as a by product of corporate greed, the only reason it is "bad" is because rich CEO's and shareholders are being stolen from instead of the consumer (like they want).

Beautiful

Rizzo

Postby Rizzo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:42 am

Honestly, I don't really give a fuck about these dudes and their business or how they use their money but it really really freaks me out that 2 New Zealand residents would be arrested by the cops and potentially extradited on the word of the FBI.
I'm sure the NZ police have done their research but I can't help but feel this is political in terms of some sort of trade deal with the US or whatever.
General Mutante wrote:Turning the other cheek is for christians and other assorted boring cunts. Bring on the hate. SACRIFICE THE GOLDEN CHILD!

akaxo wrote:if metal isn't elitist it is false

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:14 am

yeah this ^^ though i'm in no way confident in the nz police doing their own research prior to see if there was any basis to the charges. imo it's more likely they would have been all excited about working with the FBI and thinking they were important and part of some crime show and would have done anything they were asked.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:03 am

You have to admit that the timing is pretty good for the US as well, given the pieces of legislation they're currently trying to pass. The fact that we've already got the skynet law just makes it a whole bunch better for our government.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:02 am

looking like the laws might not get passed in the US. unlike here it appears some of the US politicians are actually listening to what the people who vote for them want.

stuff wrote:Five days before a critical vote, US senators are abandoning an anti-piracy bill after an outpouring of online opposition to tinkering with internet freedoms.

Senate Democratic leaders still plan to vote on Tuesday on taking up the Protect International Property Act and supporters are scrambling to make changes before then to answer some of the critics, but it is questionable whether they have the 60 votes needed.

Half a dozen of the 40 original co-sponsors of what is known as the PIPA bill withdrew their support on Wednesday amid a one-day protest blackout by Wikipedia and other web giants and a flood of emails to Capitol Hill offices that at times doubled normal volumes.

and on a lighter side:

stuff, elsewhere, also wrote:An internet millionaire accused of online piracy activated electronic locks before barricaded himself into a panic room at his luxury mansion when it was stormed by police.

When police cut their way in, they found a gun.

Kim Dotcom, 37, was arrested in the early morning swoop yesterday by armed police at his $30 million rented million mansion at Coatesville, in rolling wine country, 30km north of Auckland. He is now facing extradition to the United States from New Zealand.

Dotcom and six others, including three others arrested in New Zealand Finn Batato, 38, and Mathias Ortmann, 40, both from Germany, and Dutch national Bram van der Kolk, 29 face five charges laid in an indictment by a US grand jury in the state of Virginia.

They include racketeering and money laundering, and allege that cash was poured into New Zealand funds and banks by members of the so-called "Mega Conspiracy".

Police arrived at the mansion in two marked helicopters, but Detective Inspector Grant Wormald said it was "a less than straight-forward entry" into the mansion.

"Despite our staff clearly identifying themselves, Mr Dotcom retreated into the house and activated a number of electronic locking mechanisms.

"While police neutralised these locks, he then further barricaded himself into a safe room within the house which officers had to cut their way into.

"Once they gained entry into this room they found Mr Dotcom near a firearm which had the appearance of a shortened shotgun.

"It was definitely not as simple as knocking at the front door," Mr Wormald said.
and no shit money was getting pumped into new zealand, he only got residency after he invested $10 million in govt bonds and made a decent donation to the chch earthquake fund.

Return to “Current Affairs”