Thirsty Dog lately

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Fiction & Falsehood

Re: Thirsty Dog lately

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:20 pm

yeh my first still was made from an aluminium pressure cooker, just drilled a hole in the top and scored a few plumbing fittings to make that work, the condenser was just a long snakey coil of copper i had hanging from tree branches, id only still on cold nights for this reason, my still being based mostly on drawings of old illegal stills and shit i found at the library(no internet back then).
to heat it i used the top half of an old potbelly stove, it was devilishly difficult to reach and maintain the correct temperature, but i did manage it, and made some alcohol old methsman would have loved.

to be honest stilling is a fucking lot of work, id rather just pay for whisky most of the time.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm

sounds like a great set up! might be a bit of work but it's fun work.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

yvon

Postby yvon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Red_switch wrote:
Oi! the avatar wrote:so is the problem actually because supermarkets and diaries can buy at cheaper rates than what the bars can buy it for? or is it just because the bars have higher overheads and they mostly only sell booze, rather than having several different product lines to get revenue off? or a combination of both?

This is a big problem. Though it's not so much that supermarkets get it that much cheaper than bars, but that they regularly offer beer and wine as loss-leaders (selling below cost to get people through the door, and recovering the cost on other shit, like chips and dips, presumably). A mate of mine was working as a merchandiser (stacking shelves) in supermarkets in Dunedin for DB, one of his co-workers got married and it was still cheaper for him to buy his piss at the supermarket than through DB at a bulk rate for staff. Binge drinkers might hate on this, but I seriously reckon something ought to be done about this shit, it is loss-leading that bars can't compete with, and it aint just music venues that are struggling - as an example, the Captain Cook Tavern in Dunedin, scarfy otp stronghold, sold the highest volume of beer in NZ a few years ago. Now they are essentially forced by the LLA to maintain a minimum price on drinks, and are barely turning a profit, while supermarkets sell a dozen beers for ten bucks or a bottle of wine for seven. No wonder people get blind at home and don't go out tell well after midnight. Gardies closed for this exact reason, it didn't close because otago uni bought it, otago uni bought it because it went bust, due to no one buying piss, and closed. A lot of venues in Dunedin have gone in the last few years, and I'm sure this is all a part of it, the last few nights that Backstage operated the owner was stocking the bar with speights from the supermarket, just so he could afford to open. Regardless of what you think of/how much you care about these pubs/bars, I reckon they provide a good example of the fucked up situation.

I'm fairly certain that a lot of the "issues" with binge drinking are a result of mis-guided attempts by central and local govt to "manage" the issue, by targeting licensed premises. Why not make piss more expensive in supermarkets and cheaper in pubs? Then again, I don't think binge drinking is as much of a problem as some.

Our grocery duopoly in NZ has a lot to answer for, and even hold the breweries to ransom (beer and wine distributors pay for shelf space). As much as the ILT sucks dick, I think there is merit in the Licensing Trust approach.

Totally Agree. The Hospitality Association has been pushing to remedy this "loss leading" situation and the damage it does for years, but the power wielded by the supermarket chains is enormous. Go figure.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:10 pm

hahaha
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

sneakers o'toole

Postby sneakers o'toole » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:52 pm

New Zealand HAS the biggest price disparity between wholesale and bar prices that I have ever seen. where I live in Central South London it's around 3.20 - 3.50 quid a pint (a real pint) which is around 6.50 - 6.70 NZD and 1 pound at any off-licence (keep in mind I earn alot more in London than I would in NZ too). This replicates all over Europe (apart from Paris and some Scando Cities) and North America were they nearly always have drink specials also. Last time I was in NZ I found when asking for a drink special the bartenders looks at you like you're mental. The interesting thing I also noticed was the cheaper the alcohol was in the bars the LESS shit faced the people tended to get, perhaps being in a public drinking environment where you can afford to drink socially makes people less inclined to binge? or maybe NZers just have a get shitfaced culture...

Interesting about the supermarket power, don't see that changing with the whigs in charge though.

rex

Postby rex » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:02 pm

i still find booze alot more costly in oz both at a bar & wholesalers,new york is fucking expensive when it comes to booze to.not really defending my good old kiwi land but just saying.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:50 am

You think oz is expensive, try fuckin norway!
I think it's lint.

sneakers o'toole

Postby sneakers o'toole » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:38 pm

Or Sweden, govt owned alcohol stores, close at like 4 on saturday!

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:49 pm

now there's a good idea.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

sneakers o'toole

Postby sneakers o'toole » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:16 pm

It's not, its expensive, slow and rubbish.

Return to “Current Affairs”