Turia: Iwi want to be 'major players' in asset sales

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Hamtown Dave

Re: Turia: Iwi want to be 'major players' in asset sales

Postby Hamtown Dave » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 pm

I like the idea in terms of of making the best of a bad situation... but it does seem a bit of a farce. Iwi handing over settlement money to the state for assets that they already own by virtue of them being state assets.

???

But if they provide a good return and Iwi can make it work then all good I suppose, obviously a better investment than the warriors etc.
ONE MAN CREW

arkie

Postby arkie » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Iwi don't have enough cash for all the assets that are being proposed to be sold. But it definitely the best of a bad situation.

I foresee these guys picking up solid energy immediately or in the longrun by share offers.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:46 pm

There are better things they could be spending settlement money on.

Like some of those impoverished starving children for a start.
http://aotearoa666.com/

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Xtian wrote:
Maleficent wrote:There are better things they could be spending 'yearly turn over that they obtain via Fisheries/Farming Lease/100 year leases' and settlement money on.

Like some of those impoverished starving children for a start.

I would assume its not settlement money but yearly turn over that they obtain via Fisheries/Farming Lease/100 year leases etc etc.

I'm thinking of Ngāti Porou Runanga in particular.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 am

They'd like to though.

Runanga are all about the profit and not about their tamariki.

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:04 pm

New Zealand First has appealed to the Maori Party to stand firm and not support National’s plan to sell off taxpayer owned assets.

Rt Hon Winston Peters says the Maori Party has consistently said it opposed state asset sales and it should stick to its guns and not try to have a “bob each way” over the issue.

“If your policy opposes asset sales, you can’t suddenly say you will allow it if Maori can have a slice of the action. You can’t stand with one leg on each side of a fence because it gets very painful. Moreover, it will lead to oblivion for the Maori Party by 2014 if not sooner.

“Asset sales will not help Maori. It will lead to further impoverishment and lack of opportunity. Maori know that which is why in excess of 95% of them oppose Asset Sales

“Corporate Maori can look after themselves so don’t sell out those at the bottom of the heap,” warned Mr Peters.
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:39 pm

peters is earning his keep already :)
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Tariana Turia wrote:Everybody's made such a big deal of [asset sales], but in actual fact if you talk to people on the ground, poor people, they don't know what you're talking about.

Asset Sales No Bar To Maori Party Deal - http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... Party-deal

Um, so Tariana thinks that if people are too stupid to understand how they're being screwed that somehow makes it ok to screw them. Nice one.

I suspect the collapse of Maori Party list vote loss of a seat and suggests her people aren't as stupid as she thinks.

But I'll tell you what, they'll sure know what the big deal is when their power bills start skyrocketing. :(

EDIT: that piece also confirms that Maori will not be major players, and that Maori Party are considering still giving National a supply and confidence deal, just not on asset sales (ie we'll help spend the profits, but don't want to be seen doing it).

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:04 pm

sooner she retires and fucks off the better the arrogant bitch.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:56 pm

akaxo wrote:peters is earning his keep already :)

Excellent, glad to see him in action. People, as in, "those people on the ground, poor people" really listen to what he says.

I can't believe Tariana made such a huge stuff up like that.

Mentor someone into her role and she should retire now to be a proper Nanny.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 am

Xtian wrote:
arkie wrote:Iwi don't have enough cash for all the assets that are being proposed to be sold. But it definitely the best of a bad situation.

I foresee these guys picking up solid energy immediately or in the longrun by share offers.

What? All the Iwi could easily buy it out. You seen the South Island/Ngapuhi/Tainui turn over? Fisheries/Forestry and Land Lease.

It would be great for Iwi as it would give them some money back.

I don't think you realise that Maori are not one "nation" or "people" politically. Some iwi are aligned, some don't talk to each other. Treating Maori as such is a bit like assuming that all pakeha are the same culturally and politically.
Uncinia vector

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 am

Exactly. As far as other white people go I usually want to set fire to at least half of them on general principle.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:03 am

just half? you feeling all happy, generous and in love with the world today or something?
dustbinflowers wrote:I don't think you realise that Maori are not one "nation" or "people" politically. Some iwi are aligned, some want to eat each other. Treating Maori as such is a bit like assuming that all pakeha are the same culturally and politically.
:o

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:03 pm

wot?
Uncinia vector

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't think you realise that Kiwi are not one "nation" or "people" politically. Some kiwi are aligned, some don't talk to each other. Treating Kiwi as such is a bit like assuming that all Maori are the same culturally and politically.

That said polls show that most Kiwis oppose asset sales and would jump at the chance to be able to invest Kiwi dollars in Kiwi assets. Cant we invest our Kiwisaver dollars in NZ assets rather than in multinational military corporations as we do at the moment? Or is that just me being racist saying that we should look after our own people first?
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:35 am

Kiwisaver investments in NZ assets sounds like a good plan. I don't think I said that NZers are one nation politically or culturally. The point I was making was that they are not.

Unless you were talking about the birds? Cos yeah, the several species are all pretty different too. Some like onion dip, some like worm flavour...
Uncinia vector

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:45 pm

several great points made itt

the croc

Postby the croc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:25 pm

If anyone gives a shit

There is to be a Hikoi of Protests against the Government’s Asset Sales agenda.

Starting from Waiora Marae on 24 April, the full itinerary is here, and a full list of the protest marches in towns along the way is here.

Every day has at least one town marching, with the big ones:
Tues 24 April: Kaitaia march 11am
Wed 25 April: Whangarei 3 pm
Sat 28 April: Auckland 3 pm at Britomart
Sun 29 April: Rotorua 3pm
Wed 2 May: Palmerston North 11 am
Thurs 3 May: Porirua 12 noon
Fri 4 May: Te Papa to Parliament

Following that there is a week of protests on various Government policies in Wellington:

Sat 5 May: Rally and Free Concert
Sun 6 May: Constitutional Wananga
Mon 7 May: Say no to Deep Sea Oil demo
Tues 8 May: Say no to Coal Mining demo
Wed 9 May: Say no to Welfare Reform demo
Thurs 10 May: Say no to Privatisation demo
Fri 11 May: Say yes to Constitutional Transformation demo

But the centrepiece before Wellington will be the big march up Queen St (Saturday 28 April, 3pm), organised by Aotearoa is Not For Sale. They’re a non-political group, but they’ve got Labour, Green and Mana support for the march.

If you can make it: get there!
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

Tartanperil

Postby Tartanperil » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:I like the idea in terms of of making the best of a bad situation...

I prefer the idea of having principles and bottom lines, and sticking to them.

Rather than sharing in the spoils of something you know is plain wrong.

the croc

Postby the croc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:11 pm

Thousands join Queen St hikoi

Several thousand protestors have converged on central Auckland as part of the "Aotearoa is not for sale" hikoi.

The hikoi - which was launched in the Far North on Tuesday - is travelling the length of the North Island to protest against a raft of issues, including the Government's planned asset sales.

It will take two weeks to reach Wellington, before kick-starting a week of hui and protest action around the capital city.

Protestors congregated on Victoria Park in the early afternoon, before commencing on a protest march down to Aotea Square, on Auckland's Queens St.

They made their feelings clear, chanting "John Key, you suck eggs" and "Aotearoa is under attack".

The large gathering included the young and old and a wide cultural mix.

A series of speeches from hikoi officials will be made to the gathering before the group is expected to disband at about 6pm.

A statement from hikoi organisers said: "The hikoi will express public opposition to privatisation and the selling off of our country's assets, natural resources, land and public services.

"Most New Zealanders don't want our public assets, resources and farm land sold to private investors. It is not in our interests to put our future in the hands of a few large foreign companies whose primary goal and self-interest in profit undermines what is good for the country we live in and love.

"If we don't act now, looking back in 15 years' time, our country could have overseas corporations buying and bullying political favours and outcomes. This is the message the hikoi will take to Wellington ... this is not the brighter future many of us dream of."

While the hikoi is not aligned to anyone political party, today's protest activities in central Auckland figured officials from Labour, Mana, the Maori Party and the Greens.

Meanwhile, earlier today about 500 people marched through Nelson in another protest action against the mooted asset sales.

Chanting slogans, the marchers walked up Trafalgar St to the Church Steps, where they heard speakers from the Green, Labour, and New Zealand First parties as well as Greenpeace and the Campaign Against Foreign Control of Aotearoa.

The common theme was that the Government didn't have a mandate to sell shares in state assets and that the decision could be overturned if the campaign was maintained.

A message from Nelson's National MP Nick Smith, who was in Dunedin, was drowned out by boos and a "not for sale" chant and former soldier Gareth Palmer was cheered when he said that in his eyes, "John Key is a traitor".

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... n-St-hikoi
There's more to life than thrash
So let's get really smashed
and do the heavy head dance

www.facebook.com/paekakpunkshow

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:32 am

the croc wrote:..former soldier Gareth Palmer was cheered when he said that in his eyes, "John Key is a traitor".
:D

Return to “Current Affairs”