Another reason not to have facebook

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
Phlegm
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Threatening to go viral
Contact:

Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Phlegm » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:33 am

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10756151

Facebook has come under fire after revelations that adult sites could show up in people's Facebook account timelines.

Technology blog Techwag has warned Facebook users to prepare for embarrassing connections to porn sites to start appearing in their timelines once the "gestures" feature goes live in coming weeks.

The timeline feature means users will have an ongoing and persistent record of activities when on Facebook and so will others who can view their page.

What this means is that if a porn site uses passive sharing options on Facebook, has "like" buttons on its page or allows people to sign into their site with a user's Facebook details, then all of that will be recorded on the timeline.

However, this will happen only if people choose to interact with porn sites.

Techwag blogger Rmorrill says it is already happening: "Imagine my surprise to see a couple of porn sites this morning using Facebook Connect, and yes, they knew who I was.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN


http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

User avatar
wassup rockers
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Auckland City

Re: Another reason not to like facebook

Postby wassup rockers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 am

this might be fairly hilarious at the same time though

Phlegm
Posts: 2396
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Threatening to go viral
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Phlegm » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:47 am

It's sure to be but I hate the facebook homogenisation of the web. Like buttons are in too any places they shouldn't be.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:WHAT DOES THAT MEANT TO MEAN


http://smalltakeover.blogspot.com

xCaptainx
Stay Cold
Posts: 12165
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 4:36 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby xCaptainx » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:51 am

use another browser with no saved passwords/history for that kinda stuff. /solved.

User avatar
wassup rockers
Posts: 3251
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:56 am
Location: Auckland City

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby wassup rockers » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 am

if you're using chrome just go incognito for pronz

User avatar
mmmm....good crack
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: down
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:52 am

you'd be a dumb cunt to associate you fb account with porn site though...what would you expect?

or do you not even have to click anything it justs watching you??
Image

User avatar
Tartanperil
Posts: 1448
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:56 am
Location: Dunedin

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Tartanperil » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:09 am

mmmm....good crack wrote:or do you not even have to click anything it justs watching you??

No, it does it automatically (and even after you're logged out of FB) I believe.

That really is a step too far; I'd classify that as spyware.

User avatar
mmmm....good crack
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: down
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:11 am

if thats true thats pretty wack.
Image

ruff
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby ruff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:12 am

mmmm....good crack wrote:you'd be a dumb cunt to associate you fb account with porn site though...what would you expect?

or do you not even have to click anything it justs watching you??


Anytime you see a FB Like button, FB is checking your cookies to find out who you are and recording the site you visited (this is the simplest example I can give). Google has been doing this for years though. So moaning about this and continuing to use your gmail account, while searching stuff with google, within the Chrome browser, maybe on your Android phone makes little to know sense.

Don't wanna be tracked... unplug.

User avatar
mmmm....good crack
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: down
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby mmmm....good crack » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:20 am

i don't care that they're tracking me of course i know that...

just not keen to have everything posted to my facebook
Image

User avatar
Marrow
real poo particles
Posts: 3748
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: lost in the Warp
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Marrow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:13 pm

I decided years ago that trying to resist the internet tracking me was too much effort. Anyone that will judge/discriminate against me for surfing porn is probably noone I care about anyway.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

User avatar
Andrew_TA
Posts: 4421
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:05 am
Location: Hamilton East
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Andrew_TA » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Image

User avatar
nails
Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:27 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby nails » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm

You can do it with most browsers now can't you?

Never cared before but now I'm finding it a bit discomforting
Image

User avatar
akaxo
Posts: 8544
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:28 am
Location: antichristchurch

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby akaxo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 pm

i don't have facebook. the missus does. she might have people thinking she's into black metal cause we use the same computer half the time.

sucks for someone who checks their facebook at a cafe then the next person looks at some dodgy porn/gay dating site or whatever on the same browser. (remembering turning around in one to see a guy watching gay porn vids).
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

User avatar
General Mutante
Posts: 9848
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:57 pm
Location: Beyond the Thunderdome...
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby General Mutante » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:34 pm

Everyone knows I'm a chronic masturbator anyway. I have nothing to hide.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
toothbrush
Posts: 6996
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:17 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby toothbrush » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 pm

interesting cos this can have an effect on getting jobs cos people hiring lurk the shit out of Facebook profiles

User avatar
cracker jack
Posts: 3784
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:49 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby cracker jack » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:49 pm

So everytime anybody goes to any site on a shared computor it'll appear on your Facebook profile? I can see FB getting so clogged up with shit no one will bother going to it anymore.
It'll be the new Myspace
Lozer› u ppl do porn lol

User avatar
Lurch
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Hillcrest, Hamilton

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Lurch » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:54 pm

What happened to simplicity as a thing? Why keep on adding features that nobody really care about?

People use facebook because they want to laugh at photos of their mates at last night's boozy party, or have big scraps about stuff.co.nz articles. Right?
Image

User avatar
Marrow
real poo particles
Posts: 3748
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: lost in the Warp
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Marrow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I can't really imagine someone stalking a prospective employees page then not hiring them because of their porn habits.
1) I'd be concerned hiring someone that didn't have weird shit on their browsing history
2) If you used that as a reason to not hire someone, then enjoy not hiring anyone at all, or only hiring the people with such fucked up porn taste that they actually *need* to browse anonymously.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

User avatar
FC
Orange Ska Dork
Posts: 20816
Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby FC » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I wouldn't add anyone from work before I got a job. How would they look at your profile if they weren't your friend?

If you have terrible privacy settings that let everyone see, then you have nothing to complain about.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms


Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

User avatar
Cosmo Kramer
Posts: 9886
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:27 pm
Location: LFH

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:32 pm

what a stupid topic - people complaing becauset hey have been caught looking at gay porn :baton:
Image
Kramer Murphy and Associates

User avatar
nails
Posts: 2184
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:27 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby nails » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Lady I know just had a search warrant executed at her place because in her profile picture is is dressed in a police uniform. Turns out a cop in the area had his house broken into and a uniform got stolen.

Her excuse was that she had a fling with a police who got his rocks off over having her dress up for him.
Image

User avatar
cracker jack
Posts: 3784
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:49 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby cracker jack » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Ha awsome shit, on the upside no need to surf the net in future as there will be more porn on FB than you can shake your cock at
Lozer› u ppl do porn lol

User avatar
Marrow
real poo particles
Posts: 3748
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: lost in the Warp
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Marrow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:12 pm

nails wrote:Lady I know just had a search warrant executed at her place because in her profile picture is is dressed in a police uniform. Turns out a cop in the area had his house broken into and a uniform got stolen.

Her excuse was that she had a fling with a police who got his rocks off over having her dress up for him.

:D

thats a pretty shitty excuse for a search warrant. I know heaps of chicks who have photos of themselves in police uniforms on facebook.
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

User avatar
Lurch
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Hillcrest, Hamilton

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Lurch » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Yeah: I've decided it is time to opt out of this bullshit. Deleting everything. Then will be sending emails making sure everything is completely deleted. The same goes for Google: can anybody recommend a good alternative for webmail? Free, ideally - though anything free is going to have much the same crap info gathering kinda shit behind it, right?
Image

User avatar
Marrow
real poo particles
Posts: 3748
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: lost in the Warp
Contact:

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Marrow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:57 pm

your ISP mail?
Dead Kid wrote:Just leave your friends at home this time eh... Spelling-Mistake Chris, Hit On All The Moderators Chris, Anti-Social Chris, and I think that's when Make-Every-Thread-Twice-As-Long-As-It-Needs-To-Be Chris showed up. I'm telling you, you've got to sort your foruming out bro
PertHJ wrote:You can't drink your coffee and fuck it too

User avatar
jont420
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:08 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby jont420 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Lurch wrote:Yeah: I've decided it is time to opt out of this bullshit. Deleting everything. Then will be sending emails making sure everything is completely deleted. The same goes for Google: can anybody recommend a good alternative for webmail? Free, ideally - though anything free is going to have much the same crap info gathering kinda shit behind it, right?



confirmed pedo

ruff
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby ruff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:31 pm

Lurch wrote:Yeah: I've decided it is time to opt out of this bullshit. Deleting everything. Then will be sending emails making sure everything is completely deleted. The same goes for Google: can anybody recommend a good alternative for webmail? Free, ideally - though anything free is going to have much the same crap info gathering kinda shit behind it, right?


if you are not paying for it, you are the product.

User avatar
Lurch
Posts: 3611
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:27 pm
Location: Hillcrest, Hamilton

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby Lurch » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:57 pm

That is the picture that is doing the rounds, and agreed. The ISP is under my brothers name, but I might be able to argue it off him. Problem being that new ISP = new email address, and that is a pain.
Image

ruff
Posts: 3214
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Re: Another reason not to have facebook

Postby ruff » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:21 pm

buy your own domain (.nz from $20) and for a few bucks a month you can have complete control and know that it's hosted in a country that (for now) won't hand your data over without a warrant. Depending on your needs and spare coinage you could get some web hosting to match and replace FB with your own blog / web space (like us old school cats did it)

shits easy to setup / cheap - happy to help.


Return to “Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests