RIP Troy Davis

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
wassup rockers

RIP Troy Davis

Postby wassup rockers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:39 pm

this is so fucked up. even if the doubts weren't completely solid the fact is that there WERE doubts. eugh fuck this is horrible

The State of Georgia is preparing to execute Troy Anthony Davis in one of the most high-profile executions in the United States in years. Davis is scheduled to be killed by lethal ejection at 7:00 p.m. EDT, one day after the Georgia Board of Pardons and Paroles rejected clemency. Democracy Now! will air a special broadcast from outside the prison in Jackson, Georgia, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT. Davis was convicted of the 1989 killing of off-duty white police officer Mark MacPhail. Since then, seven of the nine witnesses have recanted their testimony, and there is no physical evidence tying Davis to the crime scene. In a new development, Davis has asked state prison officials and the pardons board to allow him to take a polygraph test today. Some supporters of Davis are now calling for a general strike or "sick out" by the staff at the Georgia prison where the execution is set to occur. We speak with Larry Cox, executive director of Amnesty International USA, and Robert Rooks, the director of the NAACP’s Criminal Justice Program. "I have been working on the death penalty for more than 30 years," Cox says. "I’ve never seen a case where there is so much significant doubt about the guilt or innocence of the person that the state of Georgia wants to put to death." Rooks, who met with Davis in prison on Tuesday, says Davis is holding out hope to remain alive but says the fight against the death penalty should continue no matter the outcome. "You have a choice," Rooks quotes Davis as saying. "’You can either fold up your bags after tomorrow and go home, or you can stand and continue this fight."

http://www.democracynow.org/ < has pretty good coverage on that video on the first screen.

his last words:

I'd like to address the MacPhail family. Let you know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the one who personally killed your son, your father, your brother. I am innocent. The incident that happened that night is not my fault. I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth. I ask my family and friends to continue to fight this fight. For those about to take my life, God have mercy on your souls. And may God bless your souls.

wassup rockers

Re: RIP Troy Davis

Postby wassup rockers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:01 pm

yeah it's not really that much of a shocker for georgia, it's the 4th one this year. i just find it sad.

skeetnigguh
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO

Postby skeetnigguh » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:04 pm

MacPhail family will definitely not have closure after this.

What did he have for his last meal?

On a cruel note, MacPhail got me thinking about an apple BSOD :baton:
ImageImageImage

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:08 pm

i just don't understand execution.. it's not punishment at all. he's dead, he's not gonna be all "oh lame i'm dead now this sucks i really regret killing that dude that time". it's punishment for his family who did nothing to deserve it. and yeah fuck all closure too. /rant

stink vibes

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:47 pm

fucking fucked situation. :(
I think it's lint.

Alorria

Postby Alorria » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:09 pm

I guess it outlines the reasons why you shouldn't lie under oath...because there might be consequences. Those people were either lying now or then. Shame the courts can't do them all for perjury.

kettles

Postby kettles » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:10 pm

wassup rockers wrote:i just don't understand execution.. it's not punishment at all. he's dead, he's not gonna be all "oh lame i'm dead now this sucks i really regret killing that dude that time". it's punishment for his family who did nothing to deserve it. and yeah fuck all closure too. /rant

stink vibes

exactly my thoughts. and considering the huge global resistance to the execution, would it really have been that bad to just leave the guy in jail?

Dixon Cider A.C.

Postby Dixon Cider A.C. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 pm

Alorria wrote:I guess it outlines the reasons why you shouldn't lie under oath...because there might be consequences. Those people were either lying now or then. Shame the courts can't do them all for perjury.

yeah, fuck those cunts. 'oh nah thats not actually what happened. i was just kidding!'

dude is dead now and its largely because of you.

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:24 pm

It's fucking disgusting. This man was killed for the sake of procedure and the careers of public officials. Everyone involved in this are not even monsters. They are just cogs in a machine. They are nothing. There's killing another human being out of hate, pain or fear and then there's frog marching someone to their death because it's your job. Nothing personal mate, just go quietly. Sleep well you bastards.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

Ouch
Dog's Best Friend

Postby Ouch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:35 pm

At least a pig died. Kill em all.

Life fucking sucks.

Sam Deformed

Postby Sam Deformed » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:55 am

Pretty messed up....girlfriend and I were watching this on CNN in Montreal last night. Shitness to the core.

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 am

i don't know how the executioners can just continue with their job so easily. there were protesters literally begging them to step down. of course there's always a replacement but then they can also be asked to step down. not even the first line stepped down, they did it, knowing full well there were doubts in this mans guilt.

i think even if he was guilty he still shouldn't be killed. lock him up for life if you end up proving his guilt with PHYSICAL evidence.

that's another thing, there was absolutely NO physical evidence.......

eugh :(

noteven

Postby noteven » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:06 pm

If so many people can be convinced that gassing a bunch of jews is a good idea, and facilitate that, it's not a stretch to think that some executioners could continue on with their jobs

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:40 pm

yeah i guess it just shows that america really is still the closest thing to nazism, what with old guantanamo bay [s]concentration[/s] detention camp

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:41 pm

weird, thought strikethrough would work. ah well you get the gist

Window Licker

Postby Window Licker » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:43 pm

I think the witnesses that have since recanted sited police coercion?? Fuckers. Reeks of blatant racism.
This kind of thing happens all around the world everyday, but i stupidly put hope once again in the fact that the Yanks would sort it out, that country is fuckedfuckedfucked. Fuck everyone involved in the murder of this most likely innocent man.

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:44 pm

noteven wrote:If so many people can be convinced that gassing a bunch of jews is a good idea, and facilitate that, it's not a stretch to think that some executioners could continue on with their jobs
As simplistic as that sounds, it's pretty much spot on in terms of how bureacracy works. Milgram's work reinforced it. It's human nature to follow orders, and it's pretty horrifying to see just how people can go when asked..
The problem is that in the US there's this greased bureaucracy combined with a bloodlust - a "someone has to pay" mentality that tends to operate without logic. I'm not sure what Georgia's like, but the Texans scare the shit out of me:
http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/08/03/perry_willingham_survey
It turns out that Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, who unsuccessfully challenged Perry in the 2010 GOP gubernatorial primary, explored Perry's potential vulnerability on the issue, Politico reports. But when the Hutchison campaign asked a focus group about Willingham, it received this startling response:
Multiple former Hutchison advisers recalled asking a focus group about the charge that Perry may have presided over the execution of an innocent man – Cameron Todd Willingham – and got this response from a primary voter: "It takes balls to execute an innocent man."

Further reading for those not short of time:
Cameron Todd Willingham, Texas and the Death Penalty (New Yorker)
dream comfort memory despair

General Mutante

Postby General Mutante » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Milgram's experiment never would have worked on me, I'd have been ripping shit out of the walls. Wow, isn't it just great there aren't too many anti-social rebels like me around. Who knows what would transpire.
Little Miss Twoshoes wrote:Violent period sex is a pretty good indicator that you're into someone, I think

FC wrote:I like that the swearing is removed. That's gangsta.

http://carnival01.bandcamp.com/

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:15 pm

yeah it's really really quite disturbing. saw a video where some group got random participants to give shocks to a person which was actually just an actor. i'm not sure what they told the participants but a high percentage would electrocute the person to the death when told to by higher authority. shit is absolutely mental. it's like brainwashing from a young age, respect authority and don't ask questions. fuck that, people need to learn to say no when it's right..

cant remember what the video was for

steeltoedsneakers

Postby steeltoedsneakers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:31 pm

dream comfort memory despair

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:33 pm

:lol: fuck what a n00b

Return to “Current Affairs”