big brother will manage beneficiarys money

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
daggers

Re: big brother will manage beneficiarys money

Postby daggers » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 pm

one time i made a golden syrup pudding in the microwave,

actually it was this cocksucker right here
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Mi ... L1560.html
https://www.discogs.com/user/daggers_NZ/collection
[img]http://iforce.co.nz/i/q3xbuiu4.mh3.png[/img]

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:59 pm

that looks hoon worthy
I think it's lint.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:03 pm

[quote="Maleficent"]I've never actually met any women, Māori or otherwise that have an easy time of it on the DPB.
And I've met a few.

"jont420" wrote: hmm so while this thread has driven an unmovable wedge between phil and mel, perhaps it has bought together two snowbound confectionary guzzlers?

this thread didn't do that, it was already there.

Glad it brought together two snowbound confectionary guzzlers though <3

Thinking about eating dessert now.[/quote]

With respect Mel, I'm pretty sure you are the only person who has mentioned the DPB?

I'll post again later... MKR is on.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 pm

bro you suck at quoting olol

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:04 pm

yeah, I have, because I'm going on the latest round of beneficiary bashing which has been aimed at solo mothers, particularly teens.

This crumble aint that fab to be honest. Still, it'll do.

Daggers, you rule. That recipe is fucking awesome! I expect to physically resemble on those puddings in a few months :)

Wonder what it would be like with maple syrup..... mmmmmm
http://aotearoa666.com/

Red_switch

Re:

Postby Red_switch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 pm

Hamtown Dave wrote:I'll post again later... MKR is on.

i hate that shit
I think it's lint.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 pm

whatever MKR is i'm never going to see it if it's on now. coro is on.

sorry to post something on the original topic but this is an interesting aspect to the whole food card concept that i haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet
the standard wrote:If, as seems likely, loading a proportion of benefit directly on to a food card is rolled out and applied to all beneficiaries, the consequences are going to be significant additional hardships for many people.

Here’s why.

Food grants can be applied for if an unforseen expense such as the cost of taking an injured pet to the vet for treatment – or paying out money due to some other emergency has occured.

In other words, the food grant is a mechanism whereby hunger can be avoided in instances where money for food has had to be used on other things.(Receipts, proof of money in bank, proof of where money was spent etc are required by WINZ.)

Simply put, where the cost of food is ring fenced, there is no financial lee-way to react to life’s unforseen circumstances.

So the pet suffers or dies and the other emergency (whatever it might be) rolls right on over the top of the person on a benefit because they have no room to manouvere; no way to deal to to it or stop it in it’s tracks.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:42 pm

THat is a cunty situation indeed
I think it's lint.

Hamtown Dave

Postby Hamtown Dave » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:44 pm

[quote="mmmm....good crack"]bro you suck at quoting olol[/quote]

Yeah and spelling... I'm new to posting on a smartphone.

Damn autocorrect and all...

FrankGrimes

Postby FrankGrimes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:51 pm

Keen 4 microwave pudding

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 pm

akaxo wrote:whatever MKR is i'm never going to see it if it's on now. coro is on.

sorry to post something on the original topic but this is an interesting aspect to the whole food card concept that i haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet
the standard wrote:If, as seems likely, loading a proportion of benefit directly on to a food card is rolled out and applied to all beneficiaries, the consequences are going to be significant additional hardships for many people.

Here’s why.

Food grants can be applied for if an unforseen expense such as the cost of taking an injured pet to the vet for treatment – or paying out money due to some other emergency has occured.

In other words, the food grant is a mechanism whereby hunger can be avoided in instances where money for food has had to be used on other things.(Receipts, proof of money in bank, proof of where money was spent etc are required by WINZ.)

Simply put, where the cost of food is ring fenced, there is no financial lee-way to react to life’s unforseen circumstances.

So the pet suffers or dies and the other emergency (whatever it might be) rolls right on over the top of the person on a benefit because they have no room to manouvere; no way to deal to to it or stop it in it’s tracks.

Awesome korero. I read the comments while eating aforementioned apple crumble and some mandarins.

Loved this one
just saying wrote:This is a straight-out hate campaign against the poorest, weakest, most disadvantaged.
The benefits are not designed to help people survive with any kind of basic health or dignity. In the long, or even medium term, “managing” on a benefit with no other means of support can’t be done.
It’s slow death.

Kicking beneficiaries is NZ’s real national sport. If there were a world cup it would be a sell-out.

From No Right Turn
And for what? This doesn't target a pressing social problem. We're not facing an explosion of IYB recipients, and I'm not seeing a lot of evidence that National's prejudices on their spending is true. Instead, this is being pushed solely to prop up National's support in an election year, by stigmatising and demonising and humiliating an already powerless group (who, as a bonus, can't even fucking vote). Its the ultimate triumph of spin over substance. And for the kids who will be victimised by this? Sorry, guys, National has an election to win.

Its cruel, its vicious, its divisive, and its based on myths rather than evidence. But its so very, very National, isn't it?

http://norightturn.blogspot.com/2011/08 ... hobes.html

yvon

Postby yvon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:12 am

PertHJ wrote:
Red_switch wrote:Seriously, the taxpayer money shit is a fuckin weak argument.

Fuck I'd say

The amount of horse shit the government spends my 'hard earned tax dollars' before any gets to the poor bastards living in a crumby house off jack shit, is staggeringly enormous. And if they want to spend their pittance on something that will brighten there day like booze and cigarettes, then power to them.

True dat.

The taxpayers should look upon it as a form of protection money!
Support the poor bastards just enough to deter them from coming around and robbing your house!
lol

That point about:
"Simply put, where the cost of food is ring fenced, there is no financial lee-way to react to life’s unforseen circumstances."

..it's so fucking true.
I had a friend some years back, a single mum, who's kid got really sick. Multiple hospital visits sick. Couldn't even afford to put petrol in the car to get to the hospital.
"All paid employment degrades the mind."

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 am

i'm sure there's ways around that problem, though they'd involve a wad of law changes to the stuff around SNG's to make them available for other things and would be quite complicated. but would still be crap as when an emergency occurs you don't usually have the three days or so notice you'd need to get an appointment at winz to apply for one. it does show that with any policy change like this there's always unintended flow on effects that need to be dealt with and can make the whole process of changing it way more expensive than intended. especially when they haven't been thought through properly like so many of national's ones.

i'm pretty convinced that the food cards idea for youth is just a trial run and they'll eventually roll it out for all beneficiaries. they've just found a small discrete group to apply it to that will have little to no bad impact on the govt if it all goes to shit and proves to be a failure. 16-17 year olds can't vote after all.

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:35 am

There are a few ways that Maori students can access full scholarships for further education where pakeha students cannot. Many Maori tribal assets, particularly land and other natural resources are technically owned collectively by the tribe (iwi), and they are managed by trusts. The trusts are (ideally) manage the assets to produce an income stream which is distributed to the various members of the iwi. Some income is distributed in the form of payments to beneficiaries (members of the tribe), some as grants or loans to people seeking to establish businesses, and some as scholarships to young people wanting to go to Uni / college. Only members of the iwi can generally access these sources of funding.

Cant find any specifically pakeha scholarships, I think that might be considered racist
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:54 am

Plenty of families establish trusts to fund their childrens university education, the maori scholarship is just a bigger, collective, extension of that. It's not even that different to large companies providing scholarships to employees kids.

It fucks me off when those same people also line up for student allowance.
I think it's lint.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 am

I guess it really depends on how big the scholarship is. I am certainly going to go for one next year if I am successful for teachers college.

I received a scholarship from a land trust earlier this year. I had to get written references from tutors, show my results for the last 2 years and write down my whakapapa to the shareholder.

Land trusts are made up of thousands of shareholders and this increases with every successive generation. If you receive any profits from the land blocks (a lot of them around here are under scrub and considered worthless, are not reticulated but owners are still required to pay rates on them), then that means the trust is doing a wonderful job of managing that land.

As Red Switch said, it's no different to other scholarships, trust funds etc.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 pm

haha even paula bennett thought it was a terrible idea a few months ago
tv3 news wrote:It has emerged the Government's much publicised payment card plan for youth beneficiaries was utterly rubbished before it became policy, and by the very minister who is now in charge of it.

That minister was Paula Bennett, who wrote a letter criticising such a payment card scheme just months before her boss John Key was publically championing it.

Next year, 16 and 17-year-old beneficiaries will not be able to buy cigarettes or alcohol with money from the Government - instead they will be given a payment card.

It was National's big idea at its weekend conference. They all talked it up and they talked tough.

“If it all sounds a bit hands on to you I make no apologies,” says Mr Key.

But the same cannot be said for Ms Bennett who has been caught out criticising the same card just a few months ago.

In a letter to a voter in March she “rejected” the idea of extending payment cards to “all” beneficiaries saying:
“[It] would require the Crown to make moral judgments about the appropriateness of each decision.”
“Such oversight by the Crown would be highly intrusive and rob individuals of their freedom of choice.”

So how does she reconcile her private statements with her public policy?

We tried to ask her earlier today.

“[Can we ask you about the letter brought up by Annette King in the House?] Sorry, I haven't seen the letter so until I have… [I've got the letter here]…well, I’m not going to read it over your shoulder.”

Ms Bennett was not willing to answer questions on the letter.

And when asked if she would like a copy of the letter she revealed that she had one up in her office.

Earlier in the House, Ms Bennett was not able to walk away so easily.

“I have said before I do think it’s intrusive, that I do actually think it’s intrusive. I do think that the administration that comes with that is worth it and I am backing these young people into a better life,” she says.

The opposition says it is hypocritical.

“I think they've been conned by the Minister, the Prime Minister and by Mr Joyce who have been saying that this was a new approach - radical approach - that was going to make a difference. They rejected such an approach just a few months ago,” says Labour’s deputy leader Annette King.

So Ms Bennett has spent the day explaining her conflicting views on the payment card. Her critics say that is embarrassing.

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:16 pm

Everyone knows that Paula Bennett is a puppet and doesn't actually have a functioning brain cell...
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:34 pm

yuck. think i just became sterile.
I think it's lint.

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:38 pm

belongs in the masty thread

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Yea for when someone walks in and you need a boner-killer
I think it's lint.

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:30 pm

lol
I think it's lint.

jont420

Postby jont420 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:43 pm

nice work grant

xsfat

Postby xsfat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:04 am

Only members of the iwi can generally access these sources of funding.

So this has nothing to do with race, and everything to do with genealogy and familial connection.
A pakeha that cannot have access to the trust cries racism, but what about a maori of another iwi similarly deprived?

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:16 am

To get the independent youth benefit, you've normally got to be in school/training right?

Is it just me or do National have a habit of announcing stuff that is already in place as new policy? I remember thinking the same about something else they did recently, can't remember what though...
I think it's lint.

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:50 pm

Uncinia vector

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:00 pm

also found a database of scholarships available.

http://www.fis.org.nz/index.php?page=BreakOut

There are all sorts- academic and non academic, seconary and ertiary. I kept the criteria as general as I could, except for picking scholarships for men only. Got 1500 results back.
I didn't look at the results, as you have to subscribe, but apparently there is free access in Libraries. Possibly Studylink or somewhere too?

I thought this might be useful in general for people- I'm going to do a search later, to see if there is something that might help me go back and do a phd...
Uncinia vector

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:38 pm

Pretty sure I could have applied to get a scholarship based on my Italian heritage. Didn't bother, but still.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

Return to “Current Affairs”