big brother will manage beneficiarys money

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
elli

big brother will manage beneficiarys money

Postby elli » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:52 pm

so about a year ago WINZ gave us all the new payment cards (which replaced foodtown vouchers etc). this was a bit freeky (you dont have to look far to see how australia has used this as a tactic to confiscate aboriginal land.) this brought up the frightening possibly of these cards being given as benefits, so that the beneficiary is being tracked for spending, and will only be allowed certain items from specific stores. it didnt seem too outrageuos to expect this form of big brother interference in lives beneficiarys happening under national. well here it is :

The Government will limit how 16 and 17-year-old beneficiaries and 18-year-old teen parents can spend the state's money to ensure they are not buying items such as alcohol or cigarettes, Prime Minister John Key announced today.

It will also change the law to make it easier to track disengaged 16 and 17-year-olds - regardless of whether they are on a benefit - when they leave school so they can be better monitored and targeted with support.

Mr Key flagged the changes in his speech to the National Party conference today, and the party will campaign on the changes in this year's election.

Between 8500 and 13,500 16 and 17-year-olds are not in education, training, or work at any one time; 90 per cent of these people will go onto a benefit once they turn 18, and around 1600 are already on a special benefit for 16 and 17 year olds.

"That's why we are making this group the first priority - because 90 per cent of them will go onto a fully-fledged adult benefit, unless we do something to intervene," Mr Key said.

While details were still being worked through, he proposed:

* essential costs, like rent and power, will be paid directly on the young person's behalf

* money for basic living costs like food and groceries will be loaded onto a payment card that can only be used to buy certain goods and cannot be used to buy things like alcohol and cigarettes

* a certain, limited amount will be available for the young person to spend at their own discretion

"We are not going to hand over benefit money every fortnight," Mr Key told the conference.

"We simply cannot continue to give them money and trust they will do the right things with it. That approach has not worked."

Young beneficiaries will also be obliged to attend budgeting programmes or parenting courses, if required.

The Government also flagged amending the Privacy Act and the Education Act to require schools to inform the Government when a 16 and 17-year-old leaves school, so the Education and Social Development ministries can share that information.

"For the first time, we will be able to find out who all these disengaged 16 and 17-year-olds are; what circumstances they are in; what problems they have had at school; and what their risk of long-term welfare dependency is," Mr Key said.

He said funding for support services for teenage beneficiaries will increase, and the Government was providing 7500 training opportunities through its Youth Guarantee programme next year and a further 4500 placements over the next two years through Trade Academies.

"Young people who are receivinng these payments will have clear obligations, for example to attend budgeting or parenting programmes. Most importantly, each of these young people will have to be in education, training or work-based learning," Mr Key said.

"That means everybody, including teen parents.

"We will be insisting that teen parents continue with education or training, and we will cover the costs of the childcare involved."

He said the Government will expect teen parents to be in training or education by the time their child turns one.

He said the policies will cost between $20 million and $25 million a year, but the numbers still had to be finalised.

The policies will not affect those on an invalid's benefit.

Legislation to implement the policies is planned to be introduced from early 2012.

While the overall unemployment rate in New Zealand is 6.5 per cent, the rates for young people ages 15 to 19 is 27.6 per cent.

Of all unemployed, 43.8 per cent are aged under 25.

Red_switch

Re: big brother will manage beneficiarys money

Postby Red_switch » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:55 pm

Yea it seems a bit fucked eh.
I think it's lint.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm

a bit fucked on a few levels. i think it'll do the opposite of the intention re stopping a dependence mentality around welfare. taking away the responsibility for your own money and having the state pay your rent and bills for you? yeah that'll help encourage independence, ffs. and it's a tad more "nanny state" than restrictions around light bulbs. hypocritical cunts.

putting 16 and 17 year old beneficiaries money onto cards that don't allow them to buy alcohol... and here was me thinking it was already illegal for them to do so. if they have other people buy their booze it's not much of a leap to buying their older mates stuff on the card instead of giving them cash.

had a rant about this on stuff but they haven't printed my comment yet the buggers.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Red_switch

Postby Red_switch » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:07 pm

My comments never get put up on stuff.

This has obviously been well thought out.
I think it's lint.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:14 pm

re the cards for SNGs: kinda liked that as it made them more versatile. meant it could be spent in a few different places rather than just the one. the SNGs were always for shops on WINZs books so no real difference there. But yeah the possibility of them be extended into a food stamps like scheme such as the nats want to do for youth benefits is fucked. no real issue with them for one offs but for everyday use is way different. would stop people being able to buy food from all sorts of places. we can buy veges for half the price of a supermarket straight from the grower who is even closer than a supermarket. wouldn't be possible to do that sort of thing under this.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:20 pm

and therein lies the real reason they are doing this, john key probably has shares in supermarkets and whatever other stores will be allowed, most of the government probably does, squeezing out the little guys is capitalisms first move in any area, as if they give a fuck about deadshit teenagers.

get fucked national voters
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Easy to get a quick hundy for alcohol on those payment cards. Its easy as
JeffJack is Christian

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:40 pm

akaxo wrote:taking away the responsibility for your own money

Taxpayer money.
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:05 pm

i can just imagine the top assholes from supermarket chains collating the figures and realising that all the small greengrocers combined are taking 3% of total fruit and vegetable profits, while many well off people prefer the fresher produce the bulk of their business is beneficiaries and low income earners... 'how can we stop beneficiaries spending our tax dollars elsewhere?'
'il have a word to john key about it guys, he knows where his bread is buttered.'
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Martli wrote:

Taxpayer money.
so once who ever you work for puts money into your bank account it's still theirs?

mmmm....good crack

Postby mmmm....good crack » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:31 pm

akaxo wrote:
Martli wrote:

Taxpayer money.
so once who ever you work for puts money into your bank account it's still theirs?

:?:

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 pm

irrelevant

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:22 am

As long as you can use the card at the local tinnie house I dont see the problem.

""We are not going to hand over benefit money every fortnight," Mr Key told the conference"

Doesnt the PM know that the benefit is paid weekly?
Last edited by nazi scum on Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

donvito

Postby donvito » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:27 am

i love being on the sickness benefit

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:30 am

So you love being poor?
i say all islamic people are welcome, just leave your fuckin shitty religion at the door.

BloodFuck

Postby BloodFuck » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:35 am

Whats poor?
JeffJack is Christian

donvito

Postby donvito » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:39 am

a life of baselines and tsingdaos whats not to love

nazi scum

Postby nazi scum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:08 am

Im surprised that on the benefit you can afford any lines at all. If you had a decent disposable income you could afford a decent tasty beer. And some decent lines

Bloodfuck, I dont know if your parents were to poor to send you to school or if you just had a poor performance at comprehension, but if you dont know the meaning to words I suggest a dictionary. Mr Google has one you can use, Dictionary.com. It has this to say:

"poor
adjective, -er, -est, noun
–adjective
1. having little or no money, goods, or other means of support: a poor family living on welfare.
2. Law . dependent upon charity or public support.
3. (of a country, institution, etc.) meagerly supplied or endowed with resources or funds.
4. characterized by or showing poverty.
5. deficient or lacking in something specified: a region poor in mineral deposits.
6. faulty or inferior, as in construction: poor workmanship.
7. deficient in desirable ingredients, qualities, or the like: poor soil.
8. excessively lean or emaciated, as cattle.
9. of an inferior, inadequate, or unsatisfactory kind: poor health.
10. lacking in skill, ability, or training: a poor cook.
11. deficient in moral excellence; cowardly, abject, or mean.
12. scanty, meager, or paltry in amount or number: a poor audience.
13. humble; modest: They shared their poor meal with a stranger.
14. unfortunate; hapless: The poor dog was limping.

In this case definitions both 1 and 2 would be appropriate.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:43 am

what if youre like me, cant even get a benefit? no fuckin jobs, almost keen to join darrens buddies, cos its fairly clear that if something goes wrong in your life and not female or maori, nobody gives a fuck.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:46 am

now now no need for thinking like that. just remember it's a class war that's being waged by the elite, not a race war and that shit is just a distraction.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:11 pm

im not so easily manipulated, but lets face it, the NF are the only political group thats ever publicly recognised this fact.
in fact most people on this forum wont admit it, or most people anywhere for that matter, saying so is to be considered racist/sexist which is pretty sweetly ironic since the kind of ostracism associated with those terms is the same that used to be reserved for homos or outspoken women/non whites.

i think youve got to remember that its not 'the elite' that are directly my problem, these people might be manipulated by them, but thats like saying if a christian stabs me i should blame god.

Dick Dynamite

Postby Dick Dynamite » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:32 pm

What are you actually on about? Is there some maori/women only benefit I don't know about?

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:26 pm

From my experience, Maori & Women are subjected to less "jump through hoops to get this" than say, Joe Blogs White bread that just got laid off cause his boss went under.

donvito

Postby donvito » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 pm

i would never snort pall malls

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Fiction & Falsehood wrote:in fact most people on this forum wont admit it

kimura

Postby kimura » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:51 pm

I can attest that as a joe bloggs white bread there are hoops of fire around winz, you have to be some crazy circus trick tiger to get in there.
Change in circumstances had me out of a job (good references) customer service/helpdesk sorta thing. No income and was looking for new job so thought I would try and get some Winz money to tide me over. Staff made me feel like a big piece of shit and always implied that it's not for 'my kind' of people.

Anyway, got new income source before it got really tight, but yeah....happy not to deal with them again if possible.

And hey, I'm all for smart spending/responsible spending by those on benifits, but I mean if they got buy 20 beers and cant buy dinner thats their problem - maybe budgeting advise education should be part of school but either don't need a card to limit what you can and can't do.

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:14 pm

I can attest that as a Maori woman there are plenty of hoops of fire around winz, and you have to suck it up if you want to be able to feed your kid. Like many other Maori mothers I know, we work part-time, we pay that secondary income tax, we still get shit from WINZ workers.

And we get labelled as 'those kinds' of people.

I buy beer and smokes after I've paid my bills and got our kai for the week.
As far as I'm concerned, I'm paying extra tax because of my addictions.

Also, I'm trying to sell my art online. It's a legitimate business that I pay tax for as well.
http://aotearoa666.com/

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:18 pm

Don't lie Mel, we all know its caviare eaten off solid gold plates while you stare at your picasso and laugh at the white male underlings that fetch you your chinchilla slippers.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:33 pm

fuck aidan your obsequiousness in towing the politically correct line makes your awful attempt at humour almost amusing, albeit in an ironic and unintentional manner.

youre a real fuckin asshole sometimes.

FC
Orange Ska Dork

Postby FC » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:41 pm

From my own experiences with the benefit, I had fuck all hoops to jump through. I turned up the first time, they made me make a job diary. I showed them the job diary, they gave me free money and haven't bothered me since. Maybe not everyones experience is the same, but i'd rather be politically correct than constantly blaming society for my woes.
PertHJ wrote:I disagree with Aidans divergence from ska music, but agree with his correct use of scientific terms

Ois II Men|Hatewanx|XfrankgrimesX

Return to “Current Affairs”