Backyard Burial vocalist R.I.P.

Politics and the rest of world's madness all in here!
soulsnbones

Backyard Burial vocalist R.I.P.

Postby soulsnbones » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Wellington stabbing victim death metal singer

The man at the centre of a Wellington homicide inquiry was the vocalist in a death metal band who went by the stage name "Blaps Warmonger".

An autopsy today established Matthew John Hall, 35, who was found dead by a flatmate at his Johnsonville flat on Tuesday, died from multiple stab wounds.

Hall was a long-serving member of the popular Wellington death metal band Backyard Burial, formed by a group of school friends in Lower Hutt in 1998.

Numerous tributes have been left on the band's Facebook page, with many calling Hall's death "a great loss" to the metal music scene.

Manager of Wellington bar Medusa, Tamara Buckland, said the band members were "devastated" as they had known Hall for a very long time.

"He was an amazing guy," she said.

Backyard Burial released their debut album, titled Symptoms of Psychopathology, in 1999.

It was describe as the "long-awaited highly anticipated" debut album, which had "ten tracks of trademark Backyard Burial death/grind with guttural vocals, insane blasting and destructively rhythmic guitar chuggery".

On the band's website and Facebook page, Hall was listed under the name "Blaps "Chomper" Warmonger, Vocals".

Officer in charge of the investigation into Hall's death, Detective Senior Sergeant Dave Thornton, says a scene examination would continue today and is expected to take some time.

"We are now looking for the person or persons responsible for Mr Hall's death and are making steady progress with our enquiries to date, but it is still very early stages in the investigation."

A cordon was around the house - which is set back from the road and surrounded by trees - as 30 investigators worked on the case yesterday.

A neighbour said he came home on Tuesday night to hear yelling from the man's flatmate and see police in the driveway.

"I came home to hear a bit of hollering and that was it."

He had known the two men "a little bit", in a neighbourly fashion, and was disturbed by the death.

House owner and landlord How Yee Hong said the two men had lived there for seven or eight years with no problems.

Detective Senior Sergeant Dave Thornton, the officer in charge of the investigation, said the flatmate had to be calmed down by police after finding the body. He had gone to stay with friends.

"He is quite upset about what he has discovered, and was speaking to us last night for quite some time."

No weapon had been found and it was unclear what the cause of death was at this point.

"[There are] some injuries, but we'll be leaving that up to the pathologist to determine."

Police would talk to neighbours to find out if anyone had seen any suspicious activity. They called for witnesses, including taxi or courier drivers who may have been in the area, to come forward.

A motive was not yet clear, he said. "It's like putting the pieces of a jigsaw back together."

Police want to hear from anyone who was in the Broderick Road area on Tuesday 15 February 2011 in the afternoon and early evening, who heard or saw anything suspicious.

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4 ... tal-singer

[TeamPropagandhi]Mob King

Re: Backyard Burial singer stabbed to death...

Postby [TeamPropagandhi]Mob King » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:58 pm

RIP

wtf what a shame.
Make assassinations, not war!

fuzz

Postby fuzz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 pm

RIP

Condolences to his band members, friends and family. He was such an awesome vocalist and intense live performer.

geneterror666
Six Button Terrorist

Postby geneterror666 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:06 pm

RIP

Easily one of the best Death/Grind singers in NZ.

wassup rockers

Postby wassup rockers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

woah.... RIP..

xpigx

Postby xpigx » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Pretty horrific and extremely sad.
Matt was a really nice guy and an incredible vocalist... He will be missed.
Fuck up, fuck off.

akaxo

Postby akaxo » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

fuck, huge loss. his vocals blew me away every time i saw them play.
We must secure the extinction of all people and no future for any children

Honist Ta Hu

Postby Honist Ta Hu » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:21 pm

RIP

hiv-positive

Postby hiv-positive » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

RIP as. Really nice guy, lots of friends back home are pretty devastated.

That article irks me though. I don't really get the relevance of posting his stage name and the genre of music BB play - it's as if they're trying to discredit him in the eyes of muddle NZ, or link his death to his musical interests, which is pretty fucking retarded but entirely plausible for the average mouth breather. Who knows, perhaps the journalist was a fan, and it's not as if the rest of the article is sensationalist. I just found it a bit distasteful.

Marrow
real poo particles

Postby Marrow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:50 pm

RIP,
stink as

The Face

Postby The Face » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Matt was a great vocalist and an imposing, intimidating frontman. He was always a nice dude to me when old bands of mine played alongside BYB.

RIP. My thoughts are with his friends and family.

MuscleMan
smut peddler

Postby MuscleMan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:05 pm

RIP

PertHJ
Inventor of 'LOAL'

Postby PertHJ » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Man what a shame, such a terrifying and engageing front for a band, always impressed by that. Condolences to all that knew and cared for him.

I actually thought the article was a lot better than it could have been, didn't seem to demonise the genre but rather paid respect to the guy being a big part of a community.
http://hungjurynz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.discogs.com/user/pertHJ

Drinking beers, hell yeah!! Smoking dope, KICK TO THROAT!!

The Cancer

Postby The Cancer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Such a massive loss. An awesome guy and an amazing vocalist. Tragic. Hope his whanau and friends are holding in there.
http://www.facebook.com/rwentertainment

"Listen Lois, I know you're a feminist and I think that's adorable, but this is grown-up time and I'm the man". - Peter Griffin

melpomene

Postby melpomene » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Terrible news. Only ever spoke to him at gigs but always had time for me. Fucking awesome singer in a great band that has given me VERY MANY happy memories. RIP mate.
If we cut up beasts simply because they cannot prevent us and because we are backing our own side in the struggle for existence, it is only logical to cut up imbeciles, criminals, enemies, or capitalists for the same reasons.
--C. S. Lewis (novelist and essayist)

"What I think about vivisection is that if people admit that they have the right to take or endanger the life of living beings for the benefit of many, there will be no limit to their cruelty."
--Leo Tolstoy, author

Devon

Postby Devon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:03 pm

RIP. One of the scariest(onstage) people I've ever met!
Pipiru piru piru pipiru pi

dustbinflowers

Postby dustbinflowers » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm

shit. RIP Matt. Echoing what others have said- what a loss, such a talented guy. My thoughts are with family and friends.
Uncinia vector

refrigerator

Postby refrigerator » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Really really shit.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 pm

i didnt know him, but i liked his band.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

snuff
Information Highway Patrol

Postby snuff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Man thats rats as.

RIP
I guess you really need to ask yourself... What Would Graeme Do?

blastman

Postby blastman » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 pm

Terrible news about Matt.

I've been fortunate to see B.B. many times and was ALWAYS tripped out by Matt as a vocalist and a performer.
I'll always remember that Backyard Burial gig where they supported New York Death/grind band SKINLESS at Sub-9 in Wellies. The vocalist from Skinless mentioned that Matt was the most intense-looking frontman he's possibly come across.

R.I.P.

Subcide

Postby Subcide » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:32 am

'I Like It When You Die' is the fourth album by American grindcore band Anal Cunt. The album was originally titled You're Gay, and the album cover was going to contain a mirror, but this idea was later changed

SupaScoopa

Postby SupaScoopa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Shocking news. Like many, I had the pleasure of playing shows over the last decade with BYB - those dudes have to be one of the longest bands to stick around in NZ Metal. Such a tradegy and a shock. It scares me more to think that the person who did this is out there is perhaps someone in the scene too.. I fucking hope not. And i hope they get caught.

RIP Matt - Condolences to the rest of BYB, His close friends, family and colueges. :(

Martli
Formerly known as Jared.com

Postby Martli » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Latest stuff article for those interested http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/4 ... gers-death

Bit by bit the media are starting to sensationalise this. Pieces of fucking filth.

I'm pretty fucking gutted. Never really knew him but I have been a backyard burial fan since I was about 16: they certainly shaped me as a musician and as a fan of metal. The first PooHate album I helped create was basically Backyard Burial worship, we were all obsessed with Matt's vocals and his aforementioned stage presence; the way he held the mic right up for his growls and then held it way back for his maniac screams. I'll also never forget the show he wore a wedding dress on stage for, that was fucking amazing. Really glad I went to his last Show and got to see the shows I did. This is a massive loss for the Wellington Metal scene and I hope they get the fucking bastard quickly. It's sort of a double whammy for me as well: my parents live about 200m up the road from where it happened, it's in the area I grew up in and pretty much right next to the primary school I used to attend.

Anyway, there were some drinks for him down at Medusa on Wednesday and a mural was made for him. I'd encourage everyone to write a message on the mural next time you're at medusa.

RIP Matt.

"LAST OF THE RUTHLESS CUNTS"
Cosmo Kramer wrote:key word being "probaber;y"

mr sterile

Postby mr sterile » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:24 pm

This is really terrible news, very sad to hear of such a violent and tragic to a brilliant bloke.

mark tyler

Postby mark tyler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:21 pm

i only got to see these guys play once, and it was fucken radical. Always thought it was Punkfest 1999 when i was in The Knuckledraggers, but i could be wrong, might've been a year or two later. Anyway, it was on the saturday afternoon and it just seemed so surreal to be listening to this full on metal band fronted by the incredible ferocity of a guy that looked like he'd just walked out of a high school economics exam, on a lazy, hungover afternoon. We talked about that band for ages, and i've never forgotten it, especially the frontman. Aiden and Nath used to keep me filled in on what they were up to.
Only spoke to Matt briefly so can't say i knew him at all, but his performance made the same kinda impact on me that it did on everyone else, and by all accounts he was a GC. A huge loss.
And fucken hell, what drives a person to do something like this? The cop on TV reckoned they were the most horrific injuries he'd seen 8O
Bazooka send their thoughts and condolences to his friends and family. RIP.
General Mutante wrote:This just goes to show that if you've got anything remotely constructive to say then here's not the best place to say it.

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:12 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_91JDdaLE[/youtube]
Last edited by Fiction & Falsehood on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering,” -Mother Theresa

jenimal

Postby jenimal » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:05 pm

Did a bit of a tribute yesterday. Sorry should have forwarned everyone but too much going on.

R.I.P. Matt.

We miss you brother.

http://www.heavymetal.co.nz/forum/viper ... 97-25.html

Maleficent
mama poopoo

Postby Maleficent » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:45 am

Fucking hell I just found out about this over the weekend. My thoughts go out to Matt's friends. I really liked Backyards cds when I heard them, and Mike Siddons made me watch them at Punkfest in 2000. Matt was an impressive vocalist.
What a great recommendation... what an end of an era!
My son only got to see them when he was still in my puku, think that was the last time I saw them live in 2005.

RIP
http://aotearoa666.com/

Fiction & Falsehood

Postby Fiction & Falsehood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:26 am

if anyone gives a shit, my defining memory of this band is at the valve, stoned as fuck, by myself, freshcut head, white laces, skintight black jeans and SHARP patches on a big blue flight jacket, shitting myself wondering if i was aboutta get my fuckin head kicked in.

shit was awesome.

Return to “Current Affairs”